As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild] Bokoblin Genocide Simulator

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Man, why is everything so expensive. Every time I want to make any minimally important purchase I have to go hunt in Hebra for meats to cook and sell. All this trading in moose goods, at this rate my Link is going to end up watching hockey.

Also, I need to start a list for myself of where useful weapons (elemental and the like) spawn, so I can reget them after a blood moon when spent.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Yeah I have 4 fairies. Just want to use them in my mad cooking experiments, guess great fairies look down on that.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    You cook them, then go find more. Great fairies want proof you aren't just keeping them for sexual gratification, or something.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Man, why is everything so expensive. Every time I want to make any minimally important purchase I have to go hunt in Hebra for meats to cook and sell. All this trading in moose goods, at this rate my Link is going to end up watching hockey.

Also, I need to start a list for myself of where useful weapons (elemental and the like) spawn, so I can reget them after a blood moon when spent.

I need to find the recipe for Poutine.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Man why are there no potatoes to make fries. There are other roots! Radishes and carrots! Come on.

Can you even make a burger?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Carrots make the best fries, anyway.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    You cook them, then go find more. Great fairies want proof you aren't just keeping them for sexual gratification, or something.

Yeah, that's what the Great Fairies are for, apparently.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

Yeah, that's what the Great Fairies are for, apparently.

They are a jealous lot.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Hyrule Castle side quest
    where is that damn cookbook? I think I searched the library well, so there's probably a royal kitchen somewhere but turrets and drones are everywhere and I've run out of ancient arrows so I'll have to stock back up for another castle assault later.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Hyrule Castle side quest
    where is that damn cookbook? I think I searched the library well, so there's probably a royal kitchen somewhere but turrets and drones are everywhere and I've run out of ancient arrows so I'll have to stock back up for another castle assault later.
    they're both in the library, but you don't actually pick them up.

In fact, I don't think you even have to read them to do the quest, you just need to make one of the two recipes:
    fruitcake or monster cake.

Fruitcake is easier, as it doesn't require finding the monster shop. It is just two fruit (different kinds, I used an apple and banana, two of the same will not work) a sugar cane and a wheat.
    Make it and then just talk to the dude.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Y'know this game would be a lot of fun with personal custom challenges.

Play as a vegan.

Or a minimum kill run (played normally otherwise). Avoiding Test of Strength shrines and such.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Hyrule Castle side quest

In fact, I don't think you even have to read them to do the quest, you just need to make one of the two recipes:

Fruitcake is easier, as it doesn't require finding the monster shop. It is just two fruit (different kinds, I used an apple and banana, two of the same will not work) a sugar cane and a wheat.
    Yeah I happened to have a fruitcake when I talked to him again at some point and it completed the quest without me even finding the cook book.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Hyrule Castle side quest

I remember reading both those recipes but didn't notice a quest update, should check my quest log later to make sure. If there's no update then the quest is really vague.

• Options
    RethiusRethius Registered User regular
    I really like the weapon durability in this game. I used to limit myself to the sword and board, but this game forces me to use sticks and tridents and everything in between. It makes combat really fun, and its very satisfying to throw a damaged weapon in a bokoblin's face.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

Dunno where you are in the game but instead of hunting for meat, pick up a few hammers, set your sensor for rich mineral veins and go walking around death mountain, or the area just east (or north) of the desert....

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    So playing this on the Switch pretty much means that I never close the game, I simply put the console on sleep when not playing.

The other day I had 3 blood moons in a row, and one of them happened at 11:00 am. This is a glitch right? I closed the software assuming having it running so long might have caused this.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    So playing this on the Switch pretty much means that I never close the game, I simply put the console on sleep when not playing.

The other day I had 3 blood moons in a row, and one of them happened at 11:00 am. This is a glitch right? I closed the software assuming having it running so long might have caused this.
    I have heard that this can happen due to not closing the game for a long time, yes, tho I can't say for sure.

I wonder if the reverse can also happen, and that's why some folks go forever without seeing a blood moon.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

Dunno where you are in the game but instead of hunting for meat, pick up a few hammers, set your sensor for rich mineral veins and go walking around death mountain, or the area just east (or north) of the desert....

I didn't realize you could track ore veins until last night watching my GF play and was amazed.

I need like, a lot, of rupees still so that'll help.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    You guys say that but I've had three in a row on the Wii U as well.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Yup. Even powering the console off doesn't close the software, though. You have to go Home and then hit "close software," only way to stop it at more than a suspend state.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Yup. Even powering the console off doesn't close the software, though. You have to go Home and then hit "close software," only way to stop it at more than a suspend state.

If you actually power off the Switch, it absolutely closes the game. To do that and not just put it in sleep mode, you need to hold the power button until the power options menu appears.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Man why are there no potatoes to make fries. There are other roots! Radishes and carrots! Come on.

Potatoes are New World, I assume that they stuck with Old World stuff for thematic reasons.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Honestly one food item sorely missing is cheese. Like, how is there no cheese in the game?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Honestly one food item sorely missing is cheese. Like, how is there no cheese in the game?

Actually now you mention it, yeah. They have goats butter so they're not lactose intolerant!

• Options
    Hyrule Castle side quest

I remember reading both those recipes but didn't notice a quest update, should check my quest log later to make sure. If there's no update then the quest is really vague.

There is no update, and it is really vague. It was actually the very last sidequest I completed because of it. Also partly because I didn't really realize how accessible Hyrule Castle was to get in and out of at any point, and I had been actively avoiding the area the whole game. If I ever started a new game, I would definitely go in and loot the place out of the gate.

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    jothki wrote: »

Potatoes are New World, I assume that they stuck with Old World stuff for thematic reasons.

That's actually way more thought into it than I'd expect but it seems like it would check out.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I assume the whole food thing is mainly because this particular Zelda is heavily Japan-influenced.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Vaguely on the subject of cheese and potatoes, maybe, @wandering dug up this tidbit:
    wandering wrote: »
    Apparently the ancient-future stuff in Breath of the Wild is based on the Jōmon period in Japan (14,000–1000 BCE)

p60Y9E0.png?1

46Si7vO.jpg?1

neat
    Will those pictures work with voodoo Vanilla magic?

e: no they will not.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Some guy on Youtube said this about Bloodmoons:
    It's not a glitch. It's a failsafe for when the game fails to keep track of objects. Since the blood moon resets everything and jumps into a video cutscene in order to hide the loading and resets, it is triggered as a panic failsafe to avoid a game crash. The whole bloodmoon thing came about when testers were having problems with the game's ability to keep track of all of the object changes in the open world, which were getting corrupt memory access and crashing the game. Since they were unable to find a solution to this problem, they created this trigger that resets the object variables and clears up memory. It is triggered by a cutscene. You can notice the amount of time it takes for the reset based on how fast the "Skip (+)" option appears during the cutscene. Sometimes, it appears right away, sometimes it doesn't even appear at all. It is not rendered by the engine, it is a video that hides the reset process. (sometimes the game even keeps loading after the cutscene as it did not have enough time to do it, that is why you had such a long load there).

I don't believe the "Skip" part, but the rest does seem to make sense on why they might be triggered more often.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Yeah I can force the skip prompt to appear right away by pressing the X button. Found this out because you use X to skip the cooking jingle, and when a blood moon happened I instinctively hammered X. So every blood moon I press X then + to skip the cutscene.

BronzeKoopa on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Kinda neat that they turned a bug-fix into a story thing. As a programmer, that appeals.

• Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Some guy on Youtube said this about Bloodmoons:
    It's not a glitch. It's a failsafe for when the game fails to keep track of objects. Since the blood moon resets everything and jumps into a video cutscene in order to hide the loading and resets, it is triggered as a panic failsafe to avoid a game crash. The whole bloodmoon thing came about when testers were having problems with the game's ability to keep track of all of the object changes in the open world, which were getting corrupt memory access and crashing the game. Since they were unable to find a solution to this problem, they created this trigger that resets the object variables and clears up memory. It is triggered by a cutscene. You can notice the amount of time it takes for the reset based on how fast the "Skip (+)" option appears during the cutscene. Sometimes, it appears right away, sometimes it doesn't even appear at all. It is not rendered by the engine, it is a video that hides the reset process. (sometimes the game even keeps loading after the cutscene as it did not have enough time to do it, that is why you had such a long load there).

I don't believe the "Skip" part, but the rest does seem to make sense on why they might be triggered more often.

Yeah, press X and the Skip + pops up, it isn't a matter of "loading". Granted sometimes it takes a second before you can do it, but it is fairly consistent and doesn't seem to indicate anything behind the scenes. In fact, regardless of when you skip, there is always a short black screen with the loading icon after a bloodmoon.

I'm not sure I really buy this explanation. There clearly is some reason why you get a blood moon 3 times in one night, even when it isn't actually a bloodmoon; but given that I've had it happen again after killing a single enemy, it either isn't a problem tracking world changes, or they aren't doing a very good job of resetting the world with a bloodmoon.

I'd be curious to find out where youtube person got this information. Even if it is partially accurate, it definitely isn't the whole picture.

• Options
    Guess it would depend on playstyle, are people getting back to back blood moons going hog wild on the world. Killing everything, bombing trees, burning things to the ground, etc.

• Options
    Every cutscene is like that. You can skip most things in the game with X, but with cutscenes when you hit X it tells you to hit + instead. The story doesn't quite match up with reality.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The game already does a pretty good job of clearing stuff out without the need to create an event for it. You can drop something on the ground then immediately save and reload, and it's gone. Items on the ground even go away when you fast travel.

If the notion that a blood moon is a possible emergency "dump and reset", I have to imagine it's a bizarro dump. As in it's not struggling to keep track of all these items lying around, it's struggling to keep track of all the items and enemies that are gone and need to be reset. Which makes sense in a way. Data is data.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Guess it would depend on playstyle, are people getting back to back blood moons going hog wild on the world. Killing everything, bombing trees, burning things to the ground, etc.

I've gotten 3 bloodmoons in a single night before, killed one enemy between the first two, and the third just happened again right before dawn, I hadn't done anything else of note. EDIT: I mean, by nothing of note, I think I just traveled through an area, didn't do any shrines, killing, etc. Simply moving.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Only bloodmoon shenanigans I've experienced was the bloodmoon coming out before the sun had set. It was 8:00pm in game time, like right on the dot, so I figured that must be the earliest one can happen under normal circumstances.

Not that the moon being out during the daytime is, you know, unusual or something in real life. But the rules of the game world seem to assert the moon only comes out at night.

I think if they needed daytime bloodmoons they should have made it an eclipse. That would have been rad as fuck.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Just out of blind curiosity, when these rogue moons happen, do you get the 30 minute (game time obviously) "oooOOOooo spoooky" buildup? Or is it just BAM blood moon?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Only bloodmoon shenanigans I've experienced was the bloodmoon coming out before the sun had set. It was 8:00pm in game time, like right on the dot, so I figured that must be the earliest one can happen under normal circumstances.

Not that the moon being out during the daytime is, you know, unusual or something in real life. But the rules of the game world seem to assert the moon only comes out at night.

I think if they needed daytime bloodmoons they should have made it an eclipse. That would have been rad as fuck.

Eclipses in general seem like a missed opportunity to have some haunted or extra buff creature shenanigans.

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

I can't speak for anyone else, but I get them after killing a lot of monsters in one region and then moving on and killing things in a non neighboring region. Example (Killed ton of stuff outside of Goron City, teleported to Kakariko village, left the village and killed one or 2 things and the blood moon was triggered. Maybe it is happenstance, but that is how it seems to happen for me. I spent a lot of time by the
    Zoras
    and never saw a blood moon until I decided to fly across country and get some towers. I got to Akkala and boom blood moon.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914