As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Legion] on FX: Season 2 is finished - beware open spoilers

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I've been watching these pretty hard. Any theories on
    what did the stars say?

There is a theory that
    the stars are

YYgfhRF.jpg

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Whelp that was a sure an episode.

Wow.

The use of music was amazing. Sound and cinematography in this show are amazing.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I was impressed with how David was acting like a
    godlike Bugs Bunny
    in that scene. Just, completely loony toons.

He acted a lot like
    Q.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Yeah the body language communicated quite the tone of glee behind his actions.

Something I just noticed about that scene upon rewatching:
    The "screens" they're watching the security footage on aren't monitors at all. They look like tarps stretched across a frame or something. Weird.

RT800 on
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    There is a theory that
    the stars are

YYgfhRF.jpg

Interesting idea...
    Are you suggesting that is how he sees all the minds around him all the time? That he's basically a walking Cerebro. No machine necessary for him.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Rewatching from the first episode once you've seen up to 4 and 5 is amazing. You see all this stuff hidden in plain sight you can clearly understand.

whenever the screen is red, the Shadow King (or whatever he is) is present. When they're discussing killing or gassing David, there is a dog in a red cage strangely sitting nearby. Clearly eavesdropping using David's powers. Actually the presence of the dog in all the innocent flashbacks is just great overall. Also, David shows up at his sister's house on Halloween, which is maybe when the Shadow King first went after him back when he was a kid, based on that one flashback.

• navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    He acted a lot like
    Q.

I jumped to that comparison also.
    David has reality manipulation? Or just versitile and powerful TP/TK? Both?

In some scenes when David is in distress
    He is surrounded by a mob yelling at him.

Anyone got a good idea what that symbolizes?

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »

In some scenes when David is in distress
    He is surrounded by a mob yelling at him.

Anyone got a good idea what that symbolizes?

I've always interpreted it as:
    Because of his inability to control his powers he is sometimes bombarded by peoples thoughts, potentially from quite a distance away. Imagine the inner dialogue of dozens, hundreds or maybe even thousands of people - anger, paranoia and dark thoughts cutting through the buzz of it all

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I've been watching these pretty hard. Any theories on
    what did the stars say?
    When's Mahvel?

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Rewatching from the first episode once you've seen up to 4 and 5 is amazing. You see all this stuff hidden in plain sight you can clearly understand.

whenever the screen is red, the Shadow King (or whatever he is) is present. When they're discussing killing or gassing David, there is a dog in a red cage strangely sitting nearby. Clearly eavesdropping using David's powers. Actually the presence of the dog in all the innocent flashbacks is just great overall. Also, David shows up at his sister's house on Halloween, which is maybe when the Shadow King first went after him back when he was a kid, based on that one flashback.
    Im not as sure that its the devil with the yellow eyes and not a different entity. King was a different breed of Dog and The Eye carves a German Shepard so I think his powers are being amplified by an entity as well.

Also Ive noticed both Syd and Lenny almost always wear black and red clothes in meatspace and I wonder if that means anything.

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular

Huh. Given what's come so far I really have a hard time guessing what the next season would be about.

Holy shit, they just confirmed in the promo for next week's episode that
    Lenny is Amahl Farouk, the Shadow King. That's a very big villain for season 1. And they pretty much confirmed Professor X this episode.

I don't think they'll be able to defeat the Shadow King this season. Maybe they have to find Professor X next season to battle the Shadow King.

Fakefaux wrote: »

Huh. Given what's come so far I really have a hard time guessing what the next season would be about.

If they get the "thing" out of David's head, then they can start exploring what it's been hiding from him next season. So they could start exploring his powers and how he uses them.

Since David sort of wrecked the bad guys a couple episodes ago, I'm not sure what the bad guy would be next season. Maybe the same "thing" that's in his head now, but have the fight be outside of his head.

As for next week's promos:
    It looks like there are two promos, one that mentions the Shadow King and one that doesn't. The official one on youtube doesn't mention the name.

Thoughts about a character they sort of mentioned this episode:
    So about Professor X.. can they actually have him on the show? Or would it be like Superman for the first season of Supergirl. Talk about him, acknowledge his existence but never actually have him on screen. Would (or could they) get the movie actor (McAvoy or Stewart) in for a least a cameo?

Thoughts about this episode:
    Anyone else super bored by this one? A whole lot of nothing... just showing the Lenny gets bored easily and can't maintain the utopia she created for David.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i really enjoyed this most recent ep

especially the incredibly 60s/70s feeling good sequence

obF2Wuw.png
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Selner wrote: »
    Thoughts about this episode:
    Anyone else super bored by this one? A whole lot of nothing... just showing the Lenny gets bored easily and can't maintain the utopia she created for David.
    Definitely the weakest episode yet, but still pretty well done. Aubrey Plaza is really chewing scenery, somehow.

Here's a really cool article / interview with Aubrey Plaza (Lenny) where she talks about the latest episode.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/legion-aubrey-plaza-her-difficult-scene-986405

The fact the script for a lot of the episode boiled down to "be crazy" is just hysterical.

It's trippy for the viewers watching, but I can only imagine how difficult the crazy script must be for the actors. It must look rather nonsensical at times.

Since Lenny compared herself to the
    Last of Us fungus, I wonder if that's suggesting she's some kind of hive mind. The fungus doesn't just inhabit one host, it can spread to lots of ants.

So maybe Lenny isn't the primary consciousness and she can spread into other people's minds and control multiple people at once. And if they do defeat her this season, the real/primary Shadow King is still out there.

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    On the parentage front.
    I'm wondering if they'll just have Jemaine (sorry forgot character's name), Ice cube guy, Be the father. He seems like somewhat of an Xavier stand-in for this setup anyway. Talked about having experience with David's kind of problem before etc. Heck even the previews might suggest he's aware of what Lenny actually is etc. He also seems the sort who may have fathered some kids. Free love and sun dresses etc.

akajaybay on
  • scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    I kinda liked Aubrey Plaza in P&R a lot but jesus is she just killing it on Legion.

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I really love that the network lets them play the closing credits without promos blaring over them. Just a white screen, simple colors and words, and the closing musical track. It lets the final moments really sink in, every time.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Be interesting to see how they resolve
    the bullets. Suppose David can just poof them.

Does Melanie any powers?

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Be interesting to see how they resolve
    the bullets. Suppose David can just poof them.

Does Melanie any powers?

It seems to me that
    Melanie is being given the choice to put herself in between the bullets and them or to watch on or both of them die.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee

I have a theory based on stuff I read about the comics:
    One or more characters are going to die and David is going to absorb their consciousness into his own mind. Season 1 is going to be his origin story of Legion and season 2 is going to explore his struggles with it.

Also I don't think he will be able to defeat the devil with the yellow eyes yet. Maybe he contains it, maybe it takes over. But I bet it is coming back for season 2

Lastly there are divisions other than division 3 and I think someone else is going to come after him. Possibly destroying the Summerland headquarters so David will have to move forward.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i wonder what the fate of jermaine clements character will be

him getting absorbed would make for a funny second season

obF2Wuw.png
    Also I read that Legion takes place in an alternate universe so it wont necessarily connect to any established Marvel characters or lore. Noah Hawley was given a ton of freedom to make it his own.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »

I have a theory based on stuff I read about the comics:
    One or more characters are going to die and David is going to absorb their consciousness into his own mind. Season 1 is going to be his origin story of Legion and season 2 is going to explore his struggles with it.

Also I don't think he will be able to defeat the devil with the yellow eyes yet. Maybe he contains it, maybe it takes over. But I bet it is coming back for season 2

Lastly there are divisions other than division 3 and I think someone else is going to come after him. Possibly destroying the Summerland headquarters so David will have to move forward.

Confirmed there are other Divisions. In episode 1, the Division 3 guy says that "Division 1 wants to kill him right now."

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Also I read that Legion takes place in an alternate universe so it wont necessarily connect to any established Marvel characters or lore. Noah Hawley was given a ton of freedom to make it his own.

That's pretty much a given being as it's a TV show, even if they claim otherwise.

I mean, even the movies do this, so there's like no chance.

Xeddicus on
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    scherbchen wrote: »
    I kinda liked Aubrey Plaza in P&R a lot but jesus is she just killing it on Legion.

Yeah I've been really impressed with her as well. I love that they gave her so much creative control, because she's just amazing in this show. In P&R I just kind of gradually realized that she's pretty good, but this show has turned her into one of my favorite actors.

MSL59.jpg
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i wonder what the fate of jermaine clements character will be

him getting absorbed would make for a funny second season

God I want him to stick around forever

• KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Just powered through the first six episodes.

Jesus, this is so good. The cinematography alone makes it worthwhile, amazing stuff.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
    Confirmed!
    2hr0tvd.png

• Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Maaaaaaan that episode was so good.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Bill Irwin being in this show is such a treat. I've liked him since the Robin Williams Popeye movie, he's just so much fun to look at. Amber Midthunder is going to have her hands full trying to mirror him.

i love that his rational mind has an english accent

obF2Wuw.png
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Aubrey Plaza as a B&W silent film villain is something I never knew I needed in my life, but here we are.

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    I loved his rational mind mocking his attempt at an English accent

PwH4Ipj.jpg
    Aubrey Plaza as a B&W silent film villain is something I never knew I needed in my life, but here we are.

!beetlejuice lenny

obF2Wuw.png

He even sounded like Patrick Stewart during some of the classroom scenes.