As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

To Pro or not to Pro

ToldoToldo But actually,WeegianRegistered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Moving to the US in August, and to become a completely generic college student, I am looking into buying either a high-end Macbook or a low-end Macbook pro. Here are the stats:

High-end Macbook:

13.3" screen
2 ghz processor
1 gb RAM
Not so good GFX card

Low-end Macbook Pro:

15" screen
2.16 ghz processor
1 gb RAM
A somewhat better GFX card

I get a tasty educational discount, so the high-end Macbook is only $1,399 and the Pro is $1,799.

Here are my thoughts: I've had a G4 iBook for two years, loved it to death, and now... well, it's dead. A friend of mine's got a Macbook and it looks like the natural thing to move on to now that my iBook is gone, but the Macbook Pro looks like something I could hang on to for a longer period of time. On the negative side, the Pro might not be so portable after all because of its size.

In addition to this, there are rumors flying about that Apple is releasing new laptops in June.

Any thoughts? If neither of these computers are good enough, let's talk PC laptops.

Toldo on

• Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Reasons to buy a Macbook Pro: Video editing, 3D animation that’s being rendered locally, playing games (right...)

I dropped around $2300 on my Macbook Pro; now I find myself wishing I has dropped $1400 on a Macbook.

supabeast on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    The only reason I can see for wanting a pro is if you need the large screen for editing images or whatever, and/or playing games whether it be through Bootcamp or like WoW or something.

bombardier on
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The only game I play is WoW, and I'll probably stop playing it once I move anyway.

EDIT: I'm leaning more and more towards the Macbook. It's cheaper, smaller and... black :O

EDIT 2: Or... or is it white? I hear the black one is a smudge magnet.

Toldo on
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Toldo wrote: »
    Moving to the US in August, and to become a completely generic college student, I am looking into buying either a high-end Macbook or a low-end Macbook pro. Here are the stats:

High-end Macbook:

13.3" screen
    2 ghz processor
    1 gb RAM
    Not so good GFX card

I get a tasty educational discount, so the high-end Macbook is only $1,399 and the Pro is $1,799.

In addition to this, there are rumors flying about that Apple is releasing new laptops in June.

Any thoughts? If neither of these computers are good enough, let's talk PC laptops.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook I'd probably hold off until the new Macbooks are out, especially since you won't be coming to the US until August.
    EDIT: I'm leaning more and more towards the Macbook. It's cheaper, smaller and... black :O

EDIT 2: Or... or is it white? I hear the black one is a smudge magnet.
    I'd go for the white Macbook, simply because it's cheaper.

My dad told me to start looking at laptops for college, and I'm definitely eying a Macbook. My dad hasn't been big on Apple products since the Apple II came out, and probably won't be too thrilled if I ask him for a Macbook. In addition, Macbooks are more expensive than PC laptops with similar components. Does anyone have a good article on hand about why Macbooks are worth the extra money?

Treeloot on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

If that's true, hoooold your horses until then.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well, I'm getting one for the ease of use, basically.

Yeah, I'm going for the white one. Even with an upgraded hard drive, it's cheaper than the black.

Toldo on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm still kind of annoyed that Apple doesn't release it's OS to use on whatever computers we want. I'd love to have my Home PC boot camp XP, Vista, OSX, and Ubuntu Linux... Seems a bit much though, but XP for older programs that don't work on other shit, Vista for newer exclusive programs, OSX for exclusive programs and video editing, and Linux for just general use and dicking around with Linux and Open Source shit. :^:

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Only thing I can really comment on, is that 15' laptops are fine for mobility. Hell, my brother takes his 17' all over, and doesn't complain.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118