As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Going Mac (advice about the switch)

TetsugenTetsugen Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm planning to switch over completely to the apple. I currently need a 15-17 inch notebook that has editing capabilities, and possibly the most powerful word processor in the world. Will the normal macbooks be fine?

On the home front, I want a stationary macpro or imac for my editing needs at home. Can anyone suggest both set ups for under 5000 combined?

And has anyone here used Final Cut Pro 2? How is it compared to the first?

Tetsugen on

• Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Macbooks only come in one size, 13 inches. The Macbook Pros come in 15 and 17 inch varieties. I believe Final Cut Pro 2 doesn't work on a Macbook, or something to that effect. With a student discount (if applicable), you can probably get a 15'' Macbook Pro and a mid-sized iMac for under 5000.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    blanknogoblanknogo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Do you have a monitor, or will one need to be included into the 5000?

blanknogo on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    As others have said, MacBooks are 13.3" and MacBook Pros are 15" and 17". A regular MacBook won't have any problems with iMovie or probably even Final Cut Express, but if you're going for Final Cut Pro, the integrated graphics may make it tough (I, however, am speaking without FCP experience; the key word is may). I would, however, check out this article, which benchmarks Final Cut Studio 5 (I think that's Final Cut Pro 1?) on a MacBook, a MacBook Pro, and a PowerMac G5. The MacBook does surprisingly well.

The story is similar for iMacs versus Mac Pros. All iMacs use integrated graphics chipsets, whereas Mac Pros have dedicated and upgradable graphics cards. If you don't have one, it's nice that the iMac includes/is a monitor.

If you want to go all pro, MacBook Pros start at $2000 and Mac Pros start at $3000, before student discount (if applicable), AppleCare (you want it), and tax/shipping (if applicable). If you get a student discount, I believe it's usually in the vicinity of 10%, which would just leave you on the north side of $5000. This is assuming you don't need a monitor, etc. for the Mac Pro. This is also assuming you are happy with the base models of each.

If this is too much, I would say it comes down to a compromise between which is more important to you, the horsepower at home or on the road. Getting a MBP and an iMac gets you a larger laptop screen, but a MB and a Mac Pro lets you upgrade the desktop model when you want new parts.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    FristleFristle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The MacBook (non-pro) is not listed as meeting the requirements on the Final Cut Pro 2 website. But, it seems to meet the specs they recommend. It's possible it would do the job -- if this isn't the #1 reason you need the Mac, perhaps that is enough.

Fristle on
    Fristle.jpg
  • Options
    FristleFristle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    The story is similar for iMacs versus Mac Pros. All iMacs use integrated graphics chipsets, whereas Mac Pros have dedicated and upgradable graphics cards. If you don't have one, it's nice that the iMac includes/is a monitor.

Integrated in the sense that it cannot be upgraded, but not integrated like the MacBook with its "shared RAM" video adapter though, right? It looks like the iMac comes with a decent video card.

Fristle on
    Fristle.jpg
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    As far as if the macbook will handle Final Cut Pro, just call and ask them. Tell them you're considering to buy a desktop system and a laptop, and you're curious. They'll tell you if it works or not.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I use FCP on my MacBook with no problems... It's the rest of the Final Cut Studio (especially Motion) that will make you hate yourself for not buying a MacBook Pro.

$2000 for MBP
    $1500 for iMac
    $300 for RAM for the above computers
    $1200 for Final Cut, Motion, Soundtrack Pro, Color, Compressor, DVD Studio all latest versions

If that's really what you want to do, there's no way to do it without spending $5k really. Personally, I would drop the laptop and use the freed up funds to buy a second monitor and a copy of Shake.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Fristle wrote: »

Integrated in the sense that it cannot be upgraded, but not integrated like the MacBook with its "shared RAM" video adapter though, right? It looks like the iMac comes with a decent video card.

I meant shared RAM, but was flat-out wrong. D'oh!

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    CailYoungCailYoung Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    To confirm again, Final Cut Pro 6 (which is what you'd be buying now) will work fine on a Macbook of any flavour. The entire Final Cut Studio 2 will not; specifically Motion.

CailYoung on
    Freak this, I'm going to the toilet - Shaun Micallef
  • Options
    wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    If you're getting a macbook pro, there's no real need to get an iMac as well. Just get a flat panel display, and hook up the MBP to that when you're home. They're relatively close in terms of power and speed, and this way you also forgo any data transferring you would have had to do.

tada

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    wombat wrote: »
    If you're getting a macbook pro, there's no real need to get an iMac as well. Just get a flat panel display, and hook up the MBP to that when you're home. They're relatively close in terms of power and speed, and this way you also forgo any data transferring you would have had to do.

tada

I agree with this statement. With the money you save by not getting an iMac + laptop, you could get a sweet MBP and a fucking sexy APPLE CINEMA DISPLAY?!!!!

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Fristle wrote: »

I meant shared RAM, but was flat-out wrong. D'oh!

It's not even integrated in the sense that it's built onto the motherboard; it's an MXM card. Jury's still out on whether it can be upgraded, but it's theoretically possible maybe. Certainly it'd void your warranty and cost a lot more money than it should.

edit: Indeed it is. Notice the slot there that the graphics card is plugged into.
    IMG_5930.jpg

No upgrades are currently on the market, so don't count on being able to mess with it. But I mean, it's a Mac. Messing with the internals isn't what you're buying it for in the first place.

edit 2: apparently this only applies to the 24" model.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

tada

I agree with this statement. With the money you save by not getting an iMac + laptop, you could get a sweet MBP and a fucking sexy APPLE CINEMA DISPLAY?!!!!

If you do this, consider the near-identical line of Dell monitors for a cheaper price.... Much better, in my opinion.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    contraband wrote: »

tada

If you do this, consider the near-identical line of Dell monitors for a cheaper price.... Much better, in my opinion.

Good point. A point I should have made considering I own a Dell 20.1" widescreen. And it was not expensive.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    contraband wrote: »

tada

Good point. A point I should have made considering I own a Dell 20.1" widescreen. And it was not expensive.

although for video editing specifically, apple monitors are supposedly the best you can get (in terms of gamma and colors and brightness and stuff. I was told this by a professional cinematographer/professor, and I think a lot of it could just be personal preference. not to mention the good points he made were very nitpicky things that many people wouldn't really need to bother with)

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah from what I've heard, the Apple monitors are a step above the Dells. I don't know if the price difference is worth it, though.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast