As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wiring up a Wireless connection or somehow improving a PS4's connection?

21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short![They/Them]Registered User regular
edited March 2017 in Help / Advice Forum
Hiya, H/A.

I got a PS4 today and I am getting really slow download speeds. Like, about 1MBPS

Thing is, my PC gets way better speeds (About 12 MBPS) with the same wireless network.

Now, I don't have access to the router since i'm using the building's WiFi, so I'm not sure how to improve the connection on the PS4.

it's a PS4 Pro in case that changes anything?

So, is there some way to, like, share the speed i get with my Desktop PC's speed with the PS4? My PC has a network card that works pretty well.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: According to the "Test Internet Connection" screen on my PS4, i have a download speed of 15.1 MBPS.

Not sure why the actual speed is under 1MBPS, now.

21stCentury on

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    PSN download speeds kind of suck generally. Are you getting good performance as far as video streaming?

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    Is the PS4 in the same room as your computer? Could it be a signal strength issue?

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Basar wrote: »
    Is the PS4 in the same room as your computer? Could it be a signal strength issue?

Same room, in fact, it's right next to it.

signal Strength is 100% according to the PS4 connection test.

I think it's basically that i'm getting bottlenecked by Sony's CDN for some reason.

No clue if I can fix that. :(

• Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    Your slow speed is likely coming from Sony's end, not your PS4. I have a fibre optic connection, and my PS4 is wired into my LAN, but I almost never see speeds anywhere close to my capacity when downloading games, and what I get from Sony can vary quite a lot. Same goes for downloading on my PC via Steam.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Sometimes pausing and resuming the download resets it. Also, sometimes using a different DNS in the Network settings (like Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) sends you to a better connection. It's a crapshoot.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Sometimes pausing and resuming the download resets it. Also, sometimes using a different DNS in the Network settings (like Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) sends you to a better connection. It's a crapshoot.

The google DNS was the second thing I tried, after pause=resume.

I also tried restarting the console a couple times..

• Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    Sounds like it's Sony's end, not yours; they're sending it to you slowly, you're not receiving it slowly.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The PS4 also tends to download faster when it's in sleep mode. But you're mostly at the whim of Sony's CDN, here. :\

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Cool, thanks for clearing that up, guys.

PS4, come for the games, stay for the existential despair of knowing that you are at the whim of a force more powerful than you are.