As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TALES] of Berseria

123457»

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Water Temple:
    I cannot beat the tree boss for the life of me. I can't interrupt its spellcasting, debuff it for extra souls, or dodge its attacks.

Also, the few times I've strung together an eight hit combo to trigger Velvets level two L2 attack, the button won't fucking work.

Help?

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Water Temple:
    I cannot beat the tree boss for the life of me. I can't interrupt its spellcasting, debuff it for extra souls, or dodge its attacks.

Also, the few times I've strung together an eight hit combo to trigger Velvets level two L2 attack, the button won't fucking work.

Help?
    That's the second hardest boss in the game imo, mostly because the AI is terrible at avoiding AoE spells. Set everyone to defensive and not to use the break gage, keep Magilou in and switch to her to eat large spells, and try to get a good mystic art chain off (hold the mystic art button plus a d pad direction top have the character in that slot combo their mystic art after you; you can chain through the whole team this way and rack up tons of damage). If you have any of the titles that prevent BG from depleting on death then use them; it makes it a lot easier when your dumb party members keep eating it.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So Enhancing and Dismantling:
    Gets exponentially more tedious as ranks go up? I'm enhancing a bunch of stuff to +1, to dismantle for coarse powder, to enhance more stuff to +5, for standard powder, to enhance more stuff to +8, to dismantle for fine powder, to be able to enhance things furthest?

I'm getting flashbacks to Tactics Ogre crafting.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I never bothered getting anything past rank 5 and even then barely.

The rate at which you switch equipment makes it really not worth it during the main game.

• Options
    Just beat the snake lady boss:
    The scene with Medissa and Kamoana ripped my heart out. Oh my lord. What a gut punch.

• Options
    Boss help, at Lionel island:
    Failed Oscar is anything but; thus far he's proven literally fucking impossible to kill.

Any tips?

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Hey my girlfriend's like 10-15 hours into Berseria and oh dang! I really like these folks, this is a nice cast. Magilou is fun, and I like the fact that Velvet and Eizen are having a tough-character-off and I like that they keep giving extremely bad advice to a child.

I'm trying to be of use in fights, but after all the damn tutorializing I still don't totally get the combat system.

One thing that's been happening is that we'll get in a fight, she'll be playing as Laphicet, and then like 9 snakes will start chasing her and she'll just run circles around the fight while I try to peel them off her unsuccessfully. Is there an easy way to grab aggro? I've been enjoying playing as Rokurou but the fact that his Break Soul requires that someone actually try to attack has been frustrating.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I just bought Berseria yesterday, and have already sunk almost 9 hours into it. Loving it all. The combat is really great and flows so well. Magilou hasn't even joined my party yet and is already my favorite. Laphicet is a precious baby and must be protected.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    What the actual fuck is Kamoana’s design

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Been playing Tales of Xillia 2, as I wanted to run through that before starting Tales of Berseria. I really, really liked the original.

I really, really hate the sequel. I've put it down. That's one of the most miserable experiences I think I've ever had in an RPG.

It's like everything about that game is designed to waste your time, with banal sidequests even worse than Lightning Returns. The bosses are incredibly annoying -- on at least 3 occasions I laughed out loud when I got a "Game Over" screen instead of what I expected, which was a cutscene where I was supposed to lose. The sudden difficulty spikes between an area's enemies and the boss are so hilariously out of whack that it feels like somebody just randomly punched some numbers in for the enemies and called it a day.

So it wants me to grind a whole bunch, or alternatively keep retrying the boss until I figure out exactly how it wants me to have my allies' Strategy settings configured. It also really wants me to control Ludger, as switching to him as my main resulted in at least one seemingly impossible boss utterly melting into putty before my onslaught and my suddenly-smarter AI companions.

But I don't want to control Ludger. I hate his lack of character, his visual design, and the whole switching weapons mechanic, which requires memorizing several tables' worth of moves to get the most out of. I want to control Milla, who I main'd in the first game, but I never even got far enough for her to join your party (assuming she even does).

The story is also incredibly stupid, and it's utterly depressing what became of the original game's cast. Not, like, that horrible tragedy befell them, but rather that, for the most part, they retreated into mundane mediocrity and relative failure. Hilariously dumb for a set of people who had the power to literally save the world. And now they're stuck being the entourage for some other failure of a guy who's only in this because of some magic birthright super-power.

Yeah, I hate Xillia 2 with a deep, burning passion.

I'll be taking a bit of a break from the series before jumping into Berseria. I don't want that foulness lingering and messing with my ability to appreciate it.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I only vaguely remember what happens in Xillia 2, but I recall enjoying it. I don't remember any difficulty spikes.

Zesteria is pretty awful though. Bland the whole way through.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Ludger is the worst and the main story of Xillia 2 is not good. The side-story continuation/denouement of the resolution to the changes in the magic system from the first story is what I was really interested in. It is too bad that they added a bad fanfiction retcon and new characters (do not steal) for the sequel. The combat system for all the characters aside from Ludger is actually really tightly balanced and a lot of fun when playing with someone local. There's some bad balancing issues though around the game wanting you to use the horribly broken Ludger (who can beat a number of bosses by just chaining normal combos over and over). Pretty much every other character is more interesting to play. It's just a pity that they didn't do something more interesting with all of it.

If you are so-so on Tales games, skip Zesteria. It has horrible camera angles, a fundamentally broken difficulty system, and a story that starts out with an interesting premise that then stalls out and ends up going nowhere.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »

Her levels of annoying child haunt my nightmares.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I liked Xillia more overall cause Jude and Millia were pretty cool characters but combat wise I actually liked X2 more.

Also Ludger being silent was dumb(I guess they wanted him to be "you" and I'm like...eh) but he was overpowered and that was fun.

Also some of the character redesigns were cool.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    In my opinion, Xillia 2 has the best combat system in the series, if you remove Ludger from consideration.

I'd have been more interested in them developing
    Celsius
    as a companion with their own combat system and done something more interesting with the merging of the two worlds.

• Options
    I liked Ludger, and Xillia 2.

But then, I also really like Zestiria, so maybe I'm just wrong.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Nah, that's fair. Opinions and likes aren't universal by any means and I can see why something might work for one person and doesn't work for another. The camera issues aren't quite as bad in Zesteria if you play single player and the story is mostly disappointing to me in the sense of wasted potential rather than being fundamentally bad. The combat system is serviceable for going through the story (although it has some issues on how the higher difficulties work).

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    It’s funny hearing how different xillia 2 seems to some. Wasn’t it supposed to be one game that got split into two?

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    It’s funny hearing how different xillia 2 seems to some. Wasn’t it supposed to be one game that got split into two?

I'm not sure about that. I do think though, that removing Ludger and his brother from the story and sticking with the original cast (plus the 2-3 other returning characters) would have made for a better story and much better characterization.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »

Her levels of annoying child haunt my nightmares.

Phi was such a good child character they had to bring in an awful one to prevent the fabric of reality from collapsing.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Kamoana has seen some shit, let her be.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    Kamoana has seen some shit, let her be.

As soon as her voice stops sounding like an eternally-pinched deflating balloon.

• Options
    Kamoana isn’t a character she’s a plot device.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Man, as if Erica Lindbeck wasn't already knocking it out of the park as Magilou, she then goes and actually pronounces geas correctly! A++

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    So I've been having an odd problem with getting Berseria to run properly on my computer. It never pops up as a program; when I look in the Task Manager, it appears as a service, like it's running in the background. Steam says it's running, and uninstalling and reinstalling it hasn't corrected this.

Anyone know what's up and how to fix it? I only played up to Loegres and kinda want to restart from scratch.