As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Liquor, liqueor and cocktails

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    #pipe wrote: »
    Like I'm not even kidding. I don't understand how tonic water is a thing. It's not even like "Hm, I don't care for this". I drink a small mouthful and my body has a violent, visceral reaction like I stuck my hand in a fire.

I'm not saying that it tastes bad, I'm saying my body is convinced that it is poison

It's kind of a cilantro situation. Depending on how your taste buds are wired, some folks get a refreshingly acerbic hint of bitterness, some people get a drink that tastes like it swapped out the gin for turpentine.

The Taste of Quinine: It's In Your Bitter Genes.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I don't think of tonic water as bitter.

It's hella sweet and gross.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

There's a fair amount (too much, if you ask me) of sweetener added to it.

But quinine is real bitter, as is straight cinchona bark.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Tonight I bought a cheap-ass bottle of Seagram's vodka and a big jug of Zing Zang Bloody Mary mix.

Zing Zang is still my favorite BM mix, and this Seagram's isn't the worst thing.

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    tonic water is terrible without the gin to go with it

gin is also terrible without the tonic water to go with it

(imo)

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I bought some Rear Admiral Joseph gin from trader Joe's for 8 dollara. I have to say for 8 dollars it isn't bad.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Everyone just drink old fashioneds all the time everywhere always

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Everyone just drink old fashioneds all the time everywhere always

I think

you'll find that you mean manhattans

Also aheheheheheheh BM mix.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Bloody Mary's are gross

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Negronis let's do this.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Tonight I bought a cheap-ass bottle of Seagram's vodka and a big jug of Zing Zang Bloody Mary mix.

Zing Zang is still my favorite BM mix, and this Seagram's isn't the worst thing.

Zing Zang is one of the more popular bloody mary mixes found in a lot of bars (and with good reason) since it has a good blend of spices and heat; Major Peters has a bit more horseradish flavor than most folks like, but I think it's pretty dang good. Still, the best mix is one you make yourself, suited to your particular tastes; keep in mind that it only gets better over time, so make your "perfect" mix the day before, leave it in the fridge, then taste it the next day. You'll definitely notice a difference.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    There's a lot of variety in the tonic water you can get now and not all of them are way sweet (ymmv, I drink my coffee black and my liquor straight so my bitterness tolerance is at least middling). I got a six pack of this stuff from my grocery store and the difference was a big shock to me (this is old news to a lot of you but I am a G&T babby).

717j7IdkH9L._SL1500_.jpg

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Like I'm not even kidding. I don't understand how tonic water is a thing. It's not even like "Hm, I don't care for this". I drink a small mouthful and my body has a violent, visceral reaction like I stuck my hand in a fire.

I'm not saying that it tastes bad, I'm saying my body is convinced that it is poison

To slightly change the subject, this is my reaction to basically any liquor for some reason. I don't know if it's just a taste I have to work more towards acquiring or what.

I'm legit bummed about this because I have been all about expanding my tastes in food and drink the past couple years, and this just seems like a wall I can't quite tackle.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    jgeis wrote: »

Zing Zang is one of the more popular bloody mary mixes found in a lot of bars (and with good reason) since it has a good blend of spices and heat; Major Peters has a bit more horseradish flavor than most folks like, but I think it's pretty dang good. Still, the best mix is one you make yourself, suited to your particular tastes; keep in mind that it only gets better over time, so make your "perfect" mix the day before, leave it in the fridge, then taste it the next day. You'll definitely notice a difference.

This is true, I think at this point the only things I need to buy to make a decent Bloody Mary are Worcestershire sauce and tomato juice. I've got the dry seasonings I like, and I've got horseradish, hot sauce, and pickles/their juice.

jgeis on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Ohhh yea, mixed up my ratio of simple syrup and lime juice in my daiquiri. Fuck that is sweet! luckily I had enough room in the glass to add more lime juice.

Woops!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Hey @Lost Salient, I know you said you don't like sweet, but how do you feel about rum? I feel like that may be relatively available in your part of the world.

I've had funky Fiji rums that rival the water content of any Jamaican I've had, and then there's one of rum's close cousins, Batavia Arrack...

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    If you insist on drinking rum, drinking arrack is an acceptable solution

• Options
    I don't care for rum.

Also it makes me throw up like WHOA. I assume because of the sugar.

The interesting thing about Singapore is that there is no derth of choice, actually... If you have the dollars. You can get a LOT of variety. But because of the heavy tax leveled on liquor it's all bananas expensive.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Is there any good local hooch?
    I'm sorry, I'm sorry, my aunt routinely uses the word hooch and I love it, I do.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The best liqueur is featured in this short story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YDo2Ef3Cxw

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Oh man, I was waiting for this to return solely because of this news story. I want to try this so bad and I will probably never be able to afford to! ( They should discount it for us Canadians who lived nearby!)

cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/distilling-the-beast-fort-mcmurray-captures-wildfire-in-a-bottle-1.3822005

A single pallet of peated malt was untouched by the 2 week forest fire, but got smoked out HARD, is gonna be a smokey as hell whisky and I want to try it so bad.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I think I found Fantomex

https://youtu.be/oh7vM2054M0

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So one of the local chains is having a big sale and I'm looking at stuff but am struck by indecision.

Anyone have any good whiskey recommendations? I'm currently waffling between a Glenfiddich 15 year for 57 bucks or a bottle of Blade and Bow and a bottle of Bulleit for about the same price.

I think the Glenfiddich might be wasted on my unrefined palate.

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Combo up Four Roses Small Batch and Henry McKenna Bottled-in-Bond bottles at that price.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

The solution is to do what I do and make your own tonic syrup.

I end up using something along the lines of 25%-30% or what the recipie calls for and use vodka help preserve the syrup.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    I ain't really know much about aquavits, although I did help make glögg once?

Y'all inspired me so I ran down the list of my current liquor cabinet
    Maker's Mark bourbon
    High West American Prairie bourbon
    High West Campfire
    Nikka's Miyagikyo Single Malt
    Oban
    Dalwhinnie 15-year (thanks @Veldrin)
    Tres Generaciones reposado (also a gift)
    Patron añejo
    Hendrick's gin
    Poltergeist unfiltered gin
    Tanqueray
    Russian Standard vodka
    Absolut vodka
    Cointreau
    Alipus San Baltazar mezcal
    Siecle d'Or cognac
    Pimm's No. 1
    Ron Abuelo añejo rum
    Sweet vermouth
    Dry vermouth
    Pernod
    Campari
    Angostura bitters
    fancy handmade bitters

And my wishlist is currently:
    Aperol
    Benedictine
    Frangelico
    Fernet
    Peychaud's
    Grenadine
    Lillet Blanc
    St. Germain

...I don't know if I should feel proud of myself now or like. Worried.

i don't have a liquor cabinet because the idea of booze lasting more than a few days on my shelf is alien.

some times my freeze has vodka in it, tho

so...be proud?

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Combo up Four Roses Small Batch and Henry McKenna Bottled-in-Bond bottles at that price.

Those look interesting, sold. Got them both for 50 bucks, which was honestly less than I figuring I was gonna spend tonight so good deal.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I was brewing beer today (a cream ale in case you were wondering) and I only needed ~1.75 oz of hops pellets for the recipe and I had 2 oz so I decided to try something crazy and cracked open one of those little glass tonic water bottles (I usually try to keep a couple in my fridge at all times) and dropped 2 pellets in. About 5 hours later I checked up on it and wow does this make a pretty great, if unconventional, G&T.

I used a mesh strainer to make sure no little hops bits would float around in the drink but most of the hops particulate rushed out with a lot of foam when I every so slowly cracked it open. Think Mentos + Diet Coke but less extreme. The carbonation + lots of surface area makes many, many bubbles resulting in a small mess on my kitchen counter.

The tonic has the most amazing sweet floral hops note to it, but because it was kept in the fridge not too much bitterness was transferred. The aroma is seriously strong, almost overwhelming, but in a good way. The front end of taste is very sweet (likely the sugar in the tonic) and a strong grassy flavor from the hops which complements the aromatics from the gin very nicely. The back end has that light astringent bitterness from the tonic mixed with an earthy bitterness provided from the hops. The cocktail was a neat greenish-yellow color too. I think I have just enough left to make another so I'm going to go do that now :biggrin:

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    I was brewing beer today (a cream ale in case you were wondering) and I only needed ~1.75 oz of hops pellets for the recipe and I had 2 oz so I decided to try something crazy and cracked open one of those little glass tonic water bottles (I usually try to keep a couple in my fridge at all times) and dropped 2 pellets in. About 5 hours later I checked up on it and wow does this make a pretty great, if unconventional, G&T.

I used a mesh strainer to make sure no little hops bits would float around in the drink but most of the hops particulate rushed out with a lot of foam when I every so slowly cracked it open. Think Mentos + Diet Coke but less extreme. The carbonation + lots of surface area makes many, many bubbles resulting in a small mess on my kitchen counter.

The tonic has the most amazing sweet floral hops note to it, but because it was kept in the fridge not too much bitterness was transferred. The aroma is seriously strong, almost overwhelming, but in a good way. The front end of taste is very sweet (likely the sugar in the tonic) and a strong grassy flavor from the hops which complements the aromatics from the gin very nicely. The back end has that light astringent bitterness from the tonic mixed with an earthy bitterness provided from the hops. The cocktail was a neat greenish-yellow color too. I think I have just enough left to make another so I'm going to go do that now :biggrin:

what kind of hops was it?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    also i think i'm reaching peak inner-city hipster since i'm strongly considering making my own mead

all I really need for it is a small bar fridge, a 10-litre jar and a bottle-capping machine

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    It was Cascade hops

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I'm making mead currently. Really I'm bulk aging it till it is clear.

I'm 2 months from pitching. Probably 4 to 6 more to go.

Boy I wish I started smaller so I could have cold crashed it.

But I wanted to go full hipster and started with 5 gallons starting volume.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    so the recipe i've got is just 8 litres of water, 1.5 kg of honey and then 10 days in a huge jar (maybe a few more if you find it a bit sweet), 1 day in bottles to carbonate (if you are into that sort of thing) and then it gets kept in the fridge

seems pretty simple, and I'm kinda tempted to just go with it at first and then learn more complicated things later. My housemates are kinda weirded out by the idea of carbonated mead, especially since the last time we got our hands on some proper bottles, it was designed to be heated and then drunk, but I'm intruiged.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Like, you can just make mead with honey and water?

If there's two things I have in abundance, it's that. I could be drunk as a lord right now.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Sorce wrote: »

If there's two things I have in abundance, it's that. I could be drunk as a lord right now.

A traditional mead is water honey and yeast yeah.

Most of the time you don't even want to heat the must either cause you can burn away the aromatics from the honey. Just sanitize everthing really good.

There is a good subreddit for mead making.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular

Late on this, but Four Roses Small Batch is one of my favorites. Everything in the Four Roses line is better than you would expect it to be at the price point.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »

recipe i've got is just that. apparently you want raw honey, because a lot of the stuff that gets sold is pasteurised, and it says you're gonna want purified water, and to have gone and sterilised all your jars and bottles and etc.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    So one of the local chains is having a big sale and I'm looking at stuff but am struck by indecision.

Anyone have any good whiskey recommendations? I'm currently waffling between a Glenfiddich 15 year for 57 bucks or a bottle of Blade and Bow and a bottle of Bulleit for about the same price.

I think the Glenfiddich might be wasted on my unrefined palate.

Get that 15 year it's good.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    IS IT THE SPEC'S SALE?

I have no idea what Blade and Bow is but if High West is on sale, buy that.

Yesterday at the bar I was talking with one of the bartenders and we tried a limited release High West aged in vermouth and syrah barrels. It was interesting and VERY strong. A little spicy sort of? Then we had a bottled in bond straight rye from Colonel E.H. Taylor, which I hadn't had before, which I liked more.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg