Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Doodmann Doodles and Maybe Makes Stuff?

DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
edited February 24 in Artist's Corner
I'm going to make this OP into kind of a portfolio thing, but I wanted a thread for questions on my doodles and WIPS.

I'm a Graphic Designer so I would love to talk to people on here about the nuts and bolts of the industry. Lately I've been doing a lot of clothing industry color correction and I've started using just a curves layer over a mid-tone selection mask; it not the norm in my experience and I wonder why since it keeps more detail in tact. My day job is a lot of stuff that it technically interesting but boring to show, since ideally no one knows I did it.

Mostly would like to do more physical illustration/art, but it's definitely not my strong suite.

Here is something I recently finished (a rarity!)

M67csra.jpg

Doodmann on

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited February 24
    I've been putting this together recently and I'm ready to ink but I'm not sure how I should shade it. I would like to do a Mike Migonla kind of thing but that might be too extreme, especially on the cartoon characters.

DhFc2fll.jpg

Doodmann on
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Well, one of the things about Mignola, style wise, is that he achieves visual intricacies through relatively simple forms and by using really good balance of shadows, which I think is definitely possible with the composition you have so far!

I couldn't muster the gumption to start inking that thing so started on one of the other projects I've been putting off.

It's been a while since I did anything with oil pastels but it was fun to jump back in!

67uErN5l.jpg

edited March 3
    I started inking...and immediately fucked up the hat so now I have to actually think about how to shade/light the whole thing while also keeping the main wall light so I can write on it.

I like the idea of going Magnola on it still, I might mess with it digitally for ideas first.

iJ1kb50m.jpg

*updated with some digital ink to try it out*

43etD7lm.jpg

Continued to mess with the inking, I'm starting to get into a linocut kind of look that might work.

A18h5l1m.jpg

Small progress. I wish I had more time...stupid full time job.

xsPLqjgl.jpg

Doodmann on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Working on it digitally first is probably a solid idea.

Id be really curious to see what you do for work. Honestly our lack of designers is self perpetuating. No one posts that kind of stuff, so no one talks about it.

Doodmann
    edited March 1
    Iruka wrote: »
    Working on it digitally first is probably a solid idea.

I'd be really curious to see what you do for work. Honestly our lack of designers is self perpetuating. No one posts that kind of stuff, so no one talks about it.

I work in house for a uniform manufacturer so it's a combination of not being able to show anything I work on until its like 3-4 months old so I already have moved on/hate it, and being boring to begin with because of the industry. Let me look through some of my stuff and I'll see what I can show off.

In the meantime here is some recent branding identity stuff I've done on the side.

x79pUK6l.jpg

qQMlN2Ql.jpg

LrJPyxgl.jpg

0DfJFoYl.jpg
    haz5FoCl.jpg
    vrP7hqql.jpg
    uGr37zQl.jpg

Doodmann on
    bowentapeslinger
    Back at it, adding more detailing to his cloak, arm and the wall.

hOjG3NMl.jpg

Should I just keep all of the updates to this on one post or separate them out every once in a while?

• mateosjammateosjam Mateo Registered User new member
    It's really original. I like your drawing style. :)

Doodmann
    More updates on this thing, I haven't had time lately and now my hand cramped up super fast.

3GaViVnl.jpg

• mateosjammateosjam Mateo Registered User new member
    Take your time, just the result is important. You have a great talent. :D