As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Roommate, lease and landlord problems

ArcathanArcathan Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys, usually I'm only a PA forums reader, but a situation came up in life which calls for some extra advice. Here's what's gone on:

A few months ago, a friend, my cousin, and I moved into a new apartment together, signing a six-month lease. Everything was going swell until I got back from a trip up north. My friend and I went up to visit his parents, who live about six hours away. We went up together, and I came down alone eleven days later (This was two weeks ago). When I reached the apartment and walked into my room, lo and behold there was a dude doing a chick in my freaking room! If that wasn't bad enough, my cousin had moved all my shit and my friend's shit into the storage area, breaking quite a few things like my futon frame and mattress, my desk, and bending and ruining a bunch of drawing and paintings I had done for school. I finally find that bastard and ask him what the hell is going on. He says that he thought we weren't coming back, and so he let people move in to take our places.

Skip forward to yesterday - dealing with the stupid landlords and the lease. I go up to the property management place, and tell them what's going on. They say that's impossible, and that I should call the police. I then have to explain to them that I was told they let the new people sign the lease, therefore they can legally live there. They then pull the lease, and find out yes, they certainly did sign that lease.

So my question to all of you is: Is that lease null and void, and therefore I'm out of it, or what? I've been all over the web on legal sites, and can't find a damn thing about situations like this. Any help? (Also, I live in - or used to - live in Boise, Idaho, with a zip of 83709).

Arcathan on

• Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Um. I'd be some pissed with my cousin and would make him cough up some serious cash for breaking my shit and being disrespectful to me. I can't think of anything constructive I can tell you though.

Call a lawyer. Ask your landlord to evict your cousin for breaking the lease or something. Make him move out.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    :shock:

Goddamn. What a fucker.

The first thing you need to do is call the tenant's association for where you are, and find out what the law is. You almost certainly have a good small claims case against your cousin, as does your friend. Assuming you were current on the rent, I cannot imagine what he did being legal. You may also have a case against the landlord.

Then, find out what the maximum you can sue for in small claims court in Idaho is. Then, you and your friend should talk to your cousin about how much he'd like to settle for. If he doesn't want to settle, sue his ass. Both you and your friend file separate suits. And if you do settle, make sure you get it in writing, notarized.

You may very well want to call a lawyer, too, depending on what the Tenant's Association says.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    A lot of the time lawyers will have a free initial consult.

If the dude won't vacate, call around the yellow pages to four or five offices and see if you can get a free sit down to discuss the case.

Shinto on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'd like to ask if there are any other details you haven't presented here, such as any complicating circumstances surrounding your trip up North, who these new tenants are, where your friend is now, and so forth. I only ask because there seems to be some aspect to this story not being presented.

As for them signing the lease, it sounds to me like you now have five people on the lease. Any chance of making that work?

Yar on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    If the lease was modified (say, people were added to it) after you signed it, then it's likely been broken.

Doc on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Question: was your name on the lease? If you aren't you're pretty boned and can't do anything but complain about the property damage.

If you held up your end of the lease you has then they can't void it without your permission. it's not a contract otherwise.

Also even if your lease was legally nullifed they can't simply rent the place to someone else or throw you out on the street. They have to give you proper notification and get a notice of eviction fromt he city to legally toss you out. That usually takes at least a month even if you weren't paying your rent. My suggestion is two things. MAKE ALL COMMUNICATIONS WITH YOUR COUSIN DOCUMENTED. Ceritifed signed letters with backup copies only. See if you can file an official complaint with the police dept. Won't really do anything but it'll be on the record. I'd look into getting a lawyer too.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    A lot of the time lawyers will have a free initial consult.

If the dude won't vacate, call around the yellow pages to four or five offices and see if you can get a free sit down to discuss the case.

Ask a lawyer and tell him the situation and ask what the law is.

I'd have hella kicked the cousins ass by now, so so hard, but don't do that because it fucks up any legal proceedings afterward. :P

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    MAKE ALL COMMUNICATIONS WITH YOUR COUSIN and the landlord DOCUMENTED.
    Sorry, of course, rule #1. Everything needs to be documented in writing. I hope you have a copy of your original lease. Get copies of the original and the new. Anything that was ever on paper, find a copy, and make sure anything important going forward ends up on paper and that you keep a copy.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    In reply to #5, my friend is still up north with his parents. The new tenants are my cousin's friends - all of whom I have a really hard time with due to the fact that most if not all are drug users. And not just weed. Hard shit. The one complicating factor I can see here is that there wasn't a whole lot of communication, just me saying we're going up to Lewiston for a while, we're going to still pay rent and whatever. Call us if anything comes up. Did he call? Not once. Rent was due on the fifth of May, I was there with our share of the rent money on the fifth of May.

Edit: Thanks for all the advice so far.

Arcathan on
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Arcathan wrote: »
    In reply to #5, my friend is still up north with his parents. The new tenants are my cousin's friends - all of whom I have a really hard time with due to the fact that most if not all are drug users. And not just weed. Hard shit. The one complicating factor I can see here is that there wasn't a whole lot of communication, just me saying we're going up to Lewiston for a while, we're going to still pay rent and whatever. Call us if anything comes up. Did he call? Not once. Rent was due on the fifth of May, I was there with our share of the rent money on the fifth of May.

Again, we really need to know if you're on the lease. If you're not technically living there, then there's not a lot that can help you documentation-wise. Now paying the landlord money, especially with your check, that's a different story.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Oh, well, this makes things way easier.

Call the cops. Have them arrested. Then sue them.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Sorry imbalanced for forgetting that small part of the story, but yes, I am on the lease. The three original signers of the lease were me, my cousin, and my friend.

Arcathan on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Sorry imbalanced for forgetting that small part of the story, but yes, I am on the lease. The three original signers of the lease were me, my cousin, and my friend.

Then they are, as we say in the industry, fuxxored. Rape them with all tenticles of the law.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Odds are, your cousin misrepresented you to the landlord (assuming you've given us the whole story). I mean, really, this is pretty fucking ridiculous. I can't imagine the landlord being too pleased with the situation.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    And the lease isn't over? Then i've got a great piece of advice for you... it's absolutally fantastic... are you listening?
    Thanatos wrote: »

Johannen on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, skip the lawyer. Call the non-emergency police line, say that you got back from a short vacation to discover that your roommate has had heavy drug users move in to your apartment. Tell them you're out of a place to live because of it.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    imbalanced wrote: »

Again, we really need to know if you're on the lease. If you're not technically living there, then there's not a lot that can help you documentation-wise. Now paying the landlord money, especially with your check, that's a different story.

Not entirely true. Most states still entitle you to resident status if you're been living somewhere a couple of months and have documentation to prove it(bills going ot that address, drivers license at that address, etc). Even if he wasn't on the lease he's probably still entitled to a proper eviction notice before he's effectively thrown out.

Cops firs tthen lawyer. if you have a proper police report a lawyer will know the civil legal ground you have as well. One of the key clauses of any lease(assuming you're on it) is that you effectively own the space. If someone is in it and refuses to vacate you can have them arrested for trespassing. Hell if they don't have good reason to be there you can even have a landlord charged with trespassing for going in your place.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    imbalanced wrote: »

Not entirely true. Most states still entitle you to resident status if you're been living somewhere a couple of months and have documentation to prove it(bills going ot that address, drivers license at that address, etc). Even if he wasn't on the lease he's probably still entitled to a proper eviction notice before he's effectively thrown out.

Cops firs tthen lawyer. if you have a proper police report a lawyer will know the civil legal ground you have as well. One of the key clauses of any lease(assuming you're on it) is that you effectively own the space. If someone is in it and refuses to vacate you can have them arrested for trespassing. Hell if they don't have good reason to be there you can even have a landlord charged with trespassing for going in your place.

True, I just figured they hadn't been there very long since it was a six-month lease and disappearing for vacation would lead to a response of replacement. *shrugs*

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
  • Options
    crakecrake Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Yeah, skip the lawyer. Call the non-emergency police line, say that you got back from a short vacation to discover that your roommate has had heavy drug users move in to your apartment. Tell them you're out of a place to live because of it.

Then update us, because despite all the horribleness of this for you, I think the police part is going to be highly entertaining for both yourself and the rest of us.

crake on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Johannen wrote: »
    And the lease isn't over? Then i've got a great piece of advice for you... it's absolutally fantastic... are you listening?

Also - be sure to mention the drugs. This promises your douchebag cousin and friends will at least sit for a bit in PMITA prison.

I'm dying to hear how this ends.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    If your landlord allowed the lease to be amended to add new people without even contacting you...well that's not too hot.

I'd think about finding another place to live after this is all over.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    That's why it's important to know if he's actually a signee on the lease. if they are amending it without his signature it's blatantly illegal.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The only problem is that if I don't really know if I can call the cops for them trespassing, as there is no lease anymore, right? I can always report them for the drugs which I've thought about doing for a while now...

Arcathan on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The only problem is that if I don't really know if I can call the cops for them trespassing, as there is no lease anymore, right? I can always report them for the drugs which I've thought about doing for a while now...

I thought you said you saw the lease and that you're on it?
    Edit: Why is there no lease anymore?

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Medopine wrote: »
    If your landlord allowed the lease to be amended to add new people without even contacting you...well that's not too hot.

Oh, yeah, absolutely, you want to get the hell out of that place.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Yeah what he said. You mean that it was edited for the new people? If he doesn't have the ORIGINAL document signed, then he's in a whole load of shit.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    To Johannen - right, I was on the lease. And then the property management retards put another two people on the lease, for a total of five. But since they did this without all party's consent, then legally the lease is broken, meaning I can't call the police for trespassing as its no longer "my property". That's if I'm correct in my assumption. If not, someone tell me please.

Edit: I have the original lease, with all three original signatures, dates, plus the property management's signatures and dates. The new people signed an addendum to the lease, legally changing the thing and therefore making it null and void (again, if I'm correct in my assumption).

Arcathan on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Skip forward to yesterday - dealing with the stupid landlords and the lease. I go up to the property management place, and tell them what's going on. They say that's impossible, and that I should call the police. I then have to explain to them that I was told they let the new people sign the lease, therefore they can legally live there. They then pull the lease, and find out yes, they certainly did sign that lease.
    I hope you saved a copy of the original, Arcathan.

You can just call the cops on them for the drugs. Also, for fraud. They lied to the landlord about you moving out.

Edit: Wait, you're still on the lease? That means they editted a contract without your permission. The new lease is null and void. Double-check with an attorney to be sure. In any case, you can call the cops and tell them "hey, I want you to search my apartment for drugs." You're on the lease, it's your apartment, you're a legal occupant of the domicile, you're allowed to give your permission.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    To Johannen - right, I was on the lease. And then the property management retards put another two people on the lease, for a total of five. But since they did this without all party's consent, then legally the lease is broken, meaning I can't call the police for trespassing as its no longer "my property". That's if I'm correct in my assumption. If not, someone tell me please.

You're wrong. You can't legally break a lease without your knowledge. Really, really call the police. Sooner rather than later.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I'm pretty sure that's hella illegal anyway, surely any contract can't be changed without the acceptance and knowledge of all parties involved? That's how it is in the U.K anyway, if it's not in the U.S then that's just stupid. If you'll need to get your hands on a copy of the lease and find out what happened.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Imbalanced - call them on what? Drugs?

Also, getting legal advice from an attorney is in the works.

Arcathan on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    It sounds like he's worried that when the cops show up, the landlord or tenants will pull out a lease that has their names and not his on it, and he'll just get tossed.

So what did your cousin do, exactly? Did he tell the landlord you weren't coming back? I realize you weren't there to witness it, but I'm just curious as to how he presented all of this to the new roommates, the landlord, etc.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I'm pretty sure that's hella illegal anyway, surely any contract can't be changed without the acceptance and knowledge of all parties involved? That's how it is in the U.K anyway, if it's not in the U.S then that's just stupid. If you'll need to get your hands on a copy of the lease and find out what happened.

That's correct. Also when changing the lease, they must show an amended date. Not just replace the original. If those people came on after the original lease, it has to be documented. If not, the landlord is as much to blame.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Drugs, fraud, etc. If they actually went to the landlord and said "hey, these guys moved out, and I want these other guys put on the lease, they're fine with it," that's fraud. I mean, your landlord shouldn't have let them do it, but you should still report them.

I seriously want to read the case file for this when you're done. I mean, if this is the whole story, this is some fucking crazy shit.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

For destruction of property, for illegal changing of a binding contract without prior consent, for distress, etc. Just tell the police the truth, including the drug use (but not mainly about the drugs) and the police can do most of the legwork. They'll probably get a city prosecutor if it becomes a criminal case, if a legal case exists then you'll just have to get your own attorney. Either way, you are 100% in the right.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Do you have a copy of the original lease?

Doc on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Edit: I have the original lease, with all three original signatures, dates, plus the property management's signatures and dates. The new people signed an addendum to the lease, legally changing the thing and therefore making it null and void (again, if I'm correct in my assumption).
    Your ownership is not broken, the new five person lease becomes null and void, not the one with you on.

They have broken the law, if you're still worried ring an attorney for information, there should be tonnes around, they'll tell you this. Seriously, call the cops or get an attorney. You can do the landlord the property managment people, your cousin, and the people staying there. They'll all get fucked.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    There is an addendum to the lease, with all dates, signatures (except for mine and my friend's) and authorizations. That addendum to the lease changes it without all party's consent (the addendum is a little piece of paper, not just a replacement).

So I ask for further clarification: Is this enough to completely and legally terminate the lease?

Edit: Yes, I have a copy of the original lease.

Arcathan on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    Do you have a copy of the original lease?

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    AH ok. No, generally it isn't an amendment unless all parties on the original contract signed the amendment. But there could all sorts of clausal circumstances.

But again, that's why I'm questioning what your cousin's angle is in all this. If he went to the landlord and told them that you and your friend bailed and he had new tenants to take over, they probably would just work up an amendment. I don't know what the laws says about you showing up on rent day and wanting to know who the fuck these new people are.

Is there a "first" name listed on the lease? As in, is your cousin listed first? If so, he may or may not have the right under the lease to declare you abandoned and amend the lease. I don't know, just guessing.

Yar on