As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Reading Marvel for the First Time

Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
edited June 2007 in Graphic Violence
So I made this thread because frankly this is going to be my first time reading a Marvel comic.

A little backstory: I read only Manga and Manwha and have been since the 6th grade. I was born outside NA and when I came here in 97 I was suprised to find that Marvel and DC were big. (They were not as big outside but still existed but I never paid attention).

So, thinking about trying some I order the Essential Thor series (1 to 3 I believe). I know next to nothing about the character and also wanted to pick out the Hulk Essentials but didn't as I wanted to try these one first. It was recommended to me because I was looking for Mythos series, but didn't have any Japanese character Mythos and me having an interest in Norse Mythology I agreed.

Now the question is how do the Thor comics fare? I understand that its basically from the begining and that its basically what I would except for the that era, cheesy lines, stories that are moral and such. Other than that I have never read it, and I don't want to read Wikipedia for spoilering to much. Did I choose the right character? He is a wuss or a good hero? Are there anyother characters aside from Loki and Thor themselves?

Also is the Essential Hulk's good to get as well? I didn't order them because I wanted to see how Thor is, but is this a good idea?

Basically, I am like a blank slate with Marvel and DC characters except for famous ones, ala Batman and superman (but those are from Movies and cartoons.)

Katchem_ash on

• Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Immortal Iron Fist, Daredevil, and New Avengers are the only "must-read" titles I can think of right now.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You judge the worth of a character by whether or not he or she is a wuss?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh

Just excellent

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Iroh wrote: »
    Immortal Iron Fist, Daredevil, and New Avengers are the only "must-read" titles I can think of right now.

You make me sick.

Astonishing
    X-Factor

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    If we're just listing titles, then Runaways and Irredeemable Ant-Man.

And Deadpool's not a wuss, nor are the characters in Annihilation.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Your screen name is Ash Ketchum and you won't read some comics because you think the hero is a wuss? Is this ironic ironic or Alanis Morrsett ironic?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    She-Hulk
    Sensational Spider-Man

For Thor TPBs I say Walt Simonson Visionary Collection (3TPBs in all) and Thor Disassembled Arc (Death of Thor, great read)

Algertman on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ultimate Spider-Man has been pretty consistently good (except for a few mishaps) it's entire run.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    Your screen name is Ash Ketchum and you won't read some comics because you think the hero is a wuss? Is this ironic ironic or Alanis Morrsett ironic?

True irony. Not Alanis irony.

I'd go with Spider-man if you're just starting.
    Why? Because Spidey's the shit, that's why.
    I'd actually recommend reading the Ultimate Spidey stuff first. Requires less knowledge of the 40 years of Spider-man comics than, say, Amazing Spider-man.
    Also, Immortal Iron Fist. His whole power? Fucking martial arts, plus the whole "channel his will into his fist, making it unto a thing of iron" thing.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    like they said, Daredevil v2, Immortal Iron Fist, Astonishing X-Men, and Ult-Spider-man are pretty much wins no matter what.

X-Factor is doing really well, and Ultimate Fantastic Four is pretty damn awesome too.

If you are jumping into marvel for the summer, you might want to check out the lastest hulk so you can get in on the World War Hulk happenings. Annihilation was also awesome. Civil War you might need to read if you really wanna stay up on whats happening right now - but honestly, its nothing you can't read on wikipedia - I say save you money and get something else.

If you like funny, go for marvel zombies, cable & deadpool, and irredeemable ant-man.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If you don't want a wuss charecter don't read Ultimate Spidey

I'd say JMS Spider-Man till Romita Jr. left, then quit reading, or you will want to stab your eyes out

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Oh yeah, Ares!

Pick up his mini if you hate wusses.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    NEXTWAVE. Pick it up.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    NEXTWAVE. Pick it up.

Good choice!

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Runaways-This is the only 'OMG YOUNG SUPERHEROS" that was really any good, pretty much ever.
    Daredevil-The ones by Miller, by Jove.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Iron Fist

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    All-Star Superm -- oh.

It's pretty stupid to limit yourself to one of the Big Two these days, yet a steady parade of new-to-comics morons continue to do so. Your loss, dude.

I'd rather have elephants tap dance on my dick than to limit myself to one publisher.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Terrorbyte wrote: »
    All-Star Superm -- oh.

It's pretty stupid to limit yourself to one of the Big Two these days, yet a steady parade of new-to-comics morons continue to do so. Your loss, dude.

I'd rather have elephants tap dance on my dick than to limit myself to MARVEL.

What you MEANT was...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Terrorbyte wrote: »
    All-Star Superm -- oh.

I'd rather have elephants tap dance on my dick than to limit myself to MARVEL.

What you MEANT was...

Nah, mang. I think DC and Marvel compliment each other well every week. There's an enjoyable variety that I think someone would miss out on by choosing one line and one line only. Plus, you miss out on some great work by writers and artists that haven't been one-company mainstays since day one.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    Runaways-This is the only 'OMG YOUNG SUPERHEROS" that was really any good, pretty much ever.

So what about Teen Titans and Young Justice?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I did notice you post some Marvel books in the This Week thread... I was surprised. I agree though... DC fills a void in that its space stories are much more interesting then Marvels. Except, of course, for Annihiliation, which was awesome.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Keith wrote: »

I know you hate this Keith... but fuck you, you hate everything.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Seriously though, The Titans have been kicking ass for 40+ years.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

what does that have to do with Keith's comment

also, fuck you Ethan you don't know what you're talking about.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Young Avengers was good too and fuck anyone who disagrees.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    P.S. Coming from someone who went from american comics, to Japanese manga, then back into american comics, I read a lot of vertigo stuff, and wikipedia'd super heroes whenever I was bored. Then I just sort of started picking up trades that looked cool, then I started buying singles.

Young Justice was the first comic book I ever seriously read, and it really got me into comics. Which, actually, was sort of the point of the book

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

Keith hates when people lime things. I... don't understand where the confusion comes from.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Keith hates when people lime things. I... don't understand where the confusion comes from.
    ah

you didn't really make that clear

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Young Avengers was good too and fuck anyone who disagrees.

Young Avengers is pretty unfuckwithable. Essential reading, along with Morrison's Marvel Boy.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    SASA Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

liming stuff is pretty lame dude.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    SA wrote: »

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    In terms of continuity, Ash...where do you want to start? I mean, I know you said you had Essential Thor but are you planning on reading anything current? I ask, because you should get anything related to X-Men: Age of Apocalypse. It somehow strikes me as something that'd be right up your alley.

Edit: GOLDING

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    SA wrote: »

How's that?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Keith hates when people agree with him, which is a shame since we all strive to be more Keith-like in our thoughts and actions.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You should read Spider-Man <3s Mary Jane.

It'll help bridge the gap between Western comics and Manga.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Moon Knight if you hate wusses. The man is either totally bad-ass or totally batshit crazy. The jury is still out on that.

Also Young Justice was the best teen superhero thing ever and I will murder anyone who says different

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If you read manga, do not be suckered in by the Marvel Mangaverse books. They're shit.

However, I thought Livewires was pretty awesome. Since you mentioned Japanese mythology, I believe there's an X-Men series, fairly recent, that was set in ancient Japan.

Also, Gravity's series was fun.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    In terms of continuity, Ash...where do you want to start? I mean, I know you said you had Essential Thor but are you planning on reading anything current? I ask, because you should get anything related to X-Men: Age of Apocalypse. It somehow strikes me as something that'd be right up your alley.

Is it not required that the Comic (for this example lets use Thor) be read from number 1 all the way to the current? I know in Manga, you pick up 1 and then continue on ther series until its over. Is this not required? I mean I know next to nothing about Thor (except for the Mythos but not the comic) and to develop a sense of character wouldn't you need to start from the beinging anyway? Or is it something like pick it up from the middle and you can know where they are at?

I ordered the Essential Thor because its a good sized book and that it most likely will cover most basic Thor stuff. How often are the Essential's printed anyway? I notice Thor has 3 while Hulk has 4 or so. I presume they will make it so it includes stuff say from the 30's (I don't know when it started, just using it as an example) till the current issue? The comic store said it does come out every year or so. But she also said that Thor hasn't gotten any updates so I am a bit worried about picking this up. I know with Manga there are some companies who leave it in the middle or at book 1, so I know it happens.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any preferance between DC and Marvel. She helped me compare the two and Marvel seemed a whole lot better with it going to right at the beinging rather than DC starting somewhere in the Middle. That and the price for the Book (Yes, Hardcover and colour and all) is what stopped me from getting the DC ones. I like Batman, but not enough to pay the price for something which doesn't start from the start.

Should I consider picking up Hulk too? I do want to read his Comming back and kicking everyone's butt story but I would get to know him better if I picked up his Essentials. Also I don't have any Essentials right now, in the next two weeks or so I should get them.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't there something like the Essential DC stuff thats starts from the begining? For $3-$4 per comic is quite an expense compared to the $10-$12 Manga I get thats got alot more story in it.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

Why must people point out when I'm exagerrating and don't know what I'm talking about?

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »

Is it not required that the Comic (for this example lets use Thor) be read from number 1 all the way to the current? I know in Manga, you pick up 1 and then continue on ther series until its over. Is this not required? I mean I know next to nothing about Thor (except for the Mythos but not the comic) and to develop a sense of character wouldn't you need to start from the beinging anyway? Or is it something like pick it up from the middle and you can know where they are at?

I ordered the Essential Thor because its a good sized book and that it most likely will cover most basic Thor stuff. How often are the Essential's printed anyway? I notice Thor has 3 while Hulk has 4 or so. I presume they will make it so it includes stuff say from the 30's (I don't know when it started, just using it as an example) till the current issue? The comic store said it does come out every year or so. But she also said that Thor hasn't gotten any updates so I am a bit worried about picking this up. I know with Manga there are some companies who leave it in the middle or at book 1, so I know it happens.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any preferance between DC and Marvel. She helped me compare the two and Marvel seemed a whole lot better with it going to right at the beinging rather than DC starting somewhere in the Middle. That and the price for the Book (Yes, Hardcover and colour and all) is what stopped me from getting the DC ones. I like Batman, but not enough to pay the price for something which doesn't start from the start.

Should I consider picking up Hulk too? I do want to read his Comming back and kicking everyone's butt story but I would get to know him better if I picked up his Essentials. Also I don't have any Essentials right now, in the next two weeks or so I should get them.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't there something like the Essential DC stuff thats starts from the begining? For $3-$4 per comic is quite an expense compared to the $10-$12 Manga I get thats got alot more story in it.

Superhero comics and Manga are totally different beasts. Manga usually has a large overarching plot with a clear ending. Superhero comics generally have "arcs" in which they tell a story, but the characters continue on from that. Superheros aren't as disposable as Manga character. Reading Spider-man from from the beginning isn't necessary because they're constantly trying to make points where new readers can come in and pick up the story.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.