Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[13th Age WM]Hunt for the Missing Hunters! Adventure Thread

24

Posts

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    "You can do as you please" Malnir says. "But maybe don't go alone? Like, that boar there was found only an hour's walk from here. We've large tracks go through this camp ground when no one was here. It's... dangerous to go alone."

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    "Well if enough of us want to go find some more food, I'm happy enough to come with, otherwise I guess it's.... biscuits and jam?!"
    Guile grimaces into his open backpack.

  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    edited March 6
    Mort: "I'll gladly wait till morning if it means everyone gets to see it." *mort also does not eat*
    I can keep a watch with others as "sorta dead" means no sleep required, and I don't need time to refresh spell slots or anything as we didn't use any. I as player and Mort vote sleep and strike out in the morning, I don't think the hunters will be anxious to follow us, and besides, ADVENTURE!

    QuantumTurk on
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    If anyone wants to use the last bits of daylight to hunt, roll me a tracking/hunting skill check And if Mort wants to be the solo watcher for the night watch, then I'll need 4 different rolls for watch (since I normally do one for each shift).

  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Bud: "since there are so many of us, and we know there's trouble about I think we should stand a two man watch. I've seen what wolves can do when theyre desperate and these dire beast are a sight more ornery than that"

  • HellboreHellbore There are no strings on me Registered User regular
    "I agree with Bud. We'll rotate the watches around." Zariya turns to Mort.

    "At least that way you'll have some company overnight."

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    "Yeah. Who needs sleep anyway"

  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Cool, I think we are set for at least 2 people per shift, pending the answer to below. Would this be a wis+lvl+background roll?And one roll per watch group or one per person?[l
    "Thanks all, two sets of eyes sure beats one. Will our fine hunter hosts be joining on rounds to make it 3 a shift, or take the opportunity for a bit more sleep? I understand if you need the rest after taking that *gestures to dire boar* down."


  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Yeah, anyone wanting to do a watch can do so as a Wis+Level+Background. Let me know what shifts you are taking (First, Second, Third, or Forth). For hunting, Give me pretty much the same skill check but with the background that works for you. If people want the NPC hunters to take a watch, just say where you want them and I'll roll their checks.

  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Mort watches on 1-4, no, sleep, till....
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Watch #1
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Watch #2
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Watch #3
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Watch #4

    Watch #1:
    1d20+3 9 [1d20=6]
    Watch #2:
    1d20+3 20 [1d20=17]
    Watch #3:
    1d20+3 13 [1d20=10]
    Watch #4:
    1d20+3 19 [1d20=16]

  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited March 3
    Bud: "I'll grab first watch with Mort and the boy(Cobblie), we'll wake the next shift"

    and eat 3 more candies(195)

    Geth Roll 1d20+5 for Watch #1

    I'd argue the 2 in background:ranching is applicable. Got keep an eye out for animals that'd attack the herd

    Watch #1:
    1d20+5 14 [1d20=9]

    tinwhiskers on
  • HellboreHellbore There are no strings on me Registered User regular
    Zariya

    "I'll take last watch. I'm something of an early riser anyway."

    Geth Roll 1d20+4 for Watch #4

    I'll use the guardsman background. That's mostly lookout stuff, right?

    Watch #4:
    1d20+4 22 [1d20=18]

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited March 4
    Geth roll 1d2+1 for Watch #
    Geth roll 1d20+7 for Manning the watch


    "I don't really mind the midnight shifts"

    Watch #:
    1d2+1 2 [1d2=1]
    Manning the watch:
    1d20+7 23 [1d20=16]

    discrider on
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    The night goes along smoothly for most. During the third shift, however, Mort and Lady Haswell are sitting around tending the fire when both of them notice the sudden silent that falls over the woods. Both try to gather what could be the cause but after a few minutes of seeing nothing, the sounds of insects and frogs return. The rest of the night is uneventful.

    The next morning, the hunters get up at first light and start packing up the meats, bones, and hides from their hunt. "We wish you luck." Norgen said before they left. "Any word you want me to sent back to town?"

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited March 6
    "Just the usual I guess."
    Guile says, shouldering his pack once more.
    "That we're headed southwest to Blackwire and that we were all still in one piece when you left us.

    And may your travel be uneventful also."

    discrider on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    "Oh, and perhaps you can give my regards to the men on the wall."
    He brandishes a half finished jar of jam that is now befouled with six or so broken biscuits.
    "Tell them I already miss their cooking."

  • HellboreHellbore There are no strings on me Registered User regular
    Zariya finished restrapping her armor and shouldered her pack.

    "You and I had very different experiences with guard cooking, Guile," she said, with a small smile.

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Norgen laughs, "Sure, we'll let them know that their cooking is top notch. Best luck to you, lot."

    The group heads south and by mid-day come across a river, it's water seem to be rushing a bit faster than the river that cuts close to Havenhold. Looking around, the group spots a fallen tree that might have been used to cross at some point, but now it's fallen further into the river, something that must have happen recently. There doesn't seem to be any way around it from this point, to cross, the group either has to swim or search for another place to cross up or down the river, which means getting off the path marked by the hunters before them.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Is the tree broken, or just a bit wet and in the river now?
    How wide is the river?

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    The tree isn't broken, it just slide down the side of the bank and sunk deep into the river. Since the tree was obviously on the bank on the other side and now you see only half the tree, you guess that the river is pretty deep, maybe 15-20 feet deep. The river itself is only 100 or so yards across, but it seems like the hunters where using the tree as a bridge instead of building on proper. Which, by the way, building a bridge proper could take 2-3 days, if you want to spend the time doing so, which is totally up to you guys! :)

  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    As far as speed and depth...Mort can't drown, does this look like something he could underwater ford if he held a rock and maybe take a rope across so that others could pull themselves along?...I'd also need someone's rope.
    Mort: "Well, if it seems wise I could set up a line so you can haul yourselves along. Beats fighting the current!"

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    You'd have to give me a hard strength check to not get swept up by the current. The river is moving fast.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited March 6
    So the tree is exposed on this bank of the river?

    Guile grimaces at the thought of swimming.
    "Seems to me the two options here are to go around and come back to this spot on the other side of the river, or put the tree back"

    discrider on
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Yeah, the tree is on your side of the river that you can see.

  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Mort: "Well, looks like we are hiking. I don't fancy being swept away and I don't know if our skillset includes moving a whole water logged log."

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    "It's wood right? It should be fine once we pull it out of the riverbed."

  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Mort, dubiously trying out his shoulders and arms with a little tug on each to see if they are going to stay where they are
    "well...I suppose if we call pitch in and give it a try, I'm good to lash it and heave ho."

    (this roll is for if others agree, and thus in spoilers so I don't influence decisions with results./I don't know how group rolls work)
    Geth Roll 1d20+1 for the strength to help haul this log out

    the strength to help haul this log out:
    1d20+1 2 [1d20=1]

    discrider
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Guile looks around and quickly finds a suitable branch to fashion as a pivot
    "Besides.", Guile continues, drawing one of his handaxes, "I don't know if my skillset includes not drowning"
    The handaxe rings out as its blade bites deep into the tree's bark.

    After a couple more strikes, the branch detaches from the trunk, and Guile works quickly to produce a straight round length of wood, at least thrice as thick as a man's arm, to put underneath the log.

    "Even if you can't help us with dislodging the log in the first place, we'll probably need your weight at least to bring the log back to level once we've pulled it out."

    One of the most routine parts of Tending the Border, is keeping the ground around the wall clear of foliage. It's just easier to fill someone with arrows if you can see them. So every so often parts of the Shield will patrol around the Edge and clear the undergrowth, new trees, fallen logs and the like.

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    So if the group together wants to pull the log out of the water, you'll need to do a team skill challenge. Basically, everyone rolls a strength+background check and if 3/4 of the group can clear the DC (in this case you'll need a 10 or higher) then you pull it out and can control the log to set it back up. Failure depends on how badly you fail.

    QuantumTurk
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited March 6
    What is 100 yards vs normal movement speed? The rule book seems kind of vague on it, and I have some movement speed boost and air dash like shit

    Bud: "I might be able to make it across and throw a rope back you you guys"

    But I'm okay trying to pull this thing up, too.

    tinwhiskers on
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    100 yards is a football field. Normal movement speed in a round is 10 yards (30 feet). While the book is vague on how far one might travel in a single movement action, I generally use the D&D concept of movements.

  • HellboreHellbore There are no strings on me Registered User regular
    Zariya drops her pack, and stretches out.

    "Pretty sure we could get this to move, if we lift together," she said sizing up the log.

    She noticed Guile fashion a pivot out of some nearby wood, and nodded, impressed.

    "And that will help."

  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Lemme know if I should roll differently, but up above was d20+lvl (str mod is 0, no relevant skills really) so I think I'm ready to rock.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    "Well, if we drop the bridge in the river, we can try sending someone across after.
    So if everyone's ready..."
    Geth roll 1d20+9 for Shifting the log

    Shifting the log:
    1d20+9 15 [1d20=6]

  • HellboreHellbore There are no strings on me Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+8 for Strength

    Strength:
    1d20+8 9 [1d20=1]

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    oh dear.

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I'm not going to count Mort's first try above since that was before I told you about the group challenge. So there is still hope.

  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    edited March 7
    Geth roll 1d20+1 for yay takesie backsies.

    edit: whelp, fail forward

    yay takesie backsies:
    1d20+1 8 [1d20=7]

    QuantumTurk on
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+6 for move the log.

    move the log:
    1d20+6 9 [1d20=3]

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited March 7
    "It's like you guys have never moved a dead tree before.


    Oh wait"
    As it dawns on Guile that perhaps he can't expect his party to perform in concert in precisely the same way as a group from the homogenous body of the Captain's Shield does.

    discrider on
Sign In or Register to comment.