As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:Stormblood] The solution to the MSQ block was so simple. Delete Balmung

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    Q3: When Eos/Selene get hit by a knockback attack, they do not return to their original position. Any plans to have them move back automatically?
    A: They're your pets, you control them.

The annoying thing about this is that there's a Stay command right there. Would be perfect if it made the fairy return to the spot there the Stay command was issued.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    It's your job to move them back. If you want them to stay at a location, move them back or don't put them in a spot to get hit by a knock back. Or just have them on follow.

On that note, if they are on Follow they will always attempt to update their position relative to you. Stay just cancels their movement routines so if you do want to position your pet in a specific location using Stay, it's your responsibility to check on them as necessary. You want that extra control for effectiveness reasons, you have to do the upkeep. It's a reason why I have two highly accessible hotkeys dedicated to Stay for repositioning and Follow to effectively recall it and I will be moving the pet as necessary in between GCDs or during casts

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I'll ask some GHOSTs to help me get Enbarr later tonight.

I need Levi and Ifrit for my Kirin. What time is this going down? I'd love to join.

Probably not until after 11 Eastern
    I'll ask some GHOSTs to help me get Enbarr later tonight.

I need Levi and Ifrit for my Kirin. What time is this going down? I'd love to join.

Probably not until after 11 Eastern

Sorry, I spaced and forgot that I had a prior commitment with friends tonight. Maybe I'll get these done another time.

That's okay :). I was able to finish the Hildibrand quests last night, so it's all good.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    While I'm sure that something is lost in A) translation between languages and B) translation to text, I love how fucking blunt some of those answers are. In particular:
    Q7: I want more difficult content
    A: Didn't we get this question at the end of 2.x with Final Coil of Bahamut? Then we gave you Alexander. I don't trust these questions anymore.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Delzhand wrote: »
    While I'm sure that something is lost in A) translation between languages and B) translation to text, I love how fucking blunt some of those answers are. In particular:
    A: Didn't we get this question at the end of 2.x with Final Coil of Bahamut? Then we gave you Alexander. I don't trust these questions anymore.

Q7.) The difficulty of the game has declined after Gordias Savage. Extreme Primals and dungeons are all much easier than 2.X. Are there any plans to incorporate more content that has a higher difficulty?
    A7.) I remember when people said Final Coil was too easy...so we made Alexander...then they complained it was too difficult! So I trust no one! Content difficulty is something we talk about constantly when developing new content. We did also get a lot of feedback that the Creator was a lot easier than the first two tiers. We believe that the Creator is the perfect difficulty for the entire community, keeping it in reach for most players.

Is the full version.

At one point someone asked about parsers and he got up and started to leave the room. Yoshi-P was in fine troll form when it came to dumb questions.

edit- FFXIV has recieved two World Records.

One for longest credits in an MMO, clocking in at 1 hour and 38 minutes.
    The second being most original pieces of music in any game. Weighing in at a hefty 384 original songs.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    There's already stuff in the game I find too intimidating to attempt, I think I'd be happy with them erring towards the easy side of the difficulty.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    There's already stuff in the game I find too intimidating to attempt, I think I'd be happy with them erring towards the easy side of the difficulty.

Oh yeah. Without a static it is also pretty difficult to improve my game. It frustrates me, because I have been a harder raider in other games in the past and it is weird to be this casual.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to getting in on the ground floor for the Omega stuff. I feel like I came in too late to do any Alexander, or Savage Primals, I think it'll be better to learn everything the same time as every one else.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I 100% understand that you'll want to see yours and yours alone. But it still won't solve the behavioural issues that we're trying to avoid and it won't prevent someone from being able to extract that data and display everyone's DPS. While the understanding is that people want that information so they can improve, it's still considered as being too dangerous to community behaviour.

I absolutely adore this answer.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Yeah. Hopefully, the improvements in the UI will help people get a better idea how they should play their class.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Yeah. Hopefully, the improvements in the UI will help people get a better idea how they should play their class.

Advanced Hall of the Novice where the trainer takes you through your specific class rotation(s) and gives tips on CD usage. Could be different versions based on your level(or every 5 levels like the job quests).

Do it as a step-by-step thing where its like "OK you just hit 45 and unlocked this ability. This is how it fits into your rotation." then again at lv50, and with each subsequent job quest ability unlock.

Rather than just throwing abilities at you and leaving it to you to figure out how to best manage them(or going to some 3rd party website). Just have all this info in the actual game.

But that would probably take a lot of time and effort to implement.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I still remember an early Arcanist quiets where ther guild master said something like "and I do hope your plan for battle is more than just flinging Ruin over and over again."

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    @Skwigelf oh man...they really need to reshuffle again how you get abilities. DRG comes to mind as the worst offender in this regard.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Enlong wrote: »
    I still remember an early Arcanist quiets where ther guild master said something like "and I do hope your plan for battle is more than just flinging Ruin over and over again."

Hah! The entire CNJ quest line centers on a girl who refuses cast anything but Cure and it almost kills her.

Yes SE I get the moral of your story.

Axen on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Man, that's rich considering the overall game design. :rotate:

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Skwigelf oh man...they really need to reshuffle again how you get abilities. DRG comes to mind as the worst offender in this regard.

I'd put DRG and PLD as tied for first. Getting shield oath at 40 really sucks.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

Man, that's rich considering the overall game design. :rotate:

By level 15 you have:
    Manage carbuncle
    Manage DoTs
    Aetherflows
    Spam Ruin

Nowhere near as bad as PLD not getting tank mode at 30 or DRG spending 30 levels heavy thrusting.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    so uh I decided to get this against my better judgement

Is there a friend referral bonus or anything?

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yes, I am sure there are some who would like to set you up with some friend bonus items.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Rami wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_IlNbsILLE

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

If you haven't been referred already, I'd love to refer you. >.>

ringswraith on
  • Options
    I have been setup already I'm afraid

sig.gif
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

384 tracks and most if not all is pretty fantastic.

Go Soken!

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    I have been setup already I'm afraid

/cries

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Can't help but worry about their reasons for not worrying about two DPS creating que problems at launch.

They say tanks always play tank so they're assuming players won't gravitate to the new jobs but HW had DRK to help freshen things up for them. Could easily see alot of tanks going RDM or SAM for that fresh new class smell.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Can't help but worry about their reasons for not worrying about two DPS creating que problems at launch.

They say tanks always play tank so they're assuming players won't gravitate to the new jobs but HW had DRK to help freshen things up for them. Could easily see alot of tanks going RDM or SAM for that fresh new class smell.

I know I'm going to switch to a DPS main when Stormblood comes out (currently maining DRK). RDM has always been my favorite Final Fantasy job (DRK #2). I just hope it's fun to play.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Or people may be playing their primary job first so that they can get into preparing for the max level content as soon as possible then dabble in the other jobs.

I don't think that only DPS as new jobs is going to be much of an issue especially given that there's reasonable exp content that doesn't require a standard light party composition anymore (aka PotD). Yes, Heavensward had new tank and healer and that made DPS queues for the low levels an absolute breeze, but you were only doing those dungeon runs because it was the best source of exp. Now that PotD is here with the same or similar exp rates in addition to the levelling roulette which everyone is going to be hitting regardless of what role they are, there's outlets for surplus DPS.
    Tanks and healers are likely to be spamming the max level dungeons they have access to outside of the MSQ and levelling roulette as dungeon running would be the fastest source of exp for them plus getting loot drops. DPS would still be able to hop into those queues and if they decide not to wait, overflow into PotD.

In any case, it's still a little bit unusual that the starting level for RDM and SAM is still tentative. And I suspect as I probably mentioned before that it's likely that there's still discussion about whether or not to start them at level 60 instead since that'll sidestep the no new tank/healer issue entirely. Put them on the same level as the other jobs heading into the expansion, don't need to worry about art assets for pre-60 gear, and people using those jobs will be smack bang in the middle of everyone else. And at this point, the worry about people not being able to play at level 60 is kinda moot since you'll likely need to be level 60 in the first place to unlock those jobs. Plus, everyone is probably going to be in the same boat depending on how extensive the combat system revamp is going to be.

Takel on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    After enduring more than a half hour of cutscenes, I have finally lost my sprout and started Heavensward.

*performs Most Gentlemanly emote*

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    I like when new classes start at 1, but I understand I'm in the minority here, particularly in the MMO space.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    I like when new classes start at 1, but I understand I'm in the minority here, particularly in the MMO space.

I wouldn't mind it if we had more ways to level from scratch.

• Options
    Since I leveled ACN to 60 using SMN, I've been looking for ways to practice SCH. Just do the dungeons outside roulette. I went into Haukke and just focused on making sure I never used Adloq in cleric stance. Then I moved up to Brayflox, making sure to use Eye for an Eye as appropriate. Tonight will be Stone Vigil and whatever ability that level sync unlocks.

• Options
    Axen wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »

Q7.) The difficulty of the game has declined after Gordias Savage. Extreme Primals and dungeons are all much easier than 2.X. Are there any plans to incorporate more content that has a higher difficulty?
    A7.) I remember when people said Final Coil was too easy...so we made Alexander...then they complained it was too difficult! So I trust no one! Content difficulty is something we talk about constantly when developing new content. We did also get a lot of feedback that the Creator was a lot easier than the first two tiers. We believe that the Creator is the perfect difficulty for the entire community, keeping it in reach for most players.

Is the full version.

At one point someone asked about parsers and he got up and started to leave the room. Yoshi-P was in fine troll form when it came to dumb questions.

edit- FFXIV has recieved two World Records.

One for longest credits in an MMO, clocking in at 1 hour and 38 minutes.
    The second being most original pieces of music in any game. Weighing in at a hefty 384 original songs.

Yeah, I was busy jumping into chat with a few friends as well as busily transcribing stuff as it was being said in another chat so all I got from the question was something really stupid with regards to content difficulty, seeing Yoshi-P effectively roll his eyes at it and I just scribbled down the main gist of it which was what you saw up there.
    The actual answer included how if players said 'Well that was kind of easy' that is their design intent.

There's no point making content that the majority of the player base cannot have access to since it will be in effect wasted development resources and really, the player base is stepping up to wanting to challenge some harder content which is something I really support and I do urge anyone that wants to push their limits to give the EX and Savage content a shot. It's not that intimidating. There's plenty of resources and if needs be you can always pop a question in here and chances are, I'll be able to answer it. Unless you're going into extremely fine optimisation details for a specific job for a specific encounter; in which case I probably know someone to refer you to or relay your question and answer.

Normal mode is great. It's extremely accessible though there's a few mechanic overlaps which I will readily admit are a bit bullshit given the target audience. Two prime examples would be in A11 with the laser bits and the single target prey marker (which doesn't exist in Savage mode BTW) that deals the same amount of damage as a Savage mechanic in A12s, though not quite as fast. The second one is again in A11 with the lasers, propeller wind follow by Optical Blast which deals an incredible amount of group damage and splits the party in such a way that it's possible that group healing is severely hampered.
    Savage is maybe a little bit too easy with Creator? But that perception for me is most likely due to the nature of my static group. Seeing how much other groups are struggling with it, it's probably at the right difficulty all things considered. Watching streams of other groups who are attempting to learn the encounters, it's amazing to see the issues people are having and it really comes down to playstyle as well as lacking knowledge of both the encounter and how to maximise the toolkit they have as their jobs.

As an example, I was watching a stream of a friend's static who were working on both A11s and A12s. I was mainly focusing on the tank and healer areas because that's the part where I have the most familiarity with either as doing it (healing) or knowing what my tanks were doing at that point in time. The absolute critical flaw I found was that the healers were not preemptively healing. Both of the healers were purely reactive healers which is a significant problem because it either means that they haven't clued in that they're being GCD crunched and people are dying as a result of insufficient healing casts being performed, or they haven't yet understood the encounter so they are playing second by second without foresight into what's going to happen next which then leads them to falling behind in healing. This is a fundamental problem as you can tell them exactly what they need to do, you can tell them what's going to happen next but they simply will not do what's necessary because they play according to seeing the health bars changing and making a decision based on that moment. For A12s that is absolutely lethal as within 25s of the encounter starting, two DPS are going to get slammed for about 42k damage within 5 seconds. If you are only reacting to the first damage tick, someone will die guaranteed, which is what's happening.

The tank side was happily a lot more responsive. A11s is an unusual encounter when it comes to tanking because aside from 3-4 scripted tank busters, the tanks simply will not receive any damage aside from auto-attacks. Hence, you only need to reserve 2 CDs and everything else is available for use according to personal discretion. Before they were enlightened to that fact, the tank was holding onto all their CDs because they were locked into the mentality of previous encounters where every CD had a purpose, and combined with weak healers this meant that the tank was having difficulties staying alive. After they started to pop CDs as the situation called for it while reserving the two necessary CDs, the damage intake was significantly improved.

It's a bit odd to say, but I suspect that the Gordias and Midas tier of content has completely changed a small segment of the high end raiding community, and it's a change that's going to be a little detrimental to overall content longevity. A third difficulty is now virtually necessary as it's going to be near impossible to aim a second tier difficulty which will satisfy the entirety of the middle player base outside the insane world first chasers. Those who survived and persisted through Gordias and Midas are now significantly more skilled and hardened than those who gave up, or didn't experience those two raids when it was relevant content.

• Options
    Okay I got to level 10. Should I be concerned about where I spend my bonus stat points?

I mean what happens if I change class to a caster but have invested 50 bonus points in strength?

sig.gif
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Okay I got to level 10. Should I be concerned about where I spend my bonus stat points?

I mean what happens if I change class to a caster but have invested 50 bonus points in strength?

Your bonus points are class-specific and there's an item you can buy for a paltry amount of grand company seals that let you reset them for a class if you mess up, so no worries. You pretty much just want to dump them all into whatever your class's main stat is.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Okay great.

I'm a pugilist so I'll just dump everything into strength and then when I can change to rogue I'll dump everything into dex.

When I unlock them I can get all the professions at once right? Then just switch 'active' ones with the right tool?

sig.gif
  • Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    For Warriors, Paladins, and Dark Knights: Vitality
    For Monks and Dragoons: Strength
    For Ninja, Machinist, and Bard: Dexterity
    For Summoners and Black Mages: Intelligence
    For White Mages, Scholars, and Astrologians: Mind

Oh and for clarity's sake:

Marauder = Warrior (Marauder at lv30 + Gladiator at lv15)
    Gladiator = Paladin (Glad lv30 + Conj lv15)
    Pugilist = Monk (Pug lv30 + Lance lv15)
    Rogue = Ninja (Rogue lv30 + Pug lv15)* You unlock Rogue by getting any combat job to 10(which might as well be Pugilist since you need it at 15 to unlock Ninja)
    Lancer = Dragoon (Lance lv30 + Mrd lv15)
    Archer = Bard (Arch lv30 + Pug lv15)
    Arcanist = Both Summoner (Arcan lv30 + Thaum lv15) and Scholar (Arcan lv30 + Conj lv15)
    Conjurer = White Mage (Conj lv30 + Arcan lv15)
    Thaumaturge = Black Mage (Thaum lv30 + Arch lv15)

Dark Knight, Machinist, and Astrologian have no lv1 starter jobs. They start at lv30 and you unlock them when you finish the 2.0-2.5 MSQ and start the Heavensward quests.

Skwigelf on
  • Options
    Ilpala wrote: »

Your bonus points are class-specific and there's an item you can buy for a paltry amount of grand company seals that let you reset them for a class if you mess up, so no worries. You pretty much just want to dump them all into whatever your class's main stat is.

The sole awkwardness is ACN.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Okay great.

I'm a pugilist so I'll just dump everything into strength and then when I can change to rogue I'll dump everything into dex.

When I unlock them I can get all the professions at once right? Then just switch 'active' ones with the right tool?

Yea, nothing stopping you other than traveling to each guild (I don't think you unlock the airships between the three main cities til 15?) And you just switch by equipping a main-hand (or a gear set including a main-hand) of the class you want to switch to.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Okay great.

Yea, nothing stopping you other than traveling to each guild (I don't think you unlock the airships between the three main cities til 15?) And you just switch by equipping a main-hand (or a gear set including a main-hand) of the class you want to switch to.

I think the level 10 MSQ gates armory system? But after 15 you can unlock almost all class stuff. Some job stuff is still MSQ gated. None of the crafting/gathering except their 3.0 quests and maybe collectables?

• Options
    You'll want to use Armor Sets to switch jobs, not just changing your main hand item. The reason for this is that changing your mainhand just de-equips anything you can't use, and while you can use the "optimize gear" button, I don't think it equips job soulstones.

This discussion has been closed.