As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles] Rescue Palooza! New fan game out now.

CenoCeno pizza timeRegistered User regular
edited June 2019 in Social Entropy++
k0vc19j0o9ya.jpg

In 1984, two guys printed a one-shot black and white comic meant to parody the grimdark Frank Miller-esque fare that had recently permeated comic books: Daredevil, Ronin, and New Mutants among them. In the comic, four mutated turtles were trained as ninja by a talking rat in order to avenge his master's death at the hands of a particularly edgy villain named the Shredder. The comic turned out to be surprise success and grew into a regular series. Three years later, a toy company approached the creators and said they wanted to make an action figure line and an animated series based on the franchise. It would have to be tamed down for kids: the turtles were given different colored masks to help differentiate them and an appetite for pizza.

Then the whole world blew up and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were the biggest thing since sliced bread.

The franchise has lived on another 30 years, emerging in various forms; cartoons, live-action movies, video games, comics, and pretty much everything else. In 2009, Nickelodeon purchased the franchise lock, stock, and barrel and revitalized it into (what I consider to be) the best interpretation of the Turtles ever put to film. That CG-animated series has concluded in its fifth season, and a new traditionally animated show - "Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" - debuted in 2018 and is currently running. IDW currently has a pretty great comic book series running as well, which recently broke the record for longest-running TMNT comic.

So let's talk about some T-U-R-T-L-E power. I lived and died by this franchise for pretty much my entire youth and it's still probably the closest franchise to my heart.

DwpF2SIWsAEEAr6.jpg:large

Ceno on

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I probably won't really like Turtles again until they're a story about First Generation immigrant kids.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    The new cartoon is hugely solid and managed to make April the most interesting character

Also doing some stuff with Karai I really enjoy

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    The new cartoon is hugely solid and managed to make April the most interesting character

Also doing some stuff with Karai I really enjoy

As soon as they announced that April would be a teenager herself for that show I thought of course

Like it's so obvious and a way better fit for April than any other continuity, I can't believe no one has ever thought of it before

I don't think I could go back now, I hope she's young in the new show because a traditionally animated Turtles show sounds really exciting

I do want to go back and get caught up on the current show, I think I fell off around season 2 or 3?

• Options
    I've seen some episodes and I like it okay. Rob Paulsen as Donatello is great.

I just don't really watch TV and am not that interested in starting just for this.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Sad this is the last season but we get some fuck awesome Usagi toys out of it

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Did it end at a good reboot spot? I am curious as to why they felt like it needed one.

I do think it's kind of neat that they're going back to traditional animation.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I'm actually re-reading through the entire godawful run of Image comics that came out back in 1996 (which of course I still have), wherein the Turtles are Image as all Image.

Raphael loses an eye and then takes on the Shredder mantle to lead the Foot Clan, Donatello falls out of a helicopter and turns into a cyborg, Leo loses a hand, Splinter turns into a bat. This comic was terrible.

Ceno on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    sarukun wrote: »
    Did it end at a good reboot spot? I am curious as to why they felt like it needed one.

Season 4 basically ends the show's story arc. Season 5 is a "Tales Of" collection. I need a blu-ray collection like air, but I doubt they'll ever give it to me.

There were really good jokes in that show. Like this spoof on one of the most recent movies.

https://youtu.be/y-PFY358trA

Ceno on
  • Options

Its getting a season of "Tales" but the lastest season closed a bunch of plot holes
    They kill Splinter, fishface, Razzar and cure Baxter Stockman. Then Leo kills Super Shredder. Its left in a good spot for an ending but its open for them to continue

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Its getting a season of "Tales" but the lastest season closed a bunch of plot holes
    They kill Splinter, fishface, Razzar and cure Baxter Stockman. Then Leo kills Super Shredder. Its left in a good spot for an ending but its open for them to continue
    I'm still pretty surprised they offed Splinter.
    Well, more that they didn't bring him back to life at the end, since he'd been thought dead multiple times throughout the series, but still. Surprised.
    [/spoiler

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I have all first printings of the eastman and laird one offs from the 80s

I should dig them out sometime

• Options
    My constant dream is that someone dumps Horizon-level production values into a TMNT game one day, basically making the "Arkham Asylum" of TMNT games, complete with various looks for the Turtles (and a mandatory option to make all the masks red).

Even the original NES game had some interesting concepts. It was basically a quasi-open world game. But anything that wasn't the arcade game back then was a disappointment.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    I would be all over a video game series that tracked the boys through like four/5 years worth of character development, start 'em young like 13 and take 'em up to adulthood.

I'd be kind of cranky if they didn't last way longer than the Arkhangelsk games, though.

Edit: Arkham games. What the hell is that garglemesh up there?

sarukun on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I got a bunch of the IDW comics on sale last year, and I've been catching up on that. Really good stuff.

Also, I want a new Power Rangers/TMNT crossover, since they're both on Nick. Hey, if Justice League can do it...

Oh, and for games? Look into Danger of the Ooze if you haven't already. It's really good, and the price seems to be cheap.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options

Also, I want a new Power Rangers/TMNT crossover, since they're both on Nick. Hey, if Justice League can do it...

Not that this couldn't be done right, but the last time this happened, it was far and away the worst part of what was otherwise the best season

I imagine it's a sore spot for a lot of fans

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    This is the thread where we talk about Power Rangers, right?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    are they cool but rude?

(they are neither)

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I wanted to like the Xbox game so bad. What was it called? Out of the Shadows?

But the controls were just so bad. Some of the combos and moves were just about impossible to pull off if you didn't have seven fingers on one hand.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I'm still waiting for the 4th season to be on Hulu

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The idw comics are so good

Bloods End on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I never finished season 3 of the current show. I should catch up, sometime.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Jimothy wrote: »

Not that this couldn't be done right, but the last time this happened, it was far and away the worst part of what was otherwise the best season

The best season of... Power Rangers? I ask, because, to be honest, The Last Mutation was awful from start to finish.

• Options
    We don't talk about the Last Mutation.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

The best season of... Power Rangers? I ask, because, to be honest, The Last Mutation was awful from start to finish.

Yeah, In Space makes a LOT of toplists for best Power Rangers seasons, in spite of the fact that it has one of the most dire cross-over episodes in kids shows.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Yeah, In Space makes a LOT of toplists for best Power Rangers seasons, in spite of the fact that it has one of the most dire cross-over episodes in kids shows.

Yeah, I suppose I should have been more clear, forgot we weren't in the PR thread

In Space is terrific except for those two episodes which are about as bad as PR has ever been

I'm assuming, there's a lot of seasons I haven't seen

I absolutely wasn't saying that the show that introduced Venus was good

• Options
    edited March 2017
    To be fair, there is one thing about The Last Mutation that I liked.

It had a villain who was a Yeti that was also a mobster crime boss by the name of Silver, and he was voiced by the same VA as Optimus Primal.

I cannot dislike that.

Goatmon on

• Options

Yeah, I suppose I should have been more clear, forgot we weren't in the PR thread

In Space is terrific except for those two episodes which are about as bad as PR has ever been

I'm assuming, there's a lot of seasons I haven't seen

I absolutely wasn't saying that the show that introduced Venus was good

Venus,was such an astounding fucking failure. They literally went out of their way to say the guys werent real brothers so they could ship her!
    Im glad they realized making April more prominent was the better route.

• Options
    boy howdy those last two episodes of season 4 were something

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The thing that makes the current show so great is how it constantly pays homage to earlier Turtles shows and stories (to the point of outdoing Turtles Forever and featuring the original voices for the '87 TMNT team in a very clever crossover episode), but always does its own take and tells its own compelling story at the same time.

I would have kept watching this for years, but there is something to be said for going out after several years of universally quality content without getting stale or bad.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I really wish there was a way to stream this through Netflix or Amazon. I fell off around season 3 when they switched Leo's voice. It was too jarring for me and Nick's streaming service is TERRIBLE.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    You can buy them on Amazon but for some reason they've already got the show split up into eight seasons and they are $20 apiece

Maddening

Ceno on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    I really wish there was a way to stream this through Netflix or Amazon. I fell off around season 3 when they switched Leo's voice. It was too jarring for me and Nick's streaming service is TERRIBLE.

I think they did the best they could by making that a part of his injuries. Seth grew quite well into the role.

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »
    We don't talk about the Last Mutation.

Clearly not, since it's called The Next Mutation.

That show actually had some concepts and designs I really liked. Execution, however, tended to be sorely lacking.

With all the reinvention of things from other parts of the franchise going on in the toons and comics, NM is a sorely untapped gold mine.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    I just ordered the ultimate visual history book from Amazon, since it appears to be half off at the moment.

latest?cb=20140503062411

I hear it's quite good.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I love TMNT.

I need that book.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    I wish I could understand the big deal about New York pizza. Not to disparage it, but here's the thing:

I've been to New York, and the first time I went, I made a point of getting a slice, because I'd heard for years how great it was -- that and Chicago, the Goku and Vegeta (you decide which is which) of the pizza world.

It was alright. Good even, but hardly the pizza epiphany I was expecting. When it comes to thinking about pizza, it hardly even warranted a footnote.

Maybe I just didn't pick the right place? Or maybe it was hyped to such a degree that nothing could ever meet, much less surpass my expectations?

I don't know, and it kind of bothers me whenever the subject comes up. I still feel like I'm missing something.

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited March 2017
    I went to what was recommended by many to be the best pizza place in NY (well, Brooklyn, under the bridge) and it was hands down the best pizza I have had. It was just a simple margherita with pepperoni added. It's made pizza eating always be like "this is pretty good, because pizza, but it ain't that pizza".

bombardier on
  • Options
    Goddammit now I want pizza.

• Options
    My visual history book should show up today. I have a flight tomorrow so it will be good plane reading.