As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The 360 Spring Update is Here!

kriegskriegs Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
Hark, fellow 360 users, the Spring Update is here! Just turn on your console and connect to Live and you'll get the update.

Here's what you get:
* Achievement notification: A pop-up showcase the name of the unlocked Achievement and the gamerscore value instantly as you accomplish it. No more leaving the game to check your Achievements list!

* Enhanced family settings: These important new features for Xbox LIVE communications enable different defaults for video chat and voice chat.

* Marketplace Blade: The new Xbox LIVE Marketplace blade lets you quickly access the content you seek—whether it's game content or TV shows and movies—from one place. Downloads from Marketplace are also up to three times quicker.

* Arcade updates: Quickly see which Xbox LIVE Arcade games your friends are playing and join in the fun. Compare progress of leaderboard scores and Achievements directly with everyone on your friends list. The expanded "Tell a Friend" capabilities make it easier than ever to boast about Achievements and high scores!

For more details, go here

They actually have some videos from Gametrailers on the Marketplace tab that show some of the features as well. I'm actually pretty happy about the chat features.

Be sure you enable your extended background download option, which will allow your 360 to turn off when you're done downloading content.

kriegs on

• Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Waiting for the first comments that this update bricked their system.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    the update is nice

Ranced on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    arcath wrote: »

I haven't heard of any yet.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    arcath wrote: »

I haven't heard of any yet.

yeah, but it happens every time. Also, in the 5 min I actually got to look at the update before work. It seems really nice.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Still waiting for the update where it learns how to do 1680x1050 over VGA :(

Ledneh on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Okay, so there's now a "Reference" option in the Display settings, with Standard, Intermediate, and Expanded settings. I've never run across this before. Can someone help me out and clue me in as to what this means? I'd really appreciate it.

Other than that, really enjoying the update! :)

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    oh wow there is a black level option for dvd and 480p playback

i noticed that dvd's and xbox games had lighter black levels before and it bugged me slightly. this is a nice fix

Ranced on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    updated last night at 2am, went very smoothly

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    says that they added H.264 video and AAC audio support, is that only in MP4, or does the MKV container work as well?

Kriz on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    there's a faq for the update here.

Ranced on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I installed this on a brick, it now plays Xbox 360 games.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    that is an amazing story threepio

Ranced on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Heh. I just happened to be restless at 2am, woke up, thought I'd check to see if it was available and tada!

I like the new Marketplace tab, although the themes I've downloaded don't have art for this new blade. That's kind of disappointing. Still, can't complain about a system where updates are coming fairly regularly with quality content.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Threepio wrote: »

I installed it on my brick and it bricked it.

Now it's just a block :(

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Threepio wrote: »

I installed it on my brick and it bricked it.

Now it's just a block :(

I hear you can fix that by wrapping it in a wet towel and putting it in the microwave for 15 minutes.

Take it out, let it stand, pour a light wine sauce over it and serve.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I like how it now identifies the game that's in the tray, and how it brings up the game info, gamerscore for the game and the four latest achievements when highlighted.

I am a very simple person.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Kriz wrote: »
    says that they added H.264 video and AAC audio support, is that only in MP4, or does the MKV container work as well?

http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archive/2007/05/09/spring-07-video-playback-faq.aspx

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Omeks wrote: »
    I like how it now identifies the game that's in the tray, and how it brings up the game info, gamerscore for the game and the four latest achievements when highlighted.

I am a very simple person.

Nonsense. I sat down to play and, after the update, saw the disc drive said "Guitar Hero 2." I smiled and thought "Man, I forgot they were gonna do that. AWESOME."

Mainly because I had no idea what game was in there....stupid roommates.

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    i've taken to asking this everywhere now, do we know yet if/when they're going to do anything about the rights for transferring purchased content if you get a new console? I thought that particular fix was meant to be coming with this update, but see no reports of it

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    i've taken to asking this everywhere now, do we know yet if/when they're going to do anything about the rights for transferring purchased content if you get a new console? I thought that particular fix was meant to be coming with this update, but see no reports of it
    Nothing is worked out. No solution. The internets thought that it was supposed to be fixed but that was just blind hope.

FaceballMcDougal on
  • Options
    capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Nothing is worked out. No solution. The internets thought that it was supposed to be fixed but that was just blind hope.

Does it even let you re-buy the DLC on the new Xbox 360, if it's on the same account as purchased it the first time? Or does it only show a "re-download" option?

capable heart on
  • Options
    K7 AvengerK7 Avenger __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Is there anyway I can change the Live ID associated with my live account? I guess I'll have to call support.

K7 Avenger on
    Irish+Assasin+J.png
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I like the new update to the Arcade - "friends now playing" thing. Very handy.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

serious? i thought MS had announced they were working on a fix for it. All they need to do is tie it primarily to your gamertag, then to the console that tag is attached to. Register it on a different console, content moves with it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    K7 Avenger wrote: »
    Is there anyway I can change the Live ID associated with my live account? I guess I'll have to call support.

According to some reports, not even calling support will help with that. Apparently you're stuck with that Live ID.

EDIT: Major Nelson confirms that this is the case, at least for now.
    Q: The email address assigned to my Xbox LIVE account is different to the email address I use on my PC for Windows LIVE messenger. Is there a way for me to still access my messenger account?
    A: Not at this time. We are working on the ability to allow users to change the email address they originally used when signing up for Xbox Live. The feature will be available in an upcoming release.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Also worth noting - if you're using a VGA connection, there are new settings for color that may make colors look more pretty on your set/monitor.

It's in the System blade under Console -> Display. Well worth checking out if you use VGA.

rufo on
  • Options
    major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Another handy thing - there's also a little icon (a curved arrow) that appears next to people on your friends list if they're joinable in a game. So now you can see at a glance if you can jump into your buddy's R6 or Gears match. Actually very useful!

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    WTF? The new video formats aren't supported in the Media Center Extender, that sucks. Guess I'm still stuck with Transcode 360 for everything I want to watch.

Give us some useful codecs Microsoft!

Ten on
  • Options
    Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    rufo wrote: »
    Also worth noting - if you're using a VGA connection, there are new settings for color that may make colors look more pretty on your set/monitor.

It's in the System blade under Console -> Display. Well worth checking out if you use VGA.

You're referring to the "Reference Levels" option, no?

Enhanced setting is worlds different than standard, I have to say. Black levels are so much more robust in Enhanced (Extended) mode. Blues and blacks look incredible on my television now.

Future Blues on
    Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    hmm question now.

Now what is the best format to watch on the xbox now. Bascially I umm "aquire" divx files and wish to know what is the best to stream them with, before it used to be .WMV cause that was the only option but I'm wondering if it's better to use one of the new formats.

The divx files usually are around 350 meg and for for around 42 minutes.

Also what's a good encoder? I used to use VLC but I am finding it is no longer converting the audio.

Now I know there is something (transcode360? [I forget]) that actually streams divx files to your xbox, my computer is too old for this and it takes around five minutes to start the stream and will only stream for about 3 minutes before it stops and needs to re-buffer so that is out.

Blake T on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    marketplace blade?

so I have to go and get new theme skins now?

Evander on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Enhanced setting is worlds different than standard, I have to say. Black levels are so much more robust in Enhanced (Extended) mode. Blues and blacks look incredible on my television now.

Ah, well that answers my question then. Fiddled around with it a bit, and I can confirm that the Enhanced setting makes the colors appear richer over VGA.

Evander: I'm pretty sure you can't actually skin the marketplace blade whatsoever. Microsoft gets that one all to themselves, to use for advertising, their own backgrounds, and whatnot.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Nice update all around. My favorite new addition is the low power download mode. Very handy.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    major_tom wrote: »
    Another handy thing - there's also a little icon (a curved arrow) that appears next to people on your friends list if they're joinable in a game. So now you can see at a glance if you can jump into your buddy's R6 or Gears match. Actually very useful!

That's awesome!

Kyougu on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    brynstar wrote: »

Ah, well that answers my question then. Fiddled around with it a bit, and I can confirm that the Enhanced setting makes the colors appear richer over VGA.

Evander: I'm pretty sure you can't actually skin the marketplace blade whatsoever. Microsoft gets that one all to themselves, to use for advertising, their own backgrounds, and whatnot.

fair enough.

my 360 hasn't been on all day, thanks to the late semester crunch.

Evander on
  • Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    marketplace blade?

so I have to go and get new theme skins now?
    They said in an older interview themes will not skin the marketplace blade. Instead Microsoft will change the blade depending on season and upcoming events. So you may get a winter-y one, or a Halo-esque one come November. Stuff like that.

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The best bit? I just saved at least 220 quid. See, I was going to buy an AppleTV and stream my (entirely legal to do so) ripped DVDs to it.

But they're all H.264, so fuck it, the Xbox now does it immaculately just from a USB drive.

And at 1000KB/s video and 192KB/s audio they still look and sound almost perfect, and at about 1.5 to 2 gig a movie

ben0207 on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So, uh, I can afford Xbox Live. I can probably get this update if I make a long enough cord to my router. I've basically only been playing two games on my PC: Freelancer and Day Of Defeat:Source. Should I even bother making the cord and paying for Gold for a month? I kind of want to see how Rainbow Six:Vegas plays online, but I have a shit-tastic TV.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    The best bit? I just saved at least 220 quid. See, I was going to buy an AppleTV and stream my (entirely legal to do so) ripped DVDs to it.

But they're all H.264, so fuck it, the Xbox now does it immaculately just from a USB drive.

And at 1000KB/s video and 192KB/s audio they still look and sound almost perfect, and at about 1.5 to 2 gig a movie

What app do you use to rip them? Because I'd like to do this as well.

Samphis on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Ten0101 wrote: »
    WTF? The new video formats aren't supported in the Media Center Extender, that sucks. Guess I'm still stuck with Transcode 360 for everything I want to watch.

Give us some useful codecs Microsoft!
    Strangely enough Media Center still does a better all-around job at playing video in WMV.

The only thing I download from the intarwebs is The Office until it comes out on DVD...

I'd maybe download more video but the world of posting video on the net seems to hang from DIVX/XVID's nuts for some stupid reason.

For movies if you want 5.1 surround you still need to "back up" your DVDs to WMV with the advanced audio profile so that's what I do.

FaceballMcDougal on