As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Switch: It's (sold) Out!

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The issue could be that Metroid is considered a AAA franchise from a production standpoint with nowhere near the install base to justify it.

The solution might be solid 2D game with a small or mid-level budget, but that's also a niche that's been overflowing lately. Though not in the exact same style as Metroid.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Nintendo of Japan just put more stock up on their website, so I've now got an order in. It's been very hard to find any info on restocks here. Customized too.

And... gone. About 20 minutes.

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Eh, the Prime games don't even remotely resemble the usual Western FPS fare. Plenty of world building, lots of exploration, a fair helping of puzzle solving, and a bunch of storytelling are much more the focus than just shooting a bazillion things. Also, no multiplayer, which (sadly) is now the massive focus of virtually all FPS franchises now (even DOOM, which had an incredible campaign that people loved, saw essentially ALL of the extra DLC development go into the multiplayer nobody really cared about).

But the lack of success probably has a lot more to do with the fact that the Prime games were all released on systems which were either unsuccessful themselves (Gamecube) or almost entirely not something which meshed well with FPS gameplay (Wii).

Yeah, MP3 had loads better controls than its two predecessors, but the prior tank-like controls were pretty much ass compared to the flexible, reliable dual analog approach. And even then, the Wiimote controls weren't really any better than standard dual analog gamepad controls and definitely weren't better than KBAM.

It probably doesn't help that making a good Metroid game is pretty hard compared to another round of the usual Mario platforming/party/racing/spinoff games, so while Nintendo's decision to more or less kill of the Metroid franchise is understandable, it's still disappointing.

As fascinating as I found the environments in the Prime games, the action just lacked the speed of movement and aerial hijinks of the mainline series. So part of the fan base didn't make the transition between the 2D and Prime games which doesn't help.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    You certainly lose something in the transition from 2D to 3D.

Other M doesn't count, as both parts were bad.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    All this talk of what Retro is or isn't working on has me thinking of what my dream game from Nintendo would be at this point. After 50 hours of Breath of the Wild so far and loving it I don't want the next Zelda title rushed. However I really hope the design of it bleeds over into other projects. Would love to see a full RPG game using BotW gameplay at its core with character creation, classes, skills, more loot, etc layered on top of it. As an open world game BotW is amazing but I love me some character customization and imagine the replay potential of playing such a game with different available skill sets.

I think Retro would be a good studio for that. Bonus points if they give us an IP mashup RPG drawing elements from Zelda, Golden Sun, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade all into one world.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »
    All this talk of what Retro is or isn't working on has me thinking of what my dream game from Nintendo would be at this point. After 50 hours of Breath of the Wild so far and loving it I don't want the next Zelda title rushed.

On the other hand, Majora's Mask was a rushed sequel to Ocarina of Time. I would love to see what bizarre alternate universe Zelda they could make with the BotW engine, a small world, and a highly constrained concept. Is Hyrule as we know it trapped in a Divine Beast? Are all the shrines connected in a huge underground dungeon that can only be explored at night? Is the entire world a massive tower, with towns founded on cliffs jutting off the side?

I want all that weird stuff.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    eelektrik wrote: »
    All this talk of what Retro is or isn't working on has me thinking of what my dream game from Nintendo would be at this point. After 50 hours of Breath of the Wild so far and loving it I don't want the next Zelda title rushed.

On the other hand, Majora's Mask was a rushed sequel to Ocarina of Time. I would love to see what bizarre alternate universe Zelda they could make with the BotW engine, a small world, and a highly constrained concept. Is Hyrule as we know it trapped in a Divine Beast? Are all the shrines connected in a huge underground dungeon that can only be explored at night? Is the entire world a massive tower, with towns founded on cliffs jutting off the side?

I want all that weird stuff.

See, I didn't actually like Majoras Mask because it felt like a rushed sequel with less content. The idea was good but the execution didn't awe me like it seemed to for a lot of people around here. Plus I really hate time limits on games.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    I'm hoping for some Gamecube, Wii, and/or WiiU VC announcements, "available right now!" style. SM Galaxy 1 and 2, Sunshine, Prime trilogy...

No analog triggers for Cube VC and I'm not sure the sensor on the bottom of the joycon (along with no sensor bar) is up to the task of accurately emulating the Wii pointer.

I always hear "no analog triggers" like it's just straight up impossible to play Cube games without them. So few games utilized them at all. If there was an actual function mapped to the little click at the end, the Switch has 4 extra buttons to play with (ZL, -, L3, R3).

Dirty on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Star Tropics from Retro please.

It could be Nintendo's Uncharted, with aliens and yo-yos.

I'd be good with Next Level taking a stab at it. But Retro says they want to make a Zelda game, and while that may not happen, maybe this would be close enough?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Dirty wrote: »
    I'm hoping for some Gamecube, Wii, and/or WiiU VC announcements, "available right now!" style. SM Galaxy 1 and 2, Sunshine, Prime trilogy...

No analog triggers for Cube VC and I'm not sure the sensor on the bottom of the joycon (along with no sensor bar) is up to the task of accurately emulating the Wii pointer.

I always hear "no analog triggers" like it's just straight up impossible to play Cube games without them. So few games utilized them at all. If there was an actual function mapped to the little click at the end, the Switch has 4 extra buttons to play with (ZL, -, L3, R3).

I used to think this but then I went looking and there were tons of games that took advantage of the analog nature of the buttons, including lots of first party games.

They could do something like treat ZL as a shift key that makes the triggers a half press, but I think Nintendo would see this as something too complicated for the average person to grasp, not just remembering how it works but also figuring out the times you would want to use it. Just because something is possible doesn't mean it's advisable.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I would kill for a Metroid in the BOTW engine.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'd be super happy with a new Star Tropics in part just because I love tropical, colorful games and I think Retro is good with that style from the DKC games. With that said, I really hope it ISN'T another DKC game, I'd like a break where their talents are used for something else for awhile.

For GC games, they could just release Gamecube edition Joycons. I would assume that if you were removing some bells and whistles (no HD rumble, gyros, IR, NFC, etc) that you could get a something released for $40 or $50ish? Maybe do a pack-in deal with a set and a code for Mario Sunshine or something. Then get Sega to re-release Beach Spikers for it.

I actually wouldn't be upset with upsampled versions of a few DS/3DS games to reinforce the handheld nature of the system. The 3DS Mario games could all be shifted easily to the Switch, and it could even be a way to get Federation Forces polished and onto a system with better controls. Back with the SNES they did the Super Mario All-Stars thing - I'd love to see some similar compilations of the DS/3DS Zeldas, Kirbys, or Marios.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I would pay for a ported HD version of Monster Hunter XX.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    E3: don't forget we're getting a Mario/Rabbids RPG. Smash would be relatively easy to sneak out this year; maybe Pokemon (though the platform switch might slow development down).

It's kind of fun that Nintendo is playing things closer to their chest. E3s were starting to get really boring, since long development times, fewer AAA games and the need for each company to feed the hype machine meant we already knew about 75 percent of stuff going in the last couple of years. Surprises make things more exciting!

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Nintendo should note how Zelda is being received and allow Retro to crack open Metroid the same way. Let them break the foundations while keeping the spirit of the game intact. Retro has proven themselves already and should be given a shot.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Nintendo will announce the Year of Tingle at E3 (which will be every year, from now on).

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

I used to think this but then I went looking and there were tons of games that took advantage of the analog nature of the buttons, including lots of first party games.

They could do something like treat ZL as a shift key that makes the triggers a half press, but I think Nintendo would see this as something too complicated for the average person to grasp, not just remembering how it works but also figuring out the times you would want to use it. Just because something is possible doesn't mean it's advisable.

Yea, and people forget that analog trigger doesn't mean just a two stage button. There were a bunch of games that actually took advantage of the pressure sensitivity, and there is no way at all to emulate that with just digital buttons.

That's why I'm still dumfounded that the Pro controller doesn't have analog triggers, especially for $70. Don't need to use it for switch games, but it just seems to limit what they can do in the future.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Nintendo should note how Zelda is being received and allow Retro to crack open Metroid the same way. Let them break the foundations while keeping the spirit of the game intact. Retro has proven themselves already and should be given a shot.

Okay...how should we proceed with this metroid open world game.
    "Lets have the laser "Overheat" every third shot and make you pick up a new one"
    "BRILLIANT!"

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Okay...how should we proceed with this metroid open world game.
    "Lets have the laser "Overheat" every third shot and make you pick up a new one"
    "BRILLIANT!"

I feel like it would end up playing more like Mega Man Legends... which wouldn't really be a bad thing.

• Options
    Eeek - Has Been Heroes isn't reviewing well. I have it preordered and have a $15 Gamestop rewards coupon ready to go for it, but now I'm wondering if that might be a mistake...

• Options
    Eeek - Has Been Heroes isn't reviewing well. I have it preordered and have a $15 Gamestop rewards coupon ready to go for it, but now I'm wondering if that might be a mistake...

Yeah, the consensus seems to be "hard as balls and not in a good way."

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Hum. well i wasnt expecting much for a 20 buck game. it looked kinda simple tower defence.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    I liked what I played at Pax but it felt hard, but I thought maybe it was just a bit of a learning curve so I still prordered. For $20 I think I'd still get my money's worth, but I'm not sure.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I thought Has Been Heroes was interesting when I played it at a Switch preview event, but maybe not interesting enough. It was certainly very busy (lots of stuff going on, lots of things on the screen to keep track of), and a controller is 100% the wrong input device; a mouse or touchscreen would be considerably better.

It felt like the kind of game that would inspire fervent devotion from people for whom it clicks, and elicit a "Meh" from everyone else.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    Hum. well i wasnt expecting much for a 20 buck game. it looked kinda simple tower defence.
    It's definitely not simple (although I'm sure that once you internalize the game systems and get into a groove, you'll be able to cruise along), and it's not really tower defense as I remember it - although I haven't played a tower defense game in years and years, so I'm working off of outdated genre conventions. It does have enemies slowly moving towards your heroes, so that aspect of it is definitely there, but your heroes don't auto-attack, so you need to both initiate their attacks and swap them from lane to lane.

• Options
    I think I'm going to flip my preorder money into an amiibo or something. I sent the ign review video to my son and he agreed it doesn't look fun in the same way as the permadeath games we do enjoy. Instead it looks like dying would just piss you off and make you play through stuff you really don't want to play again.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I think I'm going to flip my preorder money into an amiibo or something. I sent the ign review video to my son and he agreed it doesn't look fun in the same way as the permadeath games we do enjoy. Instead it looks like dying would just piss you off and make you play through stuff you really don't want to play again.

Could always flip it onto the Zelda Expansion Pass if that's your thing.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    There's an alleged leak of the April Nintendo direct on 4chan, highlights are a Paper Mario Thousand Year Door remake on Switch, and Mario Maker on Switch. Take with a massive, massive, truck sized grain of salt.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I couldn't imagine playing Mario Maker without a stylus. Sounds dreadful.

It also seems a bit too soon for another Paper Mario. Color Splash wasn't even six months ago.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    So the Switch screen probably wouldn't work with a cheap plastic Stylus, correct? Could they do a powered stylus and do a bundled thing?

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Also mentioned was a single player story trailer for Splatoon 2 and gameplay of the upcoming BOTW Cave of Trials DLC.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Given how disappointing Color Splash was I'll absolutely take a remake of the best Paper Mario by a country mile.

I'm almost violently not surprised by Mario Maker remake.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Managed to snag a Wolf Link off of Ebay for only a $10 premium and it's actually being delivered ahead of schedule and should be waiting when I get home. It was the one thing my son mentioned that he wanted for his birthday in 2 weeks.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    I don't have a Wii U, and the 3DS version of Mario Maker seemed considerably truncated in terms of features, so I would be very much delighted to get a Switch remake of it.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    That "leak" is so obviously fake, it's not even worth discussing.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    So the Switch screen probably wouldn't work with a cheap plastic Stylus, correct? Could they do a powered stylus and do a bundled thing?

Powered stylus? It should work with any capacitive stylus. Anything that mimics a finger touch, usually thicker than resistive styluses, and not just plastic.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Didn't one of the rumors a while back suggest Mario Maker might not be in the remake running since they couldn't get it working with the Wii U content?

Wonder if they managed to overcome that hurdle, or if they decided not to care about Wii U stuff. I'm not going into this expecting Wii U compatibility though.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'd be down for a new IP from Retro.

Raven
    Blade.
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Yeah, the consensus seems to be "hard as balls and not in a good way."

It felt like juggling and patting your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Maz- wrote: »
    That "leak" is so obviously fake, it's not even worth discussing.

Probably fake? Yes. Not worth discussing? I don't know about that. At the very least it provokes discussion about what games we want to see on the Switch and how those games should be implemented . Today's not exactly a busy news day.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
This discussion has been closed.