As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[John Wick] is back and his thread contains unmarked spoilers

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    There has to be a flashback to "the impossible task" in Chapter 3, right?

I hope they never explain it

• Options
    Thoughts on a particular aspect of the assassination contracts
    entering the data through like 3 levels of archaic tech and then having it sent out to the Nokia slide phones that all these assassins carry in 2017 was kinda dumb

but

I love that the call center is staffed entirely by cute rockabilly pinups

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    With A fucking Pencil... JW2 spoilers

we knew that was coming, but holy shit was it fucking violent. Like you'd expect maybe eye or throat not straight through the fucking ear and impaled the back of the skull.
    the ear kill got the best horrified gasps followed by thunderous applause I've ever heard from a theater audience

My theater had the same reaction

In general this was a great movie to watch with an audience, lots of great "OOOOHHHHH" moments

(End spoilers)
    I've never heard so many people gasp at once as I did when John shot Santiano in the hotel

We were all way into the universe in a way I don't think I've seen happen in a movie
    After he shot him, one woman in my theater said, quite audibly by everyone, "He gave NO fucks!"

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Thoughts on a particular aspect of the assassination contracts
    entering the data through like 3 levels of archaic tech and then having it sent out to the Nokia slide phones that all these assassins carry in 2017 was kinda dumb

but

I love that the call center is staffed entirely by cute rockabilly pinups

I feel like that might have actually been a neat method visually to show "this person is an assassin who suddenly wants to murder you"

Like, you could identify without doubt that all these folks looking at their dumb antiquated phones were in the Underworld because no one else would have a reason to own one - if a person was looking at some standard Samsung Galaxy their status might be dubious, but in that run-out sequence at the end it was even more clear that every person with one of those things was gonna be out to get him, and it wasn't John now being paranoid for his safety

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    okay after seing this, if they do a tv series, i don't want a prequel
    i want a series that bridges the gap between chapter 2 and chapter 3 because there is no way one movie can do it enough justice

overall, the movie really does rule, but i don't think it's as good as the first.

opening sequence notwithstanding, it took longer to get to a real good sweet spot of cool fight followed by cool fight followed by cool fight that the original did.
    i wasn't a real big fan of the escape through the concert after killing the sister. once they hit the tunnels though, it was fucking aces

the action is definitely ramped up. and the set pieces are much more diverse, as is the color palate. (really the only sin i could level at original john wick was it was the most blue and orange movie.)

i liked the world-building a lot more in the first, i think there are some moments in chapter 2 where the world they built was a little too stupid for me. then again, the biggest strength of the original john wick was how little they told you, which just isn't the same here.
    everything "accounts payable" felt super lame to me, for example

so yeah, the action is better and so much more diverse (for people who were turned off by how "samey" john wick classic's stuff was). the set design is unreal. the story stuff and world building just ain't on the same level.

I'm the opposite I think
    accounts payable was fucking badass

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Man, this movie was great. And makes me want to GM Shadowrun again so badly. Seriously, the middle stretch of this movie had all the elements of a great Shadowrun.
    An offer you can't refuse from a Mr. Johnson. The planning and prepwork for the infiltration, calling in favors, getting gear, getting floorplans, etc. Executing the run on the way in flawlessly, but then, at the destination, a twist, the lady kills herself. And then, on the way out, everything goes pear shaped, you get caught, it's a running gun battle. And BAM of course, in the end, the Mr. Johnson double crosses you and now you are really stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I swear this movie was like Shadowrun if all the main characters were physical adepts.

On the topic of antiquated phones:
    That didn't bug me. I assume most of them were using burner phones for their assassination work.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Alright, I guess I might have to go see this tomorrow.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    All I want to know is; where's my Ms Perkins focused prequel?

(I'm so excited for this film but it isn't out here until next week, the wait is excruciating.)

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who loved
    The whole ending fight was basically a giant Enter the Dragon homage

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who loved
    The whole ending fight was basically a giant Enter the Dragon homage

naw man

that shit was extremely my jam

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Good movie. Liked the first one better, but this one had its moments.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Man, this movie was great. And makes me want to GM Shadowrun again so badly. Seriously, the middle stretch of this movie had all the elements of a great Shadowrun.
    An offer you can't refuse from a Mr. Johnson. The planning and prepwork for the infiltration, calling in favors, getting gear, getting floorplans, etc. Executing the run on the way in flawlessly, but then, at the destination, a twist, the lady kills herself. And then, on the way out, everything goes pear shaped, you get caught, it's a running gun battle. And BAM of course, in the end, the Mr. Johnson double crosses you and now you are really stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I swear this movie was like Shadowrun if all the main characters were physical adepts.

That didn't bug me. I assume most of them were using burner phones for their assassination work.
    I question the necessity of a burner phone to some extent because it appears these assassins operate in a world where the police are not a concern.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Thought of something.
    It's both weird and awesome that when you see the assassins get Santino's $7M contract on Wick, none of them hesitate to try and take the man out. Because despite the dude's legendary status, it only takes a surprise bullet to off him.

Although I would've loved one assassin seeing the name on the contract and go "What, him? Nah, forget it."

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    One thing I'm kind of undecided on is...
    John Wick's bullet-proof suit.

It's kind of balanced out by the fact that everyone has one and not just John Wick, which does allow for some better fight sequences when getting shot in the body is typically just a mild inconvenience. However, it also retroactively gives a reason for John Wick's proclivity for always shooting fools in the head in the first movie, no matter how much he had already hurt them prior to the headshot. It also means everyone else also has to go for headshots, when I kind of liked it in the first movie when I thought that was just John Wick's fighting style.

That said, since he does have a bullet-proof suit, I like that he at least actually makes an effort to use the thing and would raise his jacket to block his face if he needed to.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I thought the references to
    the pencil kill were a bit too fan servicey.

It would've been more amusing if they'd given another, different story to add to the legend.

Like, "John fuckin' Wick. I once saw that man kill an entire dinner party of six with nothing but the plastic cutlery."

Just keep rampin' it up with every film as a running joke.

RT800 on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

I found it interesting that Wick blew her brains out as she was bleeding out.

Like, if this was someone he'd hated, that'd say one thing, a pretty simple "Fuck you, you go out on my terms."

But she was his friend, and he wanted to keep thinking of things that way. So, that doesn't work. Could be professionalism, but...

She was talking about damnation earlier. And, traditionally, the Catholic view (relevant, I would think, in Rome) has been that suicide is a mortal sin, that suicide condemns someone in ways they can't take back. Could be that was more the game. John let her set the terms, then fired the bullet to do what he could for her soul.

Interesting.

Also interesting was the progression of "Be seeing you". At first it just gets a nod, then "Not if I see you first", as a threat. But then, iteration 3?

"Sure."

As she's bleeding to death. All through the movie, no matter how unlikely, John's been fighting in the hopes that if he finishes this round, he could go back to a peaceful life, that he could just get away from it all again. But there, he presages violating one of the two rules by admitting that he's got no hope of escape anymore. He's out of options, and he embraces it.

It's a more thoughtful film than it absolutely needs to be, from time to time.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I haven't seen the first one, but I felt like I had enough exposure to the basics that I had a solid idea of what to expect going in.

And, boy, was I wrong, because I was not expecting that to be quite as violent as it was.
    The Pencil Scene had me going "OH, MY GOD. NO. NO."

That's not what those are for, John. Those are for writing and crosswords, not for amateur lobotomies.

I'll give them credit, even without having seen the entirety first one, they outlined the rules of the Wick Assassin World well enough that when John shot Santino in the Continental, I knew shit had just gone sideways in the worst way.

The only scene that really skeeved me out was Gianna's death, because that seemed lurid and drawn out in a way that you don't want a scene like that to be.

This was a good movie, which I would highly recommend.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Favorite Wick weapon
    Tactical shotgun. Wick always double- or triple-taps, but when he's using a relatively low-cap shotty without magazine reloads, this habit works against him and he's forced out of his comfort zone.
    Nice.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Like, if this was someone he'd hated, that'd say one thing, a pretty simple "Fuck you, you go out on my terms."

But she was his friend, and he wanted to keep thinking of things that way. So, that doesn't work. Could be professionalism, but...

She was talking about damnation earlier. And, traditionally, the Catholic view (relevant, I would think, in Rome) has been that suicide is a mortal sin, that suicide condemns someone in ways they can't take back. Could be that was more the game. John let her set the terms, then fired the bullet to do what he could for her soul.

Interesting.

Also interesting was the progression of "Be seeing you". At first it just gets a nod, then "Not if I see you first", as a threat. But then, iteration 3?

"Sure."

As she's bleeding to death. All through the movie, no matter how unlikely, John's been fighting in the hopes that if he finishes this round, he could go back to a peaceful life, that he could just get away from it all again. But there, he presages violating one of the two rules by admitting that he's got no hope of escape anymore. He's out of options, and he embraces it.

I got the impression that he shot her in the head just to be sure.

I mean, he allowed her to go out on her own terms like she wanted, then made absolutely certain that there was no chance she might somehow be miraculously resuscitated after he left.

He is, after all, a professional.

RT800 on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Favorite Wick weapon
    Tactical shotgun. Wick always double- or triple-taps, but when he's using a relatively low-cap shotty without magazine reloads, this habit works against him and he's forced out of his comfort zone.
    Nice.

My favorite part about this scene is
    he was holding one last shell on the side, or had a single shell attached. I don't know guns, is that a thing? He held it to the side and then loaded it one last time for one last shot.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    What a shitty time for me to be on-call because now I have to wait until next week to see this and I don't wanna.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

Interesting.

"Sure."

I mean, he allowed her to go out on her own terms like she wanted, then made absolutely certain that there was no chance she might somehow be miraculously resuscitated after he left.

I got the impression.

He shot her because he had to kill her to satisfy the contract, she was dying, but he killed her.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I do hope for a potential 3rd movie.

It opens a couple months in, John looks ragged having been pursued for months, and then he cleans up, suits up, and starts hunting the table instead. He's the fucking boogeyman after all.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Fourth movie
    John Wick signs up with the International Contract Agency and has to take down, and eventually team up with, Agent 47

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I do hope for a potential 3rd movie.

It opens a couple months in, John looks ragged having been pursued for months, and then he cleans up, suits up, and starts hunting the table instead. He's who you call to kill the fucking boogeyman after all.

Fixed

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    kowikowi Registered User regular
    Favorite Wick weapon
    Nice.

Second that.

PSN: kowi - WiiU: kowi - XBL: KoWi - twitch.tv/kowi profile.png - "Yes, Kowi is the King of All" - smilie.png Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

Interesting.

"Sure."

I got the impression.

He shot her because he had to kill her to satisfy the contract, she was dying, but he killed her.

Yeah.
    If she is found and she simply committed suicide, John hasn't completed the contract. If she is found with slit wrists and a bullet in her skull, everyone's gonna go, "Oh she tried to kill herself, and then John Motherfucking Wick shot her in the goddamn head." At this point it was a courtesy that he waited until she was nearly gone to shoot her, and didn't pop her twice in the chest as well (brand management is important).

I love how John knows every language.
    Including ASL. I am a little mystified at how much work Ruby Rose is getting these days, because she's not a good actress (she basically has one character to date: cocky lesbian miscreant). She does have an interesting screen presence, though, and making her mute amplifies that.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    John Wick's world is a really weird one for me

Because I love it and want to see more of it, especially in that proposed TV series, but the mystery of it is half the fun and I don't want them to explain everything

Like, the last thing I want is a full on explanation of how this secret world controlling Assassin Illuminati came to be

But still give me more of it, please

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    All I want to know is; where's my Ms Perkins focused prequel?

(I'm so excited for this film but it isn't out here until next week, the wait is excruciating.)

it was called agents of shield season 2 & 3

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

The only way to save me from running Shadowrun is to take the bullet for me.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I get the sense that the assassins are just contractors. The 12 are on another level in terms of power, and they're clearly not all assassins. The main guy Wick was hunting though seemed to have his feet in both worlds, which was why he was so dangerous.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    I get the sense that the assassins are just contractors. The 12 are on another level in terms of power, and they're clearly not all assassins. The main guy Wick was hunting though seemed to have his feet in both worlds, which was why he was so dangerous.

Not sure about the bolded
    Was it ever mentioned that he was an assassin? It seemed like he had a small army at his disposal but no combat skill himself. That's why he hid at the continental.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    John Wick's world is a really weird one for me

Because I love it and want to see more of it, especially in that proposed TV series, but the mystery of it is half the fun and I don't want them to explain everything

Like, the last thing I want is a full on explanation of how this secret world controlling Assassin Illuminati came to be

But still give me more of it, please

Let me tell you about... Those Who Came Before

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I love the Wick movies but if they try and make a TV show out of it the nonsense world will come apart at the seams.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Scene Spoiler (not related to above question)
    When John Wick had to enter a room full of bad guys with only seven bullets, I thought we were going to get a scene of him having to really conserve ammo and make sure every shot counts, and perhaps an extended fight scene since he couldn't just shoot everyone in the head and they would keep getting up.

Instead he unloaded all seven of those bullets in roughly two seconds, and we still got an amazing extended fight scene anyways just due to how many bad guys were present for him to kill.

I thought it was pretty funny how disgusted he was with the 1911, "Ugh, SEVEN rounds? God, what is this trash?"

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    I love the Wick movies but if they try and make a TV show out of it the nonsense world will come apart at the seams.
    Eh, I don't think so

It depends on how they do it

Just focusing on different assassins as they do jobs should be fine, especially if it is handled like an anthology

But any deep dive world building heavy stuff could be pretty rough

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Fourth movie
    John Wick signs up with the International Contract Agency and has to take down, and eventually team up with, Agent 47

fifth movie
    "You blew up John Wick's planet. You idiot."

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Fourth movie

fifth movie
    "You blew up John Wick's planet. You idiot."
    His car was on that planet

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    I was almost conviced that there had to be some magical glamour or something surrounding the world of assassins.
    Chapter 2
    John leaves two bodies on the train platform just as a train pulls in. I was expecting the doors to open and hearing someone scream and John running through the panicked crowd. Instead there is no reaction whatsoever. Even as John and Cassian are stabbing each other on the train the folks in the background barely react, some glance over. But it isn't until the train stops again that they even get up and leave the train car.

8EVmPzM.jpg