As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel Stuff! Thor is covered in brains!

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Secret Empire has only two issues out in June, with roughly the same amount of tie-ins but several separate one shots and a miniseries added. GotG's Annual ties in which is an old school method and better than forcing the ongoing series to do so.

Still hoping this whole thing is done in July.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Also, despite Ultimates in May tie-ing in to SE it goes back to normal in June so I'm sure that's relief to most.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I think Slott has made his overblown opinion about superhero marriage clear enough. In the two instances of Peter getting married Slott has that ending with either Peter dying to protect his family or it resulting in the death of every other hero in the Marvel Universe.

Slott literally cannot imagine a situation where it doesn't royally fuck up everything. And it's like, got damn man, who hurt you?

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Dan Slott's kinda a poster child for why you don't give fans the keys to the kingdom.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Guys, Slott wasn't involved with OMD

He didn't break up the marriage, cut him a little slack

• Options
    My opinions on Slott have zero to do with OMD

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Doesnt Slott have something about against redheads

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Welp, looks like Zdarsky's Star-Lord was just the latest in a long line of fantastic books that were secretly miniseries the entire time

Fuck off, Marvel

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Did it sell really bad though?

• Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    No. This isn't a sales thing, they have done this loads of times and writers have confirmed they were told the work was a limited series. Marvel just chooses not to advertise that because people get more excited about ongoings

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Huh odd. I had always assumed the mini series announcement was a soft cancel.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Marvel structuring their books as mostly miniseries with a core group of ongoings is the better model IMO but miniseries don't sell anymore.

• Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    Nah, Elliot Kalan confirmed that his Spider-Man and the X-Men story was slated for only 5 or 6 issues, but Marvel announced it like it was the ongoing successor to Wolverine and the X-Men

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Ever thought nobody could do worse than Finn Jones?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Nah, Elliot Kalan confirmed that his Spider-Man and the X-Men story was slated for only 5 or 6 issues, but Marvel announced it like it was the ongoing successor to Wolverine and the X-Men

The more you know!

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    oriental, dude? really?

not the preferred nomenclature

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

That surprises me exactly 0%

Roy Thomas is an old ass white man who was writing comics 40 years ago

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    CPdHl9w.jpg

Nice to see the Contest Of Champions heroes showing up not long after their series ended.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I want to buy some subscriptions, but the way Marvel has this set up makes me wary

The only thing I love that I can be certain will continue as-is is Ms. Marvel

I want to buy a Star-Lord subscription, but I cannot be sure that Chip Zdarsky will actually be still doing it for much longer, because every Marvel thing nowadays is a secret miniseries

Hey look who's a goddamned Precog

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Interesting that the Ms. Marvel ongoing isn't tie-ing in at all to Secret Empire. Either Wilson just wants to avoid it or, more than likely, Marvel knows she'd treat Hydra in a way they don't want her to.

• Options
    Marvel structuring their books as mostly miniseries with a core group of ongoings is the better model IMO but miniseries don't sell anymore.
    I mean

Not really

They don't sell as much but DC has been cranking out miniseries for years now and they do fine and sometimes even end up with their own ongoings

Plus, Marvel had a Deadpool miniseries that sold super well last year and then relaunched it as an ongoing and sales tanked

Miniseries are fine, just fucking be honest about them

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Collected mini-series probably have a longer shelf life. So long term there is a decent chance they make a lot more money.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Collected mini-series probably have a longer shelf life. So long term there is a decent chance they make a lot more money.

It is a lot easier to get people to buy "this one great comic trade" than to buy "this one in a series, but you have to read x y and z first." I'd imagine.

• Options
    Yeah. And single stories stay around a longer on book store (non comic ones mind you) than a random volume of long running series.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I could see a really interesting model where you have a handful of universe books as ongoings - these are your Avengers level books, essentially (and maybe some X-Team/Guardians stuff, but largely team stuff is the point) - that deal with all of the big catastrophic event stuff and pull a variety of characters as needed and stuff like that, and then there's a sort of freedom to create side stories with characters that aren't being used in the main line books as six or twelve issue miniseries.

I'm almost thinking like, in the style of the Dragonlance line of books, where writers aside from Weis and Hickman would fill in large sections of backstory or have various characters' in-between solo adventures and backstories. Obviously not exactly that, especially if you're transitioning an existing universe into the model, but a similar concept.

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I could see a really interesting model where you have a handful of universe books as ongoings - these are your Avengers level books, essentially (and maybe some X-Team/Guardians stuff, but largely team stuff is the point) - that deal with all of the big catastrophic event stuff and pull a variety of characters as needed and stuff like that, and then there's a sort of freedom to create side stories with characters that aren't being used in the main line books as six or twelve issue miniseries.

I'm almost thinking like, in the style of the Dragonlance line of books, where writers aside from Weis and Hickman would fill in large sections of backstory or have various characters' in-between solo adventures and backstories. Obviously not exactly that, especially if you're transitioning an existing universe into the model, but a similar concept.

This model makes way more sense in the modern climate really.

Not only is it pretty new reader friendly, it avoids a lot of problems where there just really isn't enough to a character to sustain a full series. Also you can take more chances because you don't have to worry about sales nearly as long.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I mean, I envision a transition to nonmonthlies, but I have no idea whether that would work, and also Diamond and LCS would have a seizure.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    As someone who doesn't really read team/event stuff (except for occasional X-Men runs) it sounds like a dream come true to me, but I could see why a lot of longtime fans would dislike it.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Even if Marvel is losing to DC right now, do they really care though?

The company that owns them has 90 billion in assets, the comic division is peanuts to them.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    I think the comics are effectively movie market testing at this point

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    If you folks had to set-up a year long production & distribution of Marvel comics, what would it look like?

Which series? For how long? What big event (and how long do they last)?

Just a thought exercise?

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Holy FUCK.

It's like they were trying to craft the most obliviously insensitive response imaginable.

Like, oriental? Seriously?

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    If you would have asked me, I would have told you Roy Thomas had already passed away.

Old as fuck comic creator has dumb ass opinions is sort of par for the course.

And I don't even consider him the creator. The character was worthless until Claremont and Byrne took him.

Maximum on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Zonugal wrote: »
    If you folks had to set-up a year long production & distribution of Marvel comics, what would it look like?

Which series? For how long? What big event (and how long do they last)?

Just a thought exercise?

Main goal would to be to DRASTICALLY cut back on the number of actual books. Keep a tight line up.

I would do a Marvel Universe bimonthly anthology series. Probably a lot of those would be heavily serialized, but not all. But none of the stories much longer than 12 pages. But a pretty lengthy book. Features all kinds of characters and stories that cycle in and out. Probably a lot of folks that couldn't always maintain their own books. But with one either Avengers, or other main status quo character story in it that sets up the year's event.

Roughly tenish concurrently running mini-series. Spider-Man, Avengers, and some other tent pole characters with at least two spots reserved to characters who are new or underappreciated.

A monthly comic album (European style, so oversized- and 40-80 pages) that tells a single story. Featuring alternating characters and creative teams. Call it Marvel Showcase or something. But make it a big stand alone deal and really gorgeous.

And one big event book a year. Either as an album or a mini-series. It doesn't bleed into the other books. Save for the Anthology where one or two of the issues will entirely be devoted to set up and ramifications of the event.

The Event would be the a natural disaster (or a godzilla) and it's more focused on saving people than in-fighting or big villain stuff.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    No. This isn't a sales thing, they have done this loads of times and writers have confirmed they were told the work was a limited series. Marvel just chooses not to advertise that because people get more excited about ongoings

I think what bothers me most with this tactic is that it gives a different mindset when reading the book month to month. Like, Star Lord has been entertaining (and hasn't ended yet so obviously this opinion could change), but it doesn't feel like a story worth telling as a miniseries? It's been largely "unimportant", but since I thought it was an ongoing I'd think "okay cool they're setting up characters and stories to continue as it goes on"

Compare it to, say, Midnighter and Apollo that was advertised as a mini, I think "there's a set ending in mind so all of this is deliberate" and attribute more importance to plot points and characters

• Options
    The whisper Nick Fury slipped to Thor years back leaked ahead of tomorrow's issue:
    "Gorr was right."

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The whisper Nick Fury slipped to Thor years back leaked ahead of tomorrow's issue:
    "Gorr was right."

Well, THAT was totally worth the wait and mystery :razz:

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    "Check out Marvel's Secret Empire, now available at comic stores nation wide."

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    "Check out Marvel's Secret Empire, now available at comic stores nation wide."

I would respect this more tbh

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    "Magneto was right."

This discussion has been closed.