As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Iron Fist] The Last Defender

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    They totally should have cast Lewis Tan as Iron Fist. He displayed far more charisma and fight scene skill in five minutes than this blond goon does in the entire series

Of course Jones barely got to practice, but still, it's hard to watch him, and it seems ridiculous not to have cast someone who already had extensive experience for a kung fu show.

this made me laffo

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I think I figured out the theme for this show.

Spoilers up to episode 10:
    The theme that governs almost all of the major characters is something like "divided loyalties":

- Danny is stuck between his duty to K'un-Lun and his attachment to his old life.
    - Ward is divided between his loyalty to his father and the pursuit of his own desires
    - Coleen is divided between her loyalty to Danny and to the organization she comes from
    - Harold is torn between his family and his obligations to the Hand
    - Joy struggles with the conflict between her business sense and her sense of what's right

It's an interesting choice, because this way we get characters who are caught in actual moral conflicts and not just panini sticker book villains and heroes.

Kashaar on
    Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what Tan's ethnic background is (important only for issues of erasure or whitewashing), but from that performance he'd make a great Shang-Chi. And if not that, there are kung fu Marvel characters in every flavor of the rainbow instead.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I'm not sure what Tan's ethnic background is (important only for issues of erasure or whitewashing), but from that performance he'd make a great Shang-Chi. And if not that, there are kung fu Marvel characters in every flavor of the rainbow instead.

Is Marvel still doing that "only one MCU role per actor" thing? He's Zhou Cheng, who is a comics character.

Anyways, apparently in the comics
    he's possessed by a dragon named Chi'-Lin whose job is to harvest Iron Fist chi.
    My guess is that he'll be a recurring miniboss; one of the few Hand mooks that can still challenge Danny after he cultivates more than 50% of his kung fu (pretty sure he's below 20%, even by the end of the first season).

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Kashaar wrote: »

The theme that governs almost all of the major characters is something like "divided loyalties":

- Danny is stuck between his duty to K'un-Lun and his attachment to his old life.
    - Ward is divided between his loyalty to his father and the pursuit of his own desires
    - Coleen is divided between her loyalty to Danny and to the organization she comes from
    - Joy struggles with the conflict between her business sense and her sense of what's right

It's an interesting choice, because this way we get characters who are caught in actual moral conflicts and not just panini sticker book villains and heroes.

That might be true, but pretty much every conflict you listed aside from the first is basically a black and white choice between good and evil. Which takes away any real sense of weight.

And the first one is both the most important example and the least developed, because we don't really have any attachment to the second option.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

That might be true, but pretty much every conflict you listed aside from the first is basically a black and white choice between good and evil. Which takes away any real sense of weight.

And the first one is both the most important example and the least developed, because we don't really have any attachment to the second option.

I disagree about the second option.
    I'm on ep 6 now, and things have been improving. Ward's slowly been growing on me over the series, and he's one of the bright spots. He's certainly more interesting than Danny, despite being an almost super-villain in a corporate suit. The moment he was hit by his father started an intriguing storyline for him by letting him have complexity and deeper reasons for why he was screwed up. He stopped being a cardboard cut out corporate villain there. Even his underhanded methods against Danny's silliness in the board room is understandable, if cold blooded.

We've finally started to have enjoyable bad guys and scenes, which while not on typical Netflix Marvel level or the better CW series, at least they're not dog shit.

I liked the whole story line with the triads, too. As well as the introduction scenes to the elite Hand assassins, like the Bride of Nine Spiders and the karaoke guy.

Madame Gao's scenes in particular are reminiscent of her time in DD, which is relieving. When she executes the guard for failing to stop IF it's chilling.

Ward and Joy's father has been amazing. Every scene he has is a must watch.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Despite being the show i was most looking forward to, I am amazed at how bad they really messed that up.
    Its a horrific mess of bad motivations, shoddy action, terrible story line, a goddamn corporate drama that I not only DONT care about, but that makes me actively angry at the show.
    and the worst offense ever:
    NO IRON FIST COSTUME?!?!?! TOTALLY UN-EXCEPTABLE MARVEL. FUCKING VERY NOT COOL. There was at LEAST a dozen perfectly good opportunities for a costume in that show. I'm so mad right now i cant even think straight.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Despite being the show i was most looking forward to, I am amazed at how bad they really messed that up.
    Its a horrific mess of bad motivations, shoddy action, terrible story line, a goddamn corporate drama that I not only DONT care about, but that makes me actively angry at the show.
    NO IRON FIST COSTUME?!?!?! TOTALLY UN-EXCEPTABLE MARVEL. FUCKING VERY NOT COOL. There was at LEAST a dozen perfectly good opportunities for a costume in that show. I'm so mad right now i cant even think straight.
    Yeah. DD already did half the work and set up.

daredevil_fullbody_cut.jpg

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Yeah. DD already did half the work and set up.

daredevil_fullbody_cut.jpg

Theoretical Claire: "You want a costume? I know a guy who knows a guy."
    One of the most annoying things about this one is that they needed to set it up so that Daredevil's absence makes sense. Claire didn't even say, "I know a guy who fights the Hand, but he's out of town looking for his girlfriend."

There was literally no reason presented for Claire not to contact Matt. In JJ, it made sense, because she has limited involvement with Jessica's problem, and there's no guarantee that Matt would be able to resist Purple Man's influence. In LC, they're on the run for a good chunk of time, and, ultimately, the problem was a Harlem problem, not a Hell's Kitchen problem, and needed to be solved by Harlem.

Here? They're fighting bad guys that DD not only has experience with, but threw his career away in S2 to keep fighting. A minimal effort into making it make sense would have been appreciated... though maybe they used all their "minimal effort" in the casting, production design, and choreography.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I actually think on that last spoiler
    Remember at the end of Luke Cage when Rodario Dawson was like "I know a lawyer"? I think Matt in is Georgia (Alabama?) trying to help out Luke

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

we also don't have any attachment to the first option, which gives it zero weight.

hell I think the other conflicts are way better because they are at least understandable, no matter how much you see them as black and white. the show is kinda bad at handling them, but they at least have the potential for suspense.

• Options
    Also, this show is called Iron Fist not The Corporate Drama of Rand Enterprises.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    I miss there being something in the show that is interesting from the perspective of making a show. Some running detail in every episode that adds to the feel of watching it.

For example, the lighting in DD. They've clearly gone to great pains to light that show in interesting ways. The lighting says something, and how they design the lighting schemes is really interesting from a technical perspective.

Or the way they used color in JJ

Or the music in LC

There isn't really something that's standing out to me in IF that is like "oh, this is a neat thing that gives a solid identity to this show"

I think it could have been the costumes. Having a ball with the costumes and making it a super stylized costumed show would have been neat. There are a few costumes that really work (Danny right at first was fucking aces, I wish that they had kept hippy Danny. And Ward costuming is fucking amazing. He looks like the platonic ideal of scummy businessman)

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

I challenge you to explain how any of those choices are straightforward good or evil?

(Ep 10 spoilers)
    - Danny probably swore an oath to protect K'un-Lun, which he's breaking - but he also seems torn apart by his desire to go back home. I haven't finished the last few episodes yet, so maybe that will be gone into in more detail, maybe not... but it's very much a "between two worlds" kind of situation, neither of which is the clear good or bad choice. If anything, having gone back home is bad, because it's a dereliction of his duty as the Iron Fist, but who can blame him for that?

- Ward is suffering under his dad's abuse, and the recent trauma of a severed head in a trailer, and then seeing his dad mutilate two corpses and subsequently being asked to dispose of their bodies - and then when he finally had enough and murdered his father, the fucker won't stay dead. He just wants to be left in peace, but his dad needs him, and he's a good son.

- Coleen sees the Hand as a home that she loves and that has done her no evil, but she also seems to have fallen in love with Danny, who hates and despises that home. The Hand has never wronged Coleen as far as we know, instead they've been very kind to her. How would they be the evil choice? How would following her heart be evil?

- For Harold this is probably the most true, but even so he doesn't serve the hand because he wants to, but because he is being coerced. In fact, they use his loyalty to his family to coerce him to do their bidding. Zombie psychosis stuff aside, his dilemma is a very tragic one with no good options.

- Joy even talks about how she finally found recognition and respect after working very hard for it, but she's conflicted between doing what's best for the company and what's best for the people affected by certain things. That's legitimate, and doing what's good for the company, within the bounds of the law, is not evil or immoral. It's not like she's the one doing shady business with ancient Chinese drug dealers here.

Kashaar on
    Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Danny wears white sneakers with a suit

He is histories greatest monster

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

I thought that was hilarious and a nice touch. Gotta remember that Danny is in some respects still 10 years old.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

I thought that was hilarious and a nice touch. Gotta remember that Danny is in some respects still 10 years old.

Danny in almost every respect is still 10 years old.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    The way he's dressed does a really good job of underscoring how out of place he is in all those scenes. Then when he gets his feet under him doing hero stuff he ditches the jacket and tie and literally rolls up his sleeves.

Like a lot of things about the show, it's clear someone put some thought and effort into those specific details, they just didn't all come together the way they probably ought to have.

Joy's wardrobe in particular is great at telling the story of her arc through the series.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I am a little sad that when I watch the show, I'm unimpressed with the action scenes. Then I see some animated gif or something and I realize just how many things he is doing at once when he fights. They really could have maybe benefited from some cheesy slo-mo shots.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Through episode 6
    I'm sorry but Danny and Colleen have no chemistry. Just staring awkwardly isn't really creating the d'awwws but rather the cringe aguhhh pull your collar type reaction.

Ward is growing on me. Still looks 20 years too old but he seems to actually have a character arc going on, just tired of being daddy's helper and Danny sort of usurping any chance he had to stand out.

The fact that the heroin chemist got stabbed in the container was hilarious how it unfolded, just so "you had one job" type thing and how slowly the stabbing actually happened. Maybe having Danny break the knife with his fist but it ricocheting and hurting the chemist would have worked better.

And what a stupid way to reveal Madame Gao, as if we didn't know who it was anyway from the last few episodes or previous shows. Hell, it even says it's her if you have subtitles on.

still, for it's faults, it's moving. even the bad corporate stuff.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Also all I do now in between bad lines is just go "that's what shifu said"

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    It was a fun show, still found it more entertaining than half the shows on Netflix, and 90% of shows on syndicated TV. But this was a rushed show, and it's glaringly obvious. It can't make up its mind if it wants to be a set up for Defenders, or an actual origin story for Iron Fist the vigilante, because it doesn't do either one terribly well. Other than coming to terms with his grief and clearing house in his company, Danny Rand did very little to help New York. The heroin trade was disrupted, but Gao's still around and probably still has the formula. And Danny NEEDS a costume, and it's silly that wasn't taken care of at all. He's a billionaire that was on the cover of People Magazine, for Christ's sake. A hoodie doesn't cut it!

I don' think Danny did any real damage
    against the Hand. What did he do? He destroyed one drug lab in New York with the help of the Hatchet Men. He destroyed one drug lab in China. He captured Madame Gao, who was then captured by Bakuto. He helped Harold and Joy cut off the Hand's access to Rand's resources. He defeated Bakuto.

OK, so what's to stop the Hand from coming back the day after Danny leaves to put the screws to the Meachums again? Bakuto's death didn't matter since he wasn't a top leader and they can just bring him back. All the Hand's lower level followers are still around. Those assassins in the tournament are still around. Bakuto's teenagers with attitude have probably just been moved to another compound. There's absolutely no safeguard preventing the Hand from doing to Ward and Joy what they did to Harold. And we already know that Gao is free by the end so they're right back to where they started.
    Yeah, I think after having a night to digest everything, my biggest gripe is the story feels like it's missing an ending. It's not a Hero's Journey, it's not an origin story... it's Danny getting played by literally every person in the show, and then it STOPS before anything meaningful actually happens. Danny barely grows, and through 90% of the show is treated like an angry idiot... because that's kinda what he is. It's not that fun to watch, and nothing changes even when he comes to terms with his anger. It took the Angry Warrior Monk trope and forgot to do anything with it other than make the Monk look stupid.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I am a little sad that when I watch the show, I'm unimpressed with the action scenes. Then I see some animated gif or something and I realize just how many things he is doing at once when he fights. They really could have maybe benefited from some cheesy slo-mo shots.

This is why I like it when they go to the wide, long shots. Because that's definitely a touchstone from the comics. The classic Iron Fist finisher is, obviously, the Iron Fist. The classic mid-fight pose, though, is parrying one dude with his arms and kicking another dude. I was always really happy to see that worked in to the show as a shout out, like Daredevil's richochet shots and leaping double axehandle and Luke Cage dressed to the nines and strutting through gunfire.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Gao even said in the first season of DD that she didn't care about the heroin when her plant was destroyed. That implies there's some other reason for selling the drugs.

That's right. So 3 seasons of a plot we know is a diversion. I wish they'd reveal something already, it's making the Hand tedious.

What are you talking about, they did reveal something, a whole lot of somethings.
    Season 1 Daredevil didn't make it clear Madam Gao was The Hand, now we know she is, and not only that Nobu is not the only immortal, not by a long shot. So, in season 1 of Daredevil, Madam Gao was full on playing Kingpin because he definitely treated her as being separate from Nobu. Turns out, they were just factions of the same organization. Hell, chances are pretty good at this point that any of the leadership and their best ninjas/assassins/fighters are all fucking immortal. So we have some idea that there is at least 3 distinct factions to The Hand. Sprinkle on to that, that Madam Gao's and Bakuto's seemed to reveal that the pool of potential recruits is not just those of asian descent, but drawn from world wide - good luck trying to identify The Hand by ethnicity. Seems like the potential is there that the The Hand have a faction in just about every region, so Nobu (now Elektra?) and Madam Gao's factions were just making moves on Bakuto's territory this whole time during the events of Daredevil's seasons, essentially Japan and Chinese The Hand made a deal with Kingpin (and poisoned that deal from the outset) and moved on Bakuto's assets because they wanted powerful artifacts related to immortality and super soldiers so they could control even more from the shadows. We've also seen how they do their 'community outreach' to recruit young, probably how Nobu had a kid that Elektra offs working for him, just some cult indoctrinated kid from his region. Their hard on for Kun Lun is just another iron in the fire for them in their pursuit to rule from the shadows, another potential source of super soldier nonsense. They are kinda no different than Hydra in that respect, wonder if they worship some nasty entity from another dimension too...

MCU is just rife with secret organizations each trying to develop an ultimate soldier, eh?

That is a whole lot of what the Hand is, not motive. Why do they sell heroin? Why are we still watching them sell heroin when they told us from the start they don't give a shit about heroin?
    I would bet money that their goal is to destroy K'un Lun and the other capitals of Heaven because whatever immortal bullshit they pulled damned their souls.
    Or some other mystical mumbo jumbo, whatever, but they obviously have some ethos, some guiding need, that we haven't seen. All we've learned for certain over 3 seasons of shows is that it's not heroin. The details about how the Hand operates, their corporate structure, doesn't move the needle at all.

I get the feeling like The Hand has about the same motivations and level of planning as The League of Shadows in the Batman movies.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Ep 11
    Danny: I get it. What I did was selfish and wrong.

Nope, no character growth here. Nosiree.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Also, this show is called Iron Fist not The Corporate Drama of Rand Enterprises.

It's both. His connection to the Rand corporation is an important part of his character and seemingly a huge reason he came back in the first place.

A lot of the show is built on the way his two sides (Danny Rand and The Iron Fist) completely clash with one another.

• Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    The way he's dressed does a really good job of underscoring how out of place he is in all those scenes. Then when he gets his feet under him doing hero stuff he ditches the jacket and tie and literally rolls up his sleeves.

Like a lot of things about the show, it's clear someone put some thought and effort into those specific details, they just didn't all come together the way they probably ought to have.

Joy's wardrobe in particular is great at telling the story of her arc through the series.

Even when he's in a suit he wears it badly and the style is just completely different from everyone else's style.

• Options
    I think the hand is just factionalized enough that it's hard to make sense of them at this point. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

Remember that in Daredevil
    Gao wasn't pushing the contact high super heroin, just the regular stuff. She didn't really seem to give a shit about that operation at the time, which might be because it was mostly a side gig or because she was just lying to save face or manipulate.

The Hand is the kind of enemy that loses a lot of power once watchers understand them. So I get why they're dolling out info in tiny chunks and dropping false trails.

• Options
    I didn't think that
    (Episode 6):
    Gao was part of the Hand. I mean, that's not the way DD S1 or S2 showed it. So I don't know what is going on here. Hopefully it's misdirection.

Also
    (Episode 7):
    How do they kick him off the board if he has a controlling share?

• Options
    I really want to like the guy playing Danny, but I keep coming back to him being the weakest part of any scene he's in. He gets completely rolled by most of the supporting cast in terms of holding my interest, and he needs a few more years learning his basics before he can convincingly fight scene on the regular.

Hopefully he'll get into more of a groove for Defenders.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Also
    (Episode 7):
    How do they kick him off the board if he has a controlling share?
    This is actually something that happens in Iron Man, if you'll remember. Laws for CEOs and shareholders are written to allow for that, as a means of protection in case one single person goes batty. No one person can just have unbridled power. The only way that would be possible is if the company were private, like Valve.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    My wife liked and disliked the psychiatry ward stuff.
    Episode 2 spoilers
    Some standard negative psych tropes in those scenes, tropes that hopefully one day will die a painful death like the beefy orderly forcing pills into Danny, having him completely strapped by the word of the Meechum's alone.
    The scene where the doc confronts Danny with the passport and basically accuses him of being this other guy, not the best way to reach your patient.

She did like the fact the he called Joy and got collateral on the circus story , that is something Psychiatrists do frequently. My wife had a case where a gal who was manic or something was in hospital and was claiming she was a princess of island country(no names for obvious reasons) . haha ok crazy lady. Turns out after getting collateral she actually was.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Ep 13
    Madam Gou is completely cold blooded. She's going to get all of her enemies killed from inside her "prison" by essentially manipulating Danny into position.

• Options
    I love Claire so very much.

If she's not essentially main cast in Defenders, it'll be a crime.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Episode 2 spoilers
    Some standard negative psych tropes in those scenes, tropes that hopefully one day will die a painful death like the beefy orderly forcing pills into Danny, having him completely strapped by the word of the Meechum's alone.
    The scene where the doc confronts Danny with the passport and basically accuses him of being this other guy, not the best way to reach your patient.

She did like the fact the he called Joy and got collateral on the circus story , that is something Psychiatrists do frequently. My wife had a case where a gal who was manic or something was in hospital and was claiming she was a princess of island country(no names for obvious reasons) . haha ok crazy lady. Turns out after getting collateral she actually was.

I sort of assumed that
    the psych ward isn't a normal psych ward, but one that the Meachum's and other nefarious individuals use to keep certain individuals out of sight and controlled. The doctor seemed a little too eager to assume everyone was just insanely crazy.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Episode 2 spoilers

I didn't bat an eye at that, despite the negative tropes involved, because I just assumed that this was a Rich Villain Can Buy Anything trope in play. So, OF COURSE, they have a corrupt one of those under their thumb, because that's how they roll.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I remember hearing this and being brought out of the self-centered world the characters inhabit.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I remember hearing this and being brought out of the self-centered world the characters inhabit.

I burst out laughing when I heard that. Really? Seriously? :D

Also, the pizza gag later on.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

It's both. His connection to the Rand corporation is an important part of his character and seemingly a huge reason he came back in the first place.

A lot of the show is built on the way his two sides (Danny Rand and The Iron Fist) completely clash with one another.

No doubt it informs his character. For sure.
    But i dont want HALF the show to be about that, any more than i want half of an Iron Man movie to be about boardroom (more like boredroom amirite?!?)
    drama, or half a Spider Man show to be about classroom stuff. I get that some stuff has to be in there, and i'm 100% ok with that. But this show leaves Danny behind for huge swaths of time and its super annoying. That's not the show i want to see. The show is called Iron Fist, how about we pay attention to how the drama impacts him not how it impacts....well, anyone else really.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Episode 2 spoilers

I didn't bat an eye at that, despite the negative tropes involved, because I just assumed that this was a Rich Villain Can Buy Anything trope in play. So, OF COURSE, they have a corrupt one of those under their thumb, because that's how they roll.

that's what I assumed as well, though as the sneer of contempt appeared on my wife's face I thought about it some more.
    She later quipped "Who is paying for this place again, this is America they don't even have socialized medicine and you want me to believe that there is some mystery corrupt psych ward in the middle of New York?" then "well at least they didn't have a scene where they held him down and gave him ECT"

Its a peeve of hers, rightly so. The media doesn't do a great job of making people be accepting of psychiatry. It like when I see an IT related scene and its all BEEP BOOP BAP HACK THE INTERNETS.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041