As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Spider-Man 3 Discussion Thread

ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Graphic Violence
*Please note, this is a Geebs-approved thread. Thanks, Geebs, you're hot.*

Spider-Man 3 - Opening in the U.S. on Friday, May 4th

spiderman3-poster.jpg

Rotten Tomatoes "Tomatometer" as of 5/3: 65%
Previous Spidey flick Tomato scores: 90% (203 reviews) for Spidey 1, 93% (228 reviews) for Spidey 2

Meta Critic score as of 5/3: 60/100
Previous Spidey flick Meta Critic scores: 73/100 (37 reviews) for Spidey 1, 83/100 (41 reviews) for Spidey 2

With Spider-Man 3 just around the corner, I thought it would make sense to make a thread dedicated to its discussion. And so I did. So as to not completely gunk up the OP, you can feel free to read more about it on the Spider-Man 3 Wikipedia entry, or check out the film's official website, which is linked earlier in this fabulous little blurb.

Some clips, courtesy of Rotten Tomatoes
. Includes some Gwen on Mary Jane action, Spidey saving a screaming women during a construction catastrophe, and Eddie Brock's first transformation.

- -

So, I thought the first movie was alright, thought the second was great, and hope to see the third one continue this upward trend. I've already bought my ticket for Thursday night's midnight show, and I'm pretty excited to say the least. While I am a fan of the Spider-Man comics (though I haven't read much Ultimate), I can acknowledge that these movies simply aren't going to be the same sort of thing as Sin City, and I can view them as separate but wholly entertaining entities. I do not expect that Gwen will really get the characterization or screen time she deserves (really, she should've replaced MJ in the first movie), but I plan to not shit my pants over it in favor of, hopefully, enjoying the movie. Raimi is a pretty swell guy.

Now. Discuss.

pygsig.png
Zeromus on

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm pretty pumped for this. I really didn't like the first one, thought that too much of the movie was just laughable. He shoots a web in the middle of his high school cafeteria, everyone points and laughs, yet nobody questions what the hell happened. He does a tripple backflip in a school fight, which was just retarded. The second one was way better than the first, though Peter enjoyed whipping his mask off way too much. I went to see Spider-man, not Tobey Maguire. This one just seems like it's going to be a fun movie with a ton of fighting, hopefully missing a lot of the drama that were in the first two.

On an unrelated note, love the sig and avatar. Patch rocks.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sorry, but I liked the drama... it made it into, you know, a story, instead of a Steven Segal movie. I am also pumped for this, although I guess for different reasons.

Spider-Man 1 and 2 got us away from comic book movies that got by on just a recognizable character and some good action shots... it made having a story and plot a pre-requesite to being a good comic book movie (I'm looking at you, Fantastic Four).

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    DeMoN wrote:
    The second one was way better than the first, though Peter enjoyed whipping his mask off way too much. I went to see Spider-man, not Tobey Maguire.

According to the newsarama review, he takes the mask off a lot in 3

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I thought the "drama" was all very well done in Spider-Man 2. There was meaningful depth that I think is missing from a lot of super hero movies.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The villains made both of the first two films for me, so there's some trepidation with the third since I wouldn't exactly place Topher Grace and the dude from Sideways on the same level as Alfred Molina and William Dafoe. I do think Grace has the perfect look for Eddie Brock (the douchey Peter Parker!), though.

Now that I think about it, Kristen Dunst would have worked better as Gwen Stacy. Aside from the acting career, which was largely incidental to the character in the movie, she was far more of a sweet, girl next door than a stunner who should be outside of Peter Parker's league. And of course, now that Gwen's been introduced, I'm sure she'll have nothing in common with the Gwen from the comics. How could she, unless she was in high school?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Topher Grace and Thomas Hayden Church are pretty awesome, dude.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    the plot looks alot like the revenge of the sith movie! they both turn into a badguy while trying to do something good.in the trailer he says somthing about the new power feeling good which sounds just like when anakin starts getting addicted to his new power.

Well shit.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote:
    The second one was way better than the first, though Peter enjoyed whipping his mask off way too much. I went to see Spider-man, not Tobey Maguire.

This won't bother me if it's done fairly well. Though it often happened in the comics, I still enjoyed it when a villain would get the better of him and unmask him. In the second one, his mask starts to burn, so he whips it off and completely forgets that he doesn't have a mask. It was a little understandable considering he was preoccupied with saving a train full of people, but it still bugged me. And I would have preferred if he had kicked Doc Ock's ass instead of saying "Look, it's me!".

And the drama does make him more of identifiable character, I just think there's too much of it.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    I like how Peter loses his mask all the goddamn time in Ultimate Spider-Man

and he's always like "fuck i don't have my mask on do i"

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Zeromus wrote: »

I've only seen them in light comedies, Traffic, and the afore-mentioned Sideways. Nothing that would really allow a person to show off his talent.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I've only seen them in light comedies, Traffic, and the afore-mentioned Sideways. Nothing that would really allow a person to show off his talent.

Except, you know, that Thomas Hayden Church was nominated for an Academy Award for Sideways.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Then clearly you never saw the episode of Wings where Lowels wife tries to sleep with Brian...

That was true depth and emotion thomas hayden church showed there.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Except, you know, that Thomas Hayden Church was nominated for an Academy Award for Sideways.

And I'm sure Halle Berry will make an excellent Storm and Catwoman.

Perhaps I should have said range rather than talent. As good as he was in Sideways in that particular role, that role was still an anomaly in the otherwise embarrassing filmography of a man who actually seemed right at home playing the bad guy in George of the Jungle.

And I've missed anything he's done since Sideways, so I don't know if the following performances were awesome and indicative of skill on par with Molina and Dafoe.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Perhaps I should have said range rather than talent. As good as he was in Sideways in that particular role, that role was still an anomaly in the otherwise embarrassing filmography of a man who actually seemed right at home playing the bad guy in George of the Jungle.

And I've missed anything he's done since Sideways, so I don't know if the following performances were awesome and indicative of skill on par with Molina and Dafoe.

Your first point is well-taken. :D

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've been waiting for this movie since 2 AM on June 30, 2002. Thursday seriously can't come soon enough.

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The first two were great fun, and the third looks awesome as well.

The only big problem I have is this : they've perfectly captured how shitty Peter's life is sometimes, especially in comparison to how awesomely fun it is to be Spider-Man most of the time. But, they haven't captured Spidey. Besides him constantly taking the mask off, he's too serious. I think he made one wise-crack in the entire second movie, and it was a really lame joke as well.

With the whole emo-black-suit thing, I don't think he's going to be getting any funnier...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've been reading a bunch of reviews and posts on the net and I can't get over how a lot of ppl can rate Spider-man 2 over Spider-man 1. I haven't seen the extended cut, but from the version I own, I find SM2 inferior to SM1 in terms of combining the action and drama. In relation to SM3, many people have said it uses the same formula in SM2, and to me that's not exactly saying much

SM2 focused too much of Peter's civilian life, and not enough of his life as a costumed hero; which for me was pretty boring. Also, despite being dressed like a power ranger, the Green Goblin was actually evil and put real thought into his schemes. Doc Ock on the other hand seemed to do stuff just for the sake of it, without any thought (kidnapping MJ). I also found the musical score to be a little off and didn't set the mood properly in some scenes.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Heatwave wrote: »
    I've been reading a bunch of reviews and posts on the net and I can't get over how a lot of ppl can rate Spider-man 2 over Spider-man 1. I haven't seen the extended cut, but from the version I own, I find SM2 inferior to SM1 in terms of combining the action and drama. In relation to SM3, many people have said it uses the same formula in SM2, and to me that's not exactly saying much

SM2 focused too much of Peter's civilian life, and not enough of his life as a costumed hero; which for me was pretty boring. Also, despite being dressed like a power ranger, the Green Goblin was actually evil and put real thought into his schemes. Doc Ock on the other hand seemed to do stuff just for the sake of it, without any thought (kidnapping MJ). I also found the musical score to be a little off and didn't set the mood properly in some scenes.

The only thing that really bothered me about Doc Ock was this line of thinking

"Okay, to get the thing I need I gotta bring Spider-man to Harry. I have no fucking clue where Spider-man is, but I'll make Peter Parker tell me where he is. I better throw a car at him to get his attention."

I wish they'd do better at Spidey being quippy. They need to hire Bendis to write mid-battle dialogue for Spidey.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Like you wouldn't cave to the demands of the man who threw a car at you.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I wouldn't, because I don't have spider-reflexes to get out of the way in that split second :)

DeVryGuy on
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Heatwave wrote: »

Wow, that entire second paragraph didn't make very much sense at all. If you've read any Spidey comics, you'd know one of the biggest focuses of the comic is Peter's civilian life. All of the biggest moments in the Spider-Man mythos impact Peter's personal life, such as Uncle Ben's death, Gwen's death, and May's recent shooting. Spider-Man is built on Peter Parker and his personal life. As for Norman being evil, it's not so much evil intentions than him being completely fucking crazy. In fact, most of his "evil deeds" mainly had to do with furthering his own goals than making Peter miserable. Also, i would hardly call attacking the board in broad daylight with thousands of witnesses great planning. Ock, on the other hand, kidnapped MJ because, A) he was going slightly insane, and B) to make sure Peter did what was told of him. As for the music, i honestly felt it was virtually exactly the same. The train scene from SM2 had a different composer do the music that made it into the movie, and if you hear the Danny Elfman version, it adds alot more to the scene.

Anyway, you're allowed to like the first movie over the second one, but your reasons for doing so are pretty weak.

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    DeVryGuy wrote: »

I wouldn't, because I don't have spider-reflexes to get out of the way in that split second :)

Oh, yeah.

Maybe it was a really well-aimed car?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Spider-Man really should be more of a wise ass in the movies. Part of the character is that he gains utmost confidence when he's out being a super hero.

If there's one thing that really irks me in terms of the lack of continuity between the comics and the movies, it's that.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Spider-Man really should be more of a wise ass in the movies. Part of the character is that he gains utmost confidence when he's out being a super hero.

If there's one thing that really irks me in terms of the lack of continuity between the comics and the movies, it's that.

He starts off good fighting Doc Ock in the bank with "Here's your change!" but spends most of the rest of the time grunting and screaming.

I mean, Ultimate Spidey prepared a list of fat jokes to say to the kingpin.

DeVryGuy on
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I loved that.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

Are you trying to say something negative about George of the jungle here?

Because I will murder everything you love if you are.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »

I hate George of the Jungle because it sucks.

But I also love it.

Now what are you going to do?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

But I also love it.

Murder half of the things you love.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Did I also mention I love you?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

But I also love it.

Enjoy your parapalegic parents I guess...
    Poor half-dead dog rolling around on spinners.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    see317 wrote: »

But I also love it.

Enjoy your parapalegic parents I guess...
    Poor half-dead dog rolling around on spinners.

That would be half murdering everything he loves.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    so their new round of commercials have a LOT of venom in them.

Angry on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I still don't know how they are gonna be able to pace a movie with 3 villains in it and still give everyone the credit and development they deserve.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Venom's one of those things that'll probably work better than he did in the comics. Expensive CG does things with his appearance that art never could and, unless he returns for each of the next three films and refuses to do anything new, lack of character growth and general boredom with the concept will never really become an issue.
    Nogs wrote: »
    I still don't know how they are gonna be able to pace a movie with 3 villains in it and still give everyone the credit and development they deserve.

I imagine that Harry will get as much screen time as he got in the last film, only with a giant fight taking place where there would have formerly been only standing around or being drunk.

Sandman, meanwhile, is clearly the nice looking second fiddle. Just think of him as taking the place of the introductory fights with the big villain where Spider-Man gets his ass kicked, only this time the villain is offed before the final showdown.

Venom's introduction will likely lead directly to the last confrontation of the film. There can't be a prelude to a fight against Venom, because the first fight wouldn't stop until one of the two died.

Basically, one villain occupies as much space as he did when he wasn't a villain while the two other villains divide the time usually reserved for only one villain.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote:

God damn it! Fuck you Hollywood! Fuck you in your glittery ass!

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm surprised that noone seems bothered by the fact that apparently Sandman was actually the guy responsible for Uncle Ben's death, not Random-Thug-That-Peter-Could-Have-Stopped-But-Didn't-Bother.

I mean, I have no problem with the movies deviating from the comics, but that seems to pretty much neutralise his entire reason for being Spidey in the first place.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Virral wrote: »
    I'm surprised that noone seems bothered by the fact that apparently Sandman was actually the guy responsible for Uncle Ben's death, not Random-Thug-That-Peter-Could-Have-Stopped-But-Didn't-Bother.

I mean, I have no problem with the movies deviating from the comics, but that seems to pretty much neutralise his entire reason for being Spidey in the first place.

Do you mean that if it were Sandman that he couldn't have stopped him and would therefore feel fine about not trying to stop the man who went on to kill his Uncle? I don't really think it matters. The fact remains that he was plenty strong, let some dude run off, said dude went on to murder Uncle Ben.

Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It kind of does, but that doesn't mean the lesson learned isn't any less important.

And it's not like he can't feel guilty anymore: he caused the death of that guy who didn't kill his uncle. He's gotta be feeling shitty about that.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2007
    I doubt that Sandman killing Uncle Ben is something that really happened. It's probably misinformation that helps lead to Spidey being kind of dark and assholish when he picks up the symbiote.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Joon wrote: »
    Do you mean that if it were Sandman that he couldn't have stopped him and would therefore feel fine about not trying to stop the man who went on to kill his Uncle? I don't really think it matters. The fact remains that he was plenty strong, let some dude run off, said dude went on to murder Uncle Ben.

No, because a) Sandman only becomes Sandman during the movie, so I assume he was just a normal guy in a fruity shirt when he offed Ben (assuming that he did said offing) and b) the point i'm driving at is that if he let some dude run off and said dude DIDN'T go on to murder Uncle Ben, then it just doesn't have the same impact.

So if it turns out that Random Robber didn't do the killing, but some previously unknown third party (who becomes Sandman in this movie), then Spidey no longer has that guilt motivator which drove him to be a superhero in the first place.
    Olivaw wrote: »
    And it's not like he can't feel guilty anymore: he caused the death of that guy who didn't kill his uncle. He's gotta be feeling shitty about that.

I might be wrong, but I was under the distinct impression from the first movie that he wanted to kill the guy that supposedly did it, but eventually regained control and just knocked him out and left him for the police.

That said, I agree that it probably is just a bait and switch, maybe someone using Spidey's guilt to catch him (and hell, loads of people already know who he is so that would be easy enough). I was just surprised that noone here had even commented on it, thats all.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg