As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"application must terminate" error on Sims 2: All Expansion Packs!

TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Every time I start up Sims 2: Open for Business, it promptly crashes past the opening video. The opening video will play until it loads the main menu, upon which it crashes. Any attempt to skip the video will cause it to crash as well.

I'm using an 8800GTS card fully patched, both Sims 2 and Open for Business are also patched and my latest video card drivers are installed. This is really annoying and goggling it only brings up a few likewise cases with no solutions.

sig4.jpg
Talonrazor on

• Options
    edited May 2007
    So I have re-installed the base game and every pack 4 fucking times and looked at every tech support forum ever but I cannot get this thing solved. Any help here would be appreciated, it's a brand new PC and I shouldn't be having this shit.

EDIT: I just tried installing only Sims 2. Works fine. I then installed University and got the same exact error as OFB. Intro video starts and after the video or when any key is pressed, the game just crashes.

EDIT EDIT: I posted on Tech Guy forums as well for help, here's the detailed OP I posted
    Yea I know, Sims 2. You guys get a ton of these. I've read all your help and tips on other threads but none have worked for my current problem.

This on a brand-new PC with a clean OS install. It's an E6420, with 4gb of RAM, 8800GTS vid card and an Audigy 2 ZS. All drivers are recent and updated, directX is new, etc. I usually can fix these problems but this one has me stumped.

I installed Sims 2 + University, Nightlife and Open for Business. All in order and totally legal. The core game was patched (had to patch it before installing Uni or I'd get that uninstall error that's pretty common) and most recent patch for OFB was used. However, every time I try Open for Business, the game crashes after playing the intro video or when any attempt was made to skip it. I uninstalled everything, took out all registry keys and reinstalled. Same thing. Once again, I removed the games and tried just Sims 2. The game started up fine, no problem. I then just installed University and tried that. Same exact error as the one I got with OFB. I then removed University but now the main game won't even start up, it just crashes when I try to start it. I removed all the games, reinstalled Sims 2 and now it works again.

So I'm stuck. I have no virtual drives going on, no clones or daemon tools that the game might be detecting (I used to have daemon tools installed but I removed it). I've googled my problem, asked in another forum and talked to some guys on IRC and no one can think of anything that will fix.

My sadistic side needs some good ole' fashion Sims torture, help me out here!

Thanks.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    man I hate to bump this again but I haven't been able to figure anything out and no one I have talked has any ideas. Anyone have a solid clue what is up?

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg