As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Animation Thread

13»

• HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    I want Batman Beyond back... I mean, seriously, to have a cartoon where they go around saying "schwey" all the time still be that freaking fantastic...

And a Henry Rollins analogue with explosives and an anti-establishment attitude!

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wasn't that actually Henry Rollins and not just an analogue?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Yes it was, god bless his crazy ass.

And about the Spawn cartoon: it was pretty cool, for being based on such an incoherent wreck of a comic, and I liked the animation - although, yeah, the shadows could be a bit much - but the kicker was Todd's live action intros to each episode. This parody isn't too far off:
    TODD (Deathly serious...): Imagine, if you must, being a creature of the dark, yet wanting to be bright...this is Thpawn's conflict every day. But being bright is unhappenable for Thpawn, for his darkness is WITHIN. He can punch bad guys and his fist goes RIGHT THROUGH with blood and stuff DRIPPING and a big HOLE where their HEADS used to be, but such power always comes at a PRICE...

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm looking forwards to the new animated Spawn, but I'm disappointed that they aren't continuing where the last series left off. It had just started to get really good - Violator was starting to get pissed off, Angela was flitting around somewhere in the wings, and Wanda was pregnant with Spawn's satanic love-child. Now, they're rebooting the whole thing and starting over from the beginning. Which is a story I've already heard like 40 times already through the comics.

Which is Spawn in a nutshell, sadly. It's always the same damn story over and over again.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    How come I vividly remember the rather mehtastic Iron man series 1 intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQEzrkCeZkU

Instead of the HolyshitTonyStarkisbadass intro to series 2?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfWPDzvWNds

Because seriously, the season 2 intro makes the cartoon seem about a thousand times more awesome than I remember.

-SPI- on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    I hear tell the show (and the accompanying FF cartoon) was revamped and got massively better in the second season - of course, it had long since been cancelled where I lived, so I never even knew there was a second series until like last year.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    There's a day and night difference between season 1 and season 2 of the 90s FF cartoon.

DMAC on
  • SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DMAC wrote: »
    There's a day and night difference between season 1 and season 2 of the 90s FF cartoon.
    Same for the Iron Man cartoon too, as I recall. I'm not sure what the improvements would be called, specifically, but they both ended up looking less...well, chalky.

SpeedySwaf on
    edited May 2007
    My friend lent me the FF cartoon on DVD. The best part are the super enthusiastic episode intros by Stan "The Man" Lee.

"You're in for a treat true believers! This is the Fantastic Four's greatest challenge yet as they face off against the mysterious Mole Man! You'll be glued to the edge of your seat as they face off against Paste Pot Pete! Nothing could ever possibly top this episode!"

DMAC on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have the FF 90s cartoon on DVD got it from Amazon for like $15 it seriously rocks. Although the Surfers voice kind of creeps me out in the Galaticus episodes

smokmnky on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man, you people are high or something

I thought the FF cartoon sucked when it was new, let alone now that I'm an adult.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited May 2007
    Oh, it's not "good", it just got a lot better in the second season.

DMAC on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    As soon as I heard 'awesome Iron Man intro' I started to say, "I...am....Iron Ma-yee-an." I was not disappointed after clicking the link.

Although the 'radioactive spider blood' theme is still better. Oh god, did I mention I broke down and bought this Toon Tunes CD a while back? So awesome.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I'm looking forwards to the new animated Spawn, but I'm disappointed that they aren't continuing where the last series left off. It had just started to get really good - Violator was starting to get pissed off, Angela was flitting around somewhere in the wings, and Wanda was pregnant with Spawn's satanic love-child. Now, they're rebooting the whole thing and starting over from the beginning. Which is a story I've already heard like 40 times already through the comics.

Which is Spawn in a nutshell, sadly. It's always the same damn story over and over again.

God damn crap hell! That sucks ungodly amounts of ass. :( I loved the animated series. I have all 3 volumes of it on VHS. I watched it long before I got into the comics and thought it was great. The pacing is so much better and they left out a lot of the stupid crap from the comics. Usually I dislike movies/series that stray too much from the source material but I think the animated series ended up a lot better because of it. It is a shame it ended when it did though.

Anecdote time- When I was younger, around 9 years old my family won a trip off a can of zoodles or something to California as part of a contest for the Batman animated series. Part of the trip included going to the animation studio and meeting some of the animators as well as getting an original animation cel from the series. My parents opted not to go because my brother was really young at the time and it would have taken a whole day. Also they didn't think we'd enjoy it as much as going to Sea world.

Over a decade later, I'm trained as an animator and I would kill oh so many babies for a cel from one of the greatest cartoons ever. :(

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    BatBeyondSmall.jpg

I wish they'd bring Batman Beyond into the more matrue state of comic books, and really give him some badass story lines. He really has the ability to be a dark, cynical, and cool superhero. Much like his counter part the original Batman!

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah they really did Batman Beyond right. When it first came out, I remember really wanting to dislike it because i thought they were trying to 'X-Treme-ify' Batman. But it was so fun and great to watch that I was unable to hate it.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Max fucking Fleischer, man

Those cartoons were the best when I was three and they're the best now

You can legally download a bunch of his cartoons too:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=max%20fleischer%20AND%20mediatype%3Amovies

Treeloot on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Someone said Nextwave was coming to Adult Swim.

I want FACTS people.

Seriously I have the biggest boner right now.

Transporter on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Reynolds wrote: »
    A Nextwave cartoon on Adult Swim might be interesting. It could just be as wild and random as they wanted it to be. Maybe fifteen minutes of that and fifteen of Deadpool.

That was just me saying it'd be an awesome idea.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DMAC wrote: »
    My friend lent me the FF cartoon on DVD. The best part are the super enthusiastic episode intros by Stan "The Man" Lee.

"You're in for a treat true believers! This is the Fantastic Four's greatest challenge yet as they face off against the mysterious Mole Man! You'll be glued to the edge of your seat as they face off against Paste Pot Pete! Nothing could ever possibly top this episode!"

I always thought the intro for the first season was the only thing missing from the latest movie...

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Reed Richards is elastic!

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
    edited May 2007
    MikeRyu wrote: »

Sue can fade from sight!

Bad Karma on
    edited May 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »

Sue can fade from sight!

Johnny is the Human Torch!

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Nogs wrote: »

Sue can fade from sight!

And The Thing just likes to fight!

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited May 2007
    Nogs wrote: »

Sue can fade from sight!

And The Thing just likes to fight!

Call the Four!

fantasticfour.jpg

Bad Karma on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thing's air skis are a cruel joke, just like the rest of his life.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited May 2007
    I want to ride a hover bike in tandem sooo bad.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    That is easily one of my favorite pictures of the Fantastic Four ever.

I love it.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif