Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Opie and Anthony are in a bit of hot water

walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://newsbusters.org/node/12672 - O&A with Homeless Charlie discuss dirty things with Condi Rice

This is from their XM Radio show where they are not censored.

Basically they have some homeless dude on who talks about banging Condi Rice, Laura Bush, and Queen Elizabeth. It got some exposure from the Drudge Report, and there has been a lot of blogging going on. Kind of an interesting story, particularly at a time where it seems that radio personalities are getting the smack down.

Anything related to radio and censorship and such. There is a lot of news stories out there, and even more nameless bastards blogging about the phenomenom.

I like freedom of speech on this one, expecially when you are paying for a service and listening to a channel that cautions "expletives and offensive language". O&A get a bad rap for their antics, but I think they are funny as hell.

walnutmon on
xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
«1

Posts

  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Freedom of speech is a civil liberty that restricts the power of the Federal Government from encroaching upon your expression in the public square. It has fuckall to do about corporate endorsements of what you say or companies filling airwaves with your idiotic rantings. Unless the FCC is hounding you for using naughty language it isn't a freedom of speech issue.

    tea-1.jpg
  • walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, agreed.

    This isn't freedom of speech as I said, I think it is more about the outrage that these stories pull in from people all over. However, we haven't heard anything from the usual suspects. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson haven't had anything to say.

    Do you think they have made a distinction between comedy and so called political radio shows like Imus?

    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think they don't get XM.
    :P

    tea-1.jpg
  • AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    walnutmon wrote: »
    Yeah, agreed.

    This isn't freedom of speech as I said, I think it is more about the outrage that these stories pull in from people all over. However, we haven't heard anything from the usual suspects. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson haven't had anything to say.

    Do you think they have made a distinction between comedy and so called political radio shows like Imus?

    Imus's program was still comedy, but I guess the fact that he had political-type guests changed everything.

    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • CrayonCrayon TejasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think they've made a distinction between a service that openly admits that harsh language will occur and a program on a FCC maintained channel. There is certainly a difference between a pay for use service such as XM and public radio. It's like complaining that HBO showed boobies because you paid for it and knew what came on.

    Add me on X-Box Live: PrettyGoodCake
    Add me on PSN: LLatikuf
    steam_sig.png
  • walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Adrenaline wrote: »
    walnutmon wrote: »
    Yeah, agreed.

    This isn't freedom of speech as I said, I think it is more about the outrage that these stories pull in from people all over. However, we haven't heard anything from the usual suspects. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson haven't had anything to say.

    Do you think they have made a distinction between comedy and so called political radio shows like Imus?

    Imus's program was still comedy, but I guess the fact that he had political-type guests changed everything.

    Absolutely, I agree. I supposed that is why I added "so called", since that was part of the reasoning for the backlash. I would imagine that O&A are going to get a lot of heat on this though, since in the news this reads "O&A encourage homeless guy to rape Condoleeza Rice".

    I love headlines, they are always so.... damnit, what word am I looking for?

    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    walnutmon wrote: »
    Adrenaline wrote: »
    walnutmon wrote: »
    Yeah, agreed.

    This isn't freedom of speech as I said, I think it is more about the outrage that these stories pull in from people all over. However, we haven't heard anything from the usual suspects. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson haven't had anything to say.

    Do you think they have made a distinction between comedy and so called political radio shows like Imus?

    Imus's program was still comedy, but I guess the fact that he had political-type guests changed everything.

    Absolutely, I agree. I supposed that is why I added "so called", since that was part of the reasoning for the backlash. I would imagine that O&A are going to get a lot of heat on this though, since in the news this reads "O&A encourage homeless guy to rape Condoleeza Rice".

    I love headlines, they are always so.... damnit, what word am I looking for?
    Superficial?

    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Regarding Imus: I don't think anything Sharpton/Jackson says has anything to do with decisions made by CBS (or Viacom). Imus was canned because the network was afraid of losing advertisers.

    As irrelevant as Sharpton/Jackson may be, I'd be surprised if they made a big deal about this anyway, given the targets of the jokes being made.

    Lastly: it is in pretty poor taste, but a bunch of right-wing blogs filled with outraged posters is hardly "hot water" for people who make a living pissing everyone off.

  • SavantSavant Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    Freedom of speech is a civil liberty that restricts the power of the Federal Government from encroaching upon your expression in the public square. It has fuckall to do about corporate endorsements of what you say or companies filling airwaves with your idiotic rantings. Unless the FCC is hounding you for using naughty language it isn't a freedom of speech issue.

    Well, the First Ammendment and issues based on it only deal with government sanctioned supression and censorship. But there are freedom of speech issues which aren't based on legality. Self censorship is one such that is a matter of freedom of speech but not dealing with the government.

    However, if you don't like the generality of that terminology then suggest something different.

  • Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Savant wrote: »
    Well, the First Ammendment and issues based on it only deal with government sanctioned supression and censorship. But there are freedom of speech issues which aren't based on legality. Self censorship is one such that is a matter of freedom of speech but not dealing with the government.

    Speech isn't free from anyone but the government. Your company can fire you if you say something they don't like, whether you're an insurance salesman or a DJ.

    I guess you could argue about what comments should cause people to lose their jobs, but I don't consider that a freedom of speech issue.

    Now, if you're talking about questions like "should I stand next to the road and scream racial slurs at cars that drive by", we have laws about that kind of thing around here.

  • walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I am listening to this whole show right now, bought it on Audible.com, this guy Charlie is fucking hillarious!

    He is talking about freedom, and he is like "this is America", "fuck old bitches, i'll throw a brick at their head.. they don't like it, let them walk down another fuckin street."

    This guy needs a mic and a stage!

    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sorry for double posting...

    On his armed robbery charge...

    Bill Burr "Who'd you rob?"
    Anthony "Don't tell me a gas station..."
    Homeless Charlie "A gas station?! Nah, one of those fuckin jews with the glasses and the big mutha fuckin beards, big hats and shit... Fucked his ass up!"
    Anthony "Oh, one of the diamond district guys? ... What loot did you get?"
    Homeless Charlie "What you mean what did I get? I got six fuckin years!"

    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Too stupid to feel pain. San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Adrenaline wrote: »
    walnutmon wrote: »
    Yeah, agreed.

    This isn't freedom of speech as I said, I think it is more about the outrage that these stories pull in from people all over. However, we haven't heard anything from the usual suspects. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson haven't had anything to say.

    Do you think they have made a distinction between comedy and so called political radio shows like Imus?

    Imus's program was still comedy, but I guess the fact that he had political-type guests changed everything.
    I think it's more along the lines of that Opie and Anthony didn't make any racial comments during this. Imus on the other hand....

    makosig.jpg
  • walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I wish more people had listened to this show, because this Charlie guy has gone off on every single race. They even talked about Imus and such. One of the best episodes I've heard.

    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User
    edited May 2007
    Ever since Imus,... O&A *want* to get in some sort of trouble. Partially to show how fucked the system is.. and partially to see if the company still loves them...

    its all a tough love test.

    Good luck getting in trouble though with comments made on XM. ....

    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • RandomtaskRandomtask Registered User
    edited May 2007
    when are Opie and Anthony NOT in some kind of hot water?

    Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it.
    - Soren Kierkegaard
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Someone suggested that they are in hot water with their station because they were harping/insulting government officials (Condi etc) while Sirius and XM are trying to get their merger approved by that Government.

  • geckahngeckahn Registered User
    edited May 2007
    Adrenaline wrote: »
    walnutmon wrote: »
    Yeah, agreed.

    This isn't freedom of speech as I said, I think it is more about the outrage that these stories pull in from people all over. However, we haven't heard anything from the usual suspects. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson haven't had anything to say.

    Do you think they have made a distinction between comedy and so called political radio shows like Imus?

    Imus's program was still comedy, but I guess the fact that he had political-type guests changed everything.

    It also mattered alot that Imus was targeting specific non-public figures.

    Shock Jocks do this shit all the time to public figures. Its nothing new. See: Rush and "Barack the magic negro"

  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sharpton hasn't had anything to say because right now there's no publicity here. In case you haven't noticed he's a media whore.

  • tyrannustyrannus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    And a bigot.

  • ElkiElki hegemon globalSuper Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2007
    * What kind of backlash should Opie and Anthony expect
    * Is this kind of behavior acceptable when the targets are Republicans
    * Will media be as outraged as they were about Imus
    * Will Revs. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson intervene on Rice's behalf?
    So you could bitch about them getting involved, right?

  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sharpton hasn't had anything to say because right now there's no publicity here. In case you haven't noticed he's a media whore.
    Also as other people have pointed out -- there is a substantial difference between public airwaves and private subscription services, and I'm sure Sharpton and other public policy advocates are smart enough to recognize this themselves.

    wisdom wrote:
    if knowledge is power and power corrupts, be smart, be evil
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    Sharpton hasn't had anything to say because right now there's no publicity here. In case you haven't noticed he's a media whore.
    As other people have pointed out -- there is a substantial difference between public airwaves and private subscription services.

    The largest being lack of auidence and public attention. Thus the lack of outrage. Thus the lack of ambulance chaser type leaders putting in thier two cents.

    also the lack of pressuring people with advertising money.

  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    They sound fairly "by idiots, for idiots" to me, but then I have taste. Meh.

    tmsig.jpg
  • ElkiElki hegemon globalSuper Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2007
    Why can't Sharpton bitch about this so we could bitch about him bitching? Why?

  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    They're somewhat funny by shock jock standards but yeah

  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    Sharpton hasn't had anything to say because right now there's no publicity here. In case you haven't noticed he's a media whore.
    As other people have pointed out -- there is a substantial difference between public airwaves and private subscription services.

    The largest being lack of auidence and public attention. Thus the lack of outrage. Thus the lack of ambulance chaser type leaders putting in thier two cents.

    also the lack of pressuring people with advertising money.
    This is the thing -- I know you don't like Al Sharpton, but this is really just the wrong place to be grinding this axe, and I'm not going to let you get away with it. The reason this is less of an issue is because it's not comparable because it's delivered differently than Imus' content. You somewhat absurd opportunism to then turn this into a diatribe against Al Sharpton is frankly a little weird, and I'm just not going to pretend otherwise.

    wisdom wrote:
    if knowledge is power and power corrupts, be smart, be evil
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I was responding ot an earlier comment in the thread it's not like it came out of nowhere.

    Anyway this is an example of why I like subsciption services in theory. It takes away the primary mode of censorship which in not the FCC but cashflow. HBO has gone great things with thier freedom as a subsciption service. i kinda wish XM and Sirius would try a little harder in that deptartment rather than jsut picking up shock jocks so they can swear.

  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I haven't heard the original piece, but the report about it that I heard was that the homeless guy, a convicted criminal, was talking about raping Condi, Laura, and the Queen, and that the hosts of the show were egging him on by describing details of the assault and rape, such as how he'd restrain them and how horrified the victim would be.

    Maybe that changes something, and maybe it doesn't. The idea that this is just "meh" compared to the horrors of saying "nappy-headed" is, well, interesting, to say the least.

  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yar wrote: »
    I haven't heard the original piece, but the report about it that I heard was that the homeless guy, a convicted criminal, was talking about raping Condi, Laura, and the Queen, and that the hosts of the show were egging him on by describing details of the assault and rape, such as how he'd restrain them and how horrified the victim would be.

    Maybe that changes something, and maybe it doesn't. The idea that this is just "meh" compared to the horrors of saying "nappy-headed" is, well, interesting, to say the least.
    I think it's offensive, and I wish people would cancel their subscription to XM in response. I don't know how else the situation can be fairly addressed, though, besides in the market of ideas, which I think the bloggers and such are rightly doing.

    wisdom wrote:
    if knowledge is power and power corrupts, be smart, be evil
  • HozHoz Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, the only thing that should get them in hot water is the subscribers canceling. If the XM/Sirius merger is denied because of this I'm going to be shitting on congress.

  • geckahngeckahn Registered User
    edited May 2007
    Hoz wrote: »
    Yeah, the only thing that should get them in hot water is the subscribers canceling. If the XM/Sirius merger is denied because of this I'm going to be shitting on congress.

    I don't think you need to worry about that. The merger was/is pretty much dead on arrival.

  • Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yar wrote: »
    I haven't heard the original piece, but the report about it that I heard was that the homeless guy, a convicted criminal, was talking about raping Condi, Laura, and the Queen, and that the hosts of the show were egging him on by describing details of the assault and rape, such as how he'd restrain them and how horrified the victim would be.

    Maybe that changes something, and maybe it doesn't. The idea that this is just "meh" compared to the horrors of saying "nappy-headed" is, well, interesting, to say the least.

    I heard it, and to be honest, I didn't even think twice about it. Maybe that says something about me and not the content of the show, but I think your description of what they said is quite a stretch.

    I can guarantee, however, that the entire segment would have been dumped out (flattened) on a public channel, which is where Imus made his comment.

  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User
    edited May 2007
    Is Homeless Bob or whatever mentally imbalanced?

    Home-1.jpg
  • Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User
    edited May 2007
    the whole merger thing is rediculous anyway, if the government allows a monopoly because of this... THAT will really be a precident for the future, a big issue I have with XM is (as a fan of O&A) they advertise themselves as the last bastion of free speech, advertise themselves as raunchy lewd and free, and the second they are challenged and looked upon with scrutiny by people just trying to get attention they suspend the on air talent and dont defend them. I mean hell, I dont think most people care about this, as most people didnt care about imus. This like that is just a minority that becomes so much more vocal then the majority and companies panic. I know Im in no position to pretend being the head of a major satilite radio corp. But if I were XM I would have taken the comments and gone "The Statements made on Opie and Anthony on 5/11 we're lewd, obscene, and crossed the line... this and more can be heard weekdays from 6-11am on XM 202"

    but looking at the O&A obviously XM lawyer written apology they were just apologizing to gov't officials I think to appease the merger

  • Warder45Warder45 Registered User
    edited May 2007
  • CreepyCreepy Tucson, AzRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've heard the merger is a 50/50 chance, not by any reliable source, though. Probably depends on how well they lobby (read: bribe) the FCC/Congress.

    I've always preferred XM to Sirius as Xm had deeper play lists and was less hit driven on it's non-hit driven channels. The O&A thing pushed me over the edge so I cancelled. I really LIKE being able to watch, read and listen to uncensored material. If it's offensive to me I just stop watching, listening or reading it. I wouldn't care for having Amazon limited in what books it carries, HBO limited in showing only what was considered "in good taste" by the kind of people who would mount a email/letter writing campaign over something they didn't even see firsthand, so I voted with my dollar. I don't expect it to make a difference but I feel better that I'm not giving any more money to them.

    Live: Broichan

    PSN: Broichan
  • mojojoeomojojoeo SpringfieldRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I didn't really see this mentioned -

    This isnt a freedom of speach issue at all, but not for the reasons listed.

    O and A were told by their bosses to just drop it and not mention it again. They signed a contract expressly saying they would not mention the incedent again. Then they proceeded to do so. I can see where they would feel censored, but if you are smart would you not just try and let the incedent dye down? XM was content even after the incedent and apology untill O and A defyed them.

    It would seem XM was trying to make sure that o and a take them seriously.

    O and A have been begging for something like this or really much worse. They really want to go toe to toe with sharpton or someother big name. This however doesnt help them do that too much.

    I miss them on my radio but there case is pretty week given that if I directly defy my boss, I get fired not suspended.

    "The moment you were born we should have cut your head off. You were a message from god that he doesn't love us. We should have sent it back"
  • CreepyCreepy Tucson, AzRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's not a freedom of speech issue. Your boss can tell you to STFU and you have to or else have to find a new job. Freedom of Speech is kind of on your own time I think.

    It is a censorship issue. Now, I've heard the argument that it's not censorship because they agreed to sign a document that said they wouldn't discuss the issue any further. Telling someone NOT to talk about an issue is censorship as far as I am concerned.

    The channel was billed as "Uncensored". It's not.

    Live: Broichan

    PSN: Broichan
  • FencingsaxFencingsax Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Creepy wrote: »
    It's not a freedom of speech issue. Your boss can tell you to STFU and you have to or else have to find a new job. Freedom of Speech is kind of on your own time I think.

    It is a censorship issue. Now, I've heard the argument that it's not censorship because they agreed to sign a document that said they wouldn't discuss the issue any further. Telling someone NOT to talk about an issue is censorship as far as I am concerned.

    The channel was billed as "Uncensored". It's not.

    People are forbidden to talk about legal deals all the time.

    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.