As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Some of my Work

JawneeJawnee Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Artist's Corner
Hey guys! I feel so silly to have been a fan of PA for the last few years only to just now realize there is an entire community behind the scenes neatly packaged in forum format. Not only that, but there is a section reserved for artwork! Booyah! Count me in!

A little about myself for starters: My name is Jay, and I'm a programmer/database analyst by day and aspiring artist by night. I've been drawing for as long as I can remember but I've never had any formal training save a single figure drawing class I took a couple months ago. I stopped drawing regularly when I started college because everyone told me there was "no money to be made in art" but decided to pick it back up again shortly after graduating. Though I enjoy programming I do not find the fruits of my labor in that field as rewarding so I'm in the process of transitioning out of IT into Design. The process is slow going but I'm getting there. Anyhow, enough rambling. Here are some of my better works, all spread over the last 5 years or so. Glad to be here!

myal.jpg

spychic.jpg

emma.jpg

jawnee2005.jpg

gearhead.jpg

natti_ink.jpg

megameg2005_ink.jpg

guardian_angel.jpg

jay.jpg

zog.jpg

brei_halloweenhowl_2006.jpg

ike_turner.jpg

Weatherman_Color.jpg

Jawnee on

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    I'm sorry, mate. These are loading way too slowly for me to stick around and try to actually view.

Grifter on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Your internet sucks then. Works fine here.

bombardier on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    Weird. I'm at work. Probably has something to do with my moron of a colleague taking the good switches and putting in shitty ones. Guy didn't even turn on portfast for spanning-tree. Everything else that I'm browsing works fine. These are just loading incredibly slowly for me and we have a 10Mbps line.

Grifter on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Basically, its grifter's fault.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Those are some big words.

Also, nice drawings. 5 years is a bit of a stretch to be asking for crits, though.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    bombardier wrote: »
    Those are some big words.

Also, nice drawings. 5 years is a bit of a stretch to be asking for crits, though.

Thanks man! Obviously I'm not going to head back and change any that are super old at this point, but I always welcome feedback on anything I create. 8-) That last one on the list is only a week old so feel free to gut it like a fish.

Jawnee on
  • Options
    CorgiCorgi Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That old man is the rockin'-est old fucking man I've ever seen.

Corgi on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Corgi wrote: »

Thanks! I like his shoes, and his hair.

Jawnee on
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Woo, trolls! emotawesomesk0.gif

I think the old guy would seem less segmented if you darkened the outlines around his skin and hair (though that could probably also be fixed by having a non-white background) and added as much detail to his suit as you have on his face.

Deans on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You can draw anatomy. You can draw random objects. You can color.

Now draw backgrounds.

supabeast on
  • Options
    CorgiCorgi Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Jawnee wrote: »
    Corgi wrote: »

Thanks! I like his shoes, and his hair.

He reminds me of the grandfather from The Boondocks... except white
    Yes? No?

Corgi on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    supabeast wrote: »

Now draw backgrounds.

This has always been one of my big hang ups as well. :...:

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    couch-potatocouch-potato Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm going to try as hard as I can to put this into words properly, so bear with me.

The art is good, but I've noticed a lack of a few basic fundamentals regarding your characters. The poses are alright, but there are numerous tangents that deprive them of proper depth. Also, there seems to be a habit with use of "tube" shapes, which is a shape where it's borders are two opposing curves that are identical, take this cheap text graphic for example ( )... I recommend that you begin to really push curved lines against straight lines for a more dynamic yet realistic anatomy. Or if the shape must have curved edges, try using different kinds of curves to really bring some more life to your initial line work.

I have an exam to study for... I hope that was clear enough, if still needed I will elaborate later.

couch-potato on
    "We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special. "
    -Stephen Hawking
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    supabeast wrote: »

Now draw backgrounds.

This has always been one of my big hang ups as well. :...:

This is actually my focus right now. That and drawing more from real life as others have already suggested. For me it's an issue of having time to draw right now more than anything but that is going to change in the coming months. I'm cutting back my daytime work hours so I can spend more time drawing.

Jawnee on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This is pretty tangential, but I spent a whole semester doing almost NO drawing and focused on lettering and calligraphy with a variety of pens, pencils, brushes, and markers. What I learned from playing with all those tiny curves and lines has had a tremendous impact on the way I draw, and now my drawings, while still shitty, are a hell of a lot better.

What I’m getting at is that maybe you should shift to drawing in a different context entirely for a while, and then try bringing your character/figure drawing skills into that. It’s sort of like the way Tiger Woods completely threw away his golf game to try new ideas. At first everyone thought his career was over, but once he pulled it together he ended up with a new playing style that put him right back on top, better than ever.

supabeast on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    First off, just let me say I really like your stuff. :) Two minor crits I have are on the crayon and the old man. Just nitpicking here, but the knife the crayon is holding could use a bit of work. It doesn't look intimidating at all, more like a plastic toy. Adding some metallic texture on there and maybe a shine would make it look much more menacing, like the expression on his face. Love that expression.

Secondly, along with more detail on the clothes, the old man's hands jumped out at me as being off. They are far too meaty and young looking, especially compared to his face. Have you ever seen an old person's hands? They are thoroughly disgusting. They should be bony and liver spotted with veins bulging and knuckles protruding through the skin. I really like his face though, it's got that really gnarled twisted look. I think making the glasses less off camber and more squared would give it a nice contrast though.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg