As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The PGR4 Thread. Oh god it's pretty.

Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
July 5th -- new screens, preview up @ Gamespot:

935830_20070703_screen001.jpg

935830_20070703_screen002.jpg

935830_20070703_screen003.jpg

935830_20070703_screen004.jpg

935830_20070703_screen005.jpg

935830_20070703_screen006.jpg

935830_20070703_screen007.jpg

935830_20070703_screen011.jpg

1163_0001.jpg

http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6173516&pid=935830&tag=top_stories;title;4
One of the biggest pieces of news with PGR4 is the arrival of motorcycles to the lineup of vehicles. Past games have been solely focused on cars, so the arrival of bikes in the game means a whole new set of challenges for the developer. For one thing, bikes handle much differently than automobiles, and this is certainly the case in the game. The extreme acceleration of the bike we tried during our hands-on time with the game took some getting used to, as did its extremely twitchy nature while making turns. Second, in addition to taking extreme detail when modeling motorcycles from makers like Ducati and Honda (among others), the team behind PGR4 had to model the riders themselves. When popping a wheelie, you can have your rider pull off more advanced tricks such as bringing his right leg over to the left side of the bike simply by keeping the wheelie going for an extended period of time. During a stoppie, you can have your rider extend his arm to "wave" at opponents by pressing the A button.
Motorcycles will account for roughly a quarter of the approximately 130 vehicles that will be part of PGR4. While PGR3 was focused solely on exotic sports cars that were all about speed, the keyword for inclusion in PGR4 is "iconic." You'll still have a huge variety of hot cars to choose from--the Corvette Stingray, Jaguar S-Type, and the obligatory Enzo Ferrari being a few examples--but the focus this time around is less on all-around speed demons than on classic, timeless models that have made an impact on the automotive world.
You'll be able to take those hot cars around any of 10 locales, five of which return from the previous game--New York City, Tokyo, London, Las Vegas, and the Nürburgring--and five of which are new to the game: Macau, Shanghai, Saint Petersburg, Quebec, and the Michelin test track.
But the weather effects aren't always as in-your-face as sliding around on ice. While zipping around the streets of Macau, for instance, we noticed a layer of fog hanging around the city; if you drive into the hills that surround the city, however, you drive up and out of the haze, as the fog sticks to the lower elevations in the city, much as it often does in real life. Weather will also be dynamic as you progress through a race, so fog can turn into rain or a thunderstorm, and spots where puddles build up can become slippery sheets of ice when the mercury dips below the freezing point.
Whether you're a four- or two-wheel fan, you'll be able to fly your colors in PGR4, thanks to a team-livery system that will let you create not only a team of drivers between you and your friends, but also a livery you can wear when out on the virtual roads either offline or online. We didn't get a look at the livery editor, but we understand it won't be as flexible as the paint/vinyl tools in Forza 2; still, it should be a nice way to give you and your buddies an online identity you can all rally behind. Teams in PGR4 can be made up of drivers who prefer bikes to cars or vice versa, and you'll be able to test your vehicular loyalties on the track, as the game will let you pit cars against bikes in any combination. In the single-player game's career mode, as you rack up some wins, you'll begin to see crowd members wearing your team colors in an indication of your team's growing reputation.
Photo mode will also be part of PGR4, and you'll be able to share both your pictures and video of your best drives with an online service dubbed PGR On Demand--essentially a YouTube-like feature that will let you share clips and pictures with other PGR fans. Producers said the game will have a Web presence that will tie in to this feature but haven't released details yet on how it will all work together.

935830_20070703_screen013.jpg

935830_20070703_screen015.jpg

935830_20070703_screen017.jpg

935830_20070703_screen020.jpg

935830_20070703_screen023.jpg

Recoil42 on

• Options
    KarfKarf The Past Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The image you are looking for can be found at: www.gaming-age.com

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Options
    EnvyEnvy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    New video accompanying the screenshots. I suggest you watch the full 720p hi-def version.

http://www.xboxyde.com/news_4312_en.html

1163_0005.jpg

http://www.xboxyde.com/leech_3798_en.html
    http://www.xboxyde.com/stream_3798_en.html

All dicks? Cumming on HIGH ALERT.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Are those in-game shots? If so, wow, that's awesome, but I have some difficulty believing that to be true.

They do look hot though.

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    sooo good

Ranced on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    <3

Pure awesome.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Are those in-game shots? If so, wow, that's awesome, but I have some difficulty believing that to be true.

They do look hot though.

Considering how damn good PGR3 looked as a launch title, I dont doubt those graphics for a second. Bizzare knows what theyre doing with the hardware

Please let there be a Geometry Wars 3 alongside this.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That dithering in the first shot looks so weird. Everything looks fantastic but then you have pixel-art trees.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    That dithering in the first shot looks so weird. Everything looks fantastic but then you have pixel-art trees.

I'm going to assume they're still working on getting the haze from rain right, and that's why.

Either way, that shot is the oldest one of the bunch -- it was the first screenshot released of the game. So, it's quite excusable, IMO. Make your judgements from the latter shots.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Is this a racing game or a weather simulator?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    omg my pants.............

Great.....now I have to go change.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    eelektrik wrote: »

They do look hot though.

Considering how damn good PGR3 looked as a launch title, I dont doubt those graphics for a second. Bizzare knows what theyre doing with the hardware

It'll probably be a demo. :x

(But if we have to buy a full version, then I want the arcade in the garage to change to a full version too!)

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2007
    nice shots

racing games on next-gen consoles look really nice

bongi on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    Those are nice and all but when is the camera ever in those positions while playing the game?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Jesus. Forza 2 demo, Crackdown DLC, and new PGR info/screens/vids all on the same day? I'm cumming too much.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    chasm953 wrote: »
    Jesus. Forza 2 demo, Crackdown DLC, and new PGR info/screens/vids all on the same day? I'm cumming too much.

No kidding, and the Halo3 beta is unveiled tommorow.

Also, don't forget the Dash Update yesterday, along with the release of Double Dragon on XBLA. This week has just been absolutely insane for X360 stuff.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I literaly just spat tea back into my cup.

FUCKING HELL

ben0207 on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »

Also, don't forget the Dash Update yesterday, along with the release of Double Dragon on XBLA.

TEARS OF JOY

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've never played a PGR game before but I just bought a 360. so how do these play?

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Really does look great. I still get annoyed at how lifeless people on the sidelines look in racing titles, staring blankly off into space rather than looking like they are reacting to the race itself. It IS still a work in progress though.

etoychest on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Basticle wrote: »
    I've never played a PGR game before but I just bought a 360. so how do these play?

Arcadey. Mindless fun, really. Did you every play Metropolis Street Racer on the Dreamcast?

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    it was nice seeing them recoil as the car raced past in one of the shots there, though.

edit: and i'd say arcadey.. but not entirely. At least, that's what i got from 3. I tried the demo of 2, and it just didn't feel right. 3, however, felt great fun to play, with a nice amount of of challenge in the handling.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Half arcade / half sim, total pure awesome. I love PGR3.

Oh Hell yeah.
    darleysam wrote: »

Also, don't forget the Dash Update yesterday, along with the release of Double Dragon on XBLA.

TEARS OF JOY

Aye, this has been a grand week. Not quite as awesome as E3 week last year, but there has been a whole load of awesome almost slipping under the radar due to volumes of uber-news today.

I need to see some Banjo Threeie.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

A bit of a mix. Not entirely arcadey, and not entirely simmish. The cars have weight, and handle semi-realistically, within expected speeds, but the engine is tuned a bit so that it's easier to power slide, cars aren't unwieldy to drive, and are generally just easy to handle until you try something nuts, go into a tight curve, etc.

On a scale of realism where Ridge Racer is a two, burnout is a three, Need For Speed is a 5 or a 6, and GT/Forza2 are a 10... PGR is about a 7 or an 8.

Much easier to handle than the sims, but doesn't feel ridiculously silly like some of the arcade racers.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2007
    Omigod.

So awesome.

The fact that they perfectly nailed the look of melting snow on the side window of a car traveling at 90mph fills me with happy. I knew the game would handle beautifully, and now I know it will look fangasmic. There is literally no way in which this game cannot rock.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    melting snow?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    melting snow?

pfft. The first Halo had that. If you listen closely, you can hear the snow touching the ground. Listen carefully.
    Bungie lies.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I want a 360 now.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    melting snow?

The sludgy wet streaks on the side of the car in the scene with the snow. That is what snow looks like when it melts on the side of your car as you're driving along quickly, pretty much exactly.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    melting snow?

The sludgy wet streaks on the side of the car in the scene with the snow. That is what snow looks like when it melts on the side of your car as you're driving along quickly, pretty much exactly.

this in the video? i'm going to have to watch that again.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    No, screenshot in the OP. Second from the top.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    ahh, gotcha, i think i was being pedantic. Snow/rain, it all looks damned pretty. Just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing out on some kind of secret, extra screenshot that only cool people/mods got to see.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Oh Hell yeah.

Now I'm all aroused

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • Options
    lofloloflo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I'm going to assume they're still working on getting the haze from rain right, and that's why.

Either way, that shot is the oldest one of the bunch -- it was the first screenshot released of the game. So, it's quite excusable, IMO. Make your judgements from the latter shots.

For some reason, dithering seems to often occur in screenshots presumably taken from dev boxes, on both ps3 and 360.

Look at the second shot from the top, for example. The guard fences are dithered up the wazoo. And I remember seeing the same sort of effect on early screenshots for Full Auto 2 on ps3. It also seems to occur in photo-mode shots taken in pgr3, as if the photo-mode uses the same techniques for generating a shot as they would use on a dev box or something.

And yet the other shots don't show any dither at all. I wonder if there's an explanation on the BC website.

loflo on
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Omigod.

So awesome.

The fact that they perfectly nailed the look of melting snow on the side window of a car traveling at 90mph fills me with happy. I knew the game would handle beautifully, and now I know it will look fangasmic. There is literally no way in which this game cannot rock.

if they make it like 3, it really wont matter how awesome it looks.

"hey, you just bought a racing game, now go drive around cones for 5 hours before you actually get to fucking race!"

not to mention that driving rwd is absolute garbage. spin ouuuuuuuuuuuuut.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oohhhhhh my God. This is the new bar graphically for racing games without a doubt. One of the best looking games in any genre.

bruin on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Looks great. Now if they make the cars out of metal and not rubber this time I might want to buy it.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Omigod.

So awesome.

"hey, you just bought a racing game, now go drive around cones for 5 hours before you actually get to fucking race!"

PGR isnt about the racing itself, its about driving and doing crazy shit you wouldnt do in a real car, which sometimes involves racing other cars.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Not being funny, but doesn't PGR stand for Project Gotham "Racing"?

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Omigod.

So awesome.

PGR isnt about the racing itself, its about driving and doing crazy shit you wouldnt do in a real car, which sometimes involves racing other cars.

i know, i just hated the cone races and the kudos events, and i hated the fact that to get to the stuff i enjoy, i have to go through the stuff i hate.

i hope for 4 that they atleast try to split the career into style, and competition.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap