As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying a car

FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I was half way between London and Bristol this weekend, when my head gasket went. (The AA were brilliant by the way). Anyhow, its a Rover and to be expected - and getting it fixed will be more than the car's worth.

The thing is, I'm want a car for the short term (maybe a year) - so I'm not wanting to invest in a nice one just yet. Given that I want something reliable, here's my question.

Do I:

a) Go cheap and hope? Then just flick it away in a years time.
b) Pay a little extra and hope to sell it on when I'm done?

I cant quite decide. I know that cars are generally money, pits - but I'm looking to solve the issue in the short term, without it costing an arm and a leg n the long run.

I'm in the UK obviously, should that be a factor...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fallingman on

• Options
    Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Buying cheap always presents the issue that you'll inevitably have to spend money on something for it. That's just how cheap cars are. The only reason I'd go cheap is, because like you said in a years time you can just flick it like cigarette butt and not even care. If you spend a little more, and plan to sell remember you're not going to get what you paid for it.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thats pretty much what I'm thinking.

I'd be happy to go cheap if I could be fairly certain that it would be reliable... My problem is that I know sweet F-All about cars when it comes down to it... I can spot corrosion etc as well as the next guy, but beyond that. Notsomuch.

Actually, I'd like to take the opportunity to expand the topic to include any general guides for what took out for when buying a car.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    1994-1996 Magna's are cheap as chips, but run well and go and go and go

The Black Hunter on