Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Pax West 2017 Dates

bbcisdabombbbcisdabomb Registered User new member
Have dates been announced anywhere for West 2017? I can't find them anywhere, is there a secret deepweb section or something?

Posts

  • Croatian SensationCroatian Sensation Registered User regular
    Not officially yet sadly, I did see that wizards of the coast post it would be September 1st to the 4th. http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3791-WotC-s-2017-Convention-Schdule-Includes-New-Hascon-No-Gen-Con

    CKing
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Also unofficial, but since moving to the WSCC, PAX has been on Labor Day weekend except every 4th year. Last time that happened was 2015. So this should be a Labor Day weekend year (9/1-9/4). This agrees with the Wizard's leak.

    Croatian SensationCKing
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Also unofficial, but since moving to the WSCC, PAX has been on Labor Day weekend except every 4th year. Last time that happened was 2015. So this should be a Labor Day weekend year (9/1-9/4). This agrees with the Wizard's leak.

    Remember though that the two times Prime was not on Labor day weekend was because of two different companies. Its not like one company has the convention center reserved every so many years indefinitely. So it is possible the trend could continue, but it is not a for sure thing.

    Also, a great way to confirm the dates is to just look on WSCC event schedule. The days before & after labor day are completely open (which Pax needs for set up and tear down). We know that Pax has told the convention centers to keep their event off the schedule to prevent a run on hotels and such by scalpers. There is no way that block of time would be open for any other reason except that Pax is booked for that time and it is just not listed on the schedule.

  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited February 28
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Also unofficial, but since moving to the WSCC, PAX has been on Labor Day weekend except every 4th year. Last time that happened was 2015. So this should be a Labor Day weekend year (9/1-9/4). This agrees with the Wizard's leak.

    Remember though that the two times Prime was not on Labor day weekend was because of two different companies. Its not like one company has the convention center reserved every so many years indefinitely. So it is possible the trend could continue, but it is not a for sure thing.

    Also, a great way to confirm the dates is to just look on WSCC event schedule. The days before & after labor day are completely open (which Pax needs for set up and tear down). We know that Pax has told the convention centers to keep their event off the schedule to prevent a run on hotels and such by scalpers. There is no way that block of time would be open for any other reason except that Pax is booked for that time and it is just not listed on the schedule.

    I'd heard the opposite. That the preempting event was a Dental convention that was booked a looong time into the future. I'd never heard it was two separate events. I have no evidence either way, it's just something I heard. Looking at WIkipedia, it looks like Prime was not on Labor day 3 times. 2007 was in the WSCC and was 8/24-8/27. Labor Day that year was 9/3.

    Also, the WSCC schedule this year has nothing listed for either Labor Day weekend, or the weekend before. August 22nd to September 7th are open. So we just know it's not the weekend after Labor Day. <don tinfoil hat> Unless PAX has started getting the WSCC to list fake events to throw people off. <yes, I'm just joking about that> Not that I can think of a reason they would move PAX off of Labor Day without a conflict.

    YoungFrey on
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    I remember doing the research and looking into who had those weekends booked when pax couldn't have labor day the last two times and I am fairly sure it was two separate companies. I could obviously be remembering wrong so I will have to see if I can dig that info back up somewhere.

    I see that the "10th World Congress on Alternatives and Animal Life in the Life Sciences" is scheduled for Aug 21st - 24th, which Pax would need for set up time, so it has to be Labor Day weekend (unless your tinfoil hat theory is correct).

    YoungFrey
  • wolfemancswolfemancs Registered User regular
    edited March 1
    Just to keep with the nothing official has been announced theme, it's actually even more than that. It has been officially unannounced as of 2/27 (yesterday)

    In response to:
    Emily‏ @septiishu_fan Feb 26

    @Official_PAX @brifodera and do you have any official dates for West?


    They responded:
    PAX‏Verified account @Official_PAX

    @septiishu_fan @brifodera Nothing has been announced for West yet, sorry!

    Source:

    zerzhul on
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    @SkeleVader I'll take your "I actually read it but am now unsure" over my "I heard it from someone somewhere once". It just seems coincidental that PAX has only been moved every 4 years, and not on some less even spacing. Not impossible, but just less probable. And I did totally misread the WSCC schedule. I didn't realize they only put the start date on the schedule and you need to read the blurb to get the full dates.

  • MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular
    Just a little more official, the D&D schedule is on the wizards site at http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/where-you-can-find-dd-team-2017

  • japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    Its gotta be Sept 1-4 -- if you goto the hotels around the convention center, they're all blocked out for Labor day weekend and available for the weekend before and after.

  • bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    japerry wrote: »
    Its gotta be Sept 1-4 -- if you goto the hotels around the convention center, they're all blocked out for Labor day weekend and available for the weekend before and after.
    I may or may not have already made reservations at the homewood just to be sure... :P

    PAX Prim..err, West 2017 Checklist:[X]Hotel (tentative) [ ]Time Off [ ]Badges [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Name on Forum Badge
    qzHS5dr.png
  • bbcisdabombbbcisdabomb Registered User new member
    I got reservations for labor day just in case as well - thanks for the replies!

  • quikblendquikblend CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 19
    lets hope its soon, im excited for this year though!

    quikblend on
  • SOADerSOADer Registered User new member
    I have never been to PAX, but I have been to E3 a couple of times.
    I hope I can get tickets for PAX West this year.
    Any tips for newcomers?
    How does it compare to E3?

  • godmodegodmode Nooo-ooo-ooo... That ain't dancin', SallyRegistered User regular
    edited March 23
    You have approximately 3.67 seconds to get in the ticket queue before they're sold out.

    (Not now, of course, I mean when they go on sale)

    godmode on
  • The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    SOADer wrote: »
    I have never been to PAX, but I have been to E3 a couple of times.
    I hope I can get tickets for PAX West this year.
    Any tips for newcomers?
    How does it compare to E3?

    Follow the official PAX twitter (@Official_PAX) to know when to enter queue. Be ready at all times.
    To simply compare: E3 is for the industry. PAX is for the fans.


    I am impatient for dates to be added to the paxsite... Purely for the countdown of how many days to go.
    I MUST KNOW THE EXACT DAYS AND HOURS AND MINUTES!

    6OZRvyS.png
    fDu4SoC.png
    QY2lGdi.png
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    SOADer wrote: »
    I have never been to PAX, but I have been to E3 a couple of times.
    I hope I can get tickets for PAX West this year.
    Any tips for newcomers?
    How does it compare to E3?

    Follow the official PAX twitter (@Official_PAX) to know when to enter queue. Be ready at all times.
    To simply compare: E3 is for the industry. PAX is for the fans.
    To expand: follow that Twitter, and have notifications set up so you'll be alerted whenever it tweets. Be ready to be in the online queue within a minute of that happening. Tickets usually go on sale between 10AM & 1PM PST. If you plan on buying with your phone, be sure it's charged or you have a way to plug it in.
    Also, if you need a hotel room, as soon as tickets go on sale start trying to get the hotel room you want. The hotels usually go live shortly after (minutes) and the Sheraton in particular goes very fast.

    E3 in particular might have more in their Expo Hall (I don't know), but PAX has tons of stuff E3 utterly lacks: boardgaming, concerts, panels, a handheld gaming area, tournaments, signings, The Omegathon, etc ...
    E3 is a place for professionals that was so awesome fans started going to it. PAX is a place for fans that was so awesome professionals started doing work at.

Sign In or Register to comment.