As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dungeons & Dragons Online

AoiAoi Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
Oh god, this should be fun... :lol:

Anyway, I was wandering through my EB recently and saw that they had dropped this down to $15. I know it was a bit of a mess at launch, but I also know that it's a Turbine game, and those guys are the masters of content additions after launch. So I was curious, has anyone given this a try recently, or is anyone actually playing it? Any impressions on launch vs now? Has there actually been much updated with the game since it launched? I didn't hate the beta, but my system wasn't quite up to spec for it to run well, and the word around here scared me off even more once it was launched.

So yeah, any opinions or even groups should I pick it up would be great. Thanks.

Aoi on

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I played the beta.

I think if you can find a group to be like your permanent 'party' it would be a lot of fun. I didn't really enjoy it until I stumbled into four or five other players that could really play. Then it was great.

I couldn't convince my RL friends to play with me, though, and most of the people I had met ended up not getting the game. So I can't tell you about post-launch.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    They added rep grinds and PVP.

The first isn't exactly a selling point.

I briefly reactivated to find only a little extra content, and a bunch of level 10 people doing level 4 elite dungeons for "rep".... it was pretty damn boring.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Jasconius wrote: »
    They added rep grinds and PVP.

The first isn't exactly a selling point.

I briefly reactivated to find only a little extra content, and a bunch of level 10 people doing level 4 elite dungeons for "rep".... it was pretty damn boring.

:? That's a bit of a surprising shame. Hmm.

Aoi on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I honestly loved the game, but under the following conditions:

- I played it with a group of three other people only.

- We only played it once a week, and never logged into the game without all of us together (no alts, etc.).

When done that way, the game is fantastic. Go outside of that, and you're looking at shitsville.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    At the end of the day, it sounds like you were playing it like you would have played tabletop D&D.

Which makes sense, in a rather obvious kind of way. It's the way I'm playing LoTRO at the moment, duoing only with a friend, we only log in if both of us are online and both feel like playing.

devoir on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yep, really only worth playing with a guild. Though I do enjoy watching them slowly add more content to the game. Keeps it kind of exciting.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dachishdachish Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The game is a blast, as everyone said, with a group of friends. Playing with PUG I had a problem with because there was always people who'd done the quest 1000 times and just rushed through the levels, which sort of killed it for me.

When I got 4 friends to play with me it was a damn good time. We all bought the game a little bit after release.
    We each played what we wanted and luckily what everyone wanted balanced out our party nicely. We had a tank, a wizard, cleric, rogue, and myself (bard). We were also all pretty new, having only played the beta to at most level 2, so we all went into things fresh (and earlier on when one person had experience with a mission no one else did, we still took it slow and steady).
    I think we made it to level 7ish (when the cap was still 10).

I always have an urge to play this, as I think it's a fantastic game. I just don't have a good group.

dachish on
    My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
    Eyes forever focused, on the sanguine, metal dawn.
  • Options
    MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I played a trial of it not that long ago, and while I didn't cover all the content, I did cover a lot of it. During my trial they released something new and me and my friends covered that in a night. I did do the thing with only playing with friends when all of us were playing, but the content seemed limited and quickly covered if you play a lot. I know if I played less often it would have lasted a bit longer, but I wouldn't want to foot the monthly fee for playing four times a month. If this was a non-monthly fee game I would be on it in a heartbeat though. The content that was there while I played it felt very tabletop and that's probably what I loved about it (I played it with the friends I used to play tabletop with...god how I miss tabletop).

Overall I would say it's a good game if you have the money for the monthly fee and limit play time. The only downside is that if you do want to play it constantly, you will run out of content fairly quickly (though the constant adding of content does keep everything fresh). I would love to see this game in the future (with epic levels added and such).

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?