As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

installing gubbins (in laptops)

crakecrake Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'd like to upgrade my video card and ram on my new laptop. (I needed the laptop right away, but didn't have the money to pay for the extra "oomph" at the time)

Firstly, I've done some research on what graphics card to go for, but I can't seem to figure out (online anyway) which are made for laptops and which are made for desktops. So how do I tell? Is there even any difference?

Also, are a video card and ram something I can install myself on a laptop? I'm not experienced really with installing hardware, but I'm not dumb either. I know about general safety rules to keep static at bay, etc. So could an intelligent person figure it out with minimum risk to the computer, or should I really take this in to an expert?

crake on

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The ram should be fairly easy. You could probably find pretty detailed instructions somewhere. The video card I'm thinking not so much. Where are you looking online? If you go to the manufacturers website, they should tell you which are for laptops and are for desktops.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    KMFurDMKMFurDM Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    What laptop do you have? 99% of laptops do not have upgradable video cards. Generally only the high end "gaming" laptops (oxymoron) have them.

KMFurDM on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    RAM is easy.

In 6 years as a Network/Computer tech I've only ever seen one notebook with upgradable video.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Someone really needs to make a good PCMIA? video card.

Malkor on
  • Options
    KMFurDMKMFurDM Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Not a quick enough interface. ;)

KMFurDM on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Damn their eyes!

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    KMFurDM wrote: »
    What laptop do you have? 99% of laptops do not have upgradable video cards. Generally only the high end "gaming" laptops (oxymoron) have them.

Boh! I didn't know that!!
    It's an HP with an nvidia 6000 series card (6150 I think?)

Oh the humanity!

crake on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I think its on the motherboard :(.

Malkor on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Someone really needs to make a good PCMIA? video card.

ExpressCard might work, but only for an external display. It'd still be pretty bottlenecked, however.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    crake wrote: »
    KMFurDM wrote: »

Boh! I didn't know that!!
    It's an HP with an nvidia 6000 series card (6150 I think?)

Oh the humanity!

Yeah, you're screwed. Not upgradable. Built into the Northbridge chipset, even, so it's not even a separate chip.

I'll sell you my laptop if you'd like. It's got a Radeon 9700 Mobile. Top of the line when I bought it three years ago. Should still handily outperform a GeForce 6150 (as that's the same graphics chip in my girlfriend's desktop). Hell, I'd even trade straight across, if you want.

It also gets 45 minutes of battery life on a good day. A bad graphics chip on a laptop is a blessing in disguise.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Yeah, you're screwed. Not upgradable. Built into the Northbridge chipset, even, so it's not even a separate chip.

Ah well, lesson learned, I guess. I found out about integrated video cards on desktops the hard way too. :D

I was planning to buy another desktop in the winter anyway, so I'll make sure to get my video card jollies there instead.

edit> and I'm not letting you have my brand new laptop!

crake on