As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad Food Thread] "I'd stick with soylent. Never know what chimera that meat came from..."

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i mostly only get actively snooty about a) machiatos (they should only have foam, not milk) and b) starbucks because hooray australia resisted the imperialist, capitalist american corporation

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Wait, don't we have Starbucks any more?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I like coffee ice cream
    the drink though, I prefer tea

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Alright lemme do my part to get this thread back on track.

A photo documentary of the "bad" "foods" I've discovered over the last few months:

Golden Prosperity Burgers from McDonald's:
    g3aUeBbl.jpg
    Verdict: Didn't eat, can't say

Supposedly a red bean and ??? dessert pie from McDonald's:
    C23qSejl.jpgWtV0slGl.jpg
    Verdict: I'm a red bean ANYTHING addict and these were gross AF, what the hell

NACHO CHEESE FISH N CRISP from BK
    fIgjPP9l.jpg
    Verdict: A braver soul than I (who ate fish) would need to try this

Grape and peach Oreos:
    pXg8rkfl.jpg
    Verdict: C'mon world, what were you THINKING

Funfetti cake Oreos:
    g38eHc4l.jpg
    Verdict: Blech. I didn't photo the green tea ice cream flavored ones that I also bought, though, and those were REAL GOOD

Ahem... "piquancy bittern beef noodle barrel"
    keuyYFCl.jpg
    Verdict: Ate this for dinner one night when we ended up working til 10 PM. Fulfilled primary requirement, that being: it was food

EATEN BY THE DUTCH
    OyHQvrrl.jpg

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Veldrin wrote: »

they still exist, they just didn't get all that big, and honestly it's not like australia actively resisted it or anything

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »

they still exist, they just didn't get all that big, and honestly it's not like australia actively resisted it or anything

Ah ok. I just assumed that they were more a southern thing. We've never had them up here.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I put 4 splenda packets into a liter of coffee and that's how I drink it. However, the beans I use have a pretty strong hazelnut flavor, so the coffee doesn't end up very bitter. And I never understood the point of adding cream to iced coffee. The problem I have with it is that it's really fucking strong, so if I drink more than about half a liter in a day I'll get a pretty bad headache.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    The only coffee I've really enjoyed were the cups of probably cheap instant coffee brewed up by my grandparents with a ton of milk and sugar dumped in them so that it became a coffee-flavored sweet drink, when I was a small child visiting them. Actually that's probably where my love of coffee ice cream comes from, now that I think about it.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    aw man i got into coffee on school cadets camping trips when you'd just pour a bunch of instant coffee and drinking chocolate and condensed milk milk into some water that'd you'd boiled over a fire

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

Really? I haven't seen one since they shut the one at Sydney international

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

Really? I haven't seen one since they shut the one at Sydney international

there's still one in the cbd, next to hyde park. Might be some more in other places? they're not exactly common, tho

• Options
    According to le internet, after an initial humiliating total failure where they shut them all down, they're quietly trying to sneak back in. There's now 11 in Sydney.

Not really sure how to feel about that.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    According to le internet, after an initial humiliating total failure where they shut them all down, they're quietly trying to sneak back in. There's now 11 in Sydney.

Not really sure how to feel about that.

huh, i swear that that hyde park one has been there since i was in high school, but i could easily have missed the that.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    for my morning coffee i make this
    French-Market-CC-City-1216oz-Cans~vo.jpg

and put this in it.
    choc-caramel-product.png

helluva lot better and smoother tastes than anything starbucks has. Doesn't matter what I order from them its always got this chalky slag aftertaste

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Honestly, those grape-and-peach Oreos look and sound really interesting, wish they'd bring them over here

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Whoops wrong thread... he realizes 3 hours later.

Falx on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    The best coffee is the coffee you enjoy the most someone else pays for.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    for my morning coffee i make this
    French-Market-CC-City-1216oz-Cans~vo.jpg

and put this in it.
    choc-caramel-product.png

helluva lot better and smoother tastes than anything starbucks has. Doesn't matter what I order from them its always got this chalky slag aftertaste

I can't speak to the creamer, but that chicory coffee is excellent.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Coffee exists totally outside of my world.

I have had one sip of it in my entire life, and that was before my severe acid reflux disease showed up (and later compounded with my severe lactose intolerance).

So now it is just this thing that everyone does and everyone has an opinion and I'm just the dude eating an apple.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    If you're not drinking coffee using water from the same source as your beans, you might as well not bother.</s>

Earlier comments about macchiatos is right; espresso and foam only. Flat whites are decent too.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    You know what's good and brings this thread back to bad food; the Tim Horton's Iced Cappuccino.

I usually get them to use chocolate milk as a base instead of the 18% coffee cream they normally use.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I was a regular at Starbucks (so, once a week) the one year they had a summer drink that was essentially a banana milkshake with espresso shots in it. It was way too sweet but I am a sucker for artifical banana flavoring.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    starbucks is good for dessert and treats and such but their coffee is way over-roasted for me

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Starbucks coffee ain't that great, yeah

Their fancy drinks are pretty okay, although I gotta mentally classify them as desserts and not like, coffee drinks, because they're way too sweet for me

But I honestly only even drink those while like, waiting to board a plane, 'cause I've got plenty of other coffee places I'd rather support in my general vicinity

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    starbucks is good for dessert and treats and such but their coffee is way over-roasted for me

Starbucks is not good for dessert and treats and such. The only way they get the shelf life they need on that stuff is by using a ton of vegetable oil in place of butter, and you can taste the difference immediately in any kind of side by side comparison. I taste the oil any time I try something from Starbucks.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »

Starbucks is not good for dessert and treats and such. The only way they get the shelf life they need on that stuff is by using a ton of vegetable oil in place of butter, and you can taste the difference immediately in any kind of side by side comparison. I taste the oil any time I try something from Starbucks.

when I say "desserts and treats" I'm talking about their blended drinks and lattes and the like

• Options
    I really like cakes made with vegetable oil.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I used to get a ton of free Starbucks food in college, 'cause like, I'd know a bunch of baristas and they'd just bring home like, a crate full of shitty salads

None of it was particularly good, but I mean, shit, I ate out of the trash in college, it's a step up from somewhere

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Coffee was always a nonstarter for me because caffeine doesn't amp me up like other people. It has a calming effect, helps me concentrate, but it won't keep me going through the night. Couple that with my thinking that coffee tastes vile unless it's sugared way the hell up and I'm the odd duck in the office.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Why does being at the dentist office make me hungry

I guess I would be eating a post work snack if I wasn't here

And my appointments are always after work

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Jedoc wrote: »
    For some reason, and for the first time in years, I thought about meatloaf. And so I made one.

Kind of a weird food, yeah? Had any lately?

Try making it with 1/3 ground beef 1/3 ground pork and 1/3 ground veal. (and the standard croutons/diced veggies and seasoning). the veal really gives it a nice kick. Don't forget to slather it in katchup before baking.

Also, about getting it to cook through. what i usually do is take the 'loaf', cut it in half, and turn it into two steak sized patties. it cooks all the way through and more surface area for katchup.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    here is what I do for meatloaf

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/my-favorite-meatloaf/

except I skip the bacon and I put it in a loaf pan; I also use the leanest ground beef available (which if you are doing a freestanding loaf as she does you can use the cheaper, fattier kind since the fat will be draining away) and I do half ground beef and half ground turkey

lastly, I like to add some more vegetation to the loaf, which you are free to skip: minced onion, garlic, and carrot

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    here is what I do for meatloaf

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/my-favorite-meatloaf/

except I skip the bacon and I put it in a loaf pan; I also use the leanest ground beef available (which if you are doing a freestanding loaf as she does you can use the cheaper, fattier kind since the fat will be draining away) and I do half ground beef and half ground turkey

lastly, I like to add some more vegetation to the loaf, which you are free to skip: minced onion, garlic, and carrot

Skip the garlic?
    Do you know what thread you're in?

• Options
    some people don't like it

also the recipe doesn't call for it which I was like ??????? when I first noticed

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I should make my meatloaf recipe again soon.

Just the standard mix (ground beef, eggs, breadcrumbs), but I make a sofrito, and mix that in. Form them into single sized dome shapes, and wrap two pieces of bacon around each one.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I've cooked Chef John's "Prison Style" meatloaf and enjoyed it greatly, but I enjoy that style of meatloaf
    https://youtu.be/5_mNozo4yqM

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Reminds you of home?

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    I've cooked Chef John's "Prison Style" meatloaf and enjoyed it greatly, but I enjoy that style of meatloaf
    https://youtu.be/5_mNozo4yqM

Well I know what I'm making for dinner tomorrow night.

But I might white trash it up and swap the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese for Parmesan flavored Cheez-Its.

This discussion has been closed.