As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lucid Dreaming

• Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    that's uh

that's pretty epic

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    ThaoxThaox Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    All of my dreams are lucid. I don't use any method to induce them it is an innate ability I've had. Although I do recall the incident that initiated my ability to have lucid dreams. I was about 4 years old and had a nightmare that placed me in a dark cave that was the home of some large monster. At the age of four the monster was actually a collection of jet black squiggled lines with sharp teeth and red eyes. As it approached me I managed to form a sword in my hand and slice the monster down the center. In typical cartoon style the creature split in two and emitted a blinding white light, at that point I woke up. Since then i've had complete control over my dreams, although I tend to forgo total usage of the ability because that's just not fun.

It's very odd but overall I think it plays a large toll on my ability to rest because I always feel so active.

So you are capable of dreaming lucidly and feeling rested in the morning? Someone was saying earlier that those two were mutually exclusive from their own personal experience.

Thaox on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I had a dream (not lucid) where I could set my self on fire like the Human Torch.

The fire wasn't very bright or hot so nobody was impressed. I tried to set a guys boot on fire, but he was all "Go away."

Actually, I don't think I've ever had a lucid dream. Will it be obvious if I do?

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    hey guys

hey guys look at me

look at me I'm on fire guys

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    hey guys

hey guys look at me

look at me I'm on fire guys
    That's pretty much how it went.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    SirToasty wrote: »
    I had a dream (not lucid) where I could set my self on fire like the Human Torch.

The fire wasn't very bright or hot so nobody was impressed. I tried to set a guys boot on fire, but he was all "Go away."

Actually, I don't think I've ever had a lucid dream. Will it be obvious if I do?

Yeah it should be, you'll be aware of your state of being asleep and then capable of doing whatever you want. You're like neo in your own personal matrix.

Somebody slap me for making that comparison.

Thaox on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ninjas can't catch you if you're on fire.

look at me not posting an image i'm so clever

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Caulk Bite wrote: »
    Ninjas can't catch you if you're on fire.

look at me not posting an image i'm so clever
    <3<3<3

I'm going to get that shirt.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    JinnJinn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    whoa dude you like

defeated the dream boss

let's make a video game out of this shit

Jinn on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm pretty sure everyone knows about this, but I haven't seen it mentioned, so.

Waking Life.

Go watch it, and then think about dreams and the meaning of life.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    chubschubs Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have only had one lucid dream. I was watching TV in my living room, and when I realized I was dreaming, I summoned up some beautiful woman to start having sex with me. Then I was all "Man fuck this" and started flying around downtown portland. I remember some guy jumping up and high-fiving me as I flew past him.

It was pretty refreshing, considering that most of my regular dreams are horrifying. For example, lately I have been having this recurring dream where I take a huge bite out of some food item, only to realize it's full of hundreds of writhing maggots. D:

chubs on
  • Options
    JinnJinn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    has anyone seen The History Boys?

i have it sitting right here

i wonder if i should watch it

Jinn on
  • Options
    Abraham F. HawkAbraham F. Hawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    When you are having a lucid dream, are you in control of everything?

Hm. No, that's not what I was thinking about.

Do you have to control everything?

'Cause that sounds... like hard work.

Abraham F. Hawk on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Nogs wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure everyone knows about this, but I haven't seen it mentioned, so.

Waking Life.

Go watch it, and then think about dreams and the meaning of life.

It is basically my favorite movie. :^:

And about the never feeling rested when you lucid dream is totally dead on for me. So like 75% of the time I am still tired when I wake up. Which sucks but I have a caffeine addiction to deal with that.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    edited May 2007

What do you mean

Like, if you don't imagine there being floor in front of your feet all the time, you'll just fall?

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

No some things still keep going normally. You can just control your environment and can potentially take control of whatever situation you are in and the objects in it if you want.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    edited May 2007

What do you mean

Like, if you don't imagine there being floor in front of your feet all the time, you'll just fall?

Sort of.

If I don't think about there being other people in my town, the town will be empty in my dream.

This is not so?

Abraham F. Hawk on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I think, that there's the foundation of the dream. There are going to be people, and there is going to be an environment

I think you can either building upon that or take some stuff away

say there's someone you don't like

you can take him out of the dream

or slit his throat.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I think, that there's the foundation of the dream. There are going to be people, and there is going to be an environment

or slit his throat.

Ah.

This sounds a lot cooler, actually.

Then we have another question:

Where do dreams come from, and why?

Abraham F. Hawk on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2007

or slit his throat.

Or turn him into buzz light-year. Buzz is da man.

Thaox on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

or slit his throat.

Ah.

This sounds a lot cooler, actually.

Then we have another question:

Where do dreams come from, and why?

They come from your brain and you have them maybe because your brain tries to sort out all the shit you experienced that day.

Alternately:

morpheusfv6.gif

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    The_DcipleThe_Dciple Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My dreams tend to be mostly zombie survival situations.

Seems that's the only real control over my dreams that I have.

Just all closing my eyes, getting ready for sleep and right before I'm out thoughts of zombies pop in my head.

The_Dciple on
  • Options
    DranoDrano __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    once i figure out im dreaming whatevers going on just seems less exciting
    i could do whatever i want but its just half hearted like
    yeah hey, im stabbing a t-rex, whatever

Drano on
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Drano wrote: »

mine get a lot better because my subconcious will actively begin trying to fuck with me

all the sudden my powers stop working or the bad guys grow wings and submachine guns

mrpaku on
  • Options
    DranoDrano __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    i think im too aware of my subconscious.

Drano on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Drano wrote: »

mine get a lot better because my subconcious will actively begin trying to fuck with me

all the sudden my powers stop working or the bad guys grow wings and submachine guns

I always have shitty weapons in my dreams. See: Rapier and Biology book vs undead army of flesh eating ghouls.

Thaox on
  • Options
    TrulzTrulz Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wearing a shirt to bed seems to give me much more intense dreams. I remember my dreams much better if I listen to music (mmm Amon Tobin), but I've never been able to lucid dream.

I guess I'll be half awake for some of my dreams because I'll feel a real sense of dread and wake up hyped up on adrenaline.

Trulz on
    I know where I came from, but where did all you zombies come from?
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    The only time I have lucid dreams is at the end of a nightmare.
    I think "Man, if I open my eyes, this'll end."
    Then, about the time I realize I'm dreaming, and could control the dream, I do open my eyes.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Trulz wrote: »
    Wearing a shirt to bed seems to give me much more intense dreams. I remember my dreams much better if I listen to music (mmm Amon Tobin), but I've never been able to lucid dream.

I guess I'll be half awake for some of my dreams because I'll feel a real sense of dread and wake up hyped up on adrenaline.

on the subject of clothing and sleep. I believe I heard somewhere that if you sleep with your covers pulled down - so they only cover your feet - you have a better chance of having a nightmare. I think the logic behind it was, since your feet are weighed down you try and "move" in your dream, but you can't. I dunno, seems like total bullshit to me. Anyone able to confirm this?

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    GravesGraves Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I had a dream last night that i only just realized was a dream.

This kid from down the block who i barely ever talk to came over to me and he was all "Yo, Chris I was looking for you, you wanna go to the such-and-such"

And I said "dude I can't because of something but that's cool that you asked, we should chill more often"

And I saw him today and waved for the first time in years and he was like "uhhhh hey?"

Graves on
  • Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    One time I had a lucid dream, and I thought, awesome, I'll go flying.

So I get up into the air and then the pressure becomes too much and the air gets too thin. I become dizzy and my head starts to hurt and I fall to the ground and start gasping and spasming and saying "FUCK FUCK FUCK".

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    Eastern GlowEastern Glow Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sometimes I dream I'm eating giant marshmellows and when I wake up my pillows have vanished!!!!

Eastern Glow on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I think the next time I have a lucid dream it'll be to Jam with Eric Clapton in low earth orbit while Kate Beckinsale and Heidi Klum fight over who gets me for the evening.

Or maybe I'll just beat the living shit out of this one annoying prig in the class I taught last semester.

Thaox on
  • Options
    cheese greatercheese greater Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think I've had these, I want mooore

cheese greater on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I think I've had these, I want mooore

Try the links I have in the OP and tell me if they work.

Thaox on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I used to always have dreams normally, and be able to move and shit

and then they would subtly become nightmares, until it's full-blown terrifying shit going on and I try to move or run but it's all sluggish and usually I fall over and feel restrained and generally this is horrifying

I think it's because of the heavy blankets I sleep with, because it usually happens in the winter when I need them and I wake up with my blankets all messed up

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    I used to always have dreams normally, and be able to move and shit

and then they would subtly become nightmares, until it's full-blown terrifying shit going on and I try to move or run but it's all sluggish and usually I fall over and feel restrained and generally this is horrifying

I think it's because of the heavy blankets I sleep with, because it usually happens in the winter when I need them and I wake up with my blankets all messed up

Ever get rolled up in your blankets as a kid and wake up unable to move?

Thaox on
  • Options
    AgentBryantAgentBryant CTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What if you're not really in control of your dream, and the thought that you are in control is only part of the dream?

AgentBryant on
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've only had a couple of lucid dreams, but they were both awesome, all flying around and melting through walls...

In one of them I started out in class at university or something, and the way I realised I was dreaming is that this guy I know wasn't there, and I was all like 'wait a sec, Paul's always on time for class... this must be a dream!' and jumped out a window and flew off

that's pretty weak evidence for being in a dream

i probably shouldn't be trying to fly out of windows every time someone misses their bus

Ten on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thaox wrote: »
    All of my dreams are lucid. I don't use any method to induce them it is an innate ability I've had. Although I do recall the incident that initiated my ability to have lucid dreams. I was about 4 years old and had a nightmare that placed me in a dark cave that was the home of some large monster. At the age of four the monster was actually a collection of jet black squiggled lines with sharp teeth and red eyes. As it approached me I managed to form a sword in my hand and slice the monster down the center. In typical cartoon style the creature split in two and emitted a blinding white light, at that point I woke up. Since then i've had complete control over my dreams, although I tend to forgo total usage of the ability because that's just not fun.

It's very odd but overall I think it plays a large toll on my ability to rest because I always feel so active.

So you are capable of dreaming lucidly and feeling rested in the morning? Someone was saying earlier that those two were mutually exclusive from their own personal experience.
    Sorry for the late response but I meant it takes a toll on my rest. I generally need a ton of sleep or I feel like shit because I guess i'm never actually getting true rest since i'm constantly cognisant. Although, I can use the ability to varying degrees at will so that does help me feel more rested when I choose to release control of certain situations.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png