Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[13th Age WM]Hunt for the Missing Hunters! Adventure Thread

124»

Posts

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    More than one person can do this roll, which could increase your chances of finding things.

  • HellboreHellbore There are no strings on me Registered User regular
    I thought this would be a party roll or something. I was just waiting to see if anyone had anything else to say.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Well, I'm assuming we're searching somewhere, so Guile's going to look out for lookouts.
    And I guess maybe stumble on some markers too, if they exist
    I'm rolling the look for markers roll at -5 because I reckon Guile's distracted trying to spot any Exiles who might be around:
    Geth roll 1d20+7 for not running into bad dudes unawares
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for looking for trail markers and being distracted by the first roll

    not running into bad dudes unawares:
    1d20+7 25 [1d20=18]
    looking for trail markers and being distracted by the first roll:
    1d20+2 10 [1d20=8]

  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Geth Roll 1d20+3 for circumnavigate camp to search for signs of hunters

    circumnavigate camp to search for signs of hunters:
    1d20+3 17 [1d20=14]

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Guile's search of the area goes unnoticed by the Exiles, and that allows him to get close to the wall. He finds a small hunter's knife near a low point in the wall of trees, and some gashes in it, seems that someone was trying to scale the wall here. The small stain of blood ground near the wall suggests that the person didn't make it across, but was at least alive when the Exiles grabbed them.

    Bud's search comes across a small area of branches and leaves that have been flatten by a someone who had laid in that place for awhile. Looking from their view, Bud can see that the spying spot had a clear view of the camp, where Guile is, and be able to fire arrows into part of the camp if one had a longbow. Looking around, Bud found a few arrows stuck in the ground nearby, showing that someone had planned on doing just that. But there also seemed to be two other footprints, which meant that someone here was likely captured, but didn't put up a fight. The footprints lead down to the fort.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Guile is conflicted.

    Here is sure evidence that a man tried to scale a wall and was injured by its defenders.
    This is a scene which I have seen so many times before, often inflicted by me on the Exiles themselves.
    But here the roles have changed. Here the Exiles are the defenders, and my City's People are the ones intruding.

    If this were my city, the hunter would have lost an arm or two by now, if not worse.
    How fair is it then for me to still be hoping that the hunter can be returned unscathed, when I would not have afforded the Exiles that possibility myself?


    Guile's eyes narrow.

    I will have to talk with these hunters.

  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    "Well looks like at least one of our boys got caught by these savages. Who knows if he's still alive. I still like waiting till dark. If they patrol out, maybe we jump em. Otherwise maybe try and sneak on up for a look over the wall"

    When were were looking at the camp, is there a latrine somewhere? Is it inside or outside the walls?

  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Mort: "I support any plan that involves hitting them before they hit us." *Muggs gives a little bark of agreement* "If these exiles are hurting civilized folk, I don't really care why. I care for the town first."

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    The group waits until night, watching the training of the Exiles. It's pretty clear this isn't for hunting or event defense, this is for attacking and fighting large groups. As night starts to fall, the training ends and the Exiles head inside the fort. However, this leaves 5 guards walking around the yard and two standing on top of the fort itself.

  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Mort: "perfect, a sneaking mission. My song based magic and attacks are well suited to this./s"

  • HellboreHellbore There are no strings on me Registered User regular
    Zariya

    "We need to take care of the two up top before we get in the courtyard. We don't need the whole fort waking up."

    She turns to Mort, "You got anything that will help out with that?"

  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    (on phone, pretend this is blue) as soon as I check my spell list at home I'll see about necromancering on em.

  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited March 21
    Sorry, I'm just a bit confused with what we have in front of us. I think the fort and yard bit is confusing me. Is the yard inside of the building proper, or is the yard the 50 yards between the building and the wall? I guess it kind of boils down to is there 1 wall or 2 between us and the 5 roving guards. How high are the wall and building roof where the other 2 guards are at? And where are the gates or w/e in the fort and exterior wall?


    tinwhiskers on
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    More like this:
    e88vhufjpoub.jpg

  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Bud: "Well unless he's got some tricks up his sleeve I reckon we got two options. Either we try an sneak in there or we try and lure a few of em out, and seeings as you two got half a forge worth of steel strapped to yourselves no way we all are getting over that wall unnoticed. And even if we make it over, then we still gotta get to the fort to look around, So here's what I'm a thinking.

    We go up a find a spot out there a half mile or there abouts, and light camp fire they can see from here. And find a spot between here and there were can get the jump on em if they come out and take a look, maybe in a dip or gully so the won't be able to see or hear as well from the fort. Try not to kill em, but knock em around a bit and then ask them some questions. Who knows if our boys are even alive, probably been butchered already. So we ask em and find out, if they cut them up already, then we leave em tied to a tree"

    *Bud wraps one hand around his neck, and pulls the other up behind his neck, tilting his head to the side*

    "and skedaddle on back to Havenhold to warn them about this group out here. They look like they're fixing for some trouble. If they're still alive...well then we'll be in it up to our peckers"

    *Bud glances at Zariya*
    "Apologies ma'am "
    Alternatively I could try to sneak over the back wall, solo. I'm sorta inclined to try that just to not give up the advantage of them not knowing we're here, either with the fire as a distraction or not, But I don't necessarily want to split the party, and idk what I can really expect to learn without getting into the building itself. And Bud aint no ninja. I got enough tricks I could make it out if things go south. but then we're in an even harder position.

    Or we could go full on assault, I can burn a ki point to fly up onto the roof if need be, but even trying to drop the seven who are outside without raising the alarm would be hard. I just don't have a feel for how 13th age combat is balanced to know if these odds are as suicidal as them seem on paper

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    "Wait... that saying doesn't refer to your nose?"

  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Mort: "so, after careful consideration of my abilities, I can be either very VERY loud in one place, or I can drain a little vim and vigor from one person at a moderate distance."

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited March 23
    "We're probably better off with that campfire plan then."

    discrider on
    QuantumTurk
  • HellboreHellbore There are no strings on me Registered User regular
    Zariya shows no reaction to Buds, comment or apology.

    "Agreed, ambush seems like our best bet. Did any of you notice a good vantage point for the lure fire?"

    Would that be a WIS+background to see if I noticed a good place?

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Sorry, had a sudden trip out of town, so I've been busy and will be for most the weekend, but let's update this real quick.

    @timwhiskers Combat in 13th Age is kinda deadly, like you aren't as tough as 4E characters but you also shouldn't have the problem of being one shot by an attack (most of the time). The last combat I did here for the first group will give you an idea of what to expect from a normal fight. But that NPC group was also targeting only the ACs of a group with high AC.

    @Hellbore Yeah, that will work.


  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Guile tries to recall if they passed anywhere that would be good for an ambush.

    Geth roll 1d20+7 for chokepoint analysis

    chokepoint analysis:
    1d20+7 10 [1d20=3]

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Guile spots a place down slightly uphill from the fort. It's not great for providing a lot of hiding spots for an ambush, but it is uphill, which might slow them down heading towards them. It's better than nothing, Guile figures.

    Do you want to set up your campfire/ambush here? If so, I'll need a group stealth check, DC 10 with 3/4 passing to not be seen by the bandits until you want to be seen.

  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Mort is down, assuming the rest of the party is, thus the roll in spoilers will be binding assuming other people are rolling.
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for hiding and only plus one if you don't like my case that animal training has helped muggs be a good boy who hides well.

    hiding and only plus one if you:
    1d20+4 18 [1d20=14]

  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited March 27
    Yeah, let's move this along
    Geth roll 1d20+7 for lay an ambush

    lay an ambush:
    1d20+7 15 [1d20=8]

    tinwhiskers on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited March 27
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for hiding (Dex)

    Whilst walking to the chokepoint Guile adds:

    "How many of them do we want to ambush?
    If the entire fort comes out to investigate the fire, should we not attack the fort?"

    hiding (Dex):
    1d20+3 10 [1d20=7]

    discrider on
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Three success, moving on.

    The group set up the campfire so it could be clearly seen from the fort and took their spots. And after a few minutes, three men from the fort came to investigate. They moved cautiously, looking for any signs of ambush. As they got close to the fire, they saw that no one was there, and turned around to look for whoever started the campfire.

    If you attack, roll imitative and you'll get a surprise round. Otherwise, do as you want with these three men.

  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Geth roll 2d20k1+5 for bushwhacking initiative.

    bushwhacking initiative:
    2d20k1+5 16 [2d20k1=[11], 8]

  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    geth roll 1d20+1 for bein a sneaky git (i assume init is +lvl+dex?)

    bein a sneaky git (i assume init is +lvl+dex?):
    1d20+1 9 [1d20=8]

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited 4:31AM
    Minion roll 1d20-2 for struggling out of a bush

    struggling out of a bush:
    1d20-2 12 [1d20=14]

    discrider at
124»
Sign In or Register to comment.