As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Girlfriend Parent Problems

polarbluepolarblue Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey Guys and Gals,

My girlfriend is in a weird place right now with her parents, and I would like to help as best as possible.

Background info: My girlfriend and I are in a very happy wonderful relationship, a little over a year. We plan on getting married as soon as my girlfriend is on her way into gradschool (about a year from now). We are both planning on staying in portland. If things go how I plan, i will be working at a design firm once i graduate. Big problem tho, in my current apartment as soon as the rent is up they will be increasing my rent from 650 a month to 760. This is too much for me to want to pay for a studio. and then adding an extra 100 for month to month, so I need SOMEWHERE to stay while i finish school.

My girlfriend is currently living with this mild mannered dude who loves anime, and her parents love him, he can be cool but for the most part he is a very inconsiderate room mate. Good news tho is that he is moving out in 2 months . My girlfriend needs a new room mate. So put 2 and 2 together, we get the obvious answer that we should move in together. Rent will be cheap for both of us, its a nice apartment. Its on campus. We spend the night together EVERY night anyways. We get along swimmingly.

Problem: Her parents are ANTI me.

They dont like me and they want her to be dating her ex boyfriend of 3 years ago who is a pastors kid and is married already. But they still want her to date him over me. What is screwed up is that they thing im some punk kid who is serving as some kind of a rebound emotional crutch boyfriend because my girlfriend was not happy with her father cheating and running out on the family. I take care of her, I love her, and I want nothing but the best for her. I took care of her when she had viral meningitis, Her mom didnt want to take her to the hospital to get checked out when she had menengitis. Apparently the 104 degree temp isnt that much to worry about :\ . I take care of her when she has massive migraines. Her mom is hippocritical, she takes all the meds she wants (anti depressants, etc...) but she doesnt want to allow my gf to get prescriptions, or even to take midol for cramps. They cost too much money :P When she was suffering form menengitis she almost didnt take her to the pharmacy to get her painkillers. Actually I had to help her out, and walk her to the closest pharmacy. Growing up for her sucked ass when it came to being sick.

To sum it all up her parents are crazy, but have really weird seperation problems with it all, they treat her like a child and they never listen to what she has to say. Her mom wants her to move into a house nearby with her brother.. like.. for life. (i am not even joking). Her dad wants her to move back home for life. (im not joking here either) Get a job, live at home with the rents. He feels some weird regret for cheating and running out on the family for a few years. So he wants them to be a family again to make up for those lost years. Her mom gets drunk a lot. subsequently, they fight. They refuse to take me out to dinner or acknowledge me ever, and they HATE it when my girlfriend tells them about when my parents will take us out to dinner whenever they come up to visit, or when they bought my girlfriend more xmas presents than her own family did. (Her mom wraps up open boxes of cereal that her brother had bought to eat and gives it back to them as an xmas present) Its not that they dont have money, they just dont want to spend it on anything but for themselves.

Their argument against me moving in with her is that it is immoral. and non christian to live with a guy (which she is already doing).

tl;dr
my girlfriends parents dont care about her but have a weird attachment problem where they want her to live with them and/or her brother and never with me. because im not a christian and they are such shining O_o examples of a good christian, or make that good people. Her parents are like sony of parents. Even if they do try to do something for her it just makes her dislike them more (ex. giving her the present of an old coffee maker filled with mold and what appeared to be dirt)

I feel like I should have a sit down with her parents and try to drive home what is up. But would it even be worth it? I want to make this situation better for her, but Im not sure exactly what to do.

lost.jpg
polarblue on

• Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    polarblue wrote: »
    I feel like I should have a sit down with her parents and try to drive home what is up. But would it even be worth it? I want to make this situation better for her, but Im not sure exactly what to do.

You won't be able to bring these people around. They are completely, clinically insane, and the way they've treated this girl, from your description, rises to the level of an abusive relationship.

Please tell me you talked this over with her and she realizes her folks are lunatics. Don't vacillate on this. She's the one you want to marry, not her psychotic parents.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If someone has a rubbish family (which by your account, she does) then a marriage partner is a great escape. You're the hero! I really wouldn't agonise over her parents too much - they do sound truly loco. Do you want to square with them mostly to make your girlfriend happy? Talk to her about it all; say you want her parents to like you, and see if she cares at all - she most likely won't mind that they don't approve of you.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    She knows they are crazy and doesn't care for them much. I guess I omitted the fact that her parents ARE paying for college. But use it as a threat (pull funding) Shes prepaired to quit school and save up money, but I would feel bad having her quit school because her parents dont want her living with me.

polarblue on
    lost.jpg
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    polarblue wrote: »
    She knows they are crazy and doesn't care for them much. I guess I omitted the fact that her parents ARE paying for college. But use it as a threat (pull funding) Shes prepaired to quit school and save up money, but I would feel bad having her quit school because her parents dont want her living with me.

I would get her looking at grants and scholarships pronto. There are a lot of diverse foundations, trusts etc. with money to throw around, you just have to take the time to find them and send them essays. Small price to pay for free money. Either that or have her find a company (such as Boeing, which does have a Portland office) to work for that will pay 100% of educational costs for any employee for any accredited schooling. (My fiance has taken two free cooking courses and two free language courses and only had to pay taxes on the tuition.)

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wow, know how she feels.

I had family to help me out, (Mom's side, she died when I was 10) so I moved three states away from Dad and his new wife 2 days after high school grad.
    I am still paying my own way for school, and surviving. I haven't spoken to my father in two years. My paternal grandmother flipped out when I had to replace a female druggie/theif roomate with an attatched male. No concern or offers to help with rent, merely anger about me risking my reputation. Sadly, I haven't been able to talk to her since.

The main issue I see is that her parents are paying for her school, they are making threats, and will probably pull funding if you do move in together, as they obviously don't like spending money on her anyways. (the meds thing... it's just sad... and it makes me angry :/ ) Talk to her about what will happen if they do. Is she fully reliant on them or do they just provide tuition? Can she get grants? loans? I would not reccomend quitting school entirely, at least try to take one class a semester while working. It's hard, but if you can work together and plan ahead, you should be ok. PLEASE try to explore every option before making a decision that will affect you both for a long time to come, and plan for several outcomes. Take into account your own status (income, school funds, etc).

My personal reccomendation is to get the hell away from these people. The chances of them listening to you are extremley remote, and might convice them to pull funding where they otherwise would not.
    Keep in mind with "Christian" people like this, they might decide to cut her off anyways.

Best of luck to you, and her most of all.

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Thank you guys for helpin out, grants and scholarships are a really good idea. After this term i am only a few credits from graduating so I will be able to work a pretty full work scheduel and help.

I didnt know there are companies that pay full for school, that is something we'll have to check out.

Chimmeril im sorry to hear about your situation as well, it sucks when parents are like this :\

She has some cash from working up until a term ago because she was taking 18 credits and working a ton. She has a job she can always fall back on but it only makes minimumn wage plus tips.

Part of me wishes they will straighten up and actually be the good parents they think they are, but until pigs fly i guess we'll be doing some scholarship and benefitial job searching. she had thought about taking out loans, but scholarships sound much more appealing.

polarblue on
    lost.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Heh, I got away from mine, and am much the better for it. I, too, have a good boyfriend that I plan on marrying ;)

I will root for you and your girl, keep us updated if you can!

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    how often does she see her parents? Do they show up and visit, or what? I mean, they're batshit and abusive, so the above advice about attaining financial independence is vital whether you move in or not, but I'm thinking that what they don't know won't hurt them.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    They live 20 min away by car, about an hour away by bus.

Most often they refuse to make the drive, but always try to coax her to visit via bus (neither of us can afford a car+insurance, and the trimet public transportation service IS pretty good). Which doesnt happen often, the ride is very boring, and then we have to walk a ways to the house. Apparently before we were dating, the first two years of her being in college they came to visit her like twice. Now, we see them once a month or two. The visits are awkward, they'll show up and ask her how shes doing and then start complaining about life (finances, their jobs, etc...) and then always have to leave really quick to catch "the game." (football). They are very socially awkward, sometimes her dad tells cool stories but not so much when both her mom and dad are together.

Visits to their house usually end up with her getting a long lecture about going back to work so her mom can get her paychecks. Her mom demands any paychecks that she gets, and since they finance her she does feel obligated to send them her paychecks. I can see where it is responsible to pay back people who are financing you, but in her case I think any future paychecks should be kept because the moneys are going to be essential soon.

polarblue on
    lost.jpg
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Keeping the paychecks??

Holy abuse alert, batman.

Okay, She desperately needs to open a separate savings account at a whole other bank and start siphoning. Any spare cash at all. Her mother should not know about any jobs, and if she can't avoid knowing, only give her part of the paycheck and let her believe that your gf is working less than she actually is. Throw that money in savings too, and don't touch it. She'd actually be well off talking to someone who works with abused spouses in order to develop an escape plan for when she finishes school - they can give her tips on how to get away clean without having to become dependent on other people or institutions any more than she wants to be. This is important - one could say being with you will make things easier, but the worst thing for her will be to jump from one source of dependence to another. She needs to know she can handle her own shit.

This also means that you can't do all this for her. You can let her know her options, but she has to do the account-opening and the scholarship-researching and applying. If she doesn't want that, you can't make her.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The Cat is spot on. If there is any time to cut off crazy parents, it is now. Naturally, it's her choice, with the emotional and financial consequences that come with it. I mean, parents are taking her paychecks? Christ.

It isn't too hard to pay for one's own education. She already has a job -- that's a start! Talk to the financial aid people at your school ASAP, and ask them for any options she may have -- grants, federal loans, etc. And if worse comes to worse, you can always get alternative student loans from a bank. School loans can be some of the easiest to pay off in the grand scope of things.

Herschel on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, you need to get her away from these people. You two should also not be afraid of student loans. If she's gone this far with no debt, a year or two of student loans is going to be nothing, AND it completely gets rid of the parents.

You should support her, but you're not to do it for her. Like Cat said, you should tell her that student loans are no big deal, and that her paychecks are HERS. Not her mom's. Tell her that her parent's aren't going to fund her for the rest of her life, and that if they decide to cut off funding for school, it's no big deal and that you'll be able to find a way to pay for school with no problem.

Have her open her own checking account, have her move towards getting you on her lease. You should not talk to her parents, as they're already against you. You need to talk to her and not be demanding, but supportive. You need to softly point out how demanding your paychecks is bad, and that they're essentially blackmailing her by threatening to pull funding. Tell her that her parents are supposed to love her and support her decisions, not simply be a "bank" that demands whatever they want.

It's going to be work, but getting her off of her parent's funding is the first step. You know, if it was me, I would simply call my parent's up and say "hi mom & dad, yeah, listen, I don't want you to pay for school anymore. No, I don't want you guys to shoulder the burden and I want to be responsible for my own life."

If she makes the initiative to cut off their funding, rather than allowing them to threaten, the ball is in her court and she has the advantage. That's a significant advantage when dealing with abusive people like this.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    Keeping the paychecks??

Holy abuse alert, batman.

Okay, She desperately needs to open a separate savings account at a whole other bank and start siphoning. Any spare cash at all. Her mother should not know about any jobs, and if she can't avoid knowing, only give her part of the paycheck and let her believe that your gf is working less than she actually is. Throw that money in savings too, and don't touch it. She'd actually be well off talking to someone who works with abused spouses in order to develop an escape plan for when she finishes school - they can give her tips on how to get away clean without having to become dependent on other people or institutions any more than she wants to be. This is important - one could say being with you will make things easier, but the worst thing for her will be to jump from one source of dependence to another. She needs to know she can handle her own shit.
    To start, generally, I don't abide concocting a web of lies. However, the Cat is right on this one.

When she gets another job, she needs to tell her parents that they'll only pay her through direct deposit at a local bank. So, she gets the deposit, writes a check to her parents for "the amount which she was paid," and can claim to have worked a lot less than she did.

She needs to decide how much she's willing to put up with from these psychos. Obviously, they're crazy, but getting college paid for is no small thing. How much longer does she have to go before she's done?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    If she wants to take their money she is obligated to live with their (batshit crazy) wishes to a certain degree. The direct deposit trick above is about as far as I think you can really push it and retain a modicum of honesty.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    She has about two full terms of class left, so its not that bad. She had a talk with her parents last night. They want her to come over to discuss finances. She told them the only way she would go all the way out to their house is if i came with, and they are not down with that. She tried to get them to discuss whatever they wanted to discuss over the phone and they said the phone is no such place to discuss these things.

Long story short, she told them shes not afraid to quit school and support herself, or pull out loans. And finish school that way. Her mom pretended not to listen to anything she had to say and kept asking for her to come to visit them, like a broken record. So she hung up on them.

This morning her mom sent a ton of apology "I love youuuu" "we'll be better parents. i swear" emails O_o. This is common after she has a disagreeement with them. Although we both dont trust them very much. Nor does my girlfriend wish to ever get on better terms with her parents (especially with her mom, they never bonded because her mom worked evenings while she was growing up, so they rarely saw each other), she's wishing to just be rid of them, which it looks like shes on her way towards now.

polarblue on
    lost.jpg
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ok, this isn't directly related to your main question. You say your rent is going up from 650 to 760. I know here you can contest an increase in rent if it's above a certain %. Surely there has to be some kind of similar law in the US?

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Ok, this isn't directly related to your main question. You say your rent is going up from 650 to 760. I know here you can contest an increase in rent if it's above a certain %. Surely there has to be some kind of similar law in the US?

HAHAHAHAHAH.....

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

OK to be serious. These laws are very local in the US. Some places have them and others don't. You'd need to check the state and municipal codes.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The Cat is right on. She should be useing whatever money she earns on college, or putting it into savings. Savings is a great thing to have, and reserve money has helped me in many ways.

Definetly get an account set up at a different bank. Avoid Key bank, as they are evil. BECU would be my recommendation, or WaMu.

Don't trust her parents, but I think you have that down.

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    taunibeartaunibear Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    =^..^=

taunibear on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2019
    taunibear wrote: »
    Hey! This is tybay's girlfriend, taunibear.

That's exactly what they want you to feel if their objective is for you to stay trapped in their house for the rest of your life. When you use your generosity to strong-arm people into doing what you say, it ceases to be generosity and becomes blackmail.

ceres on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    taunibear wrote: »
    Hey! This is tybay's girlfriend, taunibear.
    Tell your parents your job requires you to maintain an account at a bank other than Wells Fargo. Tell your boss that under no circumstances is anyone at your office to tell your mom what their payroll policies are.

VC's totally right about them trying to manipulate you. Manipulate them right back into covering your last two terms of college. If you, can just move in together, then lie about who your roommate is.

ceres on
  • Options
    taunibeartaunibear Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    =^..^=

taunibear on
This discussion has been closed.