As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS EXTINCT! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Well, clearly Mage is the wrong class for this brawl (or I'm just on a nice losing streak)...

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Well, clearly Mage is the wrong class for this brawl (or I'm just on a nice losing streak)...

Nah - like all "Random Bullshit" brawls, your opponent will either luck into the randomest of bullshit and blow you out of the water, or they'll get something slightly less bullshit and win after 20 rounds.

You will get an absolutely amazing deck exactly once.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    You'd think, but first game I switch to warrior and face a mage I win. :P

• Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    Okay, this Finja variant of pirate warrior is damn fun.

Great I can't remember if I opened Finja or not. I remember I either got him or the Rogue Legendary opening packs. I'll need to load it up tonight and check. After watching Kibler play it in Paladin I think it seemed like a really fun card

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    So this happened to me: I have a 1 HP patron and a pyro on board, and cast commanding shout. I expected I would get an extra patron (he survived the pyro's fire), but I didn't.

Why not?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    A creature at 1 hp with the Commanding Shout effect active does not take damage, and thus does not trigger any on-damage effects such as Grim Patron.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    My brawl pack gave me an Onyxia dupe. Yay, dust!

Also, I won every Finja Warrior game yesterday except a mirror vs Pirate. 7/1 from 17 to 15.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Great I can't remember if I opened Finja or not. I remember I either got him or the Rogue Legendary opening packs. I'll need to load it up tonight and check. After watching Kibler play it in Paladin I think it seemed like a really fun card

I really like the card. It's better than I thought in that Finja doesn't need to stay alive to summon the two Murlocs, which makes it easier to summon your whole troop from the deck over two turns. I'd say it's beneficial in the same way that Patches is too, pulling cards straight from your deck to thin it from "bad draws" seems to be the OP secret ingredient.

I'm curious how a Murloc/Pirate Shaman hybrid would work with Everyfin/Finishers along with the pirate/finja packages.

Edit--Oops double post.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Here's an Inner Fire Priest deck I've been messing around with. When the ladder changes come next month I'll take it there and actually have some fun.

• Options

I really like the card. It's better than I thought in that Finja doesn't need to stay alive to summon the two Murlocs, which makes it easier to summon your whole troop from the deck over two turns. I'd say it's beneficial in the same way that Patches is too, pulling cards straight from your deck to thin it from "bad draws" seems to be the OP secret ingredient.

I'm curious how a Murloc/Pirate Shaman hybrid would work with Everyfin/Finishers along with the pirate/finja packages.

Edit--Oops double post.

Kilber has some videos on the murloc shaman thing I'm not sure if it's pirate hybrid though.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    C5W-f1MVUAIrb8j.jpg

o hey wot's all dis den

(I got my tweet read on air during Tespa's Collegiate Hearthstone Series thingmabob and they gave me the card back because I got selected)

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I think they're eventually going to need to introduce a new limited format. They keep needing to monkey with Arena to make it playable, mostly cutting cards and making cards appear less. I really think they should do something like MTG sealed where you pick a class, you get assigned maybe 50 randomized cards (with a certain number of rares, epics and legendaries) and build a 30 card deck out of that. Getting a Pit Fighter or Magma Rager isn't that bad when you aren't forced to play it.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    C5W-f1MVUAIrb8j.jpg

o hey wot's all dis den

(I got my tweet read on air during Tespa's Collegiate Hearthstone Series thingmabob and they gave me the card back because I got selected)

You lucky son of a gun

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Here's an Inner Fire Priest deck I've been messing around with. When the ladder changes come next month I'll take it there and actually have some fun.
    Breakfast challenged me this morning with this deck and it was fun to play against.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    djFindusdjFindus Registered User regular
    I am LOVING this Wild deck I picked up off of Reddit!

C4OIn1r.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2017

Street Trickster + Inner Fire = 4 mana 7/7. :+1: Interesting deck, might try it out. Could be worth tossing in Dirty Rats for Reno techs and for early taunt against pirate package.

Edit - Also a way to sneak Thalnos in there would really help. Is Grook Fu really the best 5 slot card for this kind of deck? Granted it's 30 damage for 10 mana over two turns if it survives, but I have a feeling you probably see him die before attacking.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular

Street Trickster + Inner Fire = 4 mana 7/7. :+1: Interesting deck, might try it out. Could be worth tossing in Dirty Rats for Reno techs and for early taunt against pirate package.

Edit - Also a way to sneak Thalnos in there would really help. Is Grook Fu really the best 5 slot card for this kind of deck? Granted it's 30 damage for 10 mana over two turns if it survives, but I have a feeling you probably see him die before attacking.

I like those thoughts!

I could see tossing the Grook-Fus' for Thalnos and maybe another Holy Nova...
    I'd be worried about playing Dirty Rats without also having combo pieces to play that turn so the rat could deal with whatever it pulled the next turn.

Something else to note about the deck is that it's got two win-cons. Inner Fire is the obvious one but with all that spell power? Stick that to the board and then double Mind Blast / double Holy Fire for incredible burst.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

I won a mage mirror match on my first game. Of course, two of my legendaries were Finja and Old Murk-eye, so...

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Two Barnes in your opening hand for this Brawl is a juuuuuust a bit of a steamroll.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    New modes I'd love see added to Arena:
    • Standard Arena - Uses the changes they've described from the recent blog (150g)
    • Wild Arena - The original Arena mode (150g)
    • Draft Mode - Get 50 cards and make a deck from them (175g)
    • Competitive Draft Mode - You're presented with 2 cards and pick 1. The unpicked card goes to your opponent. Each player drafts 15 cards within a 45-60 second time limit. If time runs out, you and your opponent get random selections from unpicked cards. This could allow drafting cards outside your class. (175g)

These extra modes would satisfy a large variety of players. Traditionalists would still have the same old Wild Arena they know and love, while Standard Arena would bring the traditional model to current standards. Draft would test deck building skills, while Comp Draft would push those skills to the extreme. 175g options would allow you to finally have a use for those lingering 5g left over.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So, in one iteration of this Brawl, I got 2x Patches in my opening hand post-mulligan (had 0 before the mulligan, so don't give me too much crap).

My opponent passed on turn 1. I played Patches the First, who summoned the other two from my deck, then coined out the last one to go face for 4 damage. "Hah hah!" I thought.

My opponent (Mage) played Aggressive Play, Sergeant "Motherfucker" Sally, and pinged her.

Motherfucker.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I got 2 Rags out in this brawl and was about to play the priest legendary that summons a 1/1 version of each of your current creatures but the warrior conceded, the swine.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    I got 2 Rags out in this brawl and was about to play the priest legendary that summons a 1/1 version of each of your current creatures but the warrior conceded, the swine.

How rude!

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    My opponent passed on turn 1. I played Patches the First, who summoned the other two from my deck, then coined out the last one to go face for 4 damage. "I'm in charge now!" I thought.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    New modes I'd love see added to Arena:
    • Standard Arena - Uses the changes they've described from the recent blog (150g)
    • Wild Arena - The original Arena mode (150g)
    • Draft Mode - Get 50 cards and make a deck from them (175g)
    • Competitive Draft Mode - You're presented with 2 cards and pick 1. The unpicked card goes to your opponent. Each player drafts 15 cards within a 45-60 second time limit. If time runs out, you and your opponent get random selections from unpicked cards. This could allow drafting cards outside your class. (175g)

These extra modes would satisfy a large variety of players. Traditionalists would still have the same old Wild Arena they know and love, while Standard Arena would bring the traditional model to current standards. Draft would test deck building skills, while Comp Draft would push those skills to the extreme. 175g options would allow you to finally have a use for those lingering 5g left over.

It wouldn't surprise me if they're worried about splitting the Arena player base.

But I would love a Draft mode like the one you describe. Maybe even charge a little bit more, but depending on wins you get to keep a number of the drafted cards.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Always a possibility, but if not enough people are playing Wild Arena, you simply get rid of it. I think the 2 draft modes are unique enough from each other to warrant a big player pool. And if one isn't performing, simply remove it too.

I don't think I'd allow players to keep drafted cards. Give out larger dust amounts and let them craft them instead.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    First try at the brawl. Im a mage...i play two sylvannas t4, my opponent plays a 4/5 and Gruul.

Really? Why would you do that?

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Always a possibility, but if not enough people are playing Wild Arena, you simply get rid of it.

this does not seem like an appropriate place to say "simply"

that's like, a pretty bad waste of resources if you do that

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Always a possibility, but if not enough people are playing Wild Arena, you simply get rid of it.

I mean, they did the exact same thing with Skirmishes in WoW, right? Barely anyone was using those so they just, scrapped it. Entirely. Wholesale. Gone.

Plus they've already stated that if there is a really strong negative reaction towards Standard Arena they'll just flip it back to "normal".

I don't see why it's something they couldn't do, in this hypothetical scenario.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    I'm surprised Azure Drake is going. I know it's a good card and finds its way into many decks but I didn't think it was oppressive or anything (although I would take a deep breath when playing against it as priest).

Is the tournament a US server thing? I've got all my cards EU side (I have a 3 week old girl so I probably couldn't commit).
    I don't know why they didn't just nerf the stats as has been the way for the past 3 years. Would Azure Drake still be an auto-include in 50% of decks if it were a 3/4 or a 4/3?

I wonder why they are going with this "Hall of Fame" treatment for these cards when at least some of them could have been addressed with stat tweaks (Conceal is probably the hardest to deal with without completely gutting it since the core card is all about non-interactivity). I'm not really complaining since we'll be getting free dust, but maybe I just feel bad for the poor Warsong Commanders and Molten Giants that got shafted into 100% uselessness before they came up with a different system.

That said, no Adventure (apparently) makes me sad. :(

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

I mean, they did the exact same thing with Skirmishes in WoW, right? Barely anyone was using those so they just, scrapped it. Entirely. Wholesale. Gone.

Plus they've already stated that if there is a really strong negative reaction towards Standard Arena they'll just flip it back to "normal".

I don't see why it's something they couldn't do, in this hypothetical scenario.
    He means the resources to build a separate Arena queue.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Also, I wonder why Thalnos isn't getting Hall of Famed. He is more or less just as auto-include as Azure Drakes are.

• Options
    If they're going to push wild they really need to change the dust cost of cards for the wild format. If you can't open them from packs/buy adventures they need to reduce dust cost to something around 20/50/200/500. You're basically going to price everyone out of wild who doesn't have every adventure and most of the high quality legendries.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

I don't see how them badly screwing something up once excuses them to badly screw something up again :p

And yeah, what coinage said.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Also, I wonder why Thalnos isn't getting Hall of Famed. He is more or less just as auto-include as Azure Drakes are.

He's a lot less auto-include, I think. He's also a single-card slot in the 2-mana slot, which leaves a whole bunch of other room for other 1, 2, and 3-mana cards. The problem with Azure Drake is that it's 2 5-mana minions. And in many decks you don't include too many more than that, so it suffocated the space a lot more.

Similarly with, say, Ragnaros. Most decks don't include more than one or two really big, late-game finishers. And Rag was always in that spot.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    forty wrote: »

Thalnos is way different from azure drake in that the body isn't relevant. The comparison between the two is natural since they have the same mechanics, but in practice thalnos is pretty much just loot hoarder+kobold geomancer, which is a nifty utility thing some decks want. But azure drake is more than that, because a 4/4 to actively contest the board, replaces itself so it getting removed is nbd, and had spellpower synergies and dragon synergies on top of that? It just does too much for too many decks.

Oh, also you can run two and it fucks over priests disproportionately hard.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, Priest players don't cringe when Thalnos hits the board. In fact, they probably grin at their free spell power and card draw for 1 mana.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Thalnos is the most low impact a card can be while still being good.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Thalnos is really annoying for me, because I don't have one, though he fits into every deck.

I get a lot of satisfaction from using Potion of Madness on him.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Breakfast challenged me this morning with this deck and it was fun to play against.

I agree, my Anyfin Palladin happened to have the perfect answers throughout the whole game, but it seemed like a fun deck otherwise.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!