As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do you think my comic is? (be gentle) RED HORSE VECTOR GO! GO! GO!

• Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Shame on you guys.

This is pretty good for an autistic eight-year-old.

...he IS an autistic eight-year-old, right?

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Seriously... do people not realize this shit is gonna happen to them? Why wouldn't you lurk first? OH HEY LETS GO INTO THIS SHIT BLIND. I HOPE THEY LIKE MY SHITTY LINES AND DUMB ASS HUMOR. There's a reason I don't post my work. It's because it's not that great. If you don't think your work is good then don't post it goddammit. Lurk for a bit. See what the standards are around here. Yeah they're pretty high, but only because we don't want to have to see this shit all the time in our forum. So go out, buy some books on how to draw and crawl into a hole and read them over and over and over.

Or you could whine and bitch.

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    TeragX wrote: »

Your really just out for blood arent you? So what your girlfriend dump you, or did you never have one? seriously what crawled up your ass to the point where you have to say this because whatever it is we should call the president and warn the army! But anyway, thank you to all those who liked it.
    Uh oh guys, he's really got our numbers down pat.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    Right well to all of you out there who just like to come on here and bust my balls about how much better than me you think you are, ill just brush you off and call you all retards in ways you cant even fucking understand, but even you guys dont deserve that you virgin assfucks who feel better about there shithole of an existence just by mocking someone terribly, and for gods sake if there was one rule i requested its be gentle, im not a pro, i dont suggest i am, but its what i do, and im getting better, so why dont you all just fuck off or find some way of being useful in some way, because unless your all just going to be here and tell me in the most vulgar way ever about how much i suck, which seems to be the case and im sure someone will post that you are, especially now that i said that, i just going to keep enjoying all the nice messages or helpful messages out there like what i can do to improve. and by the way to whoever made that comment;

There's a cookie in it for anyone who can find me a period in this "sentence."

I personally find it hilarious that this guy thinks that each and every one of us is a virgin with no social life, while he's the one making shitty comics and posting them on the web. As a matter of fact, artists with talent get all kinds of play. I don't feel the need to go into my conquests but there have been quite a few. Obviously he's projecting his own insecurities onto us in general. I'm guessing that he's in his early teenage years judging by his lack of self confidence and basic grammar skills.

We really should go a little easier on him. I mean, it's not the WORST comic we've seen on this forum. There was that one kid who...wait no, that one was better. Well, I'm sure there's been something worse than this. I know I dislike Ann Coulter more than this comic. Ummm... Backstreet Boys are worse than this comic! There!

Ok, seriously, this is a very poorly executed comic with a premise that makes the creator look like a complete idiot. If you want to keep drawing comics then we can't really stop you but I'd urge you to learn how to draw better. Again, we can't force you to do anything. You'll catch a lot less flack here if you decide to practice more and really take to heart the critique that your peers give you. Otherwise, you're just going to receive brutal comments that won't help you one bit, as this forum thread has proven.

I've said my piece. Have at it.

Grifter on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I came to this thread and there was no comic.

I even clicked the link in the OP and there was still no comic.

I even edited the wrongly used link to find your stupid blog and GUESS WHAT there was still no comic.

So if you're asking me "how do I think your comic is", I'll tell you: it's not. I'd say Tits or GTFO, but those would probably just be badly drawn tits of a boring superhero-comic heroine with a retarded commentary and an insult that wouldn't even insult my 12 year old emo baby brother. In fact, you can stay around, I'll probably get a laugh or two thanks to your posts. Sadly, I'll be laughing AT you, not WITH you.
    if there was one rule i requested its be gentle
    Well, guess what: you've broken at least four of OUR rules (1,4,7,11), why would you expect us to obey YOUR "rule"? Isn't this OUR forum after all?

Mayday on
  • Options
    CatnipCatCatnipCat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Grifter wrote: »
    and really take to heart the critique that your peers give you.
    So I guess "you suck, stop drawing" is a valid critique now?

Please say yes.

To the OP: I'm totally behind you. Good comeback. It's that kind of wit that makes a good comic writer.
    Picture2.jpg

CatnipCat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    As a matter of fact, artists with talent get all kinds of play.

True that! Girls think my font game is soooooo interesting!

-"What font is that?"

-"Verdana, baby."

-"You're so cool" *swoon*

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I know we some folks on the internet shun punctuation but it really does help convey meaning in written language very well.
    Where are our punctuation mark friends?!

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    @Catnip Cat : I don't know who you are. Did you register today? Or are you TeragX' alt? are you administering buttpats to YOURSELF?

Mayday on
  • Options
    CatnipCatCatnipCat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Mayday, who I am is not important. What is important is that the AC needs to be a lot nicer to everyone who comes to visit. Honestly, all this hostility is unnecessary. I think that you all should just agree that EVERY artist is a great artist, and that talent is not an issue. Instead of bringing up negativity in half of the new threads you should look for the good. And if that good isn't there, you should lie about it. Because that is what makes America great.

Foster creativity, not negativity. Buy my bumper stickers.

P.S. - Not an alt. But I'll be honest. I have an alt. You may have seen Angel_of_Bacon posting? That's actually me.

CatnipCat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Look what all this catnip has done with you. Didn't your government tell you that drugs are bad?

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    CatnipCat wrote: »
    and really take to heart the critique that your peers give you.
    So I guess "you suck, stop drawing" is a valid critique now?

Please say yes.

That's not a critique. That's not even a good insult. I think we should have another flame week next week. What says the populace of the AC?

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    It says: "Maybe. Gotta check my schedule".

Mayday on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    "seriously what crawled up your ass to the point where you have to say this because whatever it is we should call the president and warn the army!"

I don't even understand what the hell you're trying to say here. If that were the punch-line to your comic it would be better.

OK you want a serious crit?

first off, your link doesn't work. When you edit it and get to your page, i see a sketch of venom, and on the right i see the archive, that has your "lazy" comic with just word balloons, and the iron man comic. So you're not giving me much to crit...but here goes.

You humor is weak. People here have been cruel, and i can't blame them, but they have been correct in saying your humor is weak. Really kick ass art could help out this "joke" with a good visual payoff, but thats not happening here.

Which brings us to your art. If you come to a forum like this and ask peole for their opinions, they're going to be brutal. Thats how this place it. It's worse if you drop shit with a broken link, then have a dick attitude about the whole thing. BUT lets take an honest look at your art. i say we take the venom sketch.

it's a head....a mis-shapen, no structure head. it's too narrow, and the back stucks up like an egg. The line work is as poor as can be and the only shadows you did were in the mouth. the tongue magically stops an inch into his mouth like its some black hole where matter can't exist. Look at it your self and tell me it doesn't look akward...come on....see? You have different darkness on some teeth, which makes the poorness of it stand out more, and the semen dripping from his mouth..well i guess Eddie Brock swings from a web, and over to the other team.

learn structure, and the human form. its the only thing that will help.

don't blame the scanner.

don't ask to be gentle. i bet your friends and your mom tell you how good you are at art, and that gave you the confidence to post here. Nice but, honestly it's very weak stuff. Practice and come back.

and the comic is just very poor.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    NovusNovus regular
    edited May 2007
    Mayday, who I am is not important. What is important is that the AC needs to be a lot nicer to everyone who comes to visit. Honestly, all this hostility is unnecessary. I think that you all should just agree that EVERY artist is a great artist, and that talent is not an issue. Instead of bringing up negativity in half of the new threads you should look for the good. And if that good isn't there, you should lie about it. Because that is what makes America great.

P.S. - Not an alt. But I'll be honest. I have an alt. You may have seen Angel_of_Bacon posting? That's actually me.

I agree absolutely with the bolded statement; normally. I actually appreciate the fact that these forums are... elitist isn't quite the right word, but there is zero tolerance for bullshit here and I like that. I've been lurking for some time (I'll post one of these days =P) and I'm always glad to see that the idiots are shown the door. The problem with the post isn't that he lacks skill - though that’s a symptom of the problem- the problem is that the OP is too self obsessed to take blunt criticism without throwing a temper tantrum.

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The site wrote:
    Hah, now your here and you cant do anything about it!
    You're = You Are
    Your = Possesive
    Can't = Can Not
    Cant = Slanting or tilted position

Apostrophes are your friends, but only when you use them.

I didn't get any farther.
    There will be no critique of artwork, or site design from me.

see317 on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Novus wrote: »

I agree absolutely with the bolded statement; normally. I actually appreciate the fact that these forums are... elitist isn't quite the right word, but there is zero tolerance for bullshit here and I like that. I've been lurking for some time (I'll post one of these days =P) and I'm always glad to see that the idiots are shown the door. The problem with the post isn't that he lacks skill - though that’s a symptom of the problem- the problem is that the OP is too self obsessed to take blunt criticism without throwing a temper tantrum.

No, the problem is that I gave him a chance to salvage an original post that was nothing more than mere sitewhoring and instead he decided to balk at it and insult the enirety of the AC first, all in the same breath.

This is why we have rules to lurk first. It has nothing to do with skill level, it has to do with social integration.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I was really only tempted to post on this thread because of this guys asshole attitude. Otherwise I really didn't care about his art. See art this bad all the time.

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • Options
    NovusNovus regular
    edited May 2007
    Novus wrote: »

No, the problem is that I gave him a chance to salvage an original post that was nothing more than mere sitewhoring and instead he decided to balk at it and insult the enirety of the AC first, all in the same breath.

This is why we have rules to lurk first. It has nothing to do with skill level, it has to do with social integration.

That's kinda the point I was trying to make... I'll have to work on my writing.

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    also this isnt site whoring its an attempt to get readers to my comic from other comics

HAHAHAHA! Oh, man! I must have just been skimming through the first time around to have missed this bit. Wow.... just wow, mate. Site whoring is basically making a thread and whoring out your site so that people will visit it. Generally, the people who do this are shitty web comic creators. You fit the mold perfectly.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=site+whore

Grifter on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I come to AC for two reasons: to browse the photo thread and occasionally post in it when I am not lazy... and for threads like these. I can usually tell by the title. They make my life. Thank you AC. Thank you angry young "artists" who want people to look at your "comics." Thank you.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    flyingmonkeyflyingmonkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Stuff like this makes me stick to the doodle thread. If that. But the AC is always a great read :P.

flyingmonkey on
    3. And quit this emo-slumming shit. Fuck.
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    FINALLY, I get a chance to use all of these at once!

madface.jpg
    AAA.jpg
    screamin.gif
    dollyzoom.gif

Hahaha. I recognize your artwork now. I did an image search for "Lame" quite some ago time to find a picture that adequately reflected my feelings towards a post on another forum. what I found fit the bill to a T. An enraged bearded dude yelling "LAME" and the top of his lungs. I apologize now for stealing your bandwidth.

To get back on topic: The aforementioned Lame artwork by Bacon applies to your comic. If only the link wasn't broken i'd post it here.

In your defence, you have bigger balls than I to even attempt a webcomic.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Please never lock this thread, as it breathes hurricanes of self esteem into my artwork.

It says, hey, at least I'm better than that guy!

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    benz0rsbenz0rs Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm feelin' a sandwich right now.

benz0rs on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    WHERE are you feeling the sandwich?

Mayday on
  • Options
    beelowbeelow Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    There are other professional places like cgtalk and conceptart, but if your work doesn't show that you can do something, your work won't be looked at. Also your link is broken and I cannot look at your stuff. So there is nothing that can be said about your work. also try posting an image of your page here If you would like to be a little well recieved here. At least you will show that you follow directions. You'll get that from here at PA-AC, people are a little rude here, not the professional way to let people know that their work sucks, but this is the way they do things here. Next time around see what the threads are like and see if it is worth posting in. Remember that these people are your audience and if your work is not well recieved then it must mean that you failed somewhere along the lines of what your trying to show people and delievering. It is not about what you like, it is about what other will like. I don't know to much about comics and how to pace sequences. I don't know how relevant comics are to storyboards or production boards either, if they are the same or if there is a difference. Condsider these things when your posting your work though, that people will come harsh and other will give professional advice and critiques. I think those are timportant things to consider. Plus don't lash out at people, remember this internet and people give a crap about what you think, 2 you loose contacts and networks and you don't want to do that to yourself, especially, if you want to take doing webcomics seriously and make money. So take the time to hear them out. Don't trip, just take this as a mistake made and diffuse the situation. I came over too and made mistakes, everyone does, were all human. Keep it pimpin' and improve your work dude. That is what is great about receiving responses. Good luck.

beelow on
    "No one is trying to keep the secrets of good drawing from anyone, the secrets of drawing are the ones we keep from ourselves." Karl Gnass
    Spectacular:
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=274320
  • Options
    mr0rangemr0range Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    beelow wrote: »
    people are a little rude here, not the professional way to let people know that their work sucks,

Rude or honest?

I've found that most of the time if the OP is a real post looking for a critique, it usually is taken well, even with crappy art. I've seen a few times bad art posted but with honest and straightforward critique, no rudeness involved. It's when someone posts dumb shit or yet another webcomic, things can get a bit hairy. I'd rather have people who are honest instead of a circle jerk of good times.

I posted my trading cards at three different places, this was the only place that helped me improve my work.

When you lash out at AC for no reason at all, you'll get it back full throttle. This is what happened here. He was given the benefit, didn't take it, lashed out, and now you have the joyous pages before you as a reward.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    beelowbeelow Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well I think it is a little bit of both. It can be ignored but some choose to dig into their feelings and lash out. Don't you think? I personally won't say your work just flat out sucks and that is just the end of it. I usually back it up with more insightful things and say that I am here to help. But, sometimes I have my bad days and get irritated with forumers. And I can see it here with others, I try to stay as professional as possible at all times nowadays and try to ignore the ignorance. But, you guys are speaking your mind weather it is honesty or honesty with a mix of rudeness. I've got my posts changed here before which I thought was kind of childish by the mods, but all is forgiven. I have had my share of my responses here as well. But, I am more at cgtalk and conceptart because they usually give better professional advice, and plus most threads like this usually gets people banned and the mods are usually all professionals themselves and usually with positive attitudes and lock threads like this with the quickness. Yeah he lashed out which, in my opinion, he should have been warned and if he continues, permanent banning. I guess I am going off of my experiences here, and I also try to start a contest here and tried to do something and wanted to mod it, which was not the right way to go about it, and that was all on me. But, I have respect for the mods here, hope I get the same. I am curious to where you posted your work at? But, I agree with you about him lashing out, with some of the comments he made he asked for it, and PA is known to get down on people that want the ass pattery and shove it in their face. Yeah, thanx for the reward though. I was kinda entertained at the same time, damn I should be painting, damn I am slacking! Holla! XD

beelow on
    "No one is trying to keep the secrets of good drawing from anyone, the secrets of drawing are the ones we keep from ourselves." Karl Gnass
    Spectacular:
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=274320
  • Options
    bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah I haven't really seen any rudeness here - only whenever the poster is rude. And I've only seen rudeness come from people who post bad art, interestingly. Probably comes from a lack of confidence in their art and no interest in making it better, just positive reactions. Notice he exempt those who he thought enjoyed his comic from his tantrum. (Though no one really did haha)

Honestly, if his attitude was better and he was sincere about improving his art I think we'd see some positive, helpful crits. Most of the crits I see on this board are honest and with the intent to make the poster better at their art - but I think a main reason why people post crits here is to learn themselves and pick up some inspiration for their own work. I know that's why I'm here.

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well.... now I feel like a douche!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Well.... now I feel like a douche!

You go girl!

Mayday on
  • Options
    ViolenceManViolenceMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    your really just out for blood arent you? So what your girlfriend dump you, or did you never have one? seriously what crawled up your ass to the point where you have to say this because whatever it is we should call the president and warn the army! But anyway, thank you to all those who liked it.

The temptation to bark a single, magnanimous "ha" is almost to much ... ah what the hell

Ha!

"while there is some truth in your fiction, there is some fiction in your truth," meaning yeah, I may not have a girl friend, but then again I try not to bargain myself over every attention whore that comes my way.

It's called self respect.

But of course, this is just pure speculation, lets hound you for where you really fail at.

Paying attention.

yeah,your art pretty much sucks (like a golf ball through a garden hose), but that doesn't seem to be your worst fault. No, what really seems to put your nuts in a vice clamp is the fact that you can't even follow the fucking rules. Infact if your so goddamn smart Steven Hawking then why didn't you start off at the top of the page where it clearly state "READ THE RULES FIRST." So don't come in here waving your junk around like you own the fucking ball park, because I can assure you that at least half the people here have atleast a foot on you in the art cock business.

ViolenceMan on
    wheres.gif
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Holy crap this is sad. I read a few of his news posts and he talks like he has a loyal community of readers, despite the fact none of his posts (over a year's worth) have any comments. Do people actually visit his site or is he just delusional?

Deans on
  • Options
    benz0rsbenz0rs Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Deans wrote: »
    Holy crap this is sad. I read a few of his news posts and he talks like he has a loyal community of readers, despite the fact none of his posts (over a year's worth) have any comments. Do people actually visit his site or is he just delusional?

HAHA I noticed that, too, when I was looking over his stuff. He has that "Dear wahtever-his-crap-is-called readers, I aplogize for not being able to do a comic today blah blah blah." Then I look down and see 0 comments. Next page, 0 comments. Etc.

benz0rs on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    That's one of my biggest pet peeves about amature/beginner web comics. They almost always break the fourth wall around 3 weeks in to say "We can't update this week blah blah blah".

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    benz0rs wrote: »

HAHA I noticed that, too, when I was looking over his stuff. He has that "Dear wahtever-his-crap-is-called readers, I aplogize for not being able to do a comic today blah blah blah." Then I look down and see 0 comments. Next page, 0 comments. Etc.

Maybe his parents read his comic?

JCM on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    JCM wrote: »
    benz0rs wrote: »

Maybe his parents read his comic?

Do they wipe his ass too?

It's a valid assumption considering his post history in this topic alone.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So, uh...
    I totally saw this coming.

Edit:
    In other words, I came in and got what I was expecting.

This place delivers.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't think this place is unnecessarily rude; I posted a sketch a while ago for critique and everyone beat it into the ground, but they did it politely. It was constructive beating. All in all, I'm glad I did it; beatings like that build character, especially in people with an inflated notion of their own skills like me and this guy.

KalTorak on
This discussion has been closed.