As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Idea for a short film

arcticmonkeysfanarcticmonkeysfan Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So here's my situation. I'm doing a project for my Grade 11 Communication Technology class. I need to make a short film probably around 10 to 15 minutes in length. It can be about anything and is probably going to be not very serious/humorous not really something artsy or anything. I'm working in a group of 6 people (5 guys, 1 girl) and we all need pretty equal acting parts in it. Problem is, I can't come up with any good ideas. It needs to be something not terribly complex. I was wondering if any of you guys had any suggestions (no video game/anime/nerdy stuff parodies please cause the other people I'm working with wouldn't really get it).

arcticmonkeysfan on

• Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    do a film noir with the atypical down on his luck detective in a crumby office who smokes and wheres a nifty fedora hat and an overcoat w/ scarf. Have it mostly set at night, have a bombshell female client coming in at the end of the day and offer lots of money for some crazy case. You can have the main character do a voice over narration that comes across as his thought as he goes through the film. Do it in black and white obviously and maybe have the client or the detective get shot at the end and fade to black as they lose conscientiousness.

Also you a lot of puns/cliches and hip dialog from the 30s

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    arcticmonkeysfanarcticmonkeysfan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah...we're definitely not that skilled.

arcticmonkeysfan on
  • Options
    Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    rockmonkey wrote: »
    do a film noir with the atypical down on his luck detective in a crumby office who smokes and wheres a nifty fedora hat and an overcoat w/ scarf. Have it mostly set at night, have a bombshell female client coming in at the end of the day and offer lots of money for some crazy case. You can have the main character do a voice over narration that comes across as his thought as he goes through the film. Do it in black and white obviously and maybe have the client or the detective get shot at the end and fade to black as they lose conscientiousness.

I second this idea. They always seem to come out looking half-way cool, and are easier than you think to do.

If anything go into a field grab the nearest cap-guns, and cowboy hats, and start shooting a pseudo western. hahah.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Find a short story you like and film it or a segmet of it. I'd recommend something from Vonnegut's Welcome to the Monkey House.

Or does it have to be an original idea?

Fellhand on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Just remember to create a problem / conflict, and then resolve the problem / conflict in 1015. It can be just about anything -- meeting someone, solving something, finding something, going somewhere, achieving something etc. but just establish the conflict in the beginning, then resolve the conflict throughout the film. I don't have too much advice beyond that.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Silent film. The lack of dialogue will make things much easier since no one has to memorize lines.

Munacra on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    rockmonkey wrote: »

Do this idea, except instead of realistic looking guns, have glaringly-out-of-place super soakers as your props. That or nerf guns.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png