As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who [Love]s the [Love]men?

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Answers to "Would you much prefer to date someone of your own race?"
    Might be a thing you rank higher on your importance scale

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Then again I guess that doesn't stop them from finding you

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I can't take credit for it, unfortunately, because I am not a "Dad."

I had to plumb the deepest, darkest parts of the dad-web to find it.

we're all dads on the inside

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Dad jokes are at their cores bad puns, and I always have room in my heart for bad puns.

I got my love of bad puns from my dad. Checks out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »

Already set to "very important" or whatever the highest is. I need a setting called "deal breaker" where answers apart from my own hide profiles from each other

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    NeoToma wrote: »

That question is a great way to identify potential Nazi sympathizers.

EDIT: If the respondent is white, of course.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I skipped that question with a who cares kind of comment

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I skipped that question with a who cares kind of comment

I care because I don't want to date someone who answers "Yes".

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    My go-to dad joke (the only one I can reliably remember):

What's the difference between a hippo and a zippo?

One is really heavy and the other is a little lighter.

My ex actually foiled this one when I was trying to cheer her up - "what's a zippo?"

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Oh my god that one rules

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Tonight my partner and I had a nice little dinner date night for the first time in a fair while.

I played chicken with a bowl of ridiculously spicy beef ramen and lost all proper feeling in my mouth, while she cheered me on.

Then we got gelato for dessert, because gelato is her Happy Place Food (and also because I needed something to fight the small volcanic pit eating its way through my stomach).

It was a simple refreshing night and I think we both needed it. A+

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I feel like such a dumb teenager with this crush business and the subsequent nerves that are almost low-key anxiety

Also, she's have an awful time, and working a ton, I think, and apologized to me yesterday via messenger

I told her hey that's ok, I am very sorry you are having a rough time, I'm here if you need to talk

but it was just one message again, and then silence

So I guess it's silly that when I saw a message from her on my phone I got all giddy and my heart was in my throat for a minute

And then I felt really awful that she's having a such a rough time and here I am trying to date her when she's going through shit

So I guess the I'm here if you want to talk thing is just there, and I'll try to chill out

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Yeah man I'd say that's the right call.

I know how crushes are but it's probably good to give her a little space right now. Once she gets a little more stable footing she might reach out to you and you can go from there.

Until then, just relax! Deep breaths and all that. It's not a race.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    I'm just not sure what to do with all these unresolved feelings

I have this ridiculous crush that waxes and wanes on a very good friend of mine who is also a co-worker that I'll never do anything about

I still have feelings for the lady from January and February who just wasn't that into me

I even still have some kind of feelings for my ex wife, despite the toxicity and jealousy and accusations and everything

I guess I'm ready to and eager to be someone to some body

• Options
    Those kinds of feeling for your ex probably aren't just going to disappear over night. Those things take quite a bit of time to dull. As for the crushes, best I can recommend (as somebody that that happens to a lot as well) is just keep treating them like people and not try and put them up on a pedestal. Those feelings are usually pretty fleeting and if you go about your day they'll usually resolve themselves. If they don't then yeah, you'll probably need to talk to the other person about it.

Or do what I do and run away from your problems and never grow as a person!

• Options
    (Do not do as the Juggernut do)

• Options
    edited March 2017
    I will never say anything to my good friend coworker crush, unless maybe big maybe we aren't co-workers at some point, and then I still don't know

I have tried to find faults and whatever to get her off this pedestal and it works for a bit, but it came back three times now

Twice, I thought she was sort of feeling it too, and twice I didn't say anything

And if these forums show up when I self-google, I will take this post down

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Gemini ManGemini Man Registered User regular

I have this ridiculous crush that waxes and wanes on a very good friend of mine who is also a co-worker that I'll never do anything about

I still have feelings for the lady from January and February who just wasn't that into me

I even still have some kind of feelings for my ex wife, despite the toxicity and jealousy and accusations and everything

Sounds like you are over thinking this stuff. You may want to take a break and just focus on yourself. Maybe exercise or do some physical activity that will tire your body out if you can't settle your brain. You may be surprised what a couple months will do for your perspective if you can spend them not actively pursuing a relationship.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular

Dude have you considered like taking some time to be somebody to yourself?

Feelings are just feelings, they don't mean you gotta do anything with them.

• Options
    I think I'm somebody to myself already, I'm just lonely

I was very lonely in the final years of my marriage and thought I had myself figured out

I've got a good group of friends, I've got some new hobbies, my jobs ok, but I have applied to some others and gotten interviews and stuff

I don't know if anyone's every really content with everything

I do need to chill out, I guess, or something, but I kinda felt like a relaxed chilled out zombie for a long time and I am ready for something

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Some of us have gotten pretty good at suppressing our feelings and urges on a day to day basis.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Douglas I refuse to believe you have ever been chilled out, based exclusively on your interactions with this thread

• Options
    Really getting back into 40k just the modeling and painting has helped me from getting very bored and distracted from the shit I deal with at work {I know I am away from the toxic managers yay so I just with a with a bully of a supervisor now and back to the meat grinder of employment}

I know I crave social interaction but finding friends and others with similar interests is really hard now

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I think I'm somebody to myself already, I'm just lonely

I was very lonely in the final years of my marriage and thought I had myself figured out

I've got a good group of friends, I've got some new hobbies, my jobs ok, but I have applied to some others and gotten interviews and stuff

I don't know if anyone's every really content with everything

I do need to chill out, I guess, or something, but I kinda felt like a relaxed chilled out zombie for a long time and I am ready for something

Dude, lonely is an internal function--other people cannot solve your lonely.

Learn to be happy being by yourself.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    After 3 decades of dating I can honestly now say I am most comfortable when I'm alone.

Not all the time, we all need variety, but damn it is super important

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Suppression doesn't really work in the long run. Sometimes you just gotta work through the feelings. Spend some time feeling shitty about things that you know will never be. If you don't let that stuff out it'll never go away, but if you actually just open up to it, it can fade. Source: have had impossible crushes. Have gotten, if not entirely over them, at least to a point where they no longer affect my mood or day-to-day life in any way.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Suppression doesn't really work in the long run. Sometimes you just gotta work through the feelings. Spend some time feeling shitty about things that you know will never be. If you don't let that stuff out it'll never go away, but if you actually just open up to it, it can fade. Source: have had impossible crushes. Have gotten, if not entirely over them, at least to a point where they no longer affect my mood or day-to-day life in any way.

I know being left alone with some of the things I really don't want to remember sucks
    having to work through that was really ugly as I avoided a lot of fellow vets for various reasons

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I'm fine with myself but sometimes I just want someone to do stuff with you know?

• Options
  • Options
    Jars wrote: »
    I'm fine with myself but sometimes I just want someone to do stuff with you know?

Ah, a succinct summary of my feels

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    it's useful to compare your self-image and inner monologue with the feedback others give you on exhibited behaviors and attitudes.

maybe everyone else is just wrong about what you really feel and think, but if these are people you otherwise trust, it's worth looking at how and what you are expressing to others. it can be a holdover from old habits and you need to work on living your ideology, or it could be a blind spot (the self-suppression others are mentioning) coming out as unconscious, unintentional signals.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    And that's fine!

apparently not because no one will do stuff with me!

• Options
    help i'm stuck on my couch

the beau and i had a good Friday night
    he spontaneously ordered a Switch (i am not entirely pleased at the early adoption, but that is one of his things he do, owell)
    and we jaunted over to a taco place we've been meaning to try forever, picking up Zelda on the way
    sat on the patio -- beautiful night and a little booze, and just chilled

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Doug I'm not so sure you've chilled out so much as your anxiety blows out and the resulting gulf or lack of frenetic apprehension tricks you into thinking you're calm.

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Doug I'm not so sure you've chilled out so much as your anxiety blows out and the resulting gulf or lack of frenetic apprehension tricks you into thinking you're calm.

This seems possible as well

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    yeah, "relaxed chilled out zombie" reads as an oxymoron to me.
    i can tell you that when i actually feel at peace, it is very different from an apathetic haze, or the exhaustion of overwhelmed anxiety.

it can be frustrating for people to tell you you're not calm, but that frustration generally occurs because it is the kind of calm that you cannot summon at will. if you feel defensive about it, self-assess.

and for exercise to summon calm, yo, meditation is the booooooooomb. it's not about making your brain empty or attaining enlightment, but training yourself to slow down. being aware of how your thoughts affect you --physically, mentally, emotionally-- and deciding what to do about them, instead of feeling prey to them. one of the concepts that stuck with me is that the cycle of getting distracted and returning to concentration is the practice -- the end goal is being able to catch yourself more often.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    I don't know if the thread where I post about my lack of love life is the total DD... life mind wellness picture thing, but yall have given me a lot of things to think about, and I'm grateful for all of you.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    help i'm stuck on my couch

the beau and i had a good Friday night
    he spontaneously ordered a Switch (i am not entirely pleased at the early adoption, but that is one of his things he do, owell)
    and we jaunted over to a taco place we've been meaning to try forever, picking up Zelda on the way
    sat on the patio -- beautiful night and a little booze, and just chilled

What taco place?

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Also hey love thread

it's really great to be with someone on the same wavelength

I have lots of friends gettin married or starting a family and shit. My long-time friend and roommate moved with his girlfriend to Dallas to basically be a stay at home boyfriend right now until he finds something (his GF is an actuary and is making texa$ right now so they're good) and another friend from high school is having a baby, another friend's GF wants to get married sometime in the near future once they move in together (they've been together about 1/4th as long as my SO and I)

and my girlfriend and I are like

nah

fuck kids

we ain't into that anytime soon

marriage?

pfft, who cares we together don't need no fuckin ring right now and besides that shit is expensive and we're about to be long distance for awhile longer and just nah

just the kind of relationship where we gossip about other people and don't care about other's judgments

also we've been together almost 5 years now what

• Options
    Paco's!

don't ask me why it took us so long. there is no good reason.

from one visit, it is pretty much the platonic ideal of a grungy neighborhood taco joint. the queso is totes Velveeta/Rotel level, but sometimes that's what you want; Fonda San Miguel it ain't.

lfchwLd.jpg
This discussion has been closed.