As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer Trouble

Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
More : typing this on my phone, which I usually never do, but all my browsers are crashing so I don't really have a choice.

So my computer seems fubar. Kind of hard for me to parse that but I'll try.

It's been acting slow/sluggish/tempermental for awhile even when opening the tiniest of documents, but things came to ahead yesterday when I got straight up blue screens of death during start up. I didn't write any of the errors down but it,was boot file related. Somehow managed to circumvent that and now it just boots up like regular but when I get to the desk too it straight up takes several minutes for any icons to load up

Been kind of panicking so I've been moving as much important stuff I can to backup drives, which has been taking awhile since several times the transfers would just randomly slow down of even go all the way down to zero. I swear I even saw it happen a few times when I was recycling stuff.

I've been trying to create a restore drive on a thumb several times but it says I can't.

And right now as I type this my bro set screen has gone black except for clock and start icon.

I don't know what to do. The laptop is a Toshiba with Windows 10 and is just a year old. I'm considering just going nuclear and just resetting the whole thing but I don't know where I would start with that it if it would be the best option.

I'm an online med student with homework do and I'm legit scared here and need to get this worked asap. Any advice (even if it's just take it to a shop) would be appreciated

FC: 1907-8030-1478

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Boot into safe mode, back up any files you want to keep to a thumb drive and then reboot and hit whatever f-key you need to use to go into the hard drive utilities menu.

Once in the menu you should be able to select a type of system restore.

If the option exists, you can try restoring without formatting. I would almost certainly say this is a waste of time as it sounds like you've got the internet herpes.

The better, more satisfying option is restore factory defaults. It will go through the process of formatting the drive and reinstalling the factory default operating system. You will lose everything not backed up to a cloud service or on some other media.

Edit: Or you can go to Office Depot or Best Buy and pay someone 300$ to do what I just wrote.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Thanks. I think I'll just go for the factory restore option once I've double checked on rebacking some stuff. I guess I'm more concerned if it's actually a hardware issue than a software one, and just wanted some identification help

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i hate "the cloud" for many reasons but online backups are really great for this kind of stuff. one drive, google drive, anything like that can be great, especially for school work.
    I would check and see if you are out of disk space and run disk cleanup too. windows running out of room can cause all sorts of weird issues.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    Thanks. I think I'll just go for the factory restore option once I've double checked on rebacking some stuff. I guess I'm more concerned if it's actually a hardware issue than a software one, and just wanted some identification help

If it's hardware related, I'd wager it's on the end of a failing hard drive. I don't think it is though, it just sounds like you have a registry that has been ruined with malware and maybe a virus messing with system files. That's just as a guess, though.

• Options
    "There was a problem resetting you pc. No settings were changed"

Triedit a few times and and that pops up when it gets to 50 percent. Maybe I need a recovery disk? I know it didn't care me with one though...

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

Triedit a few times and and that pops up when it gets to 50 percent. Maybe I need a recovery disk? I know it didn't care me with one though...

Some ship with a recovery disk and some prefer you to go online and type in your serial number to download one.

You can also download a fresh copy of Win10 from Microsoft and just use the product key on the bottom of the laptop as well. You'll need to custom load your drivers, but at that point you can do a full restore partition to make restores easier in the future.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Some ship with a recovery disk and some prefer you to go online and type in your serial number to download one.

You can also download a fresh copy of Win10 from Microsoft and just use the product key on the bottom of the laptop as well. You'll need to custom load your drivers, but at that point you can do a full restore partition to make restores easier in the future.

Unfortunately, since every browser I try (firefox, explorer, google) seems to keep crashing. I don't think downloading anything is an option. And now I'm getting application errors for seemingly nothing when my desk top boots up.

I guess I'm going to have drive to a star and just buy a new copy of Windows? I'm not really sure what other options I have.

Edit: May have gotten through

Shenl742 on
  • Options
    Okay! Got windows to reinstall and everything looks and runs good so far. Thank you everyone for the help and patience, and I'll keep all the advice in mind for next time. Much appreciated it.

• Options
    So...my laptops been working perfectly since Then...but when I started it up I now get a "no bootable device found, please restart message". I checked the bios to ma me sure it's still booting from the hard drive and it says it is. Is my hard drive actually dying or something?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    So...my laptops been working perfectly since Then...but when I started it up I now get a "no bootable device found, please restart message". I checked the bios to ma me sure it's still booting from the hard drive and it says it is. Is my hard drive actually dying or something?

I just had this happen to a SSD in a work laptop. It basically was beyond recovery and they had to replace the drive completely.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

It might be dead already, but it can also "just" be that the content of the drive ie. the data on it has been garbled or deleted.

If you have something of importance on the drive you can try and boot from a USB stick with hard drive tools to try and recover data. With drive tools you can also access the S.M.A.R.T. data from the drives controller - it might tell you something about it's condition. Alternatively you can mode the drive to a USB enclosure and hook that up to a working computer and try to rescue data from there.

If you don't have anything important on the drive try doing a windows reinstall from a USB stick. Doing so will - to some extent - test the drive so you can learn if it dead.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.