As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I saw Les Mis last night

13»

• Options
    IHasABucketIHasABucket Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Producers was pretty damn good too. Got to see that on Broadway but after Nathan Lane and what's his face.. (Broderick?) were doing it. Still a good time.

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Producers was pretty damn good too. Got to see that on Broadway but after Nathan Lane and what's his face.. (Broderick?) were doing it. Still a good time.

I've only seen the movie. I like Lane better than Zero Mostel, but Mathew Broderick can't hold a candle to Gene Wilder.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I read this book in class

I liked it

Seta 3000 on
  • Options
    IHasABucketIHasABucket Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Geek wrote: »

I've only seen the movie. I like Lane better than Zero Mostel, but Mathew Broderick can't hold a candle to Gene Wilder.

There is just something special about seeing it live. Granted, I was shoved in a fucking corner of the theatre, but still had a decent view of most of the action...

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SuperunknownSuperunknown Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wow, I'm currently doing lighting design for a school rendition of Les Mis. The final show is tonight, thank god because all the males in it suck balls except for Javert and Marius.

Superunknown on
  • Options
    iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wow, I'm currently doing lighting design for a school rendition of Les Mis. The final show is tonight, thank god because all the males in it suck balls except for Javert and Marius.

If I were lighting designer, I'd probably add a fuckton of strobe lights.

But then again, I am currently inebriated.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think I'm the only person on the planet who thinks Wicked is one of the single most overrated feats of the 21st century. Seriously. Its not good.

Maybe, if they fixed the shittyness, it would be better.

No, I seem to recall other people hatin' on Wicked here in SE++ before.

One of my roommates hates the show, just because "Popular" bugs the shit out of him.

I dunno. I like it, but I can see how some people might not.

I like about 4 songs, and I hate the plot and just in general immaturity of the show. Its so shallow, and yet people really like it because its so showy.

Theres very little actual content, and very little human emotion, and those that are there get played down a whole lot.

I disagree.

QED.

Sheri on
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

If I were lighting designer, I'd probably add a fuckton of strobe lights.

But then again, I am currently inebriated.

I requested strobe lights for the final set of my recital last week. They did not deliver.

Whores do not understand the connection between Handel and raves.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I've got strobe lights fitted for the barricade scene, they don't look that good but I was just trying something different. Anyway I'm off.

Superunknown on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Well that fucked up, a dimmer rack broke half way through the prologue, don't know what the hell happened.

Anyway it was ruined.

Superunknown on
  • Options
    GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Did anyone ever see the BBC television version, with John Malkovich as Javert? Man that was good.

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I like musicals. But I'm pretty much a gay straight man, so theres that.

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I saw Les Mis in London and oh holy crap it was awesome.

So awesome.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    guys tonight i put what i thought was dijon mustard on my chips

but really it was hot english

!!!

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Is the musical as good as the book?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Spamalot was great. The only actor I didn't really like was Arthur's, but beyond that, the cast was golden.

Needed less Lady of the Lake and more Bedevere, but it was good. And the 'we need Jews' song was epic.

Sir Robin's actor stole the show.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Coram Boy was freaking awesome. I think it's on Broadway now, I saw it in London. Damn impressive effects and music.
    I saw it last night. I LOVED it. Everything was so freaking great.

gogogogogogoseeit

Faricazy on
  • Options
    iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well that fucked up, a dimmer rack broke half way through the prologue, don't know what the hell happened.

Anyway it was ruined.

Les Mis is one of those shows where things just break. There is no reason.
    Did anyone ever see the BBC television version, with John Malkovich as Javert? Man that was good.

I saw the movie with Uma Thurman and Liam Neeson. Yikes.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    El Tango De Roxanne from Moulin Rouge is one of my favorite numbers, ever.

Sami on
  • Options
    arithenaarithena Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Whippy and I are going to see Rent (which is FINALLY touring again) next week on Thursday. He has never seen it before and I know he will love it. He is a big gay fan of musicals. One of his cat's names is ValJean. Nobody at my work seems to be able to pronounce it though! They all say "Val Jeen." I'm like, NO YOU UNCULTURED SWINES!!! But yeah. I love me some musicals. I have performed in Into The Woods, Cats (talk about a play with little to no plot and minimal emotion), and Phantom. I've seen Into the Woods, Phantom and The Lion King. In Into The Woods I was cast as Jack's mother because I was the only fatty, and the director refused to admit that she cast me for that reason.

arithena on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    !!!!

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    naporeon wrote: »
    Ramius wrote: »
    I've been considering reading the book for some time now. If anyone here has ever read it, would you recommend it?
    I have read it, as well as a few other French novels of the same basic vintage.

Among its dubious "highlights" are an entire chapter devoted to the description of a church's oaken door, and a rollicking Thenardier/Jondrette/Pontmercy tangent , which seemingly does little to further the narrative, but nonetheless consumes a thick chunk of the book.

Not my cup of tea, but you might enjoy it.

Pretty much my view towards it as well. Among the virtues of the French romanticist movement, a knack for being succinct is glaringly absent.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Anyone in the NY area should really go see Coram Boy. It really is fantastic.

The staging and effects blow Les Mis out of the water.

Faricazy on