As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

By Order of the Princess of En[chat]ments

1202122232426»

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2007
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I like Belle and Sebastian! They are a nice band!

My daughter has sandals with Belle on them, but no Sebastian.

isnt beauty and the beast before her time?

There are these wonderful inventions called "Digital Versatile Disks", sometimes called "DVDs" for short.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    thats where the song zip-a-dee-doo-dah comes from right?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ramius wrote: »
    Glaeal wrote: »
    Wasn't there a Disney movie that was horribly racist in retrospect, so they stopped distributing it?

I seem to remember a scene about a tar baby.

Song_Of_The_South-front.jpg
    :?:

That's it.

Have any of you actually seen it? I wonder how bad it really is.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That's it.

"With a cameo appearance by David Duke!

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Wasn't there a Disney movie that was horribly racist in retrospect, so they stopped distributing it?

Song of the South

That was such an awesome film. I hope I can find it for Maddie.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I'm sure you're thinking of Song of the South, which was actually a pretty good movie version of all those Brer Rabbit / Uncle Remus stories. The last time I watched that movie I was probably ten years old.

Vrtra Theory on
    Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My favourite Disney movie was Tron... :P

Haphazard on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited May 2007

Song_Of_The_South-front.jpg

That's the one, and I guess I can see why Song of the South wouldn't really stand up to modern attitudes, even though it was probably pretty progressive for its time. When I was a kid, my dad used to read me Uncle Remus Stories in dialect. I couldn't understand a goddamned word. But I do know now that "brer" = "brother".

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hap is actually this guy. He pretends to be German so that we don't find out.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    That's it.

It's not really that bad, though Uncle Remus is pretty much the archetypical Uncle Tom/ Happy Slave/ Magical Negro. It's pretty generous in terms of portraying him as a sympathetic and admirable character, but the whole Happy Slave thing is I guess problematic.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I'm sure you're thinking of Song of the South, which was actually a pretty good movie version of all those Brer Rabbit / Uncle Remus stories. The last time I watched that movie I was probably ten years old.

As best I can recall, the horrible racism consisted of the following:

- One of the stories involves Brer Rabbit and a tar baby - ie, a baby actually made of tar. If you're not already conditioned to know that it could be construed as offensive, it's not bad at all. It's just a black blob with a hat and shirt and a cork for a nose.

- Uncle Remus is a slave on a plantation who is friendly towards the white children. This is apparently bad because any portrait of a slave that does not focus exclusively on his being whipped by evil white folks is racist.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    There are these wonderful inventions called "Digital Versatile Disks", sometimes called "DVDs" for short.

ITT Jeff retcons the word "Video"

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Hap is actually this guy. He pretends to be German so that we don't find out.

Foiled! D:

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »

"Digital Video Disk" was its unofficial name during production, but the official name was always meant to be "Digital Versatile Disk," since it wasn't meant to be solely a video storage medium.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have read some Uncle Remus stories, and didn’t have any trouble understanding them. I’ve always tended to be good with dialect writing, though.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited May 2007

"Digital Video Disk" was its unofficial name during production, but the official name was always meant to be "Digital Versatile Disk," since it wasn't meant to be solely a video storage medium.

It still sounds stupid. "Versatile Digital Disk" makes a lot more sense.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    stilist wrote: »
    I have read some Uncle Remus stories, and didn’t have any trouble understanding them. I’ve always tended to be good with dialect writing, though.
    Yeah I might do better now. I'm not sure if it was on account of me bing a young kid who grew up in a mostly white town, or my dad's version of plantation-era black dialect sucking.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Yeah, I'll agree with that.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited May 2007
    - Uncle Remus is a slave on a plantation who is friendly towards the white children. This is apparently bad because any portrait of a slave that does not focus exclusively on his being whipped by evil white folks is racist.

But there is a problem with the "happy slave" character.

This is what people never get about Uncle Tom's Cabin -- he's not the hero of the book! He's supposed to be a reprehensible character, becuase he is the manifestation of white fantay, and an illustration of the cruelty and madness of what that white fantasy was (to perpetrate such unforgivable crimes on people who would forgive the unforgivable, who would tolerate the intolerable).

Basically, it's a denial of reality, a twisted fantasy.

It's really not OK.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Guys something really weird just happened today.

So, there's this barmaid at the pub where I go for lunch. She's cute, so naturally I asked her out, and naturally she turned me down (the old "I'm too busy" and "I'm already seeing somebody" excuses). That was a few months ago. I still eat there and she still works there, so we do run into each other from time to time, but it's always during the lunchtime rush so we never have time to really talk, just smalltalk a little.

So today, after the lunch rush, I was going over my notes before my afternoon class, when she came over and she asked me out for a beer. :O I'm meeting up with her later today. Weird. Something like that never happened to me before.

So... yeah. Maybe I should start an H/A thread to brag about it... I mean ask for advice.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007

"Oh I'm so happy I got this VD!"

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Richy wrote: »
    Guys something really weird just happened today.

So, there's this barmaid at the pub where I go for lunch. She's cute, so naturally I asked her out, and naturally she turned me down (the old "I'm too busy" and "I'm already seeing somebody" excuses). That was a few months ago. I still eat there and she still works there, so we do run into each other from time to time, but it's always during the lunchtime rush so we never have time to really talk, just smalltalk a little.

So today, after the lunch rush, I was going over my notes before my afternoon class, when she came over and she asked me out for a beer. :O I'm meeting up with her later today. Weird. Something like that never happened to me before.

So... yeah. Maybe I should start an H/A thread to brag about it... I mean ask for advice.

Wow. I guess when she said "I'm too busy" and "I'm already seeing someone else" she was being truthful.

Way to go! Validation is awesome.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Avalanche effect, Richy. :lol:

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Haphazard wrote: »

?

Also, seriously, I'm getting some lunch.

be back soon.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Haphazard wrote: »
    You mean one date with Facebook Girl got me a date with Barmaid Girl I had a crush on for months? Man, how many dates before my highschool sweetheart calls me up again?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yes, that's what I meant.

Edit: Seven, Richy. It's the magic number.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well really a lot of Disney movies are problematic in terms of stereotyping and exoticizing other cultures

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2007
    19990924h.jpg

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.