As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Life altering decision.

Grandaddy DeliciousGrandaddy Delicious Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm graduating in December from college, or at least I would be...

I'm pretty deep in debt right now, I'm already a year late in graduating from changing my major so many times. My ex-girlfriend and I have stayed in close contact and are still really good friends. She moved out to LA for a film study program that only 7-8 people a year get elected to participate in.

This film study program is for aspiring producers, directors, actors and screenwriters. It's a fantastic system. They give you training from industry professionals and set you up with an internship where you are put in order to gain experience and get a job. For example, my ex wants to be a producer, so she interned as assistant to the producer at a T.V. show for the last few months, and now they have offered her a job, which she is going to take when she graduates in May. It's a pretty prestegious program. From what I understand, Buster (from arrested development) even came and gave a guest lecture in one of her classes earlier this semester. That stuff is normal in this program.

It's basically a monarchy system, if you know someone personally that has gone, and they recommend you, you are pretty much golden to get in. She called me last night and said she wanted to recommend me if I'd take it. The problem is that it is 14,000 bucks to get in, and I would have to stay enrolled to go, meaning I would not be able to graduate until May of NEXT year, making me a full 2 years behind schedule on graduation. 14,000 more in debt would also put me around the 50,000 mark for student loans.

So, being an aspiring screenwriter, they would set me up with an internship in a major studio.

Do I put myself in a crazy amount of debt and spend every dime I have to get out to L.A.? Or do I graduate on time in December and keep debt at a reasonable level?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grandaddy Delicious on

• Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If you have the motivation to do it, do it. Debt in exchange for education and career opportunities is the best debt there is (even better than real estate, because that can get destroyed or taken from you, but education is forever).

If screenwriting is your dream, passing up a major studio intership would be a mistake you'd probably regret.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    FromAlpha2OmegaFromAlpha2Omega Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You have to be realistic. If it's a prestigious school, what is real the likelihood you'll get in on recommendation? I'm a cynic when it comes to these things; people often make overzealous statements when things are going well for them. What happens if you go out there and you can't get in? You're fucked. I don't care how close you are to someone, they'll always lense a situation in to suit their self-interest.

FromAlpha2Omega on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You have to be realistic. If it's a prestigious school, what is real the likelihood you'll get in on recommendation? I'm a cynic when it comes to these things; people often make overzealous statements when things are going well for them. What happens if you go out there and you can't get in? You're fucked. I don't care how close you are to someone, they'll always lense a situation in to suit their self-interest.
    I would guess he'll probably know whether or not he got in before he goes to LA. Because, y'know, you generally find out that sort of thing without having to show up on the doorstep of your college. They have this crazy thing where they send out acceptance letters through the U.S. mail.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Would getting a screenwriting degree from this college get you a job as a screenwriter for sure?

I'm skeptical about most creative degrees that don't have some sort of practical application immediately out of college. For instance, illustration and design is significantly more useful than sculpting, because you can get a job right out of school to pay back any debts you've accrued and be on track for making money doing something you like.

Screenwriting strikes me as the kind of thing that you DO need some shoes in the door in order to even get started, so in that regard it's not stupid to go out to LA and get a bit in the industry. You can potentially network very well and know immediately who can help your writing get produced, or at least hire you on as a re-writer and editor.

But if you could also potentially get that by simply moving out to LA with your girlfriend in January, then I don't know if it's worth it. She could also potentially set you up with people and give you a better chance than 95% of the people out there, without going into debt.

I don't really see what it is about the school, in particular, that would make it so much better from an education standpoint. Which is what, to me, makes the debt harder to swallow.

That being said, you've already got a shitload of debt and are going to be hurting for pretty much the next 10 years anyway. An extra $80 a month for good experiences and a potentially big ol' foot in the door? That might be pretty worth it if you've got talent as a screenwriter.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This business is based on who you know, as they say, as is exampled by how you plan on getting in. And, this program seems like a more direct way of making contact with the business and those who can help find employment for your talents in the future; not to mention the education you'd get in the way the business operates which you'd probably never get to in a classic college education. If nothing else it will give you a track after school is out which will really be useful in getting your career going. A lot of colleges just kind of give you your degree and turn you loose. If this program will give you your degree and then help out with the "what next," it is going to be worth it.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    50,000 in loans is not that big a deal. Especially for what could be an excellent opportunity. You should at the very least make the attempt.

besides, it takes on average 5 years to graduate from college this days... the amount of time you take doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Food?Food? Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I feel like the film business is all about having connections, so getting into a program with other people who will more than likely be successful, you'll be able to make acquaintances and start getting your name known to a few.

My suggestion would be to apply, and then worry about all this if you get in. If you don't, then you don't have much to think about.

Food? on
    gr_smile2.gif
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    50,000 in loans is not that big a deal.

For some people it is.

ege02 on
  • Options
    crakecrake Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think 50k is a huge amount of money, but doable in terms of paying off without going bankrupt.

The question is - are you really that passionate about screenwriting? Do you live and breath it? You've changed your major a number of times by your own admission. Is this a pattern with you, or have you *truely* found your niche? Don't answer that here, just answer that for yourself. And don't lie.

If you have, then go for it. You'll need the passion to succeed at this school, and to get the internship and job afterwards. They may be opening up a lot of doors for you at this school, but it's still up to you to get people to invite you through.

crake on