As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Permanent [chat]-Emperor Chanus! Love Live the Chanus!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Ok so it appears that the above tweeter is not the realtor. The realtor was tweeting under his own name. The one who has the hansolo account is apparently just a troll who decided to go after Patton Oswald after the realtor was fired.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Ok so it appears that the above tweeter is not the realtor. The realtor was tweeting under his own name. The one who has the hansolo account is apparently just a troll who decided to go after Patton Oswald after the realtor was fired.

Fair enough. She's still winning.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Our time is soon. Prepare to seize the means of chat production.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Our time is soon. Prepare to seize the means of chat production.

... keyboards?

• Options
    Only 11? Weak. Steve, find me someone who's strangled 20 men under the 16th Street Bridge.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Why is it always you who finds the dankest internet performance art?

Also I talked to your advisor and your thesis is due one week from today. Final draft no take backs.

knitdan on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    this conan game is a lot like Ark

apparently I can kidnap dudes and make them turn a giant wheel?

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

So much so that some Ark devs were being dinks and going into streams asking what Ark mod they were playing.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Why is it always you who finds the dankest internet performance art?

Also I talked to your advisor and your thesis is due one week from today. Final draft no take backs.

Welp, it was nice knowing you folks

*lies down on railroad tracks*

• Options
    edited February 2017

So much so that some Ark devs were being dinks and going into streams asking what Ark mod they were playing.

It's made me realize I'd like Ark more if there were a bunch of tribes of npc dudes to fite

Also Ark needs managing dino pets to be less horrible

override367 on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Fuck if this video doesn't make me want to purchase and download Titanfall 2 immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bx5t0baXhc

(I'm waiting on the VR version of Doom)

I don't see how it'll be playable, a fast pased FPS seems like the opposite of the kind of experience that works in VR

playing Skyrim in VR combat is the worst part of it, just running around town and knocking things off shelves with your head is worth hours of enjoyment though

override367 on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Override what if they made a VR Teemo game

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Fuck if this video doesn't make me want to purchase and download Titanfall 2 immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bx5t0baXhc

(I'm waiting on the VR version of Doom)

I don't see how it'll be playable, a fast pased FPS seems like the opposite of the kind of experience that works in VR

playing Skyrim in VR combat is the worst part of it, just running around town and knocking things off shelves with your head is worth hours of enjoyment though

Roomscale VR where you can move around and dodge, plus the usual "teleport" function, except instead of an actual teleport it's like a super-dash in a particular direction.

Early reports are that it's pretty intense and basically the most intuitive implementation of the VR teleport function so far.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

It's made me realize I'd like Ark more if there were a bunch of tribes of npc dudes to fite

Also Ark needs managing dino pets to be less horrible

If you figure out where to find ironstone let me know. It was my biggest bottleneck today as I did a cheaty solo server

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Ark also needs the material cost for, like, every recipe to be reduced about 60%

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Ark also needs its engine to be optimized but I have a good computer so I give no fuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkksssssssss

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    @Feral @TL DR

zp8Qe7q.png

Testing your backups.

• Options
    FF7 remake is never coming out
    “We’re currently brushing up the scene from the announcement trailer,” Kitase says. “We can now see the line of quality that we’re aiming for more clearly, but there’s still a ways to go.” The team’s goal is to carry this effort through the project’s multiple episode releases.

So how will they fill the gap while waiting for each episode? Kitase says they don’t have any plans to do another Final Fantasy VII Compilation-type project for now. Because they can’t release each volume in just a few months of each other, however, he says they’d like to think of a way to supplement the gaps to hold interest.

As for downloadable content, Kitase notes he’d like to useFinal Fantasy XV as a reference. “A live stream or a program to keep in touch with the users is something I’d like to do, butFinal Fantasy VII Remake will be episodic, and if we want to have it go all the way to the end of the original version, then I believe we’ll need to devote everything we got for it, so I have no idea what will happen for things such as filler development [between episodes] and other works.”

Currently the base of the battle system has been solidified. Kitase confirms both Tetsuya Nomura and Mitsunori Takahashi, who worked on the Kingdom Hearts series andDissidia Final Fantasy series, are putting their best into it. Although he can’t say much at the moment, he also stresses they won’t be removing any parts of the original FFVII that were well received, such as the Materia system.

In closing, Kitase hopes to show progress made on Final Fantasy VII Remake sometime this year. He thinks it would be nice if they could have it playable or a trailer for it at an event. Famitsu also asked him about a possible Final Fantasy VI Remake, to which he replied: “Right now, we’re working onFinal Fantasy VII… The staff within the company are also saying [they’d like to remake it] but it’s on reserve.”

• Options
    Feral "TL DR"

zp8Qe7q.png

Testing your backups.

too real.

• Options
    Also amazing interview from Danny O'Dwyer with John Romero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJqWA3UPsPg

• Options
    mWdYXrt.jpg

Cancer in a can.

• Options
    I would like to play a survival game with chatters but Im never really available at the same hours./

• Options
    9F6ptkn.gif

• Options
    I wish the people at Square who just want to make movies would go make movies and let people who actually want to make games make the games.

• Options
    9F6ptkn.gif

The history of radium sure is something.

"Radium kills cancer - it must be good for you!"

*drinks radium*

*body parts start to literally crumble and fall off a few years later due to bone loss*

• Options
    Feral wrote: »
    9F6ptkn.gif

The history of radium sure is something.

"Radium kills cancer - it must be good for you!"

*drinks radium*

*body parts start to literally crumble and fall off a few years later due to bone loss*

Yeah there are a lot of earlier radiation treatments for things that are just fucked. And asbestos is just sad. The shit is a wonder material. So many industrial uses. But nature has a fucked up sense of humor.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    9F6ptkn.gif

The good news is that most supposedly radioactive products were just snake oil with no actual radium in them

Not so good for watchmaking girls, though

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Ark also needs the material cost for, like, every recipe to be reduced about 60%

General workaround on every server I've played on has been to increase the gather rate by 300-500%

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »

General workaround on every server I've played on has been to increase the gather rate by 300-500%

that makes sense

• Options
    and increase the poop rate

• Options
    moar poops

• Options
    Poops for the poop god

Turds for the turd throne

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    SEIZE THE MEANS OF CHAT PRODUCTION

• Options
    @elldren you might like this.
    So I've mentioned a few times, this relatively minor but (ostensibly) remarkable piece of engineering from WWII Japan: the Nakajima Homare. Sadly it doesn't seem like there is a whole lot of information on in, at least in English, so I'm still a little bit in the dark about what its deal is. I'll post a bunch of info and thoughts and see where this goes.

So, this engine was...an anomaly, for a number of reasons. The first, and most significant to me is that it came from Japan. While post-war Japanese industry has pretty much thoroughly mastered the piston engine, during WWII, and especially for aircraft, they generally sucked when compared with their peers/competitors. They preferred radial engines; in general their designs seriously lagged behind Germany/US/UK in most major performance categories; at the same time they so neglected inline engines that their only competent variant was a license built DB-600 series. So, their aircraft designers suffered through years of supbar engines, forcing them to come up with some pretty brilliant/elegant solutions to get around their shortcomings....and then all of a damn sudden in mid-1943, from out of nowhere comes this absolute world-beater of an engine in the Homare.

It was the biggest reason being the late-war Japanese fighters (mainly the Ki-84 and N1K) being so formidable in spite of practically every imaginable operational shortcoming; specs-wise it shamed every other piston engine that saw action during the war. It was developed and fielded during a period of extreme drought with regard to metals and quality fuel, and in an environment that was...not particularly conducive to major engineering projects in general (due to large amounts of high explosive and incendiary devices falling from the sky on a regular basis). It certainly wasn't problem free though, like with every Japanese engine it had reliability issues and it was an absolute monster to maintain, but once the kinks were worked out of manufacturing and maintenance processes its reputation seems to be, at least from the Japanese, to be pretty sterling.

Here's (I think) a picture of one, and also a gorgeous F-86:

Here's the Pratt and Whitney R-2800, which is rightly regarded as the premier all-around aero engine of the war. I'll use it as kind of a comparison from here on out.

So on first glance, you can clearly see the differences in workmanship: the American engine is pretty exquisitely crafted: very clean lines on the cooling fins, hardline tubing, etc. The Homare just looks rougher, which is pretty consistent with what postwar intel sources say about it. The curious thing is usually with aero engines, rougher construction means poorer tolerances and more weight, but it didn't in this case.

Some vital specs comparing it to other 18 cylinder late-war monsters. I won't get into variants and whatnot because who gives a fuck

Homare
    Output: 1990 hp
    Power:weight - 1.11 hp/lb
    Specific Power - .91 hp/cuin
    Frontal Area - 118 cm
    Compression Ratio - 8.0

R-2800 (powered the F6F, F4U, P-47, among others)
    Output: 2100 hp
    Power:weight - .89 hp/lb
    Specific Power - .75 hp/cuin
    Frontal Area - 134 cm
    Compression Ratio - 6.75

Bristol Centaurus (powered the Tempest and Fury, later design)
    Output: 2520 hp
    Power:weight - .77 hp/lb
    Specific Power - .94 hp/cuin
    Frontal Area - 140 cm
    Compression Ratio - 7.2

BMW-801 (not an 18 cylinder and much earlier, but for comparison's sake...powered the Fw-190)
    Output: 1539 hp
    Power:weight - .69 hp/lb
    Specific Power - .6 hp/cuin
    Frontal Area - 129 cm
    Compression Ratio - 6.5

Rolls Royce Griffon (not a radial, but just for comparison's sake...powered the late war Spitfires)
    Output: ~2000 hp
    Power:weight: 1.03 hp/lb
    Specific Power: .91 hp/cuin
    Compression Radio: 6

A quick explanation of why these numbers are sort of important: output and power:weight should be obvious, specific power (that is, how much power you get out of a given displacement) is related to weight, but also to manufacturing cost and internal volume (you want the least amount of both). Frontal area is basically engine diameter and it is just as important if not moreso than power:weight for an aircraft - for a radial-powered aircraft the engine is a huge source of drag; minimizing the amount of frontal area decreases said drag and thus is very desirable. Compression ratio is just how much the fuel/air mixture gets squished by the cylinder before ignition.

So, for a WWII airplane nerd, the Homare's specs are pretty eye opening. It isn't just better than the most highly regarded engines of the era, it is a LOT better. Its frontal area is comparable to the tiny cute prewar radials, its power/weight is, I think, the best of any widely manufactured aero engine of the era. What has confused/baffled me for a while is HOW, especially considering that the Japanese didn't have access to miracles like 150 octane fuel and decent alloys. My hypothesis has three parts:

1: They cranked the compression ratio way the fuck up. Compression ratio is a pretty good general indicator of engine efficiency - a modern Honda D engine runs about 10, a high performance road car might get as high as 13, the fantastic naturally aspirated vintage F1 engines could get as high as 17. Most WWII aero engines hovered between 6 and 7, and it was generally not thought of to jack it much higher...it caused more engine wear, more chances for detonation (which could be catastrophic at those power levels), and increased the demands on machining quality and whatnot during manufacturing. It looks like though that the Japanese engineers said fuck it and pumped out a much higher performance engine despite these issues.

2. They used direct fuel injection on a radial. This wasn't a huge deal for inlines....fuel injection had been used widely since early in the war. However DFI was a lot trickier on radials...instead of having a nice injector that could just run fuel along the length of an inline engine, you had to inject fuel into each cylinder that was organized in, well, a radial fashion, and this was a pain in the ass. You also didn't have the issues of losing power under negative G's that carbureted inlines had, since there was always at least a few cylinders that were upright...so most radials just used a carburetor, albeit in the case of the R-2800, a very high tech one that wasn't affected by G forces.

3. They worked out some sort of efficiency in cooling that no one else figured out. This is...pure speculation on my part, but it is very hard to explain how they limited the frontal area of the engine so much. People smarter than me have speculated that the figured out some manner of increasing the airflow to the rear cylinders which was a huge deal for a two row radial....Wright tried something similar with the mammoth 3350 with the result that the rear cylinders tended to burst into flames and burn the wing off of its parent B-29 with alarming regularity.

The Homare certainly wasn't without its performance weaknesses....the biggest one was high altitude performance, and most of that problem can be directed squarely at its mediocre boost system. This makes sense given the Japanese limitations with alloys - these engines ran incredibly hot, but the turbo/superchargers ran even hotter. If you didn't have the metal that could deal with the heat, you had to turn it down. Hence, the Ki-84 and N1K were always outclassed by the USAAF heavies at high altitude, what with their multi-stage fancy pants boost systems. It was also, as mentioned earlier, pretty temperamental, to which you could certainly point to the complex design features as a contributing factor. That being said, its performance, especially considering the limitations (the largest being it had to rely on 87-92 octane fuel instead of the 120 or 150 shit the Americans and Brits got) is pretty remarkable.

• Options
    giant wombats who poop square poops that you can use as bricks to build shelter

so you can live in a grand wombat poop igloo

• Options
    "Wombat Poop Igloo" would be a good band name.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hmmm what to do with this asparagus

This discussion has been closed.