As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So where do I start with Lovecraft?

JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I am looking to get into Lovecraft. I am interested mostly in his Cthulhu Mythology and Dream Cycle.

However, I have no idea where to begin.

So - suggestions? Specific books/links on Amazon welcome.

whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
Jinnigan on

• Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    you start in H/A, that's what yo do :P

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    go to wikisource and type in lovecraft. A lot of HP Lovecraft's short stories are public domain.

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Options
    FishMistFishMist Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    FishMist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Raziel078Raziel078 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You should also realize that Lovecraft was a damn dirty racist. I really like the cthulu mythos but Lovecraft was a complete dick. In some biographical info that I read on him it talked about how he had a jewish wife and all he did was bad mouth jews and she had to constantly remind him that she was jewish. and ever cthulu story talks about "savage mulatoes" and "negroes twisted with evil".

edit: Also to really get an idea of what a bastard he is read the story "The Street" that shit is raw KKK

Raziel078 on
    I would like to put something clever and about me but I fear my company will find it
  • Options
    VorusVorus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DEL004.gif

Great starting point, I think (and not very pricy)

Vorus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Raziel078 wrote: »
    You should also realize that Lovecraft was a damn dirty racist. I really like the cthulu mythos but Lovecraft was a complete dick. In some biographical info that I read on him it talked about how he had a jewish wife and all he did was bad mouth jews and she had to constantly remind him that she was jewish. and ever cthulu story talks about "savage mulatoes" and "negroes twisted with evil".

edit: Also to really get an idea of what a bastard he is read the story "The Street" that shit is raw KKK

Of course, you know, you could always allow Jin to read Lovecraft's material and make up his own mind.

EDIT: Just so I actually add something of substance to the thread, let me suggest that you read The Call of Cthulhu, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, At the Mountains of Madness, The Shunned House, The Music of Erich Zann, The Dunwich Horror, and The Haunter of the Dark. All of these stories are very good and are a fairly easy introduction to HPL's world. I can't really give you any recommendations regarding the Dream Cycle stories as I've not read them, even though I have them in the collection that I printed out years ago.

If you can find The Horror in the Museum and Other Revisions you will be able to read some excellent stories that HPL revised for other authors. It is a truly wonderful book and should be read by everyone who considers him or herself a fan of HPL's work.

Good luck with your search and enjoy!

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    DragonsongDragonsong Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I cannot recommend "the color out space" enough. Not a real tie to some of the mythos but a great story none the less. The above mentioned stories/ books by Descendant X are also very tasty.

Dragonsong on
  • Options
    AgemAgem Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Of course, you know, you could always allow Jin to read Lovecraft's material and make up his own mind.

I don't think there's any question about Lovecraft's racism. Guy wrote, you know, that ridiculously racist poem with the name I can't even post here.

Doesn't mean you can't enjoy anything he wrote, of course. See: Star Wars (and a hell of a lot of other things) drawing from Nazi propaganda films (no, seriously). Him being a racist doesn't affect whether or not his work is good (feel free to be disgusted when it creeps into his work, of course).

I'm also going to recommend "The Colour Out of Space." Even Lovecraft considered that his best story.

Agem on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It may be pretty famous, but "The Dunwich Horror" is pretty fucking awful, and I love Lovecraft (no pun intended).

I can't recommend "The Shadow over Innsmouth", "Beyond the Mountains of Madness", and "The Color out of Space" enough, though. Easily three of his greatest, and "Madness" and "Color" were in particular beloved by Howard.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AgemAgem Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    thorpe wrote: »
    It may be pretty famous, but "The Dunwich Horror" is pretty fucking awful, and I love Lovecraft (no pun intended).
    Glad I'm not the only one who hates that story.

Agem on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Agem wrote: »
    thorpe wrote: »
    Glad I'm not the only one who hates that story.
    It's pretty bad, yeah.

Thorpe's recs are good, and I'd add The Shadow Out of Time and The Rats in the Walls.

Elendil on
  • Options
    Shifty_CalhounShifty_Calhoun Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well I just bought a couple of books then:

Omnibus 1 at the mountains of madness

and

Omnibus 2 DAGON and other macabre tales.

Hope they are good. I bought them second hand so if they suck I wont have too much to complain about.

Shifty_Calhoun on
  • Options
    MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Play the videogame "call of chtulu".

That should give you a nice interactive and quite creepy entryway into the Cthulhu mythos.

Munacra on
  • Options
    Shifty_CalhounShifty_Calhoun Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    When did they come out and which platform was this game on?

Shifty_Calhoun on
  • Options
    MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Right here

e - now it's worth to mention that the game is buggy as hell. Make sure to look for the unnoficial patch put out by the DCOE community sometime after headfirst went down.
    oh and play it in the dark, and get ready to shoot some shit up with J. Edgar Hoover by your side!

Munacra on
  • Options
    thatnerdyguythatnerdyguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Realize that most of what Lovecraft wrote was short fiction, so probably the easiest thing to do is head down to a used bookshop and pick up an anthology-style volume. I snagged one here for about 5 bucks, has most of the major stories including The Call of Cthulu, Rats in the Walls, The Colour Out of Space, etc.

thatnerdyguy on
  • Options
    DragonsongDragonsong Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ohh man, "The Rats in the Walls" I need to reread that it was so good and I haven't read it in so long!

Dragonsong on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Munacra wrote: »

That should give you a nice interactive and quite creepy entryway into the Cthulhu mythos.

Nah. He should play the original Alone In The Dark. The game is literally littered with Lovecraft literature.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007

Nah. He should play the original Alone In The Dark. The game is literally littered with Lovecraft literature.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem y/n?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem y/n?

Inspired by (but not directly adapting), but y anyway because it's good. AitD has actual Lovecraft references and monsters as well as selected works in books found in-game.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Agem wrote: »

I don't think there's any question about Lovecraft's racism. Guy wrote, you know, that ridiculously racist poem with the name I can't even post here.

Doesn't mean you can't enjoy anything he wrote, of course. See: Star Wars (and a hell of a lot of other things) drawing from Nazi propaganda films (no, seriously). Him being a racist doesn't affect whether or not his work is good (feel free to be disgusted when it creeps into his work, of course).

Guys, shut up. We're not having this discussion here. Stay on topic.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH