As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Suggesti-on] PS3 or 360, which first?

UnderHero5UnderHero5 Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
Okay, first I want to say that I don't want this to turn into a negative thread about either console.

That said, here's my situation.
I'm turning 25 years old at the end of the month. My parents always ask me what I want for my birthday and I usually just tell them that anything is fine, never really giving them an answer. I usually end up with some money. So this year I was thinking of things I want, but am not willing to spend my own money on, and a PS3 pretty much topped that list. Of course I would never ask my parents for a $600 present, but I thought I'd be a little greedy this year and suggest that they go "halvesies" on a PS3 with my for my birthday (aka: 300 bucks). They agreed!

So here's my predicament. Once I got thinking about it, I said to myself "Well, if I am getting $300 then I could, in theory, buy a 360 and save a bunch of money/get another game or two". So I decided to give my cousins 360 a couple of hours the other day, since he had left it at my house.

I messed around with the Marketplace, downloaded/played a bunch of demos. Spent a bunch of time just messing with the dashboard, etc. I came to the conclusion that I REALLY liked the way the dashboard/marketplace/friends list was integrated. How you could bring it up during a game and whatnot. Pretty neat.

The problem is, there really aren't any "must have" games for me, on the 360. I own a decent gaming PC and most of the games I would want a 360 for, I can already play/have played on my PC. There were a few that I thought I'd like a lot (Dead Rising, Viva Pinata) that I tried and they didn't really capture me as much as I had hoped.
The other reason I'm apprehensive about getting a 360 is I'm worried it will break. I know I could get a warranty, but I really don't like dealing with that sort of thing, or worrying whether it's going to break right after my warranty is up, etc. It seems the PS3 hardware is more stable at this point. It could be all blown out of proportion, but my cousin IS on his second 360 since January of this year.

As for the PS3, the reasons I want it, well... reason, is one game. Little Big Planet. The game is exactly the type of game I've always wanted. It simply looks amazing to me.
Home looks very promising, but I just can't put much faith in Sony, as far as something like that goes. If it lived up to what I've seen of it, and developers support it with their games, then I think it could be really cool (I actually loved Second Life for a long time).
I'm also really interested in Motorstorm, and it would be the first game I buy if I were to get a PS3.

I'm simply not willing to spend $600 of my own money on a console. If I were to not buy a PS3 for my birthday, I probably wouldn't get one for at least a couple years (price drop).
I kind of expect a price drop for the 360 by the end of the year, so buying a 360 for $350 six months to a year from now would be a possibility.

So it goes like this. Buy a PS3 now, with birthday money, and get a 360 within the next year... or buy a 360 now, and get a PS3 two to three years from now.

I know it's all about the games. Right now I have 1 "must have" for PS3, and several "might likes" on the 360.

I've searched and searched online for list/info on upcoming PS3 and 360 games, and I just can't seem to find any good sources.
Does any one have any links that could help me make a decision? Perhaps a list of games coming out for both consoles.
Any info I should know about either console, that might sway my decision either way?

Right now, I'm having a really hard time making my mind up. I have a few weeks until my birthday. Once I have the money in hand, I'm just not sure how long I'll be able to hold out until I purchase one or the other.

I know the SMART thing to do would be to wait until Little Big Planet/Home is out, or wait until games I really want are out for the 360... but come on... I'm a gamer, I don't have that kind of willpower!!

Some things that might make a different:
I already own a Wii.
I don't own an HDTV (or plan to for a while)
I have an extra 19" monitor that I could hook one of the consoles up to, if I chose.
I generally don't enjoy FPS's on console.
I will eventually own both consoles, I'm sure of it.

Please, help me! Which first?

-=Evildoers Beware=-
XBL: UnderHero5
Steam/PSN: UnderHero5
UnderHero5 on

• Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If you only want one game for the PS3, it's not worth the price of the console.

I'd go for the 360. Plenty of quality titles coming soon, and so many already released.
    Plus it's cheaper than the PS3.

Also, about the "breaking" issue of the 360, make sure you get an extended warranty.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Nobody knows how the systems are going to be doing in the future.

Right *NOW*, the 360 has games. Lots of good, fun games. For every one fun game for the PS3, there's at least 3 for the 360. My personal favorite exclusives:

Dead Rising
    Saint's Row
    Crackdown
    Guitar Hero 2
    Burnout Revenge
    Gears of War
    Forza 2 (in a couple weeks)
    Lost Planet

And the list goes on, not to mention lots of fun in the live arcade.

I totally respect the PS3 and the potential it has, but at this very moment, the games library is just too minimal.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So while i'll normally recommended a 360 over the ps3 any day of the week (and still do) my system was bricked by the recent patch.

It is great, a patch is like a dice roll to see if your system will still work or not, and there is no way to roll it back like PC drivers. One better, if it is out off warrenty, they treat it as a hardware problem and charge you.

Oh microsoft.

Sanders on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    i just got a 360 a couple months ago, and I haven't looked back.

There is a lot of really decent stuff for the system, both on discs, and on the arcade. Plus, I am finding new games constantly to consider picking up, because of the free demos I download.

Also, there is a trend of late for PS3 games to be suddenly ported to the 360, due to the lackluster PS3 sales. I'm not saying that every single game will be ported, or course, but enough of them, I think, to say that a 360 makes sense for now, and when the PS3 is finally doing well enough that it can support its own exclusives, who knows, maybe it'll have had a price drop, or soemthing.

And, for the record, I'm also a Wii owner. I find the two systems to compliment each other; not take away.

Evander on
  • Options
    Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The PS3 has a small library and costs more.

The 360 has some issues with it's hardware stability and also lacks free online play.

Heads or tails really, I enjoy my PS3 tons though so it is really up to you.

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2007
    I think the X Box is the better option at the moment, because a bunch of might likes at a lower cost beats one future must have

Tube on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Neither. Wait a bit.

The PS3 will have a price drop at christmas, guaranteed. So will the 360, and it will have the new 65nm chip, meaning all the "problems" will be gone, and they'll stop overheating.

So if you can stand it? Wait till the holiday season. Then buy one. Either one you want, buy it then. You'll be in such a better situation.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    JbirdJbird Registered User new member
    edited May 2007
    You may want to wait like the poster above said, here is a list of PS3 exclusive games taken from the ps3 forums. I am thinking about getting a 360 soon already have a PS3. Both are great systems, good luck deciding.

PS3 list

Jbird on
    "No where in your rambling incoherent response did you come close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. We are all dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul."
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've had a 360 since launch and really enjoy it, but if I hadn't and were thinking about getting one now I'd wait for the 65nm chips and potentially a price drop.

PS3 is a wait and see still I think, too expensive and the library certainly isn't there yet. I do think I'll pick one up eventually, but I just don't think it'll be worth it this year.

bruin on
  • Options
    UnderHero5UnderHero5 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far, guys.

I definitely agree that it would be best to wait... but it would be fun to splurge. (Until the possible buyers remorse kicks in).

Also, Jbird, that's exactly the type of list I've been looking for. Thanks a lot for the link!
    Does any one know of a similar list for the 360?

UnderHero5 on
    -=Evildoers Beware=-
    XBL: UnderHero5
    Steam/PSN: UnderHero5
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If you must have one of them right now, get the 360. So you can buy Mass Effect the second it hits and enjoy it. Also, the library of the 360 is bigger, and there's a lot of good titles coming out this summer/fall. At least they should, barring any blizzards.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'll hop on this thread instead of making a new one. I'm in a situation very similar to the OP: got some unexpected graduation money, and I'm considering a PS3.

I owned a 360 and a Wii, but I sold them both because I was swamped with school. So my choice between the three consoles kind of hinges on:

PS3 -- Haven't played any of the exclusives, never had a PS2.

360 -- Played most of the "must-haves," interested in Guitar Hero and Forza 2

Wii -- Wife enjoys the system, I got bored with Wii Sports, played through Zelda.

So right now I'm leaning toward purchasing the PS3 because it offers the most new experience. Are there amazing games coming down the pipe for either of the other two systems I should know about (I haven't been keeping up on gaming news since I sold my systems). Or are there other reasons I should consider not getting the PS3? Is the hardware holding up better than the 360's, and what's the warranty like?

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    IMO, I'd wait until the 65nm chips hit (apparently we're looking at August for the manufacturing to switch gears) and buy a 360 then.

That'll still be in time to get swamped by the juicy love that will be Mass Effect, Halo 3, etc. Microsoft is lining up a month-by-month game release schedule to try and decimate the potential of the PS3 come holiday season. It sounds like "no duh" kind of stuff, but I am really excited as a PC gamer for the kind of shit that's happening with this strategy they've got going. Nothing on the PS3 appeals to me at the moment, and I can only see the lineup for the 360 getting better and better based on the released launch schedule for their next 6-8 months.

devoir on
  • Options
    El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've not touched my 360 since getting my PS3, although that's partially due to me picking up Oblivion on the PS3. The 360 is not quite as good as the hype, although it's a solid purchase. The PS3 impressed me more in it's presentation and general quality so far than I thought it would, but it's freaking expensive.

I'd go with PS3 and catch up on 360 stuff later. I only see myself buying one more 360 game (Lost Odyssey) in the near future. I'm also not really into shooters although I did give Gears and Lost Planet a go, Gears is very satisfying even though I'm not really a fan of the genre, Lost Planet not so much. I also don't get why everyone flips out over Dead Rising or Forza.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Since the 360 actually has a game library right now, I'd go with that.

Many games can be bought at budget prices now.

And the Arcade is pure awesome.

Plus, Mass Effect, Project Gotham Racing 4 and Halo 3 will be pretty damned fine games.

Also, a list of games, since you asked;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_360_games

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    KarfKarf The Past Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't know, it seems like you're trying to talk yourself out of both of them. I know you said you haven't the willpower, but maybe the best option would be to stick the money in a bank account until a game you want comes out.

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What do your parents do for Christmas? I'd wait until then; I sure am. By then any holiday price drops would have gone through and hopefully the 360 will be more reliable.

I would get the 360 for sure though. The PS3 just scares me right now with how horrible it is selling. Even though I don't think it will happy I get flash backs of all the other expensive systems that went down the tube. So I'm going to wait and see what happens when the really good exclusives do come out.

AZChristopher on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You really have to look at the exclusives we know about right now, coming out this year.

On PS3, you have Ratchet and Clank Future, Uncharted (which looks like the best of the bunch), Heavenly Sword, Lair, Little Big Planet, and Eye of Judgement. Some solid picks, with a couple of titles that are slowly starting to burn off their hype (Heavenly Sword, Lair).

On the 360 side, you'll be looking at Forza 2, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Ace Combat 6, Eternal Sonata, Shadowrun, Overlord, Blue Dragon, Bioshock, Call of Juarez, Too Human, and Splinter Cell Conviction. I feel it's a stronger list, especially if you look at Mass Effect, Bioshock, and Blue Dragon.

In the end, you really can't buy on the suggestion of others... you have to look at what's available, and choose based on your tastes. If you like what's available on the PS3, don't let me (or anyone else here) talk you out of it. Likewise with the 360.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The guy has never owned a Playstation 2. So, you know, there's that huge catalog of games to play, too. Honestly, I couldn't see myself without both of them; but since he has to choose, he's never owned a PS2, Hell, I'd say go for the PS3. You'll have three generations of Playstation games to play, plus HD movie capability. Of course, Mass Effect for the 360 is coming out soon, and it's going to be the omg bestest game ever, so I guess just look at the line-ups for both and see what games interest you more. That's what it should come down to instead, you looking at release lists, instead of taking a forum entirely seriously because you're going to have a lot of biased responses.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If he's never had a PS2, he should get a PS2 now. It's dirt cheap and it will tide him over until a) the 360 drops in price and goes to 65nm chips, b) the PS3 has a better library and Home might be out.

devoir on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Don't buy one of those consoles without owning a HDTV. just...don't.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Klyka wrote: »
    19" monitor works just as good (which the OP would use), I'm using one myself.
    But with SD only, then yes its kind of a bad deal to get a x360 or PS3 since you wont be seeing much of the pretty graphics they have to offer.

My advice: cheap ps2 + cheap ps2 games (durrrr) until christmas comes around with package deals.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Jelloblimp wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    19" monitor works just as good (which the OP would use), I'm using one myself.
    But with SD only, then yes its kind of a bad deal to get a x360 or PS3 since you wont be seeing much of the pretty graphics they have to offer.

My advice: cheap ps2 + cheap ps2 games (durrrr) until christmas comes around with package deals.

Does the PS3 have VGA support? I know you could hook up the 360 to just about any monitor, but can you do the same with the PS3?

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'd suggest just buying a PS2. There will always be at least a few games that won't work or have issues on the PS3. There is also the possibility of a price drop on the PS3. Without an HDTV, I'm sure the prettiness of a lot of games would be lost.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Looking at nothing else but the games, I would have to say the 360. The number of games that I will be buying over the next 8 months as a 360 owner is pretty staggering.

The PS3 has the potential of a lot of repeat titles in the form of sequels from the PS2 era, but most of those are third party, and thus, susceptible to being ported to the 360.

Honestly, it's hard to tell right now. All you can do is judge based on what's announced and try to project what the software landscape will looking like in 2008/2009.

Both will be worth owning, eventually, even if the PS3 comes in last (Dreamcast, anybody?), but right now the 360 just has more content.

Also, if you're looking at the cost of online, once you break down the $49.99 price for 12 months of Live ($4.17 per month), is it really that big of a deal, especially when you consider the superiority of Live over PSN?

The hardware issues are a concern. My 360 does freeze during graphically intensive games like Oblivion, but it's only after long stints of playing or having the system on. I bought a CC replacement plan, which I will be using later this year/early next year, so it's not a big issue for me.

Gaming-Module on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You know, I look at the fact that I already have a PS2 (even though it's starting to blink out, after five years), the fact that there's not much interesting to me yet on the PS3, the fact that it probably won't improve my SotC/other game's framerates, and the fact that it's six hundred goddamned dollars, and the rational part of my brain says I don't want one yet.

So why do I want to go buy one so bad? :cry:

Ledneh on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm going to agree with the suggestion to get a PS2 as well. Dirt cheap relative to everything else, and the library is massive.

jothki on
  • Options
    lazerbeardlazerbeard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I noticed the title said "which first" if you want my opinion, get the 360 now, play that for like 2 years, then pick up a PS3 once all of the titles they've been dangling over everyone's head get released and hopefully the price has dropped enough.

lazerbeard on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    I'm going to agree with the suggestion to get a PS2 as well. Dirt cheap relative to everything else, and the library is massive.

The games are also dirt cheap. You can get a ton of games for a few bucks each.

Couscous on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think 360 is pretty clearly the here-and-now system. PS3 will be more worth it next year.

bruin on