As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The PGR4 Thread. Oh god it's pretty.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Although i haven't played it yet, judging by the screenshots, I still consider PGR4 to be the best graphics thus far on a console, it just looks so god damned gorgeous.

Photomode adds a lot of effects and AA. Of those screens I just posted, the first one is basically what gameplay looks like, but the second two look way better than the game actually does. There isn't blur like that in cockpit mode.

It's a great looking game, definitely among the best released to date, but I thought that'd be good to clear up in case anyone didn't know.

Well, I think the first one looks better than the other 2 anyways, I wouldn't want that much blur in gameplay.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yea, the first picture looks really, really good.

Too bad Orange Box is next week. D:

Ranced on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm sort of enjoying PGR4. There's a lot of tedious stuff to go through before it picks up. I'm no good at the kudos challenges, I just can't drive like that. I drive fast and clean, which means no drifts or whatever.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    More photo mode insanity
    m13.jpg

r83.jpg

r8.jpg

r85.jpg

bruin on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    wow, those PS3 graphics sure are hot!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    fkn creepfkn creep Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    yeah.. goodbye dirt.. hello pgr4

fkn creep on
    t1g3rstyl3.png
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't like to have a lot of racing games, so I am trying to decide on this or the new Burnout. Burnout 3 in the best racing game I ever played, but Need for Speed Most Wanted has had everything I have ever wanted in a racing game ever with its upgrades and customization and cop chases.

I played the PGR3 demo and kinda liked it with its sense of realism but not simminess of Gran Turismo because I can't drive those cars worth shit.

So other than the racing does PGR4 have any car customization thats is more than paint jobs?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Burnout 3 in the worst racing game I ever played
    Burnout 3 in the best crashing game I ever played

Fixed it twice. Burnout 3 had so much rubber banding it drove me literally insane. I'd get that "You are 10 seconds ahead!" message which was basically a warning that all the cars behind me were about to flash past me at plaid speed.

But the crashing was fun.

Namrok on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm waiting for the end of the month to buy this, fuck, I can't wait!

1479659518_8ca01b8da3_o.jpg

:shock:

Good grief!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    mescalitomescalito Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, I've spent a couple of hours with this game - and it's pretty much the best overall racing game I've ever played. Now, I have played a fair share of racing games in my time. From Vette! on my super old mac, to various NES, Genesis, Super Nintendo, and PSX 1 and 2. Not to mention PC racers like GTR/2 GTL, Race Driver, MotoGP,. Richard Burns, Colin Mcrae etc etc etc. All the way up to owning Forza 2 and TDU for x360.

This game pretty much takes all the elements one would want in a racer and makes them true. From exciting and interesting car choices to eye-candy galore. Personally I don't care about how much tweaking and modding you can do to the car; it's all about racing what you are given and improving from that, not adding a bunch of mods to help you win. The simplicity is what makes this game so accessible; Sims are frustrating - straight up. I don't know how many time's I yelled fuck you at the screen and it just becomes boring after a while.

This game will be compared to Forza no doubt, but let me just say that since the begenning I've always been secretly disappointed with Forza - the car models, plain graphics and gimmicky physics (who cares about how much load my suspension is under, or the heat of my tires, or whatever) all take away from the experience of a car game. Just fuckin' gimmie some cool rides and some roads and I am happy. Remember the original Test Drive's and Need For Speed's? PGR4 is the closest thing we've got to the racer of yonder - and it's accessible to everyone, you don't need to be a car-nut to play it

phew, sorry

mescalito on
    XBL: jawb0x
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Namrok wrote: »

Fixed it twice. Burnout 3 had so much rubber banding it drove me literally insane. I'd get that "You are 10 seconds ahead!" message which was basically a warning that all the cars behind me were about to flash past me at plaid speed.

Well I actually like rubberbanding. I like fighting other cars for first rather than leaving/being left in the dust and never seeing opponents again. The fact I can "Takedown" the competition by slamming them makes it all the more fun. In Need for Speed Underground 2 you could cop manuver other cars which I loved but could be exploited easily.

All in all I want to fight for first not race alone.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Picked this up yesterday but have only played geo wars so far. I already feel like it was money well spent. God I love geo wars.

corin7 on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    corin7 wrote: »
    Picked this up yesterday but have only played geo wars so far. I already feel like it was money well spent. God I love geo wars.

Wait wait, does this come with a new version of Geometry Wars?

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    going to rent it then from there maybe buy, but I just pre-ordered a copy of guitar hero 3, orange box and burnout paradise and I'm low on funds...stupid food and rent...but I may force myself to eat mr.noodles for a few days if the rent shows the game as being awesome as those pics look. I loved the 3rd one, I hated forza, it just got boring and I hated having to switch between all the different cars to meet race requirements, specially if it was a car I didn't like. But enough hate, I'll add some of you who have this game and maybe we can race to

Dixon on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Namrok wrote: »

Well I actually like rubberbanding. I like fighting other cars for first rather than leaving/being left in the dust and never seeing opponents again. The fact I can "Takedown" the competition by slamming them makes it all the more fun. In Need for Speed Underground 2 you could cop manuver other cars which I loved but could be exploited easily.

All in all I want to fight for first not race alone.

my problem with the rubberbanding, was that it only worked one way. I could be driving perfect, all-boost laps and still lead only by about 4 seconds. Then i'll screw up because i'm pushing too hard, crash, and by the time i'm back on the race, they're 30 seconds away and pulling out a bigger lead each sector.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

It comes with Geometry Wars: Waves, which currently is exclusive to PGR4 and not going to be released on Arcade nor is it included in Galaxies. You fight waves of triangles that come at your left to right and top to bottom, as well as a few of the classic enemies, and two more types of new enemies. It also now has Normal and Hard modes now, no cap on the multiplier(That I'm aware of from videos, haven't played it) which you increase by collecting specks of stuff left behind from kills, only 1 life, and no bombs. Its even more of an endurance game than before when you get your multiplier up to 500+ a few more seconds makes a bigger difference.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

yes.

play it on extreme difficulty.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    PGR4 would rock if it had a Smart Car with a Suzuki Hayabusa engine in it.

I will have to buy it tomorrow. I hope it doesn't have the Ford GT in it, cause it makes me want to buy one and twin turbo it ala Joe

It also helps my name is Joe, so it just empowers me more when they talk about my car. :D

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I've been playing all day, this game is really a joy to play and to look at and to listen to (if you turn the music off)

Cockpit mode + weather effects = SPOOGE EVERYWHERE

bruin on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    it has an electric car that can beat a ferrari.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    it has an electric car that can beat a ferrari.

I've seen videos of an electric car that can beat a Ferarri in the quater mile in real life, so I'd believe it.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I don't like the new Geometry Wars really though. If they gave you three lives to start then I would.

bruin on
  • Options
    NegrodamusNegrodamus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I love that I just sent my 360 out in a pretty white box...

It's gonna be a long 3 weeks.

Negrodamus on
    XBL: P3rcyMiracl3s | PSN: gumby24
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I don't like the new Geometry Wars really though. If they gave you three lives to start then I would.

i like it because its perfect as a party game now. all my friends love geo wars, so when id bring the 360 over we'd have to take turns and wait n watch for up to 20 minutes before getting to play.

i like waves because of the 1 life.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007

i like it because its perfect as a party game now. all my friends love geo wars, so when id bring the 360 over we'd have to take turns and wait n watch for up to 20 minutes before getting to play.

i like waves because of the 1 life.

Yeah, alright. You should be able to choose between 1 and 3 then.

bruin on
  • Options
    DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just picked this up today. It's pretty solid, and I really like the bikes. I can't really judge it now since I've only done basic races with pretty weak cars, but it looks like another solid PGR game.

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    the bikes are alot of fun, except the e-brake is useless, from the 2 hours i put in with em.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm very torn.

I can either pay off my Orange Box pre-order, or pick PGR4 up....

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    How the fuck do I change the car I want to drive in career mode? I picked a bike but hate it and I want to change, but garage seems to just be looking at every car in the game and not the ones you own. A lot has changed since PGR3, it's much more needlessly fucking complex.

Urian on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    um....

you can pick a new vehicle at the start of every championship. once you pick your vehicle, you use that for the duration of that championship.

honestly, how did you not see it? it goes to vehicle inventory after you pick the days' event.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mescalitomescalito Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    um....

you can pick a new vehicle at the start of every championship. once you pick your vehicle, you use that for the duration of that championship.

honestly, how did you not see it? it goes to vehicle inventory after you pick the days' event.

I think he wants to change the car in the middle of the championship - which you can't. I wish you could, I've lost out because the car I chose was not fast enough. Oh, make sure you fucking nail the invitationals or else you miss them for like a year or something - I thought I could re-do them, but i fucked some up and now I shall pay the price.

mescalito on
    XBL: jawb0x
  • Options
    Le LudophileLe Ludophile Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I can't wait to race through the streets of my native Québec city... :)

Le Ludophile on
    My left brain is here: www.le-ludophile.com
    And my right is there: www.myspace.com/8bitmetal
  • Options
    catalystcatalyst Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I wish the bikes had the option for independent front and rear breaking D:

catalyst on
    MainlineSIX.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    mescalito wrote: »
    um....

I think he wants to change the car in the middle of the championship - which you can't. I wish you could, I've lost out because the car I chose was not fast enough. Oh, make sure you fucking nail the invitationals or else you miss them for like a year or something - I thought I could re-do them, but i fucked some up and now I shall pay the price.

so basically he played one race, became impatient, and denounced it? class.

i didnt like it at first, but once it really clicked with me i grew to love that aspect. it lets you become really good with each vehicle, and theres no urgency in the career, considering it seems to just go year after year so you can retry events or pick the other event(s) you didnt pick on the last go around. in pgr3 i got good with the f430 and just stuck with that the whole game, this one has me trying out almost every vehicle i can.

and fuck gametrailers review for saying it doesnt have a revolutionary draw; what about the weather? it makes your approach to every course completely different.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    From the photo mode:
    http://pgrnations.com/PGRNationsCom/handlers/PGR4Handler.ashx?ID=9AD6710B17820AE3C7B0&mode=3

edit: can't seem to figure out how to view it as an image...

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Cockpit mode in this game with HUD off is mind blowing.

bruin on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    How do you turn the hud off?

Urian on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    During a race press start, go to options, it should be there

bruin on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I am torn about this game. I love the graphics and sound, but the gameplay really annoys me. Part of me wants to ditch it and get something else, part of me wants to keep it because it looks SO good.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I am torn about this game. I love the graphics and sound, but the gameplay really annoys me. Part of me wants to ditch it and get something else, part of me wants to keep it because it looks SO good.

Seriously? PGR has been my favorite real car (so, not Mario Kart) racing series since the second game. It just feels like the perfect balance between sim and arcade to me. And PGR4 is the best of the bunch from what I've played.

bruin on