As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] This guy, who I named "Brexit", did something stupid

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Yesterday it took me two minutes to find a terror manual on how to use a car for mass murder. Found it here

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yesterday it took me two minutes to find a terror manual on how to use a car for mass murder. Found it here

Please do not post extremist propaganda.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    UKIP's Lord Pearson asked a very detailed question as to why he was unable to access a website on his official internet connection.

The reply?

"Racist websites are blocked."

What an asshole

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2017-03-24/ukip-access-to-european-single-market-critical-for-welsh-farmers-post-brexit/

you wot

Edit:
    In the shorter term we have heard clear evidence that access to the Single Market place, continuation of financial support and assurances over migrant labour are critical priorities.

you wot

japan on
  • Options
    I mean that's not surprising. Brexit has always been about getting rid of brown people despite them not coming from the EU and being able to shaft the little people legally. They still want access to all that money.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    His last name is Reckless?

Is this satire or a stunningly appropriate coincidence?

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2017-03-24/ukip-access-to-european-single-market-critical-for-welsh-farmers-post-brexit/

you wot

Edit:
    In the shorter term we have heard clear evidence that access to the Single Market place, continuation of financial support and assurances over migrant labour are critical priorities.

you wot

I've not felt such pure unrelenting hatred for someone for a long time

It's so clean and untainted by restraint or mercy, by god

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

you wot

Edit:

you wot

I've not felt such pure unrelenting hatred for someone for a long time

It's so clean and untainted by restraint or mercy, by god

This appeared as a moral dilemma
    Cause at first it was weird though I swore to eliminate
    The worst of the plague that devoured humanity
    (It's true I was vague on the 'How')
    so how can it be that you have shown me the light?

It's a brand new day
    And the sun is high
    All the birds are singing
    That you're gonna die

How I hesitated
    Now I wonder why
    It's a brand new day

• Options
    Literally nothing makes sense anymore
    And if I can put it to you, for someone like myself, it was in 1933, the year of my birth, that Hitler was democratically elected in Germany. He unleashed the most horrendous war. This country played a unique role in securing his defeat.

So Germany lost the war. We’ve just handed them the opportunity to win the peace. I find that quite unacceptable.
    Ukip said the comments were an extraordinary thing to say and asked if Heseltine had “lost his marbles”.

“If I was German I would be deeply offended,” a Ukip spokesman told the BBC. “I never realised the purpose of Britain’s membership of the EU was to stop German domination of Europe.

“For someone who is deeply pro-European to basically say he doesn’t trust the German people not to misbehave shows how utterly out of touch he is with the modern world and the modern, democratic and free Germany.”

This from fucking UKIP, of all people

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/24/germany-will-win-the-peace-in-europe-because-of-brexit-says-lord-heseltine

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Okay, did someone accidentally touch an ancient mirror covered with arcane symbols, while simultaneously reciting a spell in Latin?
    Because that's the best explanation I've got for all this mirror universe shit.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    The easiest explanation is that someone in UKIP has some kind of stock in Germany or likes going to those big orgy parties.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    or that ukip already got what they want and now they're trying to look like the good guys

• Options
    eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    Nah its just the old united in opposition thing. They're all such a bunch of [insert foul language] that without the EU to bring them together they literally fight each other.

Also Heseletine's comments are a reminder that the EU will be less divided without us and we may see greater EU integration in the future, meaning we really will have to surrender sovereignty when we rejoin.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    eEK! wrote: »
    Nah its just the old united in opposition thing. They're all such a bunch of [insert foul language] that without the EU to bring them together they literally fight each other.

Also Heseletine's comments are a reminder that the EU will be less divided without us and we may see greater EU integration in the future, meaning we really will have to surrender sovereignty when we rejoin.

Yeah pretty much. As I mentioned in another thread, Britain has had one overriding foreign policy goal for the last 3 centuries: prevent any single power from dominating Europe. The geopolitical reasoning is obvious almost to the point of tautology (We don't particularly want to do it ourselves, and if anyone else does manage it, then we're obviously fucked) and it was either the main reason or at least one of the main reasons we wanted to join the EEC in the first place - especially once it looked like it was going to work and not just go away. It was also the main reason the Gaullists tried so hard to keep Britain out in the 50s and 60s.

There is very strong hegemonist tradition in the French political class, and turning the EU into a Francoflavour European superstate was - and probably still is - high on their agenda. Blocking or attentuating that project was a big part of our relationship with the rest of the EU.

Well, except that we've apparently decided that binning 5 decades of accumulated influence, privileges and exemptions and flouncing off in a huff because we only got our own way 93% of the time is the best way to advance our goals.

Well done, UKIP. No, really, top marks.

So now I guess we need a new core foreign policy. Perhaps we can call it the Jam Doctrine, on account of how we're in such a sticky situation.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    UKIP's only MP is abandoning the party and going independent!

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    That's been on the cards for a while.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
  • Options
    He's not wrong

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Tell it, Tim.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Anyone heard much about the new Mayors? Know a lot of you are around Cambridgeshire way and we're one of the new regions to get one, though Cambridgeshire and Peterborough seem pretty diverse places and other than a leaflet from the Lib Dems I've not seen a lot about it.

• Options

If this is true taken at face value hold onto your butts

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular

If this is true taken at face value hold onto your butts

Non-verified account impersonating @theheraldsun. I'm going with fake... that wouldn't work, anyways.

• Options
    It's not verified but that does appear to be the Sunday Herald twitter account

@theheraldsun is a newspaper based in Melbourne, Australia

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Scotland joining the EU can't simply be a case of getting a hand stamp when you leave the club so you can get back in later. It would set a dangerous precedent that some countries are keen to avoid. Spain, for a start, will be desperate to avoid allowing anything that bolsters Catalonia's independence campaign.

• Options
    The spain thing isn't as simple as is made out from the unionist side

There has been a lot of outreach with going on from the scottish government, including spain specifically

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Interesting. Very keen to see how it plays out because it really does open up a hell of a lot of questions about fractures such as that.

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    It's not verified but that does appear to be the Sunday Herald twitter account

@theheraldsun is a newspaper based in Melbourne, Australia

Huh. Well then.

... I still don't think that makes any sense, so I guess we have to see what the writeup is then.

• Options
    The line from Spain as articulated by the MSPs that went out there (who are snp and so partisan in this matter, so take as you will) has been that they are concerned about non-constitutional secession, that is, secession that isn't mutually agreed. The first indyref carried with it the recognition of the uk government, and so didn't present a problem on that score.

It's probably part of the reason that Sturgeon is taking great pains to make sure everything is constitutionally​ watertight.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Ugh, I want a DSTExit.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Ugh, I want a DSTExit.

they tried it in the late 60s

people cried

thus we still waste our time on it

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Ugh, I want a DSTExit.

they tried it in the late 60s

people cried

thus we still waste our time on it

Well if we can upend big decisions made in the 70s for no reason we can toss this aside too.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Saw Starmer in the Grauniad, saying Labour wouldn't accept any Brexit deal that didn't include equivalents of single market and customs union access. Reduced to shouting 'It's a bit bloody late now!' At my phone.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    yeah. I mean really.
    Labour will refuse to vote in the House of Commons for any Brexit deal struck between Theresa May and the 27 remaining EU states unless the deal ensures precisely the same economic and trade benefits as Britain currently gains from full membership.

In a major policy speech on Monday, Labour’s Brexit spokesman, Keir Starmer, will set out six tests for May and EU leaders to meet, including a requirement that any agreement delivers the “exact same benefits” as the UK enjoys from being inside the single market and customs union.

The same phrase was deployed in a Commons debate in January by the Brexit secretary David Davis, when he tried to reassure the pro-EU Tory MP Anna Soubry that there was a clear plan for Brexit that would not harm the UK economy. Davis said a new “comprehensive free trade agreement and a comprehensive customs agreement” would deliver “the exact same benefits as we have [now]” after the UK leaves.

I liked this response:

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    yeah. I mean really.
    Labour will refuse to vote in the House of Commons for any Brexit deal struck between Theresa May and the 27 remaining EU states unless the deal ensures precisely the same economic and trade benefits as Britain currently gains from full membership.

In a major policy speech on Monday, Labour’s Brexit spokesman, Keir Starmer, will set out six tests for May and EU leaders to meet, including a requirement that any agreement delivers the “exact same benefits” as the UK enjoys from being inside the single market and customs union.

The same phrase was deployed in a Commons debate in January by the Brexit secretary David Davis, when he tried to reassure the pro-EU Tory MP Anna Soubry that there was a clear plan for Brexit that would not harm the UK economy. Davis said a new “comprehensive free trade agreement and a comprehensive customs agreement” would deliver “the exact same benefits as we have [now]” after the UK leaves.

I liked this response:

Why leave the EU if you want the exact same agreements in place. You can't have it both ways.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    yeah. I mean really.

I liked this response:

Why leave the EU if you want the exact same agreements in place. You can't have it both ways.

They want the same benefits. They didn't say anything about having the same obligations.

Also, what's the point of those 'six tests'? What power does Labour have to stop the Tories?

And if 'EU Leaders' don't meet all of those 'six tests', what're they gonna do about it? Not Brexit after all? Yeah, no, I can see how that would worry the EU.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    yeah. I mean really.

I liked this response:

They want the same benefits. They didn't say anything about having the same obligations.

Also, what's the point of those 'six tests'? What power does Labour have to stop the Tories?

And if 'EU Leaders' don't meet all of those 'six tests', what're they gonna do about it? Not Brexit after all? Yeah, no, I can see how that would worry the EU.

But you can't have the same benefits without the same obligations. The EU leaders aren't brain damaged I hope.
    Why give a leaving member exactly the same benefits as a EU member. Especially a leaving member. The EU will already make the UK pay through the nose just to leave because they want to make an example out of the UK. A warning to other members not to leave.

In my opinion the UK will leave after two years with no deals in place. They can't even set realistic goals going into these deals.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Knives out for local elections

First is the communications director for Scottish Labour, the other is an SNP councillor.

They appear to be on some kind of weird kick about how acknowledging issues is "talking Scotland/[city] down" and i don't know if this is some kind of coordinated messaging or not. It seems kind of nonsensical, if so.

japan on
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    I'd go a step further and say that the EU are unlikely to give the UK a "comfortable middle" arrangement. Their goal is to ensure that EU membership is always seen as the best option. Giving the UK a deal like Norway (or in this case better than Norway due to demands for decoupling of the four freedoms) where they could appear to happily sit on the fringes without any significant pain would encourage others to do the same. It would also mean that the UK would be unlikely to reapply for membership.

I expect any leniency the UK gets from the EU will last just long enough for the EU to replace or relocate any industries that they need.

• Options
    eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    yeah. I mean really.

I liked this response:

But you can't have the same benefits without the same obligations. The EU leaders aren't brain damaged I hope.
    Why give a leaving member exactly the same benefits as a EU member. Especially a leaving member. The EU will already make the UK pay through the nose just to leave because they want to make an example out of the UK. A warning to other members not to leave.

In my opinion the UK will leave after two years with no deals in place. They can't even set realistic goals going into these deals.

My prediction is we'll go back and forth for 23 months with no progress, then someone will miraculously produce a deal that is suspiciously similar to Norway's with some bits about the Irish and/or Scottish border.

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Knives out for local elections

First is the communications director for Scottish Labour, the other is an SNP councillor.

They appear to be on some kind of weird kick about how acknowledging issues is "talking Scotland/[city] down" and i don't know if this is some kind of coordinated messaging or not. It seems kind of nonsensical, if so.

Acknowledging issues around Brexit is apparently "talking Britain down", so it does not surprise me that this has now moved to other areas of politics.

This discussion has been closed.