Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild] Bokoblin Genocide Simulator

1596062646567

Posts

  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    While that was a really fun read, I think most people aren't having issues with actually having enough weapons, but with needing to replace them.

    It's not that you can't get more, it's that you lose them in the first place.

    Xaquin
  • Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    edited March 21
    Variable wrote: »
    I don't understand how any extra mechanic can make it uninteresting? that just doesn't follow to me. annoying, tedious, not-worth-the-time/durablity cost... any of those things I can understand feeling. but uninteresting? because there's more stuff to manage?

    It is more tedious and not worth the time/cost. With unbreakable weapons, I may try to see how many things I can kill with a boomerang or by throwing a spear. Instead I am always stabbing until I get a warning and then throwing. I also sneak up a lot on sleeping enemies when normally I would want more of a challenge. I find that to be uninteresting.

    - Broke 13 weapons including my starting one. I feel like this number is a bit inflated since many of the broken weapons were terrible ones that didn't deal much damage and are known for having low durability...if I'd fought with my better weapons, fewer would have broken.

    being extra-wasteful, and I still came out that far ahead.

    So hack and slash and using whatever weapons you found allowed you to kill 3 enemies per weapon lost due to breakage.

    The point that a lot of us are making isn't that there aren't enough weapons. It just isn't fun to have them break and switch them out all the time. In shooting games, most of the time the gun gets reloaded automatically. In this game you have to go through and choose another weapon. I wish I could set mine to just grab the next thing. I don't care if it is a torch or whatever. I usually try to find something on the ground if my weapon breaks, but that doesn't always work out against bigger enemies.

    I guess we are all spoiled by movies and other games. Swords don't usually break unless the hero is fighting the last super powered guy or gal.

    Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 21
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    While that was a really fun read, I think most people aren't having issues with actually having enough weapons, but with needing to replace them.

    It's not that you can't get more, it's that you lose them in the first place.

    Sure, and that's a matter of personal preference for how the game is designed that people may agree or disagree with. I'm talking specifically about whether on average you will only replace exactly what you break in a 1:1 fashion, or if it's a really slow burn to make any headway on that. It doesn't seem to be.

    I've been reliant on certain methods of dealing damage and wanted to see what would happen with the "crutches" off so to speak. What it's like if you insist that you don't want to be an archer, or don't want to use bombs, if you just want to hit everything you see in melee in the most direct way. Ultimately it doesn't seem like a particularly difficult play style, or one that they didn't cater their design to.
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    So hack and slash and using whatever weapons you found allowed you to kill 3 enemies per weapon lost due to breakage.

    Each Lizal Bow could've killed 6-12 enemies, depending on headshots. And if I'd liberally used the Tri-Boomerang I picked up early on, I could've killed 10-20 enemies with that alone.
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    I guess we are all spoiled by movies and other games. Swords don't usually break unless the hero is fighting the last super powered guy or gal.

    It's an abstraction. Days don't usually pass in less than half an hour, either...and most games aren't filled with found weapons constructed by monsters, or relics that have been laying in a rainy field for a hundred years.

    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Surfpossum
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    I don't understand how any extra mechanic can make it uninteresting? that just doesn't follow to me. annoying, tedious, not-worth-the-time/durablity cost... any of those things I can understand feeling. but uninteresting? because there's more stuff to manage?

    It is more tedious and not worth the time/cost. With unbreakable weapons, I may try to see how many things I can kill with a boomerang or by throwing a spear. Instead I am always stabbing until I get a warning and then throwing. I also sneak up a lot on sleeping enemies when normally I would want more of a challenge. I find that to be uninteresting.
    Man, I dunno when the last time combat in a Zelda game felt challenging outside of boss fights; maybe the Darknuts in WW? I pretty much skipped SS so I dunno about that, plus my memory is bad.

    But I think this is by far the most challenging combat in any Zelda game I've played, especially in the early game where I couldn't just block forever and whittle away at bigger enemies.

    I guess if by challenge you mean, like, specifically limiting yourself to something not very good for combat, in which case yeah I guess the durability would be a problem if you want to beat everything to death with a Korok leaf.

  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    if you want to beat everything to death with a Korok leaf.

    New speedrun category, adam and eve. You can only use Korok leaves and apples.

    3ds FC: 0645 - 7166 - 9801
    SurfpossumDr. Phibbs McAtheySpoitCantidoAbsoluteZeroPolaritieMolybdenumZilla360KoopahTroopahXaquin
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Note that you don't have to throw boomerangs! Most of the time I just use mine as an oversized knife.

    Handsome CostanzaMegaMekAbsoluteZeroOneAngryPossumZilla360KoopahTroopahAndy JoeXerinkXaquin
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza RIP Iwata-san..... ...and thanks for the Switch, you magnificent bastard.Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Note that you don't have to throw boomerangs! Most of the time I just use mine as an oversized knife.

    "'Ats naught ah knife! This uis uah knuife!"

    "That's a boomerang."

    *guts person and walks away*

    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Zilla360
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    One of the absolute best things to do in Wind Waker was to throw your boomerang directly behind you, wait for it to get as far away as possible, and then open up the sail to flee from it at top speed and watch it try to catch up like a sad puppy.

    What if you do that in this game? What if you throw a boomerang behind you and take off on the horse? What if you throw it and then parachute off a cliff?

    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Handsome CostanzaPolaritieZilla360
  • Mr KhanMr Khan Piece of cake. HyruleRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    Yeah, the durability doesn't bother me overmuch, it feels more like an ammo system.

    I just wish you could save more weapons with special effects, for a rainy day. I'd like to be able to keep some elemental weapons in reserve, but slots are pretty scarce unless you're good at sussing out Koroks, which I'm rather not. I like to keep tools on hand for multiple kinds of fights, but the starting slots felt really claustrophobic - things like, keeping a shock weapon on hand can be a lifesaver when you're being mobbed (and also can save you wasting durability on your weapons, since a single poke with a shock spear will make most enemies drop their weapon, which you can then immediately pick up and beat them to death with). But yeah, overall I don't have a huge problem with the system. Just wish you got more slots to flex at the beginning.

    I saved one of each rod for like the entire game, probably 70-100 hours, and finally in the last hours I dropped them because I realized I never used that "utility." For fire I just used fire arrows and still ended up with like 170 of them.

    Felt good to give it up and fill those slots with more ancient weapons. :)

    Arrows cost money, though. Bombing a Wizzrobe and taking their shit is free.

    I'm told enemies can theoretically drop elemental arrows, but it doesn't seem to happen very much.

    That said, I prefer elemental weapons to elemental rods. I've been very carefully using a thunder spear for half the game now, because I just poke once and take the enemy's weapon. Rods are less reliable for that kind of stuff.

    For Fire and bomb arrows, find a group of enemies that use those enemies and fight them in the rain, picking up arrows like normal.

    Spoiler contains the Tales of the Northern Journey.
    Large mammals get strange up north. Straight-up ice rhino.

    17310167_1429774760430634_5603596796488732696_o.jpg?oh=9a4ebd0c58e25bce68c6ff57c3b4b3be&oe=595B463A

    Highland Tower can go fuck itself. I cheesed it across the water and then brute-forced my way up the tower. No way was i gonna fight all of those Lightning Wizzrobe.

    Zeroing in on the Rito region, and i'll finally have all the towers active, more than two weeks in (at 2-6 hours a day, except last Friday which i skipped).

    Also killed my first Guardian today with the Master Sword. Still basically need to get the drop on them to knock out a few legs to disorient them before you start smacking the head.

    Spoit
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    One of the absolute best things to do in Wind Waker was to throw your boomerang directly behind you, wait for it to get as far away as possible, and then open up the sail to flee from it at top speed and watch it try to catch up like a sad puppy.

    What if you do that in this game? What if you throw a boomerang behind you and take off on the horse? What if you throw it and then parachute off a cliff?

    It lands somewhere past where you threw it from. Boomerangs have momentum and it does run out.

    steam_sig.png
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    VyolynceZilla360
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Note that you don't have to throw boomerangs! Most of the time I just use mine as an oversized knife.

    "'Ats naught ah knife! This uis uah knuife!"

    "That's a boomerang."

    *guts person and walks away*

    You joke, but the enemy does like to eat, and will eat food items it finds laying around.

    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited March 21
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Mass Effect is tomorrow.

    I haven't even cleared 1 dungeon in this game. I think I'm just done. I've tried, and I can't do it. When I'm at home, and I have gaming free time, I should have been playing Zelda. But weapon durability makes me hate this game.

    It's a damn shame because it's a beautiful game world. But that one feature, all by itself, makes me never want to log in and play.

    This will be the first main-line Zelda game I have not finished.

    Maybe if they patch out durability I'll try it again in the future. But for me personally, this game is unplayable. It is not fun to have my weapon breaking against every enemy I fight. It's seriously like a 1 to 1 ratio of weapon to enemy breaking. It's absolutely ludicrous. And not fun. And a game-ruining experience.

    So am hanging up my green tights and I'll just play Mass Effect.

    Two (or three) things:

    Don't worry about weapon durability so much. As you play not only do you find more durable weapons but you become a better damage dealer. You also discover that it's not worth saving anything unless you have a particular need for it and you should just beat the crap out of everything with whatever you have (assuming what you have is the right tool for the job). Additionally it's worth remembering that you have other tools besides brute force weapon usage, and you eventually get weapons that can
    either be rebuilt, and they themselves last a heck of a long time and are good damage dealers, and you even get
    a weapon which while it can break it reforms after a few minutes.

    Edit: Crap, this was pages ago. That's what I get for not hitting refresh!

    Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

  • AegeriAegeri Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Zelda Breath of the Wild is the definition of a flawed masterpiece. Some control issues and other design annoyances, definitely don't get in the way of an amazingly crafted open world game. I can't help but compare it to Ubisoft, who are hopefully playing this game themselves and taking furious notes on everything it does right. There are no obnoxious barriers to progress - only what the world would logically have (sheer cliffs, extreme conditions like frozen water or similar).

    The fact you can go where you like and just adventure, doing side quests, focusing on the main story and whatever else is really amazing. It even manages to incorporate the satisfaction of a game like Dark Souls, where you'll encounter absurdly powerful enemies who you cannot initially defeat - you have to avoid them. Then after you've gained new equipment, skills and knowledge these once insurmountable obstacles are now completely beatable.

    Likewise where other games spend 10 hours giving you tutorials for every mechanic, Zelda only gives you basics then leaves you do figure it out. The little leaf guys who pop out when you do certain things are a great example. Nowhere does the game bother giving you a tutorial about this - you'll discover it purely by accident. There are a wide variety of puzzles to find them, but no prompts or massive arrows saying "There is a leaf guy here!"

    The joy in this game is discovery and finding out all these neat little interactions for yourself. Zelda assumes you've played one of these kind of games before, so lets you just fiddle with the games world and mechanics as you see fit. This goes to things like combat, where tough opponents can often be beaten in surprising ways. Try engaging a tough enemy that uses metal weapons during a thunderstorm for example.

    While I am still not 100% sure about the switch as a console, it's advantage in being so portable and the form/feel of it is great. The console reminds me very much of a larger and better done Vita, which is great for me because I loved the vita a lot. I have not actually connected or used the switch on a TV at all so far, with no real intent on doing so any time soon.

    I wouldn't rush out and buy a switch right now, but I hardly regret having one right now as Zelda is more than worth it.

    In actual "Can people tell me what's up" part, how the fuck do you get cores out of guardians? I have killed 35 of the large octopus/walking guardians and not seen a single core. Am I inherently doing something wrong?

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    OneAngryPossumMolybdenumZilla360
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Mass Effect is tomorrow.

    I haven't even cleared 1 dungeon in this game. I think I'm just done. I've tried, and I can't do it. When I'm at home, and I have gaming free time, I should have been playing Zelda. But weapon durability makes me hate this game.

    It's a damn shame because it's a beautiful game world. But that one feature, all by itself, makes me never want to log in and play.

    This will be the first main-line Zelda game I have not finished.

    Maybe if they patch out durability I'll try it again in the future. But for me personally, this game is unplayable. It is not fun to have my weapon breaking against every enemy I fight. It's seriously like a 1 to 1 ratio of weapon to enemy breaking. It's absolutely ludicrous. And not fun. And a game-ruining experience.

    So am hanging up my green tights and I'll just play Mass Effect.

    Two (or three) things:

    Don't worry about weapon durability so much. As you play not only do you find more durable weapons but you become a better damage dealer. You also discover that it's not worth saving anything unless you have a particular need for it and you should just beat the crap out of everything with whatever you have (assuming what you have is the right tool for the job). Additionally it's worth remembering that you have other tools besides brute force weapon usage, and you eventually get weapons that can
    either be rebuilt, and they themselves last a heck of a long time and are good damage dealers, and you even get
    a weapon which while it can break it reforms after a few minutes.

    Edit: Crap, this was pages ago. That's what I get for not hitting refresh!

    It's okay, much like the fight of link vs ganon, weapon degradation arguments are cyclical

    steam_sig.png
    SurfpossumDr. Phibbs McAtheyAndy JoeXaquintimhodge
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I saved a screenshot of the hint for the eighth gerudo heroine quest but I deleted it; wish I had kept it, as it was a bit too clever and I couldn't find the damn thing for ages.

    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza RIP Iwata-san..... ...and thanks for the Switch, you magnificent bastard.Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Zelda Breath of the Wild is the definition of a flawed masterpiece. Some control issues and other design annoyances, definitely don't get in the way of an amazingly crafted open world game. I can't help but compare it to Ubisoft, who are hopefully playing this game themselves and taking furious notes on everything it does right. There are no obnoxious barriers to progress - only what the world would logically have (sheer cliffs, extreme conditions like frozen water or similar).

    The fact you can go where you like and just adventure, doing side quests, focusing on the main story and whatever else is really amazing. It even manages to incorporate the satisfaction of a game like Dark Souls, where you'll encounter absurdly powerful enemies who you cannot initially defeat - you have to avoid them. Then after you've gained new equipment, skills and knowledge these once insurmountable obstacles are now completely beatable.

    Likewise where other games spend 10 hours giving you tutorials for every mechanic, Zelda only gives you basics then leaves you do figure it out. The little leaf guys who pop out when you do certain things are a great example. Nowhere does the game bother giving you a tutorial about this - you'll discover it purely by accident. There are a wide variety of puzzles to find them, but no prompts or massive arrows saying "There is a leaf guy here!"

    The joy in this game is discovery and finding out all these neat little interactions for yourself. Zelda assumes you've played one of these kind of games before, so lets you just fiddle with the games world and mechanics as you see fit. This goes to things like combat, where tough opponents can often be beaten in surprising ways. Try engaging a tough enemy that uses metal weapons during a thunderstorm for example.

    While I am still not 100% sure about the switch as a console, it's advantage in being so portable and the form/feel of it is great. The console reminds me very much of a larger and better done Vita, which is great for me because I loved the vita a lot. I have not actually connected or used the switch on a TV at all so far, with no real intent on doing so any time soon.

    I wouldn't rush out and buy a switch right now, but I hardly regret having one right now as Zelda is more than worth it.

    In actual "Can people tell me what's up" part, how the fuck do you get cores out of guardians? I have killed 35 of the large octopus/walking guardians and not seen a single core. Am I inherently doing something wrong?

    Not sure if you know this or not but you can loot all those dead guardians and some of them have cores. It's mostly springs though.

    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Zilla360
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    After fighting lynels for a while, it really started to show off the flaws of the entire weapon system. They have an absolutely ridiculous amount of health. Enough that you will break a weapon and most likely a second and even third as well. And each time you do, you have to freeze the game and cycle through a potentially long list of weapons for a suitable one (ie: the next weapon you're prepared to lose). Which honestly is the aspect I find to be the most annoying. The amount of times I've had to open that menu and go weapon hunting, bringing gameplay and combat flow to a screeching halt, is ridiculous. The inventory upgrading system becomes almost a surreal joke. You upgrade it so you can hold more weapons so you don't have to hunt for them as often, but in return you increase the amount of hunting you have to do in your inventory to find a weapon.

    IIRC beat one with two weapons, one of which had already been heavily used. A Royal Claymore and a Flame Greatsword. They have about the same amount of health as a Guardian.

    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

  • AegeriAegeri Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 21
    I haven't noticed any problems with weapon durability to be honest. In fact, I can't even recall the last time I ran out of weapons whatsoever. Most of my problem with the system is having to go into the menu, drop some random shit I don't want to pick something new up. Durability has its biggest problem for people who probably go straight on the main quest without exploring much. If you miss the tree guy on the way to Kakiriko village (or just the koroks in general) you can end up with a really tight inventory.

    It seems like an important system, because it forces you to make do with suboptimal weapons and scrounging from the environment whenever possible. If it wasn't for this system, there would be entire groups of weapons I would never touch.

    Edit: I have killed multiple Lynels without losing a single weapon. The trick is to whack them in the face when they're breathing fire etc with an arrow, then mount them to deal massive damage. Most huge HP monsters have a trick like this that if pulled off, will do a lot of damage to them and not push your weapon durability to the limit. I also recommend the best possible attack upgrade food you can eat too.

    Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Handsome CostanzaAbsoluteZeroMegaMekBloodySlothZilla360
  • PolaritiePolaritie Oh I didn't see this box. Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Spring of Wisdom unintended ridiculousness spoilers:
    "Congratulations, you have freed Nayra from Ganon's horrible corruption and ended her constant pain."
    *Nayra looks at you happily like a contented Labrador*
    "...now shoot her in the face."
    They needed some way to let you know that it's okay to shoot arrows at the other dragons.
    I spent so long trying to ride on their backs because of them saying the dragons were peaceful.. but hey!
    Madican wrote: »
    I love fighting these Guardians in the overworld. They keep trying their laser and I keep shield parrying it right back at them. Three shots and they're toast while I have a ready supply of gears, shafts, screws, and cores.

    Endgame spoilers, really.
    I find it AWESOME that information about this disseminated, because it is a mechanic you need to use in the final battle and yet they never teach or hint at it...

    Strictly speaking...
    You don't. If it's the last part where he starts spewing lasers everywhere, Urbosa's Fury will drop him too.

    It's VERY satisfying to do.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • AegeriAegeri Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    What Guardian do I have to kill to get cores? Is it just my luck that I've had zero cores from 35 big octopus guardian kills? Do they just not drop cores?

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I'm just gonna have to cheat and look up how I made this full recovery +20 hearts dish. hearty simmered fruit must taste great.

    BNet-Vari#1998 | WiiU-Variable | 3DS-3866-8105-7478 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Wrestling.png?dl=0
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited March 21
    Aegeri wrote: »
    What Guardian do I have to kill to get cores? Is it just my luck that I've had zero cores from 35 big octopus guardian kills? Do they just not drop cores?
    I know I've gotten some from chests, but I think they're also drops? You can check your compendium to see what enemies drop what.
    Variable wrote: »
    I'm just gonna have to cheat and look up how I made this full recovery +20 hearts dish. hearty simmered fruit must taste great.
    Generally,
    a bunch of hearty radishes.

    Surfpossum on
    VariableShadowfire
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    This has probably been mentioned a dozen times, and it doesn't solve all the problems with dropping things to make inventory space, but I highly recommend just chucking whatever you want to get rid of instead of opening up the inventory to do it.

    I'm rarely picking up new bows or shields, so typically I just select the least wanted weapon I have, hold R to chuck it away, grab the new thing and move on. Still an annoyance when it comes to chests, but it's an improvement and feels fun, especially when you just toss things into the abyss.

    Spoit
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Got these back-to-back from amiibo tonight, so that was pretty cool.

    C7airApUwAEcHDs.jpg

    C7aivyxVoAAoC5N.jpg

    And I ran into this...rather irritating situation last week.

    C7aja7RUwAAJ5oL.jpg

    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    PolaritieAbsoluteZeroRoad BlockSpoitagoajCapt HowdyDirk2112Zilla360KoopahTroopahShadowfireWorsel96cloudeagleXerinkXaquin
  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    What Guardian do I have to kill to get cores? Is it just my luck that I've had zero cores from 35 big octopus guardian kills? Do they just not drop cores?
    I know I've gotten some from chests, but I think they're also drops? You can check your compendium to see what enemies drop what.
    Variable wrote: »
    I'm just gonna have to cheat and look up how I made this full recovery +20 hearts dish. hearty simmered fruit must taste great.
    Generally,
    a bunch of hearty radishes.

    this particular one was
    hearty durians
    but yours is probably the same


    seesaw shrine is my new favorite

    BNet-Vari#1998 | WiiU-Variable | 3DS-3866-8105-7478 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Wrestling.png?dl=0
  • MegaMekMegaMek LET IT DIE Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    What Guardian do I have to kill to get cores? Is it just my luck that I've had zero cores from 35 big octopus guardian kills? Do they just not drop cores?

    Any of the ambulatory guardians can drop regular and large cores. It's a really small chance it seems.

    PSN: Mekredd
    BlueBlue
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza RIP Iwata-san..... ...and thanks for the Switch, you magnificent bastard.Registered User regular
    edited March 21
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    What Guardian do I have to kill to get cores? Is it just my luck that I've had zero cores from 35 big octopus guardian kills? Do they just not drop cores?

    Any of the ambulatory guardians can drop regular and large cores. It's a really small chance it seems.

    I've gotten cores from those decaying guardians that litter the landscape in certain areas. They are few and far between though, it's mostly just springs. I have like 30 springs and I haven't even killed a full fledged guardian yet.

    Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I'm just gonna have to cheat and look up how I made this full recovery +20 hearts dish. hearty simmered fruit must taste great.

    If you still have the dish, you can select it and view the recipe in the inventory screen.

    MegaMek
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Woo, finally finished Breath of the Wild on Sunday night after three intense weekends and fairly long daily sessions. Now I can finally read through the thread and post about my experiences. I've very much wanted to post about things because this game is good, y'know, but wanted to avoid spoilers until I beat the game. Lots of random bits in the spoiler about my general experience to get off of my chest.
    Ended the game with all main quests fulfilled, 102 trial shrines completed, and 230 Korok seeds found. I'd call that pretty good, especially since I didn't use the Sheikah Sensor at all to find shrines. I've looked at the map that was posted earlier in the thread (here) so I'll take care of the rest of the shrines over the rest of the week. I still need to get the headgear to complete the Rubber set. And it turns out that I completely missed the Lakeside Stable deep in the Faron region as well as a few shrines that I must have just blindly walked past.

    One of the funniest things about my experience was that I only found my second Great Fairy in the Tabantha (Rito) Region after exploring most of the rest of the world. I even missed the Akkala Great Fairy even though I'd explored that region already. The Gerudo Great Fairy was actually my third one found - didn't need the quest for that one. Well, the Horse God was my actual second Great Fairy, if we're counting that one. Never had the money for opening the last Great Fairy, but it feels like the third level of improvement is good enough.

    It really did help me once I unlocked the second Great Fairy. Getting the set bonuses and extra defense from the second tier of upgrades was a real boost in confidence, which allowed me to start taking down the Major Tests of Strength, followed by the Lynels, and then Guardians. Each of these major enemy types felled provided a huge feeling of power. The former two really helped me improve my combat prowess, which definitely was needed for the first phase of the final boss. I'm a little bit disappointed with the difficulty of the second phase, but it was an appropriately epic fight.

    Overall, I had a great experience with the game. Motion controls worked great for me, I wasn't bothered by the equipment durability systems, and there was a great balance between periods of combat and exploration. I will admit that I did start avoiding combat a little bit in the late game because of how beefy the enemies were becoming. In hindsight, I probably would have been fine continuing to engage in combat since it seemed like the dropped equipment was scaling as well; I was receiving more and more equipment with significant durability and attack bonuses at the end of the game. But it didn't seem as worth it to spend durability on Stal- enemies, Keese, and Chuchus as compared to other common foes. That got me into a little bit of trouble when I opened up the third Great Fairy and couldn't upgrade everything all at once - only most of my stuff. But yeah, given my experience with cleaving a path through Hyrule Castle with only a few pieces of Royal equipment, I shouldn't have worried at all and just beat up everything.

    The size of the world and the variety of locales to explore was paced just right for so that when I was starting to feel done with the game, I was pretty much done with exploring all corners of the map. I was most annoyed by the cold regions of the world (Hebra, Gerudo Highlands, Mount Lanayru) since I had to forego the usual travel gear for the Warm Doublet and cold-resistance foods and elixirs. (I didn't visit the Rito until most of the way through my gameplay, as the second paragraph suggests.) I'm not sure if I'll go in on the DLC when it releases, but it's still a few months away so I'll keep an ear out for impressions. My light fatigue with the game will have probably dissipated by then.

    chirisigtext.png
    OneAngryPossumZilla360
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited March 21
    Dirk2112 wrote: »

    Because the weapons break less frequently, the game is more enjoyable now than it was when I had soldier's, travelers, and other crappy weapons. That is based on the weapons themselves and not the strength of the opponent.

    I feel this is apt. Weapon durability has been unenjoyable as a mechanic only at certain junctures, but it has been uncomfortable a great deal more. Expanding the inventory slot room and seeing durability/quality generally go up has really, really helped. Early game I felt like there was unsustainably high pressure on the limited space available - before I really learned that everything was usable for everything and I could pick and choose my approaches, I was trying to keep one of everything since the game seemed to want me to do that. For example:
    - a torch or tree branch for fires because the game only gave you a couple early on and seemed to imply you'd need them more often than you did
    - a woodcutter's axe for utility because it seemed silly to waste weapon durability on trees and the game only gave you a couple early on and seemed to imply you'd need them more often than you did
    - a korok leaf since the game only gave you a couple early on and seemed to imply you'd need them more often than you did
    - a sledge because similarly why waste weapons and the axe is too low damage to mine with and ... you get the idea.

    on top of that "utility" package I only had a few slots left for

    - a one-handed weapon for most combat
    - a two-handed with as high damage as possible for sneakstrikes or shieldbearing enemies
    - a spear for certain enemy types

    So you can see where losing your one good Soldier's Broadsword you've been hoarding in a sea of Boko Bat and Rusty weapon drops is suddenly a shitstorm, because you've got nothing to replace it with in that role at that quality level, and now you're doomed to twenty minutes of scrambling around picking up whatever the last bokoblin dropped and having it immediately break on you until you find another usable primary. Dumb? Yes - in hindsight. But in that learning stage where I hadn't quite figured out to just disengage or lob some bombs and hadn't learned that you can use anything wooden for fires, you never really need korok leaves, you can mine with anything and not just hammers, and most importantly that you can always go out and find the tool you need and come back or find another way to get it accomplished - it was stressful.

    I'm still doing this in the mid-late game now, though I've come to accept that you can't be totally prepared for everything always; I feel like I've got to have one flame weapon on hand to start fires, one frost weapon, one lightning, maybe a rod, a sledge for mining, an axe for keese and trees because they're free at stables and why waste good weapons, a high-quality boomerang for crowd control, a low-quality boomerang for hunting without wasting arrows, a big two-hander, a second big-two-handeras backup, a "daily-driver" one-hander, a higher-damage-but-reserved-for-emergencies-to-preserve-it top shelf one-hander, a good spear for lizalfos and yiga, a wooden weapon for thunderstorm encounters, a duplicate/third one-hander so I don't have to resort to damaging my emergency one-hander if the daily driver breaks etc. etc. Once something has a role I can assign it in my inventory the hoarding mania sets in and it never leaves.

    Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    Dirk2112
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I mean, you might want to keep a fire weapon around to quickly go through cold areas without eating food or shuffling around the inventory for the warm doublet, but to actually start fires? Flint or fire chuchu jelly is a lot more economical. Or fire arrows in a pinch.

    And stores restock on arrows if you get low enough (not sure the exact number), so there's really not THAT much reason to try to hoard them too hard.

    steam_sig.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Mining with bombs is enough of a pain in the ass that a hammer is a good idea, but you don't really need an axe for trees.

  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Mining with bombs is enough of a pain in the ass that a hammer is a good idea, but you don't really need an axe for trees.

    Bombing trees makes the fruit go flying just as much as it does to ore

    steam_sig.png
    MegaMekZilla360
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    Mining with bombs is enough of a pain in the ass that a hammer is a good idea, but you don't really need an axe for trees.

    Bombing trees makes the fruit go flying just as much as it does to ore

    Except Durians. Bombing a durian tree just makes them fall gently to the ground as the tree falls down.

    Apparently hylian durians are explosion-proof.

    SpoitMegaMek
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    Mining with bombs is enough of a pain in the ass that a hammer is a good idea, but you don't really need an axe for trees.

    Bombing trees makes the fruit go flying just as much as it does to ore

    Except Durians. Bombing a durian tree just makes them fall gently to the ground as the tree falls down.

    Apparently hylian durians are explosion-proof.

    So, fairly accurate, then.

    BlueBlueZilla360
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I have tones of Luminous Stones, but I cant find Ludo. Where has he gone?

    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    My fights with Lynels are precise affairs. Parry, dodge, strike, run when they breathe fire, stasis to prevent the ground pound, kill them with precision. Like a master.

    My wife paraglides down, equips whichever bow fires the most arrows, and buries them in bomb arrows. Like a savage.

    I feel like she might be doing it right.

    steam_sig.png
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    SurfpossumMegaMekXerinkjkylefultonJoolander
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Been trying to farm pink fairies for crafting, and they don't seem to spawn at great fairy fountains anymore. Day or night they just don't show up at all, does unlocking all the fountains make them go away?

  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Do you currently have a bunch in your inventory?

    I think that having a bunch makes them stop spawning until you don't have a bunch. The game doesn't want you to be able to stockpile hundreds for a boss fight.

    YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
    Capt HowdyWyvernVyolynceAbsoluteZeroRoad BlockJoolander
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Been trying to farm pink fairies for crafting, and they don't seem to spawn at great fairy fountains anymore. Day or night they just don't show up at all, does unlocking all the fountains make them go away?

    I think there's a cap on fairies you can carry. After you have so many no more will spawn, to keep combat fair and limit your number or revives on hand. Personally I have had 4, I think, for most of the game.

    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    King Riptor
Sign In or Register to comment.