As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Raindrop/ [JOB] talk/ Typin' up reports in the hotbox

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I asked baby brother for money and said I was hungry for cocks.

The upside of living in Seattle and working this boring, spiritually unfulfilling assignment.

The sheer amount of grains I've eaten these past two days could hold me straight even if I:/ chugged bacon grease.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry, but I'm missing the connection between asking for money and being hungry for cocks.

• Options
    There is a restaurant across the street from me called Dick's.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Ahhhh, it all makes sense now.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I think it was this thread that talked about melatonin. I got some. Wish me luck getting any sleep tonight before work starts back up tomorrow.

I deserve an extra week of spring break. Mine was entirely filled by being sick.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    So this job popped up in my job hunt today: http://www.verizon.com/about/work/jobs/6501421-outside-plant-engineer

I have the qualifications and I have been hankering to get back to Verizon since they sold us off. I applied and I feel like I'm very qualified for this job, but I am not expecting too much.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular

I might know almost exactly where you work.

Two out of four options make me ask the question, why haven't you come by the Roanoke? It's a coin flip as far as I can tell.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Tonkka wrote: »

I might know almost exactly where you work.

Two out of four options make me ask the question, why haven't you come by the Roanoke? It's a coin flip as far as I can tell.

12 hours, got to get home for tomorrow.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My current task: update the 64-bit Tools installer I built last year with some new tools.

My current problem: They took away the 64-bit PC I built the installer on. I only have a slightly aged 32-bit PC.

As you can imagine, this poses something of a problem in terms of running, testing, and developing for a 64-bit platform.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I don't want to go to work tomorrow

I should quit and open up a doggy day care instead

good idea or greatest idea

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I don't want to go to work tomorrow

I should quit and open up a doggy day care instead

good idea or greatest idea

I know someone who did that. He seems happy.

• Options
    I mean

aside from rent and my fed student loans I have no real bills anymore

so like

I just need a farm or some large chunk of land

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    My current task: update the 64-bit Tools installer I built last year with some new tools.

My current problem: They took away the 64-bit PC I built the installer on. I only have a slightly aged 32-bit PC.

As you can imagine, this poses something of a problem in terms of running, testing, and developing for a 64-bit platform.

I don't know much about computers, but can you put another 32-bit pc next to yours and they'll, like, combine to 64-bit??

• Options
    Depending on the system, it can either be a huge pain in the ass, or a simple command line switch for building 64 bit stuff.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Fishman wrote: »

I don't know much about computers, but can you put another 32-bit pc next to yours and they'll, like, combine to 64-bit??

Amusingly, I actually did have another 32-bit dev spec PC on my desk next to this one last week.

They took that one away too.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I really need to get off my ass and work on this certification studying.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    One of the groups who trains helper dogs brings them into where I work do get them accustomed to crowds and chaos
    She told me last night something about me the dogs are curious about forgot all their training

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    They smell your pet coyote, maybe?

sig.gif
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Ugh, it's so stupid that I'm starting to get nervous about this department transfer. I know I can do well, but my crippling fear of fucking up is gnawing at me.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Sleep Update:

I got some sleep. Not nearly enough. Today will be rough.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    So this job popped up in my job hunt today: http://www.verizon.com/about/work/jobs/6501421-outside-plant-engineer

I have the qualifications and I have been hankering to get back to Verizon since they sold us off. I applied and I feel like I'm very qualified for this job, but I am not expecting too much.

Be sure to call out liking working for the company in your cover letter and pull on any company contacts you have. It's WAY easier for a hiring manager if someone already knows company culture and likes it.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    schuss wrote: »

Be sure to call out liking working for the company in your cover letter and pull on any company contacts you have. It's WAY easier for a hiring manager if someone already knows company culture and likes it.

The Verizon application system is pretty restrictive so I can't add any references but I have been putting that I've been trying to get back to Verizon since my dept was sold on every application with them.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    the office manager is upset because she had to attend a conference this weekend

my boss went with her

apparently he wanted to go out to dinner, but she didn't want to (she is the kind of person who only eats like chicken tendies and fries)

take me instead boss man

I will eat some fajitas at the mexican restaurant plz and thx

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

The Verizon application system is pretty restrictive so I can't add any references but I have been putting that I've been trying to get back to Verizon since my dept was sold on every application with them.

Is there a hiring or recruiting contact? Call/email them to see if you can get in touch with the hiring manager saying you used to work at Verizon.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Well I just got home from the talk with our production manager about the job.

I wouldn't be starting training right away; it'd be about a week or so before I get moved. I honestly kind of expected this, so no big deal.

However.

The job terms and duties I was shown in writing the other day have changed. New form, new description, and so on.

1.) The pay raise is off the table. I'd be losing my $1/hour department lead bonus. Period, the end, end of discussion.

2.) I'd be basically handling shipping/receiving on a limited basis on nights. Alone.

3.) While my forklift operator duties would be the priority, I'd be expected to "lend a hand" in departments that need help. Any department. Even ones I'm not trained in.

When the production manager says I'd only have to "lend a hand" for "a little bit", I'm sure he genuinely believes it. However, I know full well that's not how my supervisor works. He moves people around willy-nilly, pulling people from one department to start work somewhere else, basically treating people like perfectly interchangeable cogs like at the big box chain stores he used to manage at.

So while on paper the job would be much less stress and a little less work in exchange for losing 20% of my take-home pay per week, in reality my supervisor will want me to finish anything I have to do on a forklift ASAP so he can take me and shove me in <shorthanded department> for the night, possibly even in the role I was in before doing this!

I have a week to decide if I want to keep on going with this, or tell them to shove it.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Things are getting very bad at work. Myself and the two other landscape women (on is only in 2 days) had a meeting today and called the company's partner in, whos in charge of hiring.

Our points were (made by my coworkers) that we are struggling hugely with the workload, that I have been made to take on far more than I should for my level and we're all stressed.

According to the partner, essentially tough, who cares if a graduate is most technically savvy. He doesn't want to prep for when I'm on holiday or leave. Also apparently I shouldn't be stressed, because if I was stressed I'd be in the office later than I am instead of leaving on time some days. And I was also patronisingly told if Im stressed that's just part of the job.

I've worked before, I've had careers, I've had stresses, I'm not a child. (Partner is over 60 and male) My landscape colleagues say it's completely unjustified for this workload to fall on me, it's not normal.

Liiya on
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I don't think that surprises anybody that they've changed their tune.

Sorry.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Aren't you leaving in the fall? I'd what what work your capable of doing in the agreed upon hours and let them worry about the shorting on capacity. About the only thing that you haven't done is document your concerns about the work load being in excess of what one person can done. Just a quick email with those meeting notes or something to safeguard yourself.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »

I wouldn't be starting training right away; it'd be about a week or so before I get moved. I honestly kind of expected this, so no big deal.

However.

The job terms and duties I was shown in writing the other day have changed. New form, new description, and so on.

1.) The pay raise is off the table. I'd be losing my $1/hour department lead bonus. Period, the end, end of discussion.

2.) I'd be basically handling shipping/receiving on a limited basis on nights. Alone.

3.) While my forklift operator duties would be the priority, I'd be expected to "lend a hand" in departments that need help. Any department. Even ones I'm not trained in.

When the production manager says I'd only have to "lend a hand" for "a little bit", I'm sure he genuinely believes it. However, I know full well that's not how my supervisor works. He moves people around willy-nilly, pulling people from one department to start work somewhere else, basically treating people like perfectly interchangeable cogs like at the big box chain stores he used to manage at.

So while on paper the job would be much less stress and a little less work in exchange for losing 20% of my take-home pay per week, in reality my supervisor will want me to finish anything I have to do on a forklift ASAP so he can take me and shove me in <shorthanded department> for the night, possibly even in the role I was in before doing this!

I have a week to decide if I want to keep on going with this, or tell them to shove it.

Well

that's some serious bullshit.

Guess the other shoe finally dropped.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Aren't you leaving in the fall? I'd what what work your capable of doing in the agreed upon hours and let them worry about the shorting on capacity. About the only thing that you haven't done is document your concerns about the work load being in excess of what one person can done. Just a quick email with those meeting notes or something to safeguard yourself.

Yeah I am, and that's a very good point actually. I've got emails I've sent referencing things not getting done because of workload, I'll have to keep a copy.

• Options
    Wow, my last post was gibberish. I often have to page away and come back and finish writing them so I get weird half thoughts or lost words but that was just an impressive level of WTF.

I'm going to go drink some more tea and try and wake up.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Things are getting very bad at work. Myself and the two other landscape women (on is only in 2 days) had a meeting today and called the company's partner in, whos in charge of hiring.

Our points were (made by my coworkers) that we are struggling hugely with the workload, that I have been made to take on far more than I should for my level and we're all stressed.

According to the partner, essentially tough, who cares if a graduate is most technically savvy. He doesn't want to prep for when I'm on holiday or leave. Also apparently I shouldn't be stressed, because if I was stressed I'd be in the office later than I am instead of leaving on time some days. And I was also patronisingly told if Im stressed that's just part of the job.

I've worked before, I've had careers, I've had stresses, I'm not a child. (Partner is over 60 and male) My landscape colleagues say it's completely unjustified for this workload to fall on me, it's not normal.

Hey, partner can fuck right off with that bullshit. If you lose, what, like half the people you had doing a workload and you DON'T expect the folks who are left to be stressed, overworked, and pissed off, you're a complete idiot.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Keeping middle schoolers quiet is like herding cats.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Koro, 20% pay cut is some bullshit

Like you knew, we all knew you would get fucked around

But 20% pay cut? Fuck that

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Oghulk wrote: »

However.

Well

Yeah they're basically keeping koro in the same position he is in now, for less pay.

This production manager probably was, most likely, the architect of this plan, and he probably thinks he's fucking genius too.

bowen on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »

However.

Well

Yeah they're basically keeping koro in the same position he is in now, for less pay.

This production manager probably was the architect of this plan, and he probably thinks he's fucking genius too.

They are altering the deal. Pray they don't alter it further.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Took me a week but I think I've finally adjusted to DST

• Options
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Koro, 20% pay cut is some bullshit

Like you knew, we all knew you would get fucked around

But 20% pay cut? Fuck that

From what Koro said initially at least some of that was less OT which I think he's good with.

Still blows. Especially the part that reads "Be the supervisors slave as he prioritizes his work over yours."

• Options
    The whole thing reads like "how can we give koro less money and make him basically do what he was already doing, and more" ?

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Would the new position offer experience you could leverage to move to a different company in the area?

PSN: jfrofl
This discussion has been closed.