As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild] Bokoblin Genocide Simulator

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    If on fire or there's lightning pause and check your inventory. Weapons, bows, and shields will have flame/sparking effects on the icons if they are flammable or attract lightning.

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Holy frickin... 12 shrines. 12 I have beaten while venturing through the lands. And on my way back to the first town, yet again, I was lamenting there was no fast way to get there. Well lo and behold there's a shrine there I somehow didn't see before. And it teaches you all kinds of good combat tips that would have been useful 16 hours ago!

Fury Rush, Parry, Dodge and back flip! What madness!

kx3klFE.png
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    lol... after resorting to repeatedly going to goblin camps to cook food, come to find out there is a cooking pot in kakariko village.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    So...any cheap way to restock on regular arrows? I've wasted too many rupees in the shops.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    So...any cheap way to restock on regular arrows? I've wasted too many rupees in the shops.

Let moblins shoot at you and pick them up off the ground. That's the best I've got so far.
    I just went through an area that was an embarrassment of arrows, though, and I'm sitting at around 90.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    With that mount stuff I kind of expect
    that maybe somewhere in this massive world is some crazy eccentric person in the woods who will let you board bears and elk and such.

I don't think so.
    Bears and deer act differently than horses. I never saw the bond increasing pink swirl when I rode either one, and as soon as I dismounted, the critter did his own thing again.
    Makes for a fun time dismounting a bear in the middle of a moblin camp, though.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Best way I've found to restock arrows is to clear the road (killing Lizalfos) from Lanayru tower to Zora's domain - you'll wrap up with around 125 arrows or so.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Best way I've found to restock arrows is to clear the road (killing Lizalfos) from Lanayru tower to Zora's domain - you'll wrap up with around 125 arrows or so.

Yeah, they love to drop bundles of arrows. Very handy.

I got my second set bonus. Half stamina cost for the dash swim. Which... makes it basically lower stamina use than normal swimming over the same distance. On top of you already being really quick because of the gear. This is really nice for the areas it's relevant in, basically.

And DAMN you're fast at night with the stealth set bonus.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    So I found something interesting. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just say that you can swap your heart and stamina upgrades around at a certain point in the game, so don't stress that choice.
    There's a creepy talking statue near a town that will pay you to take one of your heart or stamina upgrades. Then you can pay him more to get either back; you don't have to take back what you gave. You need enough rupies to afford his rate, but the exchange totals out to 20 rupies, so not a bad deal at all.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Hello Zelda Thread. I would just like to note that my favorite weapon for hunting and fishing is:
    BOMBS

Is it safe to sell gems for cash, or are they used for other things?

• MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    They can be used in dyes, I think. But so can, like, apples and mushrooms, so that doesn't seem like a great use for them.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    MegaMek wrote: »
    So I found something interesting. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just say that you can swap your heart and stamina upgrades around at a certain point in the game, so don't stress that choice.
    There's a creepy talking statue near a town that will pay you to take one of your heart or stamina upgrades. Then you can pay him more to get either back; you don't have to take back what you gave. You need enough rupies to afford his rate, but the exchange totals out to 20 rupies, so not a bad deal at all.

That moment was a combination of "WHAT", followed by "oh shit", and then "oh, this is actually useful."
    I'm actually really interested by the statue. Apparently it was sealed in that form by Hylia? The same Hylia who became the first Zelda? Actually, in general, I'm interested by the way that everyone in this game seems to remember Hylia, but haven't mentioned the Triforce goddesses.

Enlong on
  • AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Hello Zelda Thread. I would just like to note that my favorite weapon for hunting and fishing is:
    BOMBS

Is it safe to sell gems for cash, or are they used for other things?

On the uses of gems:
    There's some equipment that you buy and upgrade with gems. It's all helms, and the bonuses on them are all duplicated by armor set items somewhere (which are preferable because they can also come with set bonuses), but they can be handy if you don't have the equivalent set helm yet. Diamonds in particular might be worth hanging onto, as the helm they're used for reduces damage from Guardians without being as difficult to get or silly looking as the set helm with the same bonus. Diamonds can also be used to re-craft a decent spear in the zora town, but that seems like a waste since better weapons aren't exactly tough to come by. The gemstone gear is purchasable at
    a jewelry shop in Gerudo Town which opens up after you do Gerudo Town's part of the main quest and bring the owner some flint.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I just noticed that some of the posters on walls are actually recipes.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Wanted to tell a Trial story:
    So the shrine on the island off of Hateno beach is a very hard combat trial (I believe it's even in the description), and hoo boy they're not kidding. I only have five hearts because I am stubborn and don't want to turn in my orbs until I really feel like I won't advance if I don't, so the guardian was OHKOing me with almost every attack I took. So in desperation I cashed in my daily allotment of amiibo (the only Zelda ones I don't have are Sheik from Smash and the two BotW Links) and got two 40+ attack power two-handers out of the deal. Not great (two handed weapons aren't my strong suit) but I'll take it. I've got four foods that will refill me in the event an attack doesn't kill me. So I re-entered the shrine and faced the guardian. It still took me several more tries but in the end I learned his patterns and brute forced my way through. I burned up all my arrows, and had a single soldier claymore left, nearly broken, when I lay the guardian to rest. My rewards? One each of max level tek axe, sword, and lance and a pile of guardian parts including the shafts I needed to upgrade my bombs. The chest in there had a climber's shirt to go with my climber's bandana, so now my Link looks like a flamboyant pirate whenever I have a long climb.
    I've been hanging onto the Tek weapons because I am NOT wasting a 60 attack power great axe on some damn bokoblins.
    Just goes to reiterate that the game is very good at letting you do whatever the fuck you want, with enough persistence.

Those pillars had a use. Hopefully you used them. I didn't complete the trial, because I could see my weapons weren't doing much damage and just decided to hold off, but yea there's a clear way they want you to do that one.

Wait, what was the name of that shrine?
    I did a combat shrine near since beach, but I didn't get the climbing shirt

Also, has anyone heard anything about of there's a free in game equivalent to the wolf link amiibo?

steam_sig.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

That moment was a combination of "WHAT", followed by "oh shit", and then "oh, this is actually useful."
    I'm actually really interested by the statue. Apparently it was sealed in that form by Hylia? The same Hylia who became the first Zelda? Actually, in general, I'm interested by the way that everyone in this game seems to remember Hylia, but haven't mentioned the Triforce goddesses.
    Yeah, it's a little weird. I haven't seen Din, Nayru or Farore mentioned by name so far, but I'm pretty sure the combination of triforce and their symbols is a new thing.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    so

I did the labyrinth

while i was doing it there was a blood moon

but I finished it

*gets undressed, goes to bed at 630AM*

the reward was worth it

Anyone find a reliable way to get wood bundles? You need a lot for a side quest but damn it I like setting up camp fires. This game is just the most immersive Zelda ever.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    There's a creepy talking statue near a town that will pay you to take one of your heart or stamina upgrades. Then you can pay him more to get either back; you don't have to take back what you gave. You need enough rupees to afford his rate, but the exchange totals out to 20 rupees, so not a bad deal at all.
    About that (my experience):
    I really wasn't sure that I'd get my Spirit Orb back when that thing did that! :bigfrown:
    My jaw legit hit the floor, thinking that the game might be trolling me that hard, and actually taking away a hard-won orb when I was low on rupees!

Especially since it's a creepy looking kid that leads you to the statue. But at least that mechanic makes sense now, though I rarely ever use re-spec type features in games, I tend to just stick with my choices.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Anyone find a reliable way to get wood bundles? You need a lot for a side quest but damn it I like setting up camp fires. This game is just the most immersive Zelda ever.

Bomb trees. The ones on the Great Plateau suit me just fine.

One bomb to fell the tree, one bomb to explode the fallen log into a wood bundle. Sometimes you even get two bundles.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I just
    blast-cut an entire forest down with bombs, like a pro Brazilian illegal logger.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    1429264884045.jpg

So I fought my first Lynel.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    1429264884045.jpg

Are those the
    centaur guys?

I didn't event attempt a second try after I got killed by one.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Maz- wrote: »
    1429264884045.jpg

Are those the
    centaur guys?

I didn't event attempt a second try after I got killed by one.

Yyyyup. Okay lemme break it down in spoilers for folks curious:
    These motherfuckers are gigantic, can cleave 5-6 hearts a swipe. (I hear there are more deadly variants.) They run faster than your fastest horse, they have near superhuman hearing. They use an elemental bow with deadly accuracy and oh yeah they breath fire.

Edit: I ended up brute forcing it but it took all my healing over heart food and all the fairies I happened to have in my pocket. I will say the gear it drops is fucking sweet so it's worth the risk of you can manage to not suck like I so obviously did.

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Everyone is talking about the climbing bandana but I don't have it. I get the feeling I may have missed the thing in one of the shrines I didn't get the chest of.

Steam ID: Right here.
    edited March 2017
    Ha ha bombs of course! I've been lugging around the woodcutter's axe for nothing, and didn't even think about breaking down trees further once you fell one.
    Yyyyup. Okay lemme break it down in spoilers for folks curious:
    These motherfuckers are gigantic, can cleave 5-6 hearts a swipe. (I hear there are more deadly variants.) They run faster than your fastest horse, they have near superhuman hearing. They use an elemental bow with deadly accuracy and oh yeah they breath fire.

Edit: I ended up brute forcing it but it took all my healing over heart food and all the fairies I happened to have in my pocket. I will say the gear it drops is fucking sweet so it's worth the risk of you can manage to not suck like I so obviously did.

Ran into that recently, they have
    a stupid crazy far line of sight. I was stalking one to what I thought was a generous far enough distance to prevent aggroing. Then it happens to turn around and spots me with it's question mark reaction and I shit my pants and hide behind a tree. Like it's literally if you can see him unobstructed, he can sure goddman see you too. And the Lynel just stood there staring me down after I cowered behind a tree for a good long time before turning around to roam again.

BronzeKoopa on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Everyone is talking about the climbing bandana but I don't have it. I get the feeling I may have missed the thing in one of the shrines I didn't get the chest of.

Honestly it doesn't seem to make that big a difference. Maybe when you have 3 pieces of +climbing speed gear? But climbing in this game is just...slow.

For people who are brute forcing content they're not "strong enough" to reasonably do yet and getting really strong weapons as a result: what are you actually doing with those weapons? It feels like they'd be overkill for anything you're at an appropriate power level to be doing, and given durability I worry it'd be a waste to use them and to not use them is just wasting inventory space. Seems like it'd be great for speed runs though?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Not trying to stay in thread long because of spoilers.
    Just got to the Zora area and I'm in the middle of doing the boss there. Sidon is bae. I also dyed all my clothes and look like a short pirate knight. Oh, and wizard wands... holy shit.

Very much in love with this game.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    I save my really crazy stuff (stuff that says it's a "maximum strength" version or whatever) for really tough critters. Like the one @BronzeKoopa discusses above.
    I had an extended trek toward a major quest objective last night and even though I had an inventory full of really tough weapons, I ended up burning through a bow or two and my general purpose weapon was easily replaced with same or similar strength and durability by the Lizalfos I was fighting.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Just got to the Zora area and I'm in the middle of doing the boss there. Sidon is bae. I also dyed all my clothes and look like a short pirate knight. Oh, and wizard wands... holy shit.

I'm worried about spoilers. Here are a bunch of friggin' spoilers.

Edit: Spoilered since you edited.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    New enemy spoilers,
    I gathered up courage (and saved) and faced the Lynel. Took almost all my cooked food and gear but I killed it. Fighting it was more thrilling than any boss fight in any previous 3D Zelda game. Like this enemy type could legit stand in and surpass fighting Ganon as the final boss in OoT.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

I'm worried about spoilers. Here are a bunch of friggin' spoilers.

Ya, you right. I fix.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    New enemy spoilers,
    I gathered up courage (and saved) and faced the Lynel. Took almost all my cooked food and gear but I killed it. Fighting it was more thrilling than any boss fight in any previous 3D Zelda game. Like this enemy type could legit stand in and surpass fighting Ganon as the final boss in OoT.

When I first saw that thing
    it was while trying to find the spot on one of the images from the Sheila Slate. It was just there guarding the path, walking back and forth. I didn't have the Hero's Tunic yet, so I didn't know how much health it really had, but I ate some food to toughen me up and went at it... immediately was frozen and just didn't stand a chance. I spent the next 90 minutes reloading and trying to stealth past him, in the rain... he kept seeing me and would just stare me down and eventually come after me, even if I hid. No matter how slow I went, he always saw me... always in the rain, which is supposed to mask you even more. I eventually saved a game on the other side of the path from him and booked it up the cliff side nearby to reach my destination - his stares following me all the while. I kept thinking he'd charge me, but he gave up, thankfully. Even now that I have some amazing weaponry from doing the two tough combat shrines that are very close to each other I wouldn't even chance it... I fear him more than the guardians.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Seriously how do you beat guardians if can't
    get the parry timing down?
    The ones in the combat trials?
    I've been letting them charge at me when I'm behind a pillar so that they knock themselves senseless for a bit so I can wail on them.
    Having done a few of them now, I've experimented quite a bit. Shock and ice arrows are very effective at interrupting their laser-times and letting you get in for a quick couple of strikes. Also when they go swirly laser, notice the air around you rises. You can take a little hang glider breather waiting for them to be finished spinning. As for their "final form" laser, you can wail away at them while they charge, and start moving away as the blue gas cloud shrinks around them (their charge indicator for all intents and purposes), then sprint in a wide arc as the red laser vanishes. If you don't want to parry their shots with your shield, that is.
    Yea they follow the same pattern every time. My method is wait behind pillar until they get into melee range. Then you can just perfect dodge their very easy to read attacks and flurry them. Stand behind pillar when they do charge to get them stunned. Repeat til circle laser then glider in. Then just go HAM when they charge the final laser.

• Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Any recommendations on armor sets to buy? I've hit the first two villages and have about a thousand rupees, figure it's a decent idea to buy something, but I'm not sure what the set bonuses are, so I haven't pulled the trigger on anything.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Set bonuses don't show up until (real spoiler, so up to you to click it)
    you find a great fairy and upgrade your armor pieces two levels

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Any recommendations on armor sets to buy? I've hit the first two villages and have about a thousand rupees, figure it's a decent idea to buy something, but I'm not sure what the set bonuses are, so I haven't pulled the trigger on anything.
    The Stealth One gives one less defense than the cheaper armor set but with pretty good stealth bonus (though you can't afford the full set, not that it matters since you wont be able to get the set bonus yet). There's a metal set in the next village you should encounter if you're following the main quest, but you'll want to avoid that during lightning storms.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    Two questions for the group:
    Question 1: Is there anything in this game that is 100% safe to sell (like has no use other then vendor trash). With that asked, i do know about cooking 5 apples and selling that for a nice 50 rups

Question 2 I will spoil in case people have not gotten to the area yet:
    Has anyone bought the house yet? Is it worth it? I'm getting close to the cost and i'm wondering if i should buy the stealth armor instead.

"Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Seriously how do you beat guardians if can't
    get the parry timing down?
    The ones in the combat trials?
    I've been letting them charge at me when I'm behind a pillar so that they knock themselves senseless for a bit so I can wail on them.
    Having done a few of them now, I've experimented quite a bit. Shock and ice arrows are very effective at interrupting their laser-times and letting you get in for a quick couple of strikes. Also when they go swirly laser, notice the air around you rises. You can take a little hang glider breather waiting for them to be finished spinning. As for their "final form" laser, you can wail away at them while they charge, and start moving away as the blue gas cloud shrinks around them (their charge indicator for all intents and purposes), then sprint in a wide arc as the red laser vanishes. If you don't want to parry their shots with your shield, that is.
    Yea they follow the same pattern every time. My method is wait behind pillar until they get into melee range. Then you can just perfect dodge their very easy to read attacks and flurry them. Stand behind pillar when they do charge to get them stunned. Repeat til circle laser then glider in. Then just go HAM when they charge the final laser.
    I love the damn things. They're tough and really reward you for figuring out their behavior. Reminds me of Monster Hunter almost.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm sure someone else has made this point before, but:

In the relatively early days of 3D gaming, especially in MMOs, I would constantly try to walk up mountains and hillsides used to wall off areas to see if I could find a way to cheat my way over it and find something cool or unfinished. It didn't work very often, but when it did it was magical.

Breath of the Wild gives me the same feeling, only it works all the time.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293