As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Late to the party] Freelancer

2»

• Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    KingsHand wrote: »
    here's some discussion of making it widescreen:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=283

but apparently doesn't work too well. I've changed the res in the INI and it isn't very playable because of the HUD. I haven't tried everything suggested on that page though, it's pretty inconclusive.

Yeah, they've been trying to come up with a viable solution for a long time, it seems. That's always the first place I look when I contemplate buying a new game or re-installing an old one, to save myself from potential headaches.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I used to play with a regular resolution on a widescreen, honestly it didn't look very different. Otherwise just use windowed mode.

Personally, it gives me a splitting headache after like fifteen minutes. But then, my laptop supports letterboxing (or rather, windowboxing, but close enough), so it's all good.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'll echo the love for Freelancer. Chris Roberts was the man, and so was Digital Anvil. I loved the Wing Commander games, I loved StarLancer also.

In fact, I still have my discs for all of these and play them from time to time. And yes, the lack of true widescreen is irritating.

The all mouse control really helped to differentiate Freelancer from older space games, in my opinion. It could have been just another clone but it was unique thanks to that and other small touches. I agree though that it was slightly lacking in depth, especially compared to the original design concepts I remember reading about. Didn't the game also go through a number of delays? What's Chris Roberts up to these days anyway?

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    j0hnz3rj0hnz3r Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    brynstar wrote: »
    I'll echo the love for Freelancer. Chris Roberts was the man, and so was Digital Anvil. I loved the Wing Commander games, I loved StarLancer also.

In fact, I still have my discs for all of these and play them from time to time. And yes, the lack of true widescreen is irritating.

The all mouse control really helped to differentiate Freelancer from older space games, in my opinion. It could have been just another clone but it was unique thanks to that and other small touches. I agree though that it was slightly lacking in depth, especially compared to the original design concepts I remember reading about. Didn't the game also go through a number of delays? What's Chris Roberts up to these days anyway?

First of all, Chris Roberts had NOTHING to do with the Freelancer you know now except for creating a massive amount of debt for Digital Anvil by making Wing Commander. It really pisses me off to hear people give Chris Roberts all this glory for Freelancer when he did nothing but sink it into a 6 year dev cycle while siphoning money for the Wing Commander movie. The game that's out there now was rebuilt from the ground up in under two years after Chris has left Digital Anvil. It was made by a completely different team and a completely different design crew.

Secondly, Chris is in LA trying to be a writer/director.

j0hnz3r on
    jedi_watchtower.png
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    God, I missed this game. Fired it up and instantly recognized the music.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    j0hnz3r wrote: »

First of all, Chris Roberts had NOTHING to do with the Freelancer you know now except for creating a massive amount of debt for Digital Anvil by making Wing Commander. It really pisses me off to hear people give Chris Roberts all this glory for Freelancer when he did nothing but sink it into a 6 year dev cycle while siphoning money for the Wing Commander movie. The game that's out there now was rebuilt from the ground up in under two years after Chris has left Digital Anvil. It was made by a completely different team and a completely different design crew.

To his credit, though, his original vision must have left an impression, because (to me at least) it certainly FELT like a Chris Roberts game. And now my longing for a new WC game increases. :P

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    polaris314 wrote: »
    j0hnz3r wrote: »

To his credit, though, his original vision must have left an impression, because (to me at least) it certainly FELT like a Chris Roberts game. And now my longing for a new WC game increases. :P

I agree, it does have the feel of a Chris Roberts game. I'm sorry to hear that he was the direct cause of the massive delay in the development however. I didn't intend to invoke any ire by giving him praise for it, I really didn't know. Thanks for the information!

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Hey there, we don't run this place, but we have an understanding with those that do.

Someone, I think it was Kieron Gillen, once said that the whole generic assemble-a-conversation system, with all those pregnant pauses where the splices went, ended up making it sound like you were some sort of connossieur of illicit sex.

"Hi there. You're...new here."
    "Name's Trent. I hear you're...the man to see."
    "If you've got the right...credentials. Are you...interested?"
    "I might be...for the right price."
    "Good...I thought so."

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    HorsecalledwarHorsecalledwar Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Freelancer was the shit! Get the mod with all the star wars and star trek ships with all the jump holes and the mod with the enemy pilate body contraband running what a riot.

The mouse support was genius -- it made the game pick up and play within 10 minutes. Unlike some space sims rpg's ---

Horsecalledwar on
    BALLS - Is coming home late after a night out with the guys, smelling of beer, lipstick on your collar, slapping your wife on the butt and having the balls to say: You're next, fatty.'
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This game frustrated me when, during huge spacefights, every single enemy fighter (and space station gun, capital ship, etc) would all focus fire on me, even if I had large numbers of allies. Drove me nuts.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This game frustrated me when, during huge spacefights, every single enemy fighter (and space station gun, capital ship, etc) would all focus fire on me, even if I had large numbers of allies. Drove me nuts.

Don't get ahead of your wingmen?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Freelancer runs on my old, dog-ass laptop. <3

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Hey there, we don't run this place, but we have an understanding with those that do.

Someone, I think it was Kieron Gillen, once said that the whole generic assemble-a-conversation system, with all those pregnant pauses where the splices went, ended up making it sound like you were some sort of connossieur of illicit sex.

"Hi there. You're...new here."
    "Name's Trent. I hear you're...the man to see."
    "If you've got the right...credentials. Are you...interested?"
    "I might be...for the right price."
    "Good...I thought so."

That is really, really funny 8-)

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    More space shooters need the Freelancer mouse steering as an option. It was the best thing abut the whole game.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh man, I have an awesome trade route. Buy Detroit Arms, NY System - >Sell at Montazuma Base, Cortez System and buy Cardamine, go to Planet Manhatten and sell cardamine for heap big profit.

tyrannus on