As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Free Comic Book Day - May 5, 2007

• MenaceMenace regular
    edited May 2007
    Menace wrote: »
    that's, uh, that's how it works, is it not?

That's what I assumed, but the way people were talking here made me think some of their shops were doing something different.

individual stores have sales and the like

mine has 25% off all trades and various other percentages off things like shirts, figures, and posters

Menace on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2007
    My regular shop wasn't doing anything for FCBD. They didn't even have the free comics. So I went to another shop, and picked up the Wolf-Man and Spider-Man issues, along with Dark Tower #4 and Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four #1.

Pretty good day.

DJ Eebs on
  • NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wolf-man was alright. I'm hoping it will get better.

Iron Man & Hulk is pretty good.

The Transformers movie prequel comic is alright, nothing spectacular though (cept the art).

Amazing Spider-Man and "Unseen Peanuts" are my favorites though.

Newtron on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    It's a pretty Big Deal in Halifax, and one of the shops here had to rent out a church hall for FCBD. They basically use it as an excuse to get rid of all the comics they know won't sell. They had like 150 people waiting in line at 10:00 this morning when I stopped by, and that was before the hotshot cartoonists were there.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hughtron I can't decide if what you just described is touching or disturbing.

Ahh what the heck, touching it is :)

Caveman Paws on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Today was a damn good day. Picked up Wolf-Man, Spidey and JLofA #0. My shop had a "Buy 1 Back Issue get one of the same value free" deal going, so I picked up any JSofA and Moon Knight I was missing and the first 3 issues of JLofA.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man, I had a pretty good FCBD. I went to three of the four comic shops in town and got hooked up with most of the stuff I wanted, plus I got some copies for my nephew and niece. One of the shops did even better, giving out some older issues that they had in excess stock. Even better, I met a local artist who has had a bit of his art published. Hopefully that'll be a good contact or something, since his art's pretty good.

So anyway, this is what I got:

Spider-Man: Swing Shift
    Painkiller Jane #0
    Shadowflame #1
    Whiteout #1
    Astounding Wolf-Man #1
    Worlds of Aspen Sampler
    Dark Horse Sampler (Umbrella Academy, Zerokiller, Pantheon City)
    Liberty Comics #0
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Love and Capes #4
    Sensational Spider-Man #25

I'm not even finished reading my comics. However, the Marvel stuff was really good. Wolf-Man, I'm still not sure about though. I think I'll give it a few more issues before I make a decision on it.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Swing Shift was really cute, in that innocent goofy throwback way

I love any comic where cake is a subplot

Also this
    spideybuffop9.png

Spoilered cuz huge

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
    edited May 2007
    I really, really like Phil Jimenez's art.

It's like a cleaner George Perez.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited May 2007
    Just a quick question for Swing Shift:
    Jackpot was Mary Jane, right? Or was at least supposed to make us think it was her?

I mean, I've heard something important was supposed to have happened in it, and that's something I can see being brought up again.

DJ Eebs on
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Geebs wrote: »
    Jackpot was Mary Jane, right? Or was at least supposed to make us think it was her?

I mean, I've heard something important was supposed to have happened in it, and that's something I can see being brought up again.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be Mary Jane, "Tiger" being the strongest hint.

I hope it's addressed... sometime in the future

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Seemed like an out of continuity story, though.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited May 2007
    No, it's supposedly in continuity, just set well before Civil War (and apparently JMS's run).

And another hint was
    Her name was Jackpot. As in, "Face it tiger, you just hit the ___"

DJ Eebs on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man, Astounding Wolf-Man was awesome. I love the idea of a yuppie werewolf. Even better was the preview for a new, monthly Brit book.

Spider-Man Swing Shift was pretty good, but I think they could have cut out
    Jackpot and the story wouldn't have suffered at all. Still, it was a fun little throwback to a simpler time for Spidey.

Munch on
    edited May 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Man, Astounding Wolf-Man was awesome. I love the idea of a yuppie werewolf. Even better was the preview for a new, monthly Brit book.

Spider-Man Swing Shift was pretty good, but I think they could have cut out
    Jackpot and the story wouldn't have suffered at all. Still, it was a fun little throwback to a simpler time for Spidey.
    Munch, you think so much like me it scares me a little.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wolf-Man was alright, though nothing really happened

Uh, a guy got turned into Wolf-Man

I mean, I don't know how much you expect to happen with characters you don't even know.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • MenaceMenace regular
    edited May 2007
    Jordyn wrote: »

I mean, I don't know how much you expect to happen with characters you don't even know.

I mean like all he did as Wolf-Man was kill a bunny

which I suppose is pretty cool

but as a person they didn't really talk about anything that much, just kind of his life as a normal dude and him being attacked, but nothing like revealing

I know it's the first issue, but there's nothing really there to encourage reading on

Menace on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The characters don't do much to distinguish themselves, but there aren't many parents of teenagers in comics so that alone may be interesting.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

That's because I'm you, just existing on a different vibrational frequency.
    The characters don't do much to distinguish themselves, but there aren't many parents of teenagers in comics so that alone may be interesting.

Hm, weird. It really intrigued me. I mean, the protagonist is sort of atypical, being a happily married man and father, the wife actually had personality (the little jabs about smoking, the pretending to be asleep when bored by her husband), and the daughter isn't an angsty teen. I think the protagonist's relationship with his wife really drew me in too. It had that sort of Ralph and Sue Dibny-like, believable interplay. Too many comics have supporting characters that feel more like props than characters, so this is kind of fresh to me.

Yeah it would have been cool to see him immediately go out and fight a supervillain or something, but Invincible started out with this same kind of slow pace, building the characters' personalities before delving into the superheroics, so I'm confident that Kirkman will deliver the goods by the time the first arc's wrapped up.

I have to be honest though, mysterious bearded guy kind of made me roll my eyes.

Munch on
  • MenaceMenace regular
    edited May 2007
    yeah, I mean the characters seem fairly interesting and stuff

the series could be pretty good, but the free comic was pretty meh

though it was free so whatever, it was worth reading for free

Menace on
  • MenaceMenace regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm interested to see how they deal with the fact that he only changes on the full moon

I assume the guy at the end will teach him how to control it or something

Menace on
    edited May 2007
    Munch wrote: »

That's because I'm you, just existing on a different vibrational frequency.

Hm, weird. It really intrigued me. I mean, the protagonist is sort of atypical, being a happily married man and father, the wife actually had personality (the little jabs about smoking, the pretending to be asleep when bored by her husband), and the daughter isn't an angsty teen. I think the protagonist's relationship with his wife really drew me in too. It had that sort of Ralph and Sue Dibny-like, believable interplay. Too many comics have supporting characters that feel more like props than characters, so this is kind of fresh to me.

Yeah it would have been cool to see him immediately go out and fight a supervillain or something, but Invincible started out with this same kind of slow pace, building the characters' personalities before delving into the superheroics, so I'm confident that Kirkman will deliver the goods by the time the first arc's wrapped up.

I have to be honest though, mysterious bearded guy kind of made me roll my eyes.
    You wanna be Earth-4 me, or should I be Earth-4 me?

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I was kinda dissapointed by Wolf-Man. It just feels really dated to me. Maybe that's what Kirkman was going for, but it just didn't click with me.

noir_blood on
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Redeemer wrote: »
    Geebs wrote: »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be Mary Jane, "Tiger" being the strongest hint.

I hope it's addressed... sometime in the future

I was about to come into this thread and ask about this
    MJ's wiki entry says absolutely nothing about it. Hell, we don't even know Jackpot's powers yet

is it possible that she is like black cat, except with good luck instead of bad?

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My LCS had the best FCBD ever, except that we could only take 2 of the major releases. I got Man-wolf and Spider-man, but my roommate's birthday was today, so I gave him Spidey and now I might not be able to read it for a while. I then proceeded to buy 52 49-52 w/WW3, Spirit #4, Punisher War Journal(Stilt-man's funeral), Immortal Iron Fist 1 director's cut, and 3 Cable and Deadpools. I spent 51 dollars.

Dex Dynamo on
    edited May 2007
    Also, the girl and guy behind the counter were wearing harley and joker makeup respectively, and the shop(The Laughing Ogre in Columbus) is huge and clean and welcoming and probably among the better shops I've been to. It was great.

Dex Dynamo on
    edited May 2007
    I saw a few issues of 52, mostly in the thirties, but I didn't buy them because it was too late

also I bought Kingdom Come

holy shit

Scrumtrulescent on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Jordyn wrote: »

I mean like all he did as Wolf-Man was kill a bunny

which I suppose is pretty cool

but as a person they didn't really talk about anything that much, just kind of his life as a normal dude and him being attacked, but nothing like revealing

I know it's the first issue, but there's nothing really there to encourage reading on

uhhh, that night at the hospital, didn't he maybe
    kill that dude?

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • MenaceMenace regular
    edited May 2007
    oh hey, he did

you've won this round Jordyn

Menace on
  • MavinashMavinash Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Was going to say...

Mavinash on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I saw a few issues of 52, mostly in the thirties, but I didn't buy them because it was too late

holy shit

Is that "holy shit" as in "Holy shit why didn't you guys tell me Kingdom Come was awesome?" Because we did. Like a million times.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited May 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »

holy shit

Is that "holy shit" as in "Holy shit why didn't you guys tell me Kingdom Come was awesome?" Because we did. Like a million times.

No Holy Shit as in Holy shit, this is totally awesome. Like more awesomer than I expected

yeah

I said awesomer

it's that awesome

Scrumtrulescent on
    edited May 2007

holy shit

Buy the 52 trades when they come out.

It'll be worth it.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »

holy shit

Buy the 52 trades when they come out.

It'll be worth it.

Trades? Trades?? Be a man damnit.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Is 52 really all that worth it other than a few sweet moments?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Is 52 really all that worth it other than a few sweet moments?

Yes.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    52 has a ton of rad moments. The Kate Kane storyline was lame but pretty much everything else rocked.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Magus DarkstarMagus Darkstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Magus Darkstar on
    edited May 2007
    If you didn't already buy the singles of 52, I'd suggest holding out for the trades.

DJ Eebs on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That's what I plan on doing.

Though I am going to be reading Countdown because fuck, I hate having a week in my pull list where there is nothing.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg